Poll : What OS are you running?

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.

What OS are you running on your joggler(s)?

Stock O2 OS
31%
Ubuntu
25%
Mint Linux
5%
Android 2.2
20%
JoliOS
5%
Meego
No votes
Other
15%

Total votes: 212

asantaga

Poll : What OS are you running?

Post by asantaga »

Curiosity asks. what OS are you running on your joggler(s)?

Angelo
Angelo
roobarb!

Re: Poll : What OS are you running?

Post by roobarb! »

I only run the O2 OS for testing SqueezePlay and messing about with things like the reflash tool. Other than that it's Ubuntu all the way. Hardware decoded 1080p H.264 video. You'll not see that on the native OS. :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
gegs

Post by gegs »

My wife fnds the stock O2 software easier to use, so I leave it on that when I'm out of the house. She likes Squeezeplay and the new iPlayer widget is fantastic. The Opera browser and the weather widget are also well used.

When I'm at home I use Ubuntu Maverick booting off a 250gb Seagate portable drive. I can download lots of stuff from XBMC and I've also got the Joggler set up as an SMB share to stream content to an Apple TV2. I also have another Joggler that is exclusively used for Squeezeplay and is hooked up to my hi-fi from a USB soundcard with S/PDIF output.

I also boot up JoliOS occasionally from a stick because my kids like the interface (so similar to their iPod Touch). I like to play with it too - it's got such an attractive user interface.

I've tried Android but it is much too phone orientated for my general use. If a tablet based version worked I would probably use it in preference to JoliOS but too many things don't work for me at the moment.

Ideally I'd love a portable disk with mulit-boot options for all these distros because I think they all have their unique advantages, so much so that I don't think I'll settle down to using one exclusively.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I should probably get the stock stuff working from within my linux distros looking at the results. dont like to lose at the os competition ;-)

I was also going to do the new linux mint version too.. anyone still using it ?
asantaga

Post by asantaga »

for me i've got two jogglers, the one downstairs runs stock o2 with squeezeplayer and pnp.. the one in the office is currently running android but I also have a Ubuntu 11.04 stick..

I find the ubuntu 11.04 sloow...and freezes often.. thus I tend to use the android 2.2 release.. its also much more finger friendly... torn..
Angelo
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

i mostly run jolios (jolicloud), same kernel etc with ubuntu though and xorg on my dists. I don't have stability problems. sometimes the wireless drops and is stubborn but maybe after a week or so at most. stability seems to be ok here.

If you have compiz running it might be worth turning it off on ubuntu. if you get complete freezes, it might be interesting if you are logged in my shell and can get the last stuff mesg throws out.

I admit i haven't yet tried android. I should do and also meego, but I have been spending some time using my jogglers rather than devving which has been nice :)
gegs

Post by gegs »

BuZz wrote:I should probably get the stock stuff working from within my linux distros looking at the results. dont like to lose at the os competition ;-)

I was also going to do the new linux mint version too.. anyone still using it ?
I almost forgot that I also have Linux Mint on another stick. It's what I use on my PC but I've generally been using the Ubuntu distro on the Joggler to give me a bit more debian-based linux experience.

Linux Mint is really good and it normally ships with more proprietary codecs than Ubuntu, so it's usually easier to get stuff working. If you've got more than one Joggler it's definitely worth installing it on one, if only to find out what it has to offer. As I previously mentioned, I'd love to be able to multi-boot all of the distros available on the forum because they all have their own good points.
gegs

Post by gegs »

Oh yeah! and Linux Mint wouldn't be showing zero if I'd been able to choose more than 3 options.

BuZz, even by my poor arithmetical reasoning you're not losing to the stock OS - add your distro figures together and you're whipping its sorry ass (just). I like your idea of getting some of the native apps to work in Linux though; the iPlayer and SWF Manager widgets would be top of my list.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

made this thread / poll sticky for a while so we can get some more votes in :)
gegs

Post by gegs »

If people want a finger-friendly OS for Joggler more of them should try JoliOS rather than Android for the time being, IMHO. Sorry asantaga, but more of JoliOS works well on Joggler at present and you can carry most of your apps and preferences wherever you go if you also use Jolicloud on Google Chrome.

It's not that I'm against Android - I love that development is still ongoing for the device and it will only continue to get better - it's just that I'm surprised that Android users outnumber JoliOS ones at present by 2 to 1. But hey, one of the joyous wonders of life, the universe and everything is that not everybody thinks like me.
asantaga

Post by asantaga »

ha :-) not insulted at all :-) Actually I've toasted my android stick so I might try JoliOS again, who knows might work better for me second time around!
Angelo
guidows

Post by guidows »

I tested megoo, android, JoliOS and Linux Mint.

