SqueezePlay OS (Version 2) for OpenFrame

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
ilovemyjoggler

Re: SqueezePlay OS (Version 2) for OpenFrame

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Ok. Can you read through this?

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... 660#p15125

I'm doing this from my phone so am being v brief. The last version of sqpos wouldn't let you add files to it via winscp unless you had root priviledges (or some such technical stuff) and i assume version 2 is the same. I always add my music from pc to a usb (not hard drive) attached to my joggler this way.

May/may not help.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

-deleted-
Last edited by ilovemyjoggler on Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roughlychiron

Post by roughlychiron »

thanx ILMY .... read through that and tried changing the default environment to sudosu ..... still no joy ....
roughlychiron

Post by roughlychiron »

ILMJ ..... even, oops
Andi

Post by Andi »

Ah, that I did not know!

Just follow my guide on Samba install, and then access it that way :)
roughlychiron

Post by roughlychiron »

boy this Linux is convoluted and hard to understand .....

so, I managed to get my head around creating bootable usb sticks, have several jogglers running as players and have one running as player and server .... but this will be useless to me in the end as I really need to be able to add new music files to the attached hdd fairly simply .......

In a nutshell I have tried all suggestions so far and none have worked as described unfortunately ..... there must be a simple idiots guide on how to set up a share so I can drag and drop my files from my PC to hdd on joggler .... the winscp looked promising but so far no good ..... unless I am doing something silly

exasperated .... may end up back with a little netbook running LMS hidden away somewhere .... at least drag n drop available via homegroup etc

I have been using LMS for years happily running on my HP proliant server but I just wanted an 'always on' and silent thing going so I could listen late at night without the HP running .....

is it back to the drawing board?
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

I've never mounted an external hard drive so not sure if you're missing a step. Can your joggler see and play your music library?

What is the error message you get when you try winscp as sudo?

Is lms installed on jogglers internal memory? If so, could a lack of space be your issue?
castalla

Post by castalla »

Have you started WinSCP and logged in as root?
Andi

Post by Andi »

roughlychiron wrote:is it back to the drawing board?
Not quite - I think you're just missing what people are telling you.
Sounds like WinSCP will be fine for you if you can configure it, so follow these steps:

In WinSCP, open up the Site Manager (or if you've just opened it, this is the first screen you see).
  • Edit the connection you've got for connecting to the Joggler.
  • Change the File protocol to SFTP.
  • Click Advanced
  • Under Environment -> SFTP, tick "Allow SCP fallback" and in the SFTP server box paste the following:

Code: Select all

sudo /usr/lib/openssh/sftp-server 
  • Ok, Save. Connect.
Lemme know if that works.
roughlychiron

Post by roughlychiron »

thanks again for input guys .....

Tried that Andi but ........

Cannot initialise SFTP protocol. Is host running a SFTP server?
gegs

Post by gegs »

roughlychiron wrote:Great, thanx guys .... I tried winscp and whilst I was able to copy from the hdd attached to joggler so far I am denied permission to copy to the hdd ..... am I missing a simple thing?

will look at the other suggestions also ....

cheers
Can you navigate to the parent folder with all your music in WinSCP? If so, right-click on the folder and select 'Properties', tick all the R, W and X boxes, the 'Set group, owner and permissions recursively' box and save. This should set read write and execute permissions for the parent folder and its sub-folders and you should be able to save files there.

You probably need to do the above as root. Ubuntu doesn't have a root password by default so you would need to create one. Using PuTTY, log in to your joggler then type

Code: Select all

sudo passwd
then hit enter. Now type your password (it looks like you're not typing anything because the cursor doesn't move but that's OK) and hit enter. Type your password again and hit enter. You can now log onto WinSCP with username 'root' and the password you've just created, useful for editing config files, setting permissions and adding directories etc.

Let me know if this works.
Last edited by gegs on Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
roughlychiron

Post by roughlychiron »

Andi .... tried again after realising I hadn't followed your paste instruction fully

still no joy, the procedure went a little further but .....
roughlychiron

Post by roughlychiron »

@gegs

bingo ... I think :-) ... seems to be copying across now, will confirm it all survives a rescan later. thanks again to all
Andi

Post by Andi »

Glad you've sorted it.

Seems the auto-mount for FAT32 is far more trouble than it's worth!
Had none of these issues with my manually mounted NTFS drive!

Ah well - hope the settings stick and it all works.
The Joggler as a server is absolutely perfect. This build is genius work and the hardware is great.
Stick with it!

Also, Google is great for tips on 'how-tos', just search "ubuntu server <thing you need to do>" and there's always a guide somewhere!
gegs

Post by gegs »

@roughlychiron

Great! I hope all goes well.
roughlychiron

Post by roughlychiron »

success, new albums are correctly displayed in new music after rescan for new and changed music :-) ..... speed not too bad either 1.5mb average ..... happy days
andyf

Post by andyf »

palindrom wrote:
andyf wrote:Have you got a USB wifi card installed in your Joggler? Might sound like a stupid question but I was tearing my hair out with a similar issue, until I discovered the 'betting shop' ebay Jogglers don't have Wifi cards.

Andy.
Hi Andy mine (3 devices) do have a internal wifi card.
Did you open your joggler to check if the card is present (or do you just guess because there is no driver loaded)?
Yep, opened them up. No wifi card and not even the antenna left dangling.
roughlychiron

Post by roughlychiron »

have couple spare wifi cards if any use for anyone? (Have removed two to set up two servers via LAN) ...... or does any wifi dongle do the job?
roobarb!

Re: SqueezeOS (Version 2) for OpenFrame/O2: USBIP

Post by roobarb! »

palindrom wrote:
The Ubuntu Kernel Team's config policy is to disable experimental options until it is requested they be enabled. Based on the information requested in this bug, I have enabled the following in the Precise 12.04 kernel:

CONFIG_USBIP_CORE=m
CONFIG_USBIP_HOST=m
CONFIG_USBIP_VHCI_HCD=m
Did anyone of you succeed installing USBIPD?
@roobarb!: Is there any chance to have those parameters enables in some future release of SqueezeOS?
Sure, sounds like fun to me! :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

ilovemyjoggler wrote:The last version of sqpos wouldn't let you add files to it via winscp unless you had root priviledges (or some such technical stuff) and i assume version 2 is the same. I always add my music from pc to a usb (not hard drive) attached to my joggler this way.
This will always be the same - unless you've got root privileges, you can't mess with the system files. Only things in your user area.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)