new Android 2.2.2 Mijuu Build 1.2.3

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
jp_hero

Re: new Android 2.2.2 Mijuu Build 1.2.3

Post by jp_hero »

sero13 wrote: (I'm too cheap even to buy VTL!).
Hi Sero13

You can download VTL Launcher from the developers own website, the link is below.

http://vtlab.com/downloads/VTLLauncher_1_6_5.apk

It is a really cool launcher. My video review shows you what can be done with VTL. The link is back a few pages in this thread.
I'm from http://www.coolsmartphone.com For all your Android news and reviews.
Also if Twitter is your thing you can follow me http://twitter.com/#!/jp_hero
DaveJoggler

Post by DaveJoggler »

asantaga wrote:All,

I've been speaking to jp_hero on twitter and was wondering.. is there a need to create another image (like alindi) fully pimped up?? Obviously the market will need to be installed afterwards but it could have a bunch of apps preinstalled..

What apps would make sense?

Im thinking LauncherPro (i like it :-)
a Weather widget
a clock widget (maybe the htc sense one)
beebplayer
photo slides.
18-Jul-2011 : Added
DNLA player (perhaps Plugplayer)
More alarm sounds

what else is on peoples wish list?

or are we ok as we are, and people install the apps they need from the market?
I'm in two minds on this really. When apps get included in a build, there is always debated as to what should go in, and people have different views!
I think if we do include some it should be possible to 'uninstall' them easily. When Market is working, it is very easy to add required apps, so I think creating a nice list of joggler friendly ones is more important.

My biggest wish for a 'new' image, to be honest, is one that includes a working Market out the box. I've managed to 'break' mine, and I hadn't made a backup! :oops:
Getting Market to work is a bit hit 'n' miss to say the least.

Has there been any more development by Mijuu? Is there likely to be a 1.2.4?
asantaga

Post by asantaga »

Mmm I do kinda agree that if Market is working then all we need is a list of apps..... However there is a base set which would be nice, bit like Linux distros..

Seeding a preinstalled Market is difficult becausebit means distributing an image with someone's credentials.....

Let me tinker a bit, maybe I can find a workaround..... I'll also ask mijuu if he's planning a .4 release.
Last edited by asantaga on Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Angelo
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Angelo
great idea for a pimped image, we could have 2 versions, vanilla and pimped
My joggler is in the kitchen and is used to select music from the htpc in the sitting room
and have a quick look on the web for various things ;
My app choices would be
XBMC remote
NEWSPAPER
pocket auctions for ebay
Beeb player
Bbc good food recipees (Ideal for kitchen joggler)
Wiki app

I can't seem to find a working phone book or yellow pages app yet but these would also be very handy.
Keep up the good work,
Here's hoping for a pimped build
Happy Joggling
jp_hero

Post by jp_hero »

Hi guys.

After chatting with Angelo the plan is to create something similar to his original usb image that is just applied to a blank usb stick. No files to transfer or copy across.
I will apply all the little tweaks and fixes that people have posted so that a new user will have a "fairly" easy time straight from the install.
I will also install quite a few popular apps that help to make Android on the Joggler more useable. If people can keep advising which apps they would like then we can decide what to install.

At the moment the general areas people are interested in is news, radio, music, network streaming, traffic info, social networking and train times. I will install a couple of different launchers and an easy utility to switch between them so you can get a feel for each.

Lastly there will be an uninstaller that you can use to uninstall any of the apps you don't like and yes I will make a vanilla version as well with only the tweaks applied.
DaveJoggler

Post by DaveJoggler »

jp_hero wrote: Lastly there will be an uninstaller that you can use to uninstall any of the apps you don't like and yes I will make a vanilla version as well with only the tweaks applied.
Sounds a good plan. I'm happy that we can uninstall if we wish, and posting the vanilla version will keep everyone happy!

