Poll : What OS are you running?

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.

What OS are you running on your joggler(s)?

Stock O2 OS
31%
Ubuntu
25%
Mint Linux
5%
Android 2.2
20%
JoliOS
5%
Meego
No votes
Other
15%

Total votes: 212

Mc-Po

Re: Poll : What OS are you running?

Post by Mc-Po »

Sorry, shoudlve check first

God this place is still quite active, I wouldve though it would have died by now

Old Post
At the moment Android is the most stable, JoliOS, burnt the joggler up within second of being turned on, and would crash if you tried to do anything.

Im wanting to try Meego, Is the one on the wiki
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/MeeGo

Still the latest

Also is the one there Handset UX or notebook.
Need something to play Grooveshark, as Opera/Android doesnt support Flash and the Full flash version of grooveshark has been removed

Thanks
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

jolios runs fine. I use it one two jogglers. You just need to read about throttling. it's not jolios burning up the joggler, it's just that jogglers run hot and have a throttle temp that is too low considering the lack of cooling. increase this and it works nicely.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

one mint user? well I suppose I should release the new linux mint I have almost ready then :)
gegs

Post by gegs »

Make that 2 Mint users. I play around with all the images and don't stick to a single distro. In my house the Joggler OS preferences are:

Wife: stock Joggler OS

Myself: Ubuntu or Mint or JoliOS - I tend to use Ubuntu most of the time but use Mint a lot when I'm trying out new things. I'm more familiar with Mint because I use it on my PC (I'm a convert from OpenSuse) so when I have everything working as I want in Mint, I transfer the knowledge to Ubuntu. My only reason for preferring Ubuntu on the Joggler is to give myself more Linux experience outside the Mint environment. I like a lot of web apps on JoliOS too and boot into that for particular tasks.

My kids: JoliOS or stock Joggler OS

As you can see, I would have chosen more than 3 distros if the poll had allowed - and Mint would have another fan at least.

P.S. I'm still tinkering with Android too but only occasionally. It's more of a toy than a toolbox to me at the moment.
aamp

Post by aamp »

JoliOS and testing Android
maloney

Post by maloney »

Hi all,
My wife & 2 year old like the Joggler OS, just for the radio and iplayer apps. (I find it both incredibly scary and amazing that my 2 year old knows to hit the iplayer app and then the cbeebies channel, sign of the times i suppose!)

I've had abit of tinker with Ubuntu. But that's about it really. Having read through this thread I think I might try JoliOS and Mint out sometime.

I've been following the Android threads and really fancy giving that a go - just a shame it doesn't handle Flash.

I'm a long time lurker here, but just wanted to register to pipe up and say how much i appreciate everyones efforts and work so far.
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

windows xp!
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

show-off!
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

lol sorry i got excited, wont happen again promise
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

roobarb! wrote:If I get time at some point, I'd like to give JoliOS a bit more of a test. I've messed about with it on the web a little, but I really don't think I've 'clicked' with it yet. But I keep coming back to it...
Click! Joli OS is the one for me, I think! More finger-friendly than Ubuntu's Gnome desktop, the simple launcher-style interface is great, with some nicely redesigned file browser elements and better support for smaller screens. Can't believe I neglected it for so long!
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
inzimam

Post by inzimam »

Hi roobarb,

are there any things that you can't do on JoliOS?
Also is the squeezeplayer as updated as the one for the native one?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

inzimam wrote:are there any things that you can't do on JoliOS?
Also is the squeezeplayer as updated as the one for the native one?
Nope, Joli OS is Ubuntu with a different UI on it, so you get all of their web apps as well as access to anything you install locally. Local apps are in a separate folder on the interface, but that's it. SqueezePlay is installed and works in the same way as Ubuntu, but appears under the Local Applications -> More Apps folder, IIRC. You can choose to move it 'up' into the Local Applications folder using the interface, but, in this version at least, you can't have it side-by-side with the webby ones.

So far as I know...
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

yeh such apps can only appear there, and there is no way to get them onto the main menu. perhaps with the next version of jolicloud (the interface not the os), they will do something about that. still, two clicks isnt the end of the world :)
inzimam

Post by inzimam »

Thanks roobarb

I will give it a go tonight.

Just one question about the audio config file I need to change to get sound out of the USB, is this a local file and not part of the memory stick with Joli. As in, if I were to ammend the file on the native OS, will i still have sound out of the USB when using JoliOS?

Thanks
gegs

Post by gegs »

You need to add the file to the stock OS AND the stick if you want USB sound from both.

Also, on the stick make sure to choose the USB card as the default sound output in the sound preferences. Even though I'd added the modified asound.conf file, I was still getting sound through the 3.5mm socket until I chose the correct card.
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

XP Pro SP3!! :D
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

Ditto XP Pro SP3
Jogglermaniac
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Mevi wrote:XP Pro SP3!! :D
Windows. It's just wrong. ;)
pete

Post by pete »

Yeah but what other device can you load four (3) different Operating systems?

The "ultimate" little PC; Joggler...who would have thought that?

I remember "playing" with the Amiga and running Helios on it showing a friend how easy it was.

It ran circles around first gen Windows; even IBM's OS2 warp was nicer than Windows 95...

Whoa; showing my age here now....geez forgot I'm a grandpa now....
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
rapunzel

Post by rapunzel »

windows xp