SqueezePlay OS (Version 2) for OpenFrame

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Wayne C

Re: SqueezePlay OS (Version 2) for Joggler

Post by Wayne C »

Error wrote:
Wayne C wrote:
roobarb! wrote: Me too on the high bitrate stuff!

From the reading I've done it would seem that Wilberforce has done all the heavy lifting on this one. If you follow his instructions here, it would seem that the applet and replacement of jive_alsa is all that is required; Wilberforce recompiled the jive_alsa binary, adding the higher rates (I'm guessing there - I'd need clarification). Our kernel is already geared up for USB DACS of various types, so that's not a stumbling block.

There's a possibility that jive_alsa won't be overwritten properly, so Wilberforce's fix for that is here. Then, if you want 192kHz, you need to patch your Logitech Media Server install.

As for adding this in by default... I'd be much happier if the additional steps in compiling beyond what's described in my old article were available somewhere (unless I'm just missing them). Supporting SqueezePlay on the original OS, as well as SQPOS, makes me pretty paranoid about knowing how the binaries were built. I'd also need to dig out a 96/192kHz capable USB DAC from somewhere to test, as I don't have any in the house. In other words, don't hold your breath! But the steps are straightforward... I could summarise them or maybe make an installation script in the future...

Anyway, I say "good luck" and let me know how it goes. :)
thanks for the run-through Roobarb, I have just cut and pasted all the links into the Terminal window as you kindly directed me to and I'm now listening to my Dac via the USB out at 96K , thanks for now.

As regards the 192K, I'm just happy with actually being able to listen to something at last . with my Meridian explorer dac I can get up to 192k. At this moment though I'm definitely getting everything up to 96k, which for me is a bonus considering I haven't got a clue what I'm doing with this thanks to both you and Wilberforce also.
Can you tell me what exactly you did do?
I executed the first link of Roobarb's post; then rebooted and was able to choose my USB DAC.
However I don't have sound..
Just reinstalling now the digital input isn't seeing my dac now , was last night I'm just about to install section one of wilberforces instructions , I installed all three last night , but I'm not really that good at this to be honest with you.
Wayne C

Post by Wayne C »

roobarb! wrote:
Wayne C wrote:thanks for the run-through Roobarb, I have just cut and pasted all the links into the Terminal window as you kindly directed me to and I'm now listening to my Dac via the USB out at 96K , thanks for now.
That's fantastic! What format are your source audio files? I'm actually very impressed that this worked - definitely interested in finding out what needed to be tweaked in jive_alsa's source now. :)

Sorry to report back but what I though was now working isn't , when I switch in the joggler it says dac not connected when the lights on my dac are being powered by the joggler so it's working!, wish there was someone around who could implement this EDO software into the new Squeezeplay program?. I cut and pasted the advice mentioned early it worked yesterday but today it's not working at all, if I unplug my dac for the USB and plug it in again, it shows up on the screen, I select it the joggler reboots and back to square one again saying dac "stopped" and not connected?.

It's so difficult when you haven't got a clue about Linux.
Wayne C

Post by Wayne C »

Must go to bed now as I've been trying for three hours to get it going again and I have had no luck.
Wayne C

Post by Wayne C »

hello Roobarb or anyone who would offer advice , re installed Version 2 again just now but when i unplugged the power and removed the USB install drive and switch the joggler back on im stuck at the openpeak screen and have been for an hour or more, can anyone offer a solution to this to get it back to the initial squeezebox screen?, this is turning out to be a complete headache for me!!.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Wayne C wrote:hello Roobarb or anyone who would offer advice , re installed Version 2 again just now but when i unplugged the power and removed the USB install drive and switch the joggler back on im stuck at the openpeak screen and have been for an hour or more, can anyone offer a solution to this to get it back to the initial squeezebox screen?, this is turning out to be a complete headache for me!!.
Installed on the internal memory? Did you install the MMC version? It's possible to write the version for external devices to the internal memory and then it won't do much in the way of booting. :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

To Wayne C,

when you have the Dac 'not installed screen' go to the 'choose digital output screen' and then reconnect the Dac (or switch it on off and on) this should give you the Dac info line which will show the Dac as Stopped.

From the stopped screen go back to Quit but select Relaunch.

This has worked for me in SPOS v1, I've not yet had time to play with the v2.