But is there anyway we automated the Market setup and make it more reliable/repeatable? Is it really not possible to have all the Market files in the install, apart from the last step of adding user account credentials?
jp_hero

Post by jp_hero »

DaveJoggler wrote: But is there anyway we automated the Market setup and make it more reliable/repeatable? Is it really not possible to have all the Market files in the install, apart from the last step of adding user account credentials?
Hi Dave. My new base image will combine Mijuu and Lindl's parts and then will add a lot of other tweaks and apps. It will be a usb image so flashing it should be easier as well. I will be trying to get the market to work once you have put your google details in. I will know in a few days whether this has worked.
Last edited by jp_hero on Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
miccheck1516

Post by miccheck1516 »

Hi guys, first post on here after being SO excited to find an android build finally, was about to sell my joggler until I noticedthis a few days ago and just had to order a new usb stick to try it out.

I am very very impressed but having serious difficulty getting market working.

I have followed the instruction here http://jtlog.wordpress.com/2011/05/14/e ... asy-steps/ amd then on thw WIKI for getting market working but I find the instructions very vague and they definately dont explain in the detail I require it. I am by no means a software developer but am confident working with hardward and software and feel this is well within my abilities if given proper instruction.

I am mainly struggling with this '2. Extract all the files in gtablet and copy them to a directory on the first, Android, partition on the USB memory stick, e.g. gapps'

this really makes little sense, I have extracted the files to my PC desktop, and then put them all in the root of the USB, and also then into the android folder in the root of the usb, just to see if that would help..... but they are not visible in the file manager, and infact there seems to be tonnes of folders that I dont see on the usb stick (i expect this is normal though, and that I am not looking at the File structure properly perhaps from within windows)

I would be most grateful for any assistance on this....
wilyearthworm

Post by wilyearthworm »

Hi,

First post myself and like miccheck1516 I too am VERY excited to discover this thread!! I've got an ageing Joggler that is basically now used as an expensive clock!! I'm an avid Android fan having customised the HELL out of my Galaxy S and now I want to do the same with my Joggler :-) I'm waiting with baited breath to see what jp_hero comes up with!!! :-)
miccheck1516

Post by miccheck1516 »

Im also an android convert after getting a galaxy S.

Android runs just as well on the joggler as it does on the Galaxy S :D
miccheck1516

Post by miccheck1516 »

Also noting on the clock program after a while screen brightness changes randomly sporadically, fairly often, is this a known issue?
yugo

Post by yugo »

miccheck1516 wrote:Also noting on the clock program after a while screen brightness changes randomly sporadically, fairly often, is this a known issue?
You got it up and running then?
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

miccheck1516 wrote:I find the instructions very vague and they definately dont explain in the detail I require it. I am by no means a software developer but am confident working with hardward and software and feel this is well within my abilities if given proper instruction.

I am mainly struggling with this '2. Extract all the files in gtablet and copy them to a directory on the first, Android, partition on the USB memory stick, e.g. gapps'

this really makes little sense, I have extracted the files to my PC desktop, and then put them all in the root of the USB, and also then into the android folder in the root of the usb, just to see if that would help..... but they are not visible in the file manager, and infact there seems to be tonnes of folders that I dont see on the usb stick (i expect this is normal though, and that I am not looking at the File structure properly perhaps from within windows)
Sorry, that's my attempt at instructions, although it sounds like you're doing the right kind of thing, so maybe there's a problem. I created a separate directory to extract the gtablet.zip files to on the USB stick. I've grabbed a screen shot of how it looks on my Joggler after booting up Android and opening the file manager app... http://jtlog.files.wordpress.com/2011/0 ... ectory.png - are you seeing a /mnt/udisk directory at all and, if so, does it have a similar set of files in?

If that doesn't work, there are a few other ways to do the same thing. I originally used FTP to get the apps on to the Joggler and I know others have used dropbox, which I think was described in another thread here somewhere.

Let me know how you get on, it would definitely be good to improve the instructions!
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

On a bit of a tangent, does anyone know if it would be possible to somehow trick apps in to thinking that Wifi is enabled even when it isn't? I have a cable plugged in so would prefer to use the wired ethernet connection, but things like We7 demand Wifi, which is a bit of a pain.

Maybe a question for Mijuu
miccheck1516

Post by miccheck1516 »

jtonline wrote:
miccheck1516 wrote:I find the instructions very vague and they definately dont explain in the detail I require it. I am by no means a software developer but am confident working with hardward and software and feel this is well within my abilities if given proper instruction.

