Android 4.04 build - now fully working!

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
dwl99

Android 4.04 build - now fully working!

Post by dwl99 »

[Buzz came across this build which looks interesting http://www.familie-kirchhofer.de/android/

Unfortunately it's not rooted properly. I've tried updating the Superuser.apk to the latest version but still no root. I did manage to get Google Play working by booting my PC from an Ubuntu Live CD, opening the USB stick & pasting the gapps apk's into system/app (OK, I know it's not pretty but it worked!). All gapps seem to be working now. Some apps don't show up in Google Play but I'll be editing features.xml to spoof things like phone, bluetooth & GPS. The Trebuchet launcher which came preinstalled has a weird-looking homescreen with funny spacing of icons but Nova launcher works fine. The sound comes out of the Joggler's internal speaker and the headphone jack doesn't seem to work. Wifi internet access is fine and the whole ROM has a nice, solid feel to it. My Swiftkey keyboard works well which is good cos it wouldn't run on the previous Froyo build.

Can anyone offer some advice:
1. How to get a proper root
2. Which file needs edited to get the sound coming out of the headphone jack

Ta]

EDIT - bugs all fixed by cliche, please see this post for download details. Fully rooted & headphone jack audio output enabled. For Windows users just use 7zip to decompress the file and then decompress the second file inside then use win32diskimager to write the img file to a USB stick. The build is configured for Wifi and not ethernet.

Please note cliche's comment:
Bug - if the Joggler goes to sleep, it turns off the touchscreen so there's no way to wake it back up. Workaround is to tick 'Stay Awake' in Developer Options in Settings. You can set the display timeout to whatever you like; which will cause it to dim the screen slightly after that period.

Once you have everything adjusted to your liking make sure you make a backup image of your USB stick with win32diskimager - my first attempt had a bad shutdown then got stuck in a bootloop so I lost a couple of hours putting everything back together :-(
Last edited by dwl99 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dwl99

Re: Help with Android 4.04 build please

Post by dwl99 »

It appears that the Linux kernel needs to be patched to fix the sound problem:

"Patches for the Linux kernel 3.10 can be found at https://github.com/pkirchhofer/android-kernel.
These patches fix the GMA500 graphics driver and the sound switching between internal speakers and line out.
To fix the sound properly copy the joggler-sound.patch file to /lib/firmware and set the corresponding kernel parameter snd_hda_intel.patch=joggler-sound.patch."

This is beyond my capabilities - can anyone point me in the right direction?
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

I wonder if any x86 android devs would want to have a joggler to play with?
The video issues might be a stumbling block but might be worth a try anyway :-)
Happy Joggling
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

The graphics aren't a problem, the main thing is the broken sound patch for the headphone socket.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Thats great , so this build will play video etc without stuttering etc didnt realise :$
Happy Joggling
kappa__2

Post by kappa__2 »

I've tried that build 2 weeks ago. Burned the img to a pen and tried to play video (xvid). No hw video acceleration....
pete

Post by pete »

A bit of a tangent and relating to the Openframe 2.0 device....

I have an Openframe 2 configured with a Broadcom Crystal HD card in it.

I'll give the build a try and see how it works on that device. It does do well streaming live HD TV and recorded 1080 stuff in XBMC today.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
cliche

Post by cliche »

dwl99 wrote:It appears that the Linux kernel needs to be patched to fix the sound problem:

"Patches for the Linux kernel 3.10 can be found at https://github.com/pkirchhofer/android-kernel.
These patches fix the GMA500 graphics driver and the sound switching between internal speakers and line out.
To fix the sound properly copy the joggler-sound.patch file to /lib/firmware and set the corresponding kernel parameter snd_hda_intel.patch=joggler-sound.patch."

This is beyond my capabilities - can anyone point me in the right direction?
I've finally had a minute to check the image on that page - the patch file is already in place (in /system/lib/firmware) and grub is setting that kernel parameter. I'll give it a try booting and try to see what the problem is.
cliche

Post by cliche »

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... 21&p=19215

Looks like someone else has already been having a go at this - might be worth looking at the modified patch and kernel. If I get more time I'll have a play.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Sounds a bit more hopeful. I'll have a go at a few things to try to get a proper root.
cliche

Post by cliche »

I've fixed the root issue - it wasn't rooted properly so no amount of SuperSU or other messing with APKs was going to help!

To fix: edit build.prop and set ro.secure to 0. Then set the suid bit on the 'su' binary installed in xbin.

If I get time later I'll investigate using a kernel from the other thread - from a brief read I get the impression that the kernel patch which changes the pin allocations isn't necessary.
cliche

Post by cliche »

Good news!
Root and sound all fixed.
To fix root: see post above
To fix sound - you just need to replace the patch file with roobarb!'s one from the post in the Linux thread.
Just replace the joggler-sound.patch file in /system/lib/firmware with this:

Code: Select all

[codec]
0x83847632 0x100 0

[pincfg]
0x07 0x01110014
0x08 0x01410013
0x0a 0x02111011
0x0d 0x02214012
0x0c 0x01810022
0x0b 0x01a10021
0x10 0x01010031
0x11 0x01310023
0x15 0x01d10024

[verb]
0x06 0x701 0x0000
0x07 0x70c 0x0002
0x14 0x390 0x0000
0x14 0x3a0 0x0000
0x0f 0x707 0x0000

[hint]
Now we just need the Android market and added features to get all the apps visible again.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

cliche wrote:I've fixed the root issue - it wasn't rooted properly so no amount of SuperSU or other messing with APKs was going to help!

To fix: edit build.prop and set ro.secure to 0. Then set the suid bit on the 'su' binary installed in xbin.

If I get time later I'll investigate using a kernel from the other thread - from a brief read I get the impression that the kernel patch which changes the pin allocations isn't necessary.
Thanks - I had already edited build.prop as you described but didn't know about the su binary bit.
cliche

Post by cliche »

dwl99 wrote: Thanks - I had already edited build.prop as you described but didn't know about the su binary bit.
Strictly speaking the build.prop bit isn't required - it's for root access via adb (which is handy though). Don't know why on earth the su binary wasn't suid though!
Do we have any suitable hosting if I knock up an edited build (with features edited in and android market)? Otherwise I can upload it to one of the file sharing sites.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Great news , good work people :-)
I would love a bootable image with all the alterations done please.
Thanks again
Happy Joggling
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Buzz has been very helpful with hosting files for previous builds
cliche

Post by cliche »

I'll upload it soon - just doing last few tweaks. I've included Google apps. It's about 100mb compressed.
cliche

Post by cliche »

http://www.mediafire.com/download/qcgve ... l2.img.tgz

My edited image - includes sound and root fixes, and Google apps (including the setup wizard which will load on first boot). Data is mounted with noatime to help with speed a bit.
104Mb download, expands to 2Gb for copying to a stick.

Bug - if the Joggler goes to sleep, it turns off the touchscreen so there's no way to wake it back up. Workaround is to tick 'Stay Awake' in Developer Options in Settings. You can set the display timeout to whatever you like; which will cause it to dim the screen slightly after that period.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

What a star! Downloading now.
kappa__2

Post by kappa__2 »

Downloaded and tried, Nicely done. Thanks! :-)

But still no graphics acceleration... I was hopping that those GMA500 patches would solve that..
I'm getting very frustrated with this Poulsbo graphics chip...

Any chance to get this solved?