SqueezePlay OS (Version 2) for OpenFrame

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Andi

Re: SqueezePlay OS (Version 2) for OpenFrame

Post by Andi »

roobarb! , theoretical question...

I have SqOS running on a 16gb stick which I've installed inside the Joggler in the wifi card slot.
Is it possible, without pulling the joggler apart, the reboot the Joggler and boot from the internal eMMC memory temporarily?

Would be handy so that I could have another version of SqOS which just makes an image of the 16gb stick to my external hard drive then reboots again and boots back on the 16gb stick...

Possible?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Andi wrote:Is it possible, without pulling the joggler apart, to reboot the Joggler and boot from the internal eMMC memory temporarily?
Yes, it can be done. You would need to mess around with the EFI boot scripts, which are in /boot on SQPOS. The scripts are set to always boot from the first available external (ie. USB) partition if one is present (fs1:) and then boot from fs0: if it's not there. Swap those around temporarily and you've got the opposite manner of booting - which would ordinarily only ever boot internally.

The fact that they appear this way around is, so far as I'm aware, just the order in which things are enumerated by the EFI.

I must admit it has been a long time since I played with the boot stuff, so my memory of it is very woolly.

Ah, alternatively you could use the old keyboard boot trick - just pop a keyboard in the external USB port and mash ESC repeatedly for 10 seconds or so while you power it on. This drops it to the EFI command line - you can't see it as it's hidden, but you can then blindly type:

Code: Select all

fs0:boot
or

fs1:boot
Hit return and it should fire up from wherever you pointed it.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
Andi

Post by Andi »

Ah, perfect - having a look, I presume it's boot.nsh

fs1:grub
fs0:grub
Swap those around, and reboot and it'll boot from the internal, yeah?
Then a script on the internal SqOS to get it swap it back once the backup is done...

Would be quite neat :)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Andi wrote:Ah, perfect - having a look, I presume it's boot.nsh

fs1:grub
fs0:grub
Swap those around, and reboot and it'll boot from the internal, yeah?
Then a script on the internal SqOS to get it swap it back once the backup is done...

Would be quite neat :)
Aye, or just omit fs1: entirely - should do the job!
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

What would be neat is a SqueezePlay menu item to reboot into internal (and a matching menu in the internal install to boot to USB) and maybe a matching reboot to USB applet in PNP [WHITE SMILING FACE]
mikeywilliams

Post by mikeywilliams »

I have a curious problem.

Installed SQpos to a usb stick.
Edited fstab to point to my Zyxel NSA325
Updated the server to the latest version.
All working wonderfully on my computer room joggler.

I have another joggler in the bedroom so made a disc image using Win32diskimager and wrote the image to another usb stick.
Put it in the bedroom joggler. Stopped the server so that it only runs on the computer room joggler and finally renamed the joggler to Bedroom.
Downstairs the computer room joggler (formerly called computer room natch) was now renamed Bedroom. So I changed it back to Computer Room and now the upstairs one was now renamed Computer Room also.
I retried doing it with only one joggler switched on but it didnt make any difference. And only one of the two identically named jogglers would play when connected to the SQpos server (No problem when connected to the Zyxel server).

So how can I solve this. Do I need to go into the web front end of the server and make some changes or do I have to set up the upstairs joggler with a completely new (not cloned ) setup. Can be done but I feel it should be possible to use the disc image.
Andi

Post by Andi »

Suspect you've cloned the made up MAC address so the server sees them as the same machine...
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

Exactly this, I've had exactly the same issue. I ended up just doing a 2nd fresh image, but there is a file somewhere you can edit to change the MAC if you'd prefer.
Andi wrote:Suspect you've cloned the made up MAC address so the server sees them as the same machine...
mikeywilliams

Post by mikeywilliams »

JimbobVFR400 wrote:Exactly this, I've had exactly the same issue. I ended up just doing a 2nd fresh image, but there is a file somewhere you can edit to change the MAC if you'd prefer.
Andi wrote:Suspect you've cloned the made up MAC address so the server sees them as the same machine...
Sounds like you have identified the problem. Thanks!

It would save a bit of time if I could just edit the MAC on one of the images.
Does anyone know which file it might be that I can SSH in and change?
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

Mine appears to have a file in the directory /etc/network

Called joggler-eth with the MAC in it. I don't know if changing the value there and rebooting would work.

