SqueezePlay OS (Version 2) for OpenFrame

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
jjr2000

Re: SqueezePlay OS (Version 2) for OpenFrame

Post by jjr2000 »

Thanks for the help!
The problem turned out to be that LAME wasn't installed into my LMS install on my streaming pc! oops
The install could have made it cleared though when installing LMS that LAME was required for certain file types.
Should maybe add an article to the squeeze play info saying if using separate machine to stream audio that LAME must be installed into the bin folder.
but anyway Thanks for the help it made diagnostic a breeze! :)
marctwo

Post by marctwo »

I tried to use Squeezeplay today after a couple of days and it would not give me an artist or album listing, I just got the spinning 'busy' wheel. I rebooted and it worked fine again.

Would there be a simple way to have the Joggler reboot each night so this doesn't happen again?

Also, after rebooting, is it possible for squeezeplay to load into 'off' mode?
jt225741

Getting Google Music Plugin working with Squeezeplay OS

Post by jt225741 »

Hi All,

Anyone interested in helping me getting the Google Play music plugin working with SqueezePlay OS? Can it possibly work with an external LMS instance running on windows?

https://github.com/hechtus/squeezebox-googlemusic

They have it working here apparently:

http://vortexbox.org/forum/vortexbox/ge ... ooglemusic

If I can get this working on the Joggler with an external LMS instance running on Windows it would be ideal. But I will settle for a local instance running on Joggler :)

Now wouldn't this be cool?

Thanks
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

-=xXx=- wrote:Hi...
Where can I get 1.09 version ?
I tried to run xbmc with this one but it is rely slow as I know 1.09 has better video support...
I'm running it from internal memory.
Here's Version 1.09 if you need it.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

marctwo wrote:I tried to use Squeezeplay today after a couple of days and it would not give me an artist or album listing, I just got the spinning 'busy' wheel. I rebooted and it worked fine again.

Would there be a simple way to have the Joggler reboot each night so this doesn't happen again?
Sounds like there was a network problem that it didn't recover from - you could reboot each night, but that feels like treating the symptom and not the problem to me. Are you on wireless?

You can reboot every night using a cron entry - this should help.
marctwo wrote:Also, after rebooting, is it possible for squeezeplay to load into 'off' mode?
Mmm, I have no idea. Does it need to be off? Could you not just set the display to sleep after a few seconds of not playing anything?
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
Andi

Post by Andi »

Just an update on my Joggler running SqOS - loving it!!

I have it as my 'central server' with a 1.5TB hard-drive attached via USB and booting from a 16GB USB stick I installed inside the Joggler, replacing the WiFi.
It replaces my Raspberry Pi which was my 'central server' and has proven so much quicker (especially with the gigabit port and more processor power).

The services I have running are, Webmin, Couchpotato, sabNZBb, SickBeard, Transmission, Squeeze LMS & Squeezeplay (to a speaker routed in the bathroom), NFS and SMB file share, Lighttpd for hard-drive web access (easiest way to copy a TV program to a tablet, I find), BT FON heartbeat (http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 9&p=491637 ) plus of course SSH access.
All this running superbly. I've added a file-based swap (couldn't be arsed to take the Joggler apart to repartition the USB stick!) but to date it's actually only ever used 4.96MB of it - so barely touched.

Using webmin is great - it helps with general maintenance and makes certain things really easy. I particular like using cron to manage my startups - really easy way of doing it, so I can get sickbeard, sabNZb, etc etc all running at startup without having to write rc.d scripts.

I did have some issues with things hanging after running for 5+ days (sometimes longer) and really could not work out why. It could've been RAM as it was before the swap file, but I did the 'hacky' fix of setting cron to do a reboot at 5.15am every day to allow it to be a fresh bootup every morning.

So - the system is working great and I really appreciate all the work Andy has put in to reclassify the Joggler as a proper home server workhorse!
palindrom

Post by palindrom »

marctwo wrote:I tried to use Squeezeplay today after a couple of days and it would not give me an artist or album listing, I just got the spinning 'busy' wheel. I rebooted and it worked fine again.