Sorry, that's my attempt at instructions, although it sounds like you're doing the right kind of thing, so maybe there's a problem. I created a separate directory to extract the gtablet.zip files to on the USB stick. I've grabbed a screen shot of how it looks on my Joggler after booting up Android and opening the file manager app... http://jtlog.files.wordpress.com/2011/0 ... ectory.png - are you seeing a /mnt/udisk directory at all and, if so, does it have a similar set of files in?

If that doesn't work, there are a few other ways to do the same thing. I originally used FTP to get the apps on to the Joggler and I know others have used dropbox, which I think was described in another thread here somewhere.

Let me know how you get on, it would definitely be good to improve the instructions!

Thanks alot, the image helped ten fold in locating the file, so i have market installed and it opens up, but I am having trouble getting connected to my google account using every google app, calander, gmail market etc.... I am connected using ethernet so shouldn't be having connection issues in that sense, I think it's maybe some security settings that need played with? i'll look over the wiki again tomorrow and see if I could help to make it any clearer...

Thanks again for your help so far!
miccheck1516

Post by miccheck1516 »

So it was my network connection had reset after my last restart, along with my clock....

Sorted that out, got connected to the market and reboote, it told me straight away there were updates so i guess connection is working as default now and the clock reset itself (probobly because it can sync i guess)

excellent!

Now to find some good apps

edit: are you guys aware of applanet? what's your thoughts on it?
sero13

Post by sero13 »

jp_hero wrote:
sero13 wrote: (I'm too cheap even to buy VTL!).
Hi Sero13

You can download VTL Launcher from the developers own website, the link is below.

http://vtlab.com/downloads/VTLLauncher_1_6_5.apk

It is a really cool launcher. My video review shows you what can be done with VTL. The link is back a few pages in this thread.
Great! Thanks for the link, its definitely more tablet friendly!

I have to admit, once I installed VTL I then seemed to have trouble with my WiFi connection. Its probably not related to the launcher but before when i turned on the Joggler the WiFi would be on and would automatically try to connect to my network (although this did seem to take quite a long time). Now the WiFi is off by default and I have to manually turn it on every time. Has anyone got any tips to stabilising wireless connection from boot?

With regards to the new image I think the Vanilla rom is a great idea as I usually prefer to to start from fresh. I would like to see some more wallpapers if anyone has some good ones. FYI my key apps are:

XBMC remote
2player
Photo Slides (This one was difficult to find in the market for some reason)

Keep up the good work guys, its great that everyone is so excited about this development! Let me know if I can help with testing etc!
rivergo1d

Post by rivergo1d »

My tuppence ... I'm playing around with weather widgets at the mo, and I like AIX weather widget because it gives a graphical forecast for each hour of the day, and snowstorm (though it neds the candy skin for legibility) because it gives a nice 4 day forecast. That's after trying all the weather widgets I can!!! Both seem to work OK with UK locations.
drrodmoore

Post by drrodmoore »

Been through all wether widgets/apps myself.
I ended up keeping witiz weather installed. App not widget, but give forcast for 6 days and allows two locations, which you can change between with quick swipe. Good enough.

one thing which it would be good to know if anyone has got round. There is a Radio App (Resco radio) that i have been using the free version of. The paid version allegedly let you play BBC radio stations. I have beebplayer, but like to have all radio in one app. The paid verison if only cheap but if i try and install from market it fails the compatibility check and wont install. how do I get round this?
jp_hero

Post by jp_hero »

drrodmoore wrote: one thing which it would be good to know if anyone has got round. There is a Radio App (Resco radio) that i have been using the free version of. The paid version allegedly let you play BBC radio stations. I have beebplayer, but like to have all radio in one app. The paid verison if only cheap but if i try and install from market it fails the compatibility check and wont install. how do I get round this?
You get 15 minutes to evaluate a paid app. If you don't like the app you have to click refund in the market app. It's a bit risky on the Joggler because some apps won't let you click refund until it is properly installed. If you have another Android device perhaps buy it and install it on that, then quickly install it on the Joggler if it fail then you can run the uninstall on the other device.