I presume if yours uses WiFi then there would be an equivalent file for that (joggler-wifi?)
Andi

Post by Andi »

Quick search looks like this might help..
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... 285#p21285
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

That does like look like a better solution, wouldn't work for me though as I've removed the WiFi card
mikeywilliams

Post by mikeywilliams »

Andi wrote:Quick search looks like this might help..
OK
I tried this - replaced the sqp_JogglerNetwork.sh with the one suggested.
Rebooted the joggler but the situation hasnt changed.
Both jogglers still have the same MAC address.
The topic referenced above said that the new MAC is given after "Reset".
I took that to mean rebooted, or is there some other reset required?
palindrom

Post by palindrom »

mikeywilliams wrote:
Andi wrote:Quick search looks like this might help..
OK
I tried this - replaced the sqp_JogglerNetwork.sh with the one suggested.
Rebooted the joggler but the situation hasnt changed.
Both jogglers still have the same MAC address.
The topic referenced above said that the new MAC is given after "Reset".
I took that to mean rebooted, or is there some other reset required?

You need to "reset" the joggler to Defaults (Using the Joggler Network Menu) before reboot.
This will execute sqp_JogglerNetwork.sh and change the MAC (If a WiFi Adapter is present).
In addition this will delete come Settings (DesktopJive.lua, ... ) in "/home/joggler/.squeezeplay/userpath/settings" where the MAC is stored as well.
mikeywilliams

Post by mikeywilliams »

Smashing - that did the trick and both jogglers now have different MACs and work fine.
Many thanks to all for invaluable advice.
palindrom

Post by palindrom »

JimbobVFR400 wrote:That does like look like a better solution, wouldn't work for me though as I've removed the WiFi card

Just change:

/etc/network/interfaces

where hwaddress ether 00:0e:8f:22:22:22 should be changed to a address of your choice,

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
hwaddress ether 00:0e:8f:22:22:22

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
-=xXx=-

Post by -=xXx=- »

Hi...
Where can I get 1.09 version ?
I tried to run xbmc with this one but it is rely slow as I know 1.09 has better video support...
I'm running it from internal memory.
MightyDob

Post by MightyDob »

Hi all,

I have been using the internal version of the original Squeezebox OS for some time and its great running off LMS on my ReadyNAS along with my Touch, but it struggles when I install a number of add-ons in LMS and I would like to speed up the interface on OrangeSqueeze a little since it displays album art so well on my tablet. I have previously tried installing LMS on a USB version of SqueezeOS and there was a massive speed difference browsing and selecting tracks, but it has some problems with not displaying the correct playing track and skipping tracks, so went back to LMS on readyNAS.

I just thought I would try V2 and see if I could get things working better. I think I may have worked out one problem previously did not resize the Partition on the USB stick, which I guess might have caused problems because I have a large music collection, that's all sorted now with Gparted.

Stalling point is that I cannot mount the NAS drive through NFS within the Squeeze Play menu. Last time it was easy and LMS found it straight away within the SRV folder, but no luck this time? I know the share is working fine because I completed a fresh install last night on my laptop and managed to mount it to NFS fine and then added it to FSTAB.

I'm not too experienced with Linux but I can get by so hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

jjr2000

Post by jjr2000 »

Hi
I have been running SQPOS on my joggler for a couple of weeks now and have found it a very nice os to use with very few issues.
But I have run into what is a for me a major issue today and wondering if anyone had a fix.
The issue is that some of my media files have a sample rate of 48khz when it appears that SQPOS has a current cap of 44.1khz
Here's what info LMS gives of of the tracks im trying to play,
File Format: MP3
Duration: 3:26
Bitrate: 320kbps CBR
Sample Rate: 48.0 kHz
File Length: 8,294,859
and it the same for all the tracks that wont play other than the lengths, obviously

I have base experience with linux but the build of SQPOS is very unusual with it booting an os in an os so any help with fixing this issue would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help :)
palindrom

Post by palindrom »

jjr2000 wrote:Hi
The issue is that some of my media files have a sample rate of 48khz when it appears that SQPOS has a current cap of 44.1khz
Here's what info LMS gives of of the tracks im trying to play,
File Format: MP3
Duration: 3:26
Bitrate: 320kbps CBR
Sample Rate: 48.0 kHz
File Length: 8,294,859
I assume LMS has problems transcoding those files.
Check: \Squeezebox\server\convert.conf for details.
Search for:

# special case for smart bitrates on mp3 input
mp3 mp3 transcode *
	# IFB:{BITRATE=-B %B}D:{RESAMPLE=--resample %D}
	[lame] --silent -q $QUALITY$ -v $BITRATE$ $RESAMPLE$ --mp3input $FILE$ -
If the entry is present, check if lame is working properly.
If the installation seems to be OK you might need to set player playback audio quality (LMS Settings page) to 256 kb/s just to see if transcoding is working...