Did you check out this, remember not all Dacs work with the EDO plugin

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... MZnc#gid=0

atb

Ronnie.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

roobarb! wrote:UPDATE1: Oh, dear. The wireless performance is appalling. Something is definitely not right... :(
UPDATE2: Hmm, marginally better on an 802.11g network. Usable, but not impressive.
Ah, here we go. The documentation I was looking at didn't say that the brcmsmac driver was compatible with the BCM43225 - it was only talking about the b43 and wl drivers. Turns out that this card definitely needs brcmsmac. It's a BCM943225HMB combination single-band 802.11n (2.4GHz) and Bluetooth 3.0 unit that presents the Bluetooth as a USB device. Loading any other driver kills the Bluetooth and gives awful wireless performance.

Just need to mess around with firmware now to see if I can improve throughput speeds - it tops out at about 2.2MB/s, but it is very reliable with this driver.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
shadow1901

Post by shadow1901 »

So great

Do you find a solution to use the wireless in the OF2?
This is what I only missed.
I my case, I have to change the local timezone in Joggler with SSH to my zone.
The Joggler runs always in your England timezone.
If somebody want to change the timezone, here the command: sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

regards and I wait on your solution for wireless ;-)

shadow1901
shadow1901

Post by shadow1901 »

New Info

I inserted a Wireless USB stick from "Netopia" and it works.
Yeah, so I can use this one until you have to perfect solution.

Regards shadow1901
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

shadow1901 wrote:I inserted a Wireless USB stick from "Netopia" and it works.
Yeah, so I can use this one until you have to perfect solution.
Cool, that's good to know. I added a whole bunch of extra USB wireless drivers to the kernel in v2 so there should be a reasonable number of working adapters out there. The internal wireless needs a new kernel, which is compiling over lunch. 8-)
Wayne C

Post by Wayne C »

Man in a van wrote:To Wayne C,

when you have the Dac 'not installed screen' go to the 'choose digital output screen' and then reconnect the Dac (or switch it on off and on) this should give you the Dac info line which will show the Dac as Stopped.

atb

Ronnie.
Hello Ronnie,

Thanks I'll try that when I actually can get the joggler to fire up again !, the dac works perfectly with a squeezebox touch as my partner has one, wish I could afford one to be honest but the prices are going through the roof on the used market, hence me wishing to get this sorted
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Update!

For those of you lucky enough to have a snazzy OpenFrame 2, I have just updated all of the images to v2.04 - with OF2 support!

There are now two images for installing to internal memory - one sized for the Joggler's 1GB and the other for the OF2's 2GB of space.

There've also been a bunch of changes to the naming - as I'm having to differentiate between systems I'm settling on calling them OpenFrame 1 (Joggler) and OpenFrame 2 devices. You'll see the hostname has changed to 'openframe', but I'll continue to use 'joggler' as the username and password.

One last thing - auto-switching between internal speakers and the headphone jack on the OF2 is turned off at the moment. It's not designed to be, but SqueezePlay will make sure it's set correctly in the next version. In the meantime, just SSH in and run 'alsamixer' - then go over to the Auto Switch option and turn it on.
trs79

Post by trs79 »

Thanks it's running great on my Avaya branded OF2!
Wayne C

Post by Wayne C »

Man in a van wrote:To Wayne C,

atb

Ronnie.
Hello Ronnie have just installed the new software , and re installed Wilberforce's software, then I followed your advice to the word exactly as you suggested and it's worked , will I have to do that every occasion I power down please?.

]Image

]Image

Thanks
shadow1901

Post by shadow1901 »

Thanks for great work
I'll install it at Monday, because all jogglers are in office now.

regards shadow1901
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

trs79 wrote:Thanks it's running great on my Avaya branded OF2!
That's what I like to hear! :)
Error

Re: SqueezePlay OS (Version 2) for OpenFrame

Post by Error »

Does this screen:

mean I'm screwed and my DAC isn't recognised??
Can't image that??

It's this DAC:
click
Error

Post by Error »

JimbobVFR400 wrote:Try using an SSH client to log in and type alsamixer at the command line.

You can then change the master volume with the arrow keys. Not sure if it effects an external DAC but worth a go.
It does, Thanx!

It did the trick; after the alsamixer-command I was able (via <F6>) to choose my DAC and the volume was put at 41.. I turned it to 100 and it was what I expected again.
Wayne C

Post by Wayne C »

Have you got it working now??
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

To Wayne C;
[quote] will I have to do that every occasion I power down please?.[/quote]

Don't think so but these things appear to be a bit temperamental don't they? :roll:

If you unplug the DAC it might not be recognised when you reconnect, so then you will.

I often use the Logitech controller and just select "Switch off Joggler" and leave it like that.

If I use it with a powered DAC I switch the DAC off after the Joggler and on again before starting the Joggler.

I have found that some USB cables are also a bit temperamental, so it can be an idea to try changing from one to another.

The Joggler is great though and does exactly the same as the Touch.

Glad your good to go. 8-)

atb.
Ronnie.