Android 4.04 build - now fully working!

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
midnight

Re: Android 4.04 build - now fully working!

Post by midnight »

ah ok - thanks - shame, but no big deal, as will be more used for background music
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Night clock by Ned Fox is great , it lets you change colours etc .
Google calander works , Amazon music , Alexa app ( it's iffy works for ages then won't ! ) BBC radio , Spotify .
Video is fine on Xubuntu and i think PNP III still has YouTube , might be worth a try if you needed video , old XP works but for finger friendly Android might be best as a clock / radio .

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Happy Joggling
midnight

Post by midnight »

Thanks....I'll try out Night clock for sure. I have plex which might be worth using to serve music....but of course have Echo's too so will try out the alexa app on it. Video isn't important really, it was just a case of trying everything out as got it turned on :)
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

The Alexa App is cool when it eventually logs you in , the wheel spins for ages but it does eventually work .
It's shows what music is playing and shopping lists , stuff like that , you can say " Alexa add a Respberry pie to my shