SqueezePlay OS (Version 2) for OpenFrame

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
JimbobVFR400

Re: SqueezePlay OS (Version 2) for OpenFrame

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

I'll try again and check, can't say I remember anything in fstab that looked related though.

Edit: the fstab file date changed however no sign of anything else in the fstab file other than my manual entry. This particular Joggler is running the latest SqPOS on the internal memory.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Speedy replacement reply here!
Jarv_77 wrote: -Delete Joli from the linux boot partition on the usb drive..
You could erase your boot and root partitions, yes...
Jarv_77 wrote:-Download Squeezeplay OS V2 from Roobarb's page (http://birdslikewires.co.uk/articles/squeezeplay-os) and write it to the Linux boot partition on the usb drive,
Erk, if you do this, you would overwrite the partition table, so your media partition would vanish, along with all of its data. Bye-bye, music!
Jarv_77 wrote:- Reboot, presumably opening straight into the new Squeezeplay OS,
Yup, that would happen. :)
Jarv_77 wrote:- Go to Settings > Advanced > Additional Features > Logitech Media Server and install LMS,
And that should work.
Jarv_77 wrote:- Tell LMS where to look for the music files...???
Yes, but they won't be on your USB device any more. :shock:
Jarv_77 wrote:Is that all plausible?
It is, but if you write my (or any other) image to anything they always zap the partitions back to defaults. Much safer to copy off your music first, write the image, create a new partition at the end of the stick with GPartEd or similar and then copy the music back on again.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
Jarv_77

Post by Jarv_77 »

Roobarb, thanks for the replacement reply!
Exactly the info I needed, I hadn't appreciated I would be able to recreate a partition on the usb after installing Squeezeplay OS. That means in theory I can install onto a big ext usb drive set it all up, create a partition and load on all my music. Hopefully then I can point LMS at the partition without too much hassle - I appreciate you now have a Network mount or similar option within Squeezeplay OS.

How much space do you recommend I leave in the Squeezeplay OS + LogitechMediaServer partition? 4GB to be safe?

Looking forward to having this working!
Cheers
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Jarv_77 wrote:How much space do you recommend I leave in the Squeezeplay OS + LogitechMediaServer partition? 4GB to be safe?
Yes, 4GB should be plenty. The layout should end up being a teeny sqp-boot partition, then the 4GB sqp-root, then your music partition. If you make your music partition FAT format it's nice and easy to copy files on and off from any system and it'll auto mount in SQPOS (though I can't remember exactly where - probably /media!).
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
Imagewerx

Post by Imagewerx »

Finally got it all installed and working (sort of!).LMS is working as internet radio etc,but it won't recognise and play any USB drives I plug into it,they flash to show they're talking to the Joggler,but don't show anything in 'My Music'.Any ideas please?
castalla

Post by castalla »

Did you tell LMS where to look for the music files?
Imagewerx

Post by Imagewerx »

castalla wrote:Did you tell LMS where to look for the music files?
No I didn't because I don't remember having to do that with my original Squeeze Box Touch (I probably did but I have the memory span of a goldfish) :oops: .I have done now and it's working perfectly,including working from my smartphone app.

Thanks for the help BTW.It's all on internal memory for now,if there's any problems I'll move it all to external.Next step is to give it a Toslink output and hopefully get FLIRC working on it.
castalla

Post by castalla »

Flirc should work fine Use the attatched file - change the extension to .fcfg - to program flirc. This will work with the standard Touch remote.

You can't assign presets with this - I got presets working a while ago but it was an absolute pain (and I've forgotten how I did it!)
Attachments
JOGGLERflirc_config.fcfg.txt
xhange extesion to .fcfg
(161 Bytes) Downloaded 225 times
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

How do you connect to the internet? If you don't use the WiFi you can install a USB stick internally in place of the WiFi card so leaving the external USB still free.
Imagewerx wrote:
No I didn't because I don't remember having to do that with my original Squeeze Box Touch (I probably did but I have the memory span of a goldfish) :oops: .I have done now and it's working perfectly,including working from my smartphone app.

Thanks for the help BTW.It's all on internal memory for now,if there's any problems I'll move it all to external.Next step is to give it a Toslink output and hopefully get FLIRC working on it.
Imagewerx

Post by Imagewerx »

castalla wrote:Flirc should work fine Use the attatched file - change the extension to .fcfg - to program flirc. This will work with the standard Touch remote.

You can't assign presets with this - I got presets working a while ago but it was an absolute pain (and I've forgotten how I did it!)
Thanks again.It's being used in my car and I already have a multi function steering wheel converted to infra red remote control with a learning IRmimic module.Presets won't be needed it's already programmed for volume up,volume down,track up,track down,play/pause and power.
Imagewerx

Post by Imagewerx »

JimbobVFR400 wrote:How do you connect to the internet? If you don't use the WiFi you can install a USB stick internally in place of the WiFi card so leaving the external USB still free.
Imagewerx wrote:

I only need wi-fi to connect to my smartphone as the main controller,the Joggler might even be fitted as a hideaway unit
castalla

Post by castalla »

You know that you can use the Touch as a controller also?
Imagewerx

Post by Imagewerx »

castalla wrote:You know that you can use the Touch as a controller also?
I hadn't really thought about it,but it does make sense.I killed it anyway so thought I'd have a go with the only viable alternative to the touch.
castalla

Post by castalla »

You mean your Touch is dead?
Imagewerx

Post by Imagewerx »

castalla wrote:You mean your Touch is dead?
Yes.I had a home made remote infra red eye,one of the wires came off the small board it was mounted onto and touched the one next to it.A slight burning smell from the Touch and it was RIP.
Imagewerx

Post by Imagewerx »

Meant to ask last night,but is the SPDIF (Toslink) output enabled in this O/S?
castalla

Post by castalla »

Can't help on this. Hope you get a response.
Imagewerx

Post by Imagewerx »

castalla wrote:Can't help on this. Hope you get a response.
Thank you.Anyone,Bueller :lol: ?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Imagewerx wrote:Meant to ask last night,but is the SPDIF (Toslink) output enabled in this O/S?
If you solder on your own optical socket (good instructions on the wiki) then change the device in /etc/asound.conf from 0 to 1, yes, it should work fine.
Imagewerx

Post by Imagewerx »

roobarb! wrote:
Imagewerx wrote:Meant to ask last night,but is the SPDIF (Toslink) output enabled in this O/S?
If you solder on your own optical socket (good instructions on the wiki) then change the device in /etc/asound.conf from 0 to 1, yes, it should work fine.
Ok thanks for that.Soldering I can do,but I'm the noobiest of noobs when it comes to stuff like SSH.I can get as far as being logged into it using PuTTY,what do I do after that please?