Also, after rebooting, is it possible for squeezeplay to load into 'off' mode?

The LMS PowerSave Plugin from Jason Holtzapple might help to switch 'off' the player.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Andi wrote:Just an update on my Joggler running SqOS - loving it!!
Awesome! :)
jimeney

Post by jimeney »

Nicely done. A step-by-step guide to getting this up and running would be awesome. Are you using SqueezePlay in its entirety, or SqueezeLite as a background task?

Andi wrote:Just an update on my Joggler running SqOS - loving it!!

I have it as my 'central server' with a 1.5TB hard-drive attached via USB and booting from a 16GB USB stick I installed inside the Joggler, replacing the WiFi.
It replaces my Raspberry Pi which was my 'central server' and has proven so much quicker (especially with the gigabit port and more processor power).

The services I have running are, Webmin, Couchpotato, sabNZBb, SickBeard, Transmission, Squeeze LMS & Squeezeplay (to a speaker routed in the bathroom), NFS and SMB file share, Lighttpd for hard-drive web access (easiest way to copy a TV program to a tablet, I find), BT FON heartbeat (http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 9&p=491637 ) plus of course SSH access.
All this running superbly. I've added a file-based swap (couldn't be arsed to take the Joggler apart to repartition the USB stick!) but to date it's actually only ever used 4.96MB of it - so barely touched.

Using webmin is great - it helps with general maintenance and makes certain things really easy. I particular like using cron to manage my startups - really easy way of doing it, so I can get sickbeard, sabNZb, etc etc all running at startup without having to write rc.d scripts.

I did have some issues with things hanging after running for 5+ days (sometimes longer) and really could not work out why. It could've been RAM as it was before the swap file, but I did the 'hacky' fix of setting cron to do a reboot at 5.15am every day to allow it to be a fresh bootup every morning.

So - the system is working great and I really appreciate all the work Andy has put in to reclassify the Joggler as a proper home server workhorse!
Andi

Post by Andi »

jimeney wrote:Nicely done. A step-by-step guide to getting this up and running would be awesome. Are you using SqueezePlay in its entirety, or SqueezeLite as a background task?
I'm using it with the full as-supplied-by-Andy SqueezePlay, as it's housed in a cupboard to the side of the bathroom, so it's easy to pop in there and tap on it to choose what I want to listen to.
Or I mostly use the Squeezeplay Controller app on Android on my phone...

The other services I mostly followed guides online - as I had a similar setup with my Raspberry Pi.
Googling "raspbian <name of app>" or "ubuntu server <name of app>" normally throws up a good'un on the first page.
I can dig out the guides I followed if you have any specific one's you're interested in.
Noodles

Post by Noodles »

Hi all, my 1st post here, bought an ex-betting shop Joggler (so a v1 I think).

Problem is that the sound (via USB) stops working after a few hours - reboot is needed to fix it. I've trawled through this thread but there's so
much here that I may have missed the solution to this. I'm hoping that someone can give me pointers to fixing it.

Earlier, I booted without USB so that I could check settings, which told me that:
firmware = 8964 (boardrev: 2) [ID=25786]
software = 30300 (Oct 1 2011 15:32:26)

Usually I'm booting from a 32Gb USB SanDisk memory stick. Yesterday I tried again with an identical memory stick.

I did this:

1. Loaded sqpos206_ext.img.gz from the link in the 1st post and wrote it to the USB memory stick. So that's SqueezePlay OS v 2.06
2. Booted Joggler, went through the on-screen questions, installed LMS - it chose version 7.8.0
3. Chose the USB device as the output device.
4. Installed Triode's iplayer app and rebooted.
5. Went to Settings-->Update and it updated something (perhaps the user interface??) from 1.55 to 1.57
6. Rebooted after all this.

Left it running live radio - after a few hours, no sound. I don't believe that the problem is just with radio, as my previous memory stick
did the same thing when playing my MP3 collection.