Megoo is too green, Android is so good as a tactile OS, but doesn't have more software, so it's some useless to me. JoliOS is horribly slow. Right now i'm using Mint, as a server for twonky, samba and squizeebox, a download console with plowshare and a music player with squizeplayer.

(also, I'm almost sure that i have the only one Joggler in Chile, probably in all southamerica)
Last edited by guidows on Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gegs

Post by gegs »

asantaga wrote:ha :-) not insulted at all :-) Actually I've toasted my android stick so I might try JoliOS again, who knows might work better for me second time around!
It's just a timing thing for me. I can see that as more workarounds are found to make things work in Android it will be awesome; it is so quick but just not functional enough for me at present. The lack of Flash is a big negative point for me. I was just surprised that stats weren't a bit more even with JoliOS for those who like a finger-friendly distro because it has been around longer. I still appreciate your work with Android and still occasionally tinker around with it.

Not that JoliOS is perfect either. It needs an internet connection all the time.

One of the big plus points for Ubuntu (or Mint) for me is that I can run them without being connected to the internet. I run Ubuntu off a portable hard drive that has lots of video on it; I can take the whole thing on holiday and play locally stored video files in XBMC to keep my kids amused - even if I'm stuck in a cottage in the wilderness with no internet. I can't do that with JoliOS or Android.
nigelh

Post by nigelh »

gegs wrote:If people want a finger-friendly OS for Joggler more of them should try JoliOS rather than Android for the time being, IMHO. Sorry asantaga, but more of JoliOS works well on Joggler at present and you can carry most of your apps and preferences wherever you go if you also use Jolicloud on Google Chrome.

It's not that I'm against Android - I love that development is still ongoing for the device and it will only continue to get better - it's just that I'm surprised that Android users outnumber JoliOS ones at present by 2 to 1. But hey, one of the joyous wonders of life, the universe and everything is that not everybody thinks like me.

I tend to agree with you. Even though it is good to be able to run android on the joggler, it falls down on video performance. This is mainly because the hardware is not used properly. With JoliOs, even though it might not be quite so finger friendly as android, everything works as it should.
EvilMonkey

Post by EvilMonkey »

Good thread for me,

I just toasted my nice and stable (until I killed it) ubuntu image. It took me a while to get it setup just right for me, but by the end I was happy with Rhythmbox hooking into my itunes DB on a NAS for music, Spotify for more music and a nice screensaver showing photo's from another NAS.

So coming back to see what's being done on jogglers 6+ on is amazing. I've recently used Mint on a netbook and liked it, so I've tried that one. A bit too slow for general use IMHO, a minute to open Chromium when nothing else is open....

I'm not sure Jolicloud will be my thing, but I've plenty of USB stick spare, so it'd be interesting to see it. Otherwise its back to Ubuntu (and this time make sure the images I make of the USB sticks actually work!)

Ta all your thoughts about the current distros

E.M.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

EvilMonkey wrote: So coming back to see what's being done on jogglers 6+ on is amazing. I've recently used Mint on a netbook and liked it, so I've tried that one. A bit too slow for general use IMHO, a minute to open Chromium when nothing else is open....
mint can be a bit heavy, and works better if slimmed down but that doesnt sound right. it could have been updating something like the package indexes at the time. you also have used a hardware/software method to avoid cpu throttling etc ?

chrome should load in a few seconds.
EvilMonkey

Post by EvilMonkey »

BuZz wrote: mint can be a bit heavy, and works better if slimmed down but that doesnt sound right. it could have been updating something like the package indexes at the time. you also have used a hardware/software method to avoid cpu throttling etc ?

chrome should load in a few seconds.
It's newer, slightly prettier, so I thought it was just that much heavier than ubuntu 10. Not sure about the packag indexes, it was my first or second boot, I've rebooted it and left it alone for a little while now, so hopefully it'll have got any updating sorted...

I've not used the guide to change the temperature trip points, but as there does seem something 'wrong' with the speed of mint on my joggler, I'll give this a go.

Thanks
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

One thing that you will want to do is to either disable the mintupdate or change the check period within the app. the default is 15mins, and it's far too often even for a desktop machine imho. weekly should be fine. One of the things I forgot to configure :)
EvilMonkey

Post by EvilMonkey »

Cor blimey, I rather like Jolicloud! The focus on the website is on the cloud stuff & social networks, not really what I use my Joggler for, but with a mix of there apps and dropping back to linux for a few more (and to tinker with the glslideshow settings) it's doing all I need it for.

The only niggle is I can't seem to get rhythmbox onto the dashboard only the 'local apps' folder, which puts it 2 clicks away, not a major problem but annoying as its one of my most used apps.

Thanks for the work, its appreciated

E.M.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

If I get time at some point, I'd like to give JoliOS a bit more of a test. I've messed about with it on the web a little, but I really don't think I've 'clicked' with it yet. But I keep coming back to it...
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)