SqueezePlay OS (Version 2) for OpenFrame

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
castalla

Re: SqueezePlay OS (Version 2) for OpenFrame

Post by castalla »

I just want a clean simple airplay music app - so far, Streambels is the easiest to use. I think xbmc is over-the-top for just playing music!
castalla

Post by castalla »

gegs wrote:
castalla wrote:Hi!

First: I think it only works with one player at a time. But all connected players show up as airplay speakers...
In that case I'll stick with the default Airplay feature in SqpOS because it works with all my Jogglers (individually). I may install this on brother-in-law's Joggler because he has it running as a server to three real Squeezeboxes.
If you have the SqueezePlay connected to the LMS server, then the Joggler also shows up in the airplay device lists as a speaker. So, as far as I can see, the shair-tunes plugin is a total solution for using airplay with LMS (other than Sync doesn't work).
gegs

Post by gegs »

Sorry, I'm still not getting the difference between the two approaches for a user like myself who has an all-Joggler Squeezeplay setup. Is it that Shairtunes is server side and can support Airplay to any device that can connect to LMS?

The Airplay in SqpOS is client side and has to be enabled on each individual Joggler but for me the results are exactly the same, i.e. I can Airplay to all my Squeezeplay devices, albeit individually. Shairtunes would be ideal for my brother-in-law whose LMS server is a Joggler but his players are all real Squeezeboxes.

If you've used Shairtunes and the SqpOS Airplay facility, is one better quality or more stable than the other?
gegs

Post by gegs »

castalla wrote:I just want a clean simple airplay music app - so far, Streambels is the easiest to use. I think xbmc is over-the-top for just playing music!
Isn't XBMC only an Airplay receiver anyway? The last time I checked it wasn't able to stream to other devices using Airplay but it could receive Airplay audio. It also used to be able to receive Airplay video, but I think that was broken by iOS 7.
castalla

Post by castalla »

gegs wrote:Sorry, I'm still not getting the difference between the two approaches for a user like myself who has an all-Joggler Squeezeplay setup. Is it that Shairtunes is server side and can support Airplay to any device that can connect to LMS?

The Airplay in SqpOS is client side and has to be enabled on each individual Joggler but for me the results are exactly the same, i.e. I can Airplay to all my Squeezeplay devices, albeit individually. Shairtunes would be ideal for my brother-in-law whose LMS server is a Joggler but his players are all real Squeezeboxes.

If you've used Shairtunes and the SqpOS Airplay facility, is one better quality or more stable than the other?
It's server-side - so any SB device which is connected to the LMS server becomes an airplay speaker. I have both LMS and Squeezeplay on one Joggler - that means the Joggler becomes a speaker too (just like the built-in facility of SqpOS).

I haven't tested the quality differences, if any.
gegs

Post by gegs »

Thanks castalla, that's what I thought but good to get confirmation. It sounds ideal for my brother-in-law.

I think I'll give Shairtunes a try on a spare stick of my own. That way I could Airplay to the Squeezebox Touch my wife will buy from ebay for my birthday (well ... I can dream, can't I?)
castalla

Post by castalla »

It works well with the Touch - easy to set up.
papaiannis

Spotify remote control

Post by papaiannis »

I currently use Spotify on my SqPOS Joggler, as a premium user.
Now I want to remotely control spotify from my android smartphone using Spotcommander. This app requires the Spotcommander server to be installed on the Joggler. To this end I followed the instructions at this page:
https://code.google.com/p/spotcommander ... 0_or_newer

The installation was OK. Unfortunately I was unable to start the daemon with the command:
spotcommander start

because it must be entered in the desktop shell, not the ssh terminal.
How can I enter a command in the Joggler shell (and not in the ssh terminal)?

To automatically launch spotcommander at startup the following lines shuold be added to /etc/xdg/autostart/spotcommander.desktop:
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=SpotCommander
Exec=spotcommander start

Unfortunately there is no xdg directory under /etc. Where should I add the spotcommander.desktop file?
gegs

Re: Spotify remote control

Post by gegs »

papaiannis wrote:Now I want to remotely control spotify from my android smartphone using Spotcommander...
Why Spotcommander? You can control all of Squeezeplay on the Joggler, not just the Spotify addon, with the Logitech Squeezebox Controller app. No need for a separate server installation.

--EDIT--
I've just read that Spotcommander is a remote control for the official Spotify computer client which doesn't have one of its own - hence the need for a server application running on the same machine as the official Spotify client. It's unnecessary with Squeezeplay which can be controlled using Squeeze Commander, or the Logitech official app (the last of which is free).

--2nd EDIT--
Out of curiosity I just downloaded Squeeze Control (a hefty £3.56) which is very nippy and better looking than the Logitech app, though whether you think it's £3.56 worth of better looking is your own choice.
Last edited by gegs on Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
papaiannis

Post by papaiannis »

Hi Gegs,
I simply didn't realize that spotify can be controlled by the logitech squeezebox controller app or the orangesqueeze app.
Thanks a lot!
gegs

Post by gegs »

I've only played with it for a few minutes but Squeeze Control is lovely. A lot of its features are hidden in the menus but you can even manage all your players' volumes at the same time (without having to switch to each player first); useful if you have them all synced and great for parties. This feature is one of the things I like most about iPeng on my iPad and now I also have it on Android. It's on the extended menu under 'Manage Players'. Recommended!
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Looks like a nice app & similarly priced to squeeze commander. The blurb warns it's quite resource hungry and therefore may not work so well with LMS on a NAS. The cheeky b*ggers also want an extra quid in-app purchase for the tablet interface.
gegs

Post by gegs »

It is very good though. Amazingly fully featured. I'm not averse to paying somebody for a job well done, although I do think that the tablet version should be the same price as the mobile version.

I've tried it with LMS 7.8 on SqpOS and it's very nippy despite the resource-hungry warnings. I can't run LMS on my NAS so I can't comment on how accurate the NAS warnings are.
castalla

Post by castalla »

gegs wrote:It is very good though. Amazingly fully featured. I'm not averse to paying somebody for a job well done, although I do think that the tablet version should be the same price as the mobile version.

I've tried it with LMS 7.8 on SqpOS and it's very nippy despite the resource-hungry warnings. I can't run LMS on my NAS so I can't comment on how accurate the NAS warnings are.
What warnings are they? Never had any issues myself.
gegs

Post by gegs »

On the Squeeze Control page on Google Play it says "This app can be quite demanding on the server compared to other controller apps and as such may not work well with a server running on a NAS. Complaints in the reviews about slowness is likely due to having the server on a NAS."
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... id.sqzctrl

"- This app can be quite demanding on the server compared to other controller apps and as such may not work well with a server running on a NAS. Complaints in the reviews about slowness is likely due to having the server on a NAS.

- Use a wifi connection if possible. A mobile data connection would work if the server is setup correctly, but the performance may not be acceptable.

- When connected, this app is constantly communicating with the server. If you're using a mobile data connection, this may incur a significant data usage fee."

Having said that, I'm just about to upgrade my lowly Zyxel NSA210 to a WD My Book Live so I might give it a go.
castalla

Post by castalla »

Oh, thought you meant warnings from LMS itself.

Looks a decent app but a bit pricey considering I already have Orangesqueeze!
Jetpac

Post by Jetpac »

Im starting to go nuts.. I have 2 jogglers running the latest SPOS (installed) but i cannot get either to connect to the wireless network.

No matter what i keep getting "no network address has been assigned to wireless interface (wlan0)

The SSID and password are being entered correctly, and it is a virgin superhub2.

Any ideas on what is going wrong and how to fix it?
johnnygal

Post by johnnygal »

Hi Jetpac,

You haven't got any sort of MAC filtering enabled on the superhub have you? I have the same hub and have multi jogglers on wireless ok.
johnnygal

Post by johnnygal »

Or have you got the hubs wireless set to 5GHz? I don't think the internal wireless card on the jogglers can do 5GHz