In previous posts, I saw references to /etc/asound.conf so here's what is on my system:

Code: Select all

joggler@openframe:~$ cat /etc/asound.conf
pcm.!default {
	type plug
	slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

pcm.dmixer  {
 	type dmix
 	ipc_key 1024
 	slave {
		pcm "hw:1,0"
		period_time 0
		period_size 1024
		buffer_size 4096
		rate 44100
	}
	bindings {
		0 0
		1 1
	}
}

ctl.dmixer {
	type hw
	card 1
}
joggler@openframe:~$ 
Joggler v1 (ex-betting shop)
Noodles

Post by Noodles »

More information:

I got crackling sounds just now, then it stopped playing music after less than 1 hour.

I see that it has lost the USB sound dongle:

joggler@openframe:~$ cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [MID            ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel MID
                      HDA Intel MID at 0xd01c0000 irq 16
Both the USB sound dongle and the USB memory stick are on an external USB hub. I've just realised that it has lost them both :shock: .
ie lost memory stick:

joggler@openframe:~$ df -k
df: `/boot': Input/output error
df: `/media/Music': Input/output error
df: `/media/usb1': Input/output error
df: `/media/usb2': Input/output error
Filesystem     1K-blocks   Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda2         929272 561204    320864  64% /
udev              251060      4    251056   1% /dev
none              196608     48    196560   1% /tmp
tmpfs             101432    344    101088   1% /run
none                5120      0      5120   0% /run/lock
none              253576      0    253576   0% /run/shm
none              262144      0    262144   0% /var/cache/apt
none              262144      0    262144   0% /var/lib/apt/lists
none               16384    656     15728   5% /var/log
/dev/sda2         929272 561204    320864  64% /media/usb0
... so I will see if it has the same problem next time.
Noodles

Post by Noodles »

What a relief, the fault was the hub.

I installed my memory stick inside the joggler (replacing the wifi card) and the USB sound dongle on the
external USB. It's been playing for 6 hours non-stop! :D
roughlychiron

Post by roughlychiron »

Hello again guys ... got another joggler to set up for a friend but it is the first one I have come across that is refusing to be re flashed ... it was bought fairly cheap as it wouldn't boot past the open peak logo at switch on

the re flash tool does not boot every time but when it does it seems to run through normally then displays 'no more room on device' before shutting down

any ideas? .... have not tried ext img on internal usb yet
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1403082207.118600.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1403082189.620257.jpg
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

I would guess that the internal memory is toast. The best plan would probably be to boot Squeezeplay OS from a USB stick instead.
dheadz

Post by dheadz »

Hi,
The recent days I have tried a few version of OS' for Joggler (PnP III, etc) and the SqPOS would be nice for me, because I do not use nor the other apps or games. The only thing I miss are the screen savers built in PnP III. Would it be possible to use them here in SqueezePlay OS ?
As I checked those screen saver files are .swf format.
roughlychiron

Post by roughlychiron »

Wee update .... successfully re flashed with latest open peak image which must have corrected any partitioning problems .... now successfully running SqP OS on internal memory and also boots to ext image on usb when required ....... result!

yup, 'never bin a joggler' lol
palindrom

Post by palindrom »

roughlychiron wrote:Wee update .... successfully re flashed with latest open peak image which must have corrected any partitioning problems .... now successfully running SqP OS on internal memory and also boots to ext image on usb when required ....... result!

yup, 'never bin a joggler' lol

You can force the reflash tool to repartition:
Pop the USB key back into your computer and create a file in the reflash directory called repart. This will tell the script to recreate all of the partitions, even if it believes that it doesn’t need to be done. Eject the stick and use it to boot your Joggler again.
Eject the stick and use it to boot your Joggler again.

http://birdslikewires.co.uk/articles/jogglerflash
roughlychiron

Post by roughlychiron »

for future reference ....

create a file or folder called repart .... If file, how do you do that in windows?

M
pete

Post by pete »

The boot stick is fat partitioned if I recall. Nothing much special about using it in windows that I remember.

The above said I have mostly only played with the MMC paritions in Linux.

If you feel like tinkering the motherboard has SD card traces, ZIF PATA port stuff and a mini pcie slot which would give you a bit better than using the USB port. The USB port did seem a bit faster though for whatever reasons than the O2 Joggler even though it was just USB 2.0. Maybe it was that the build was different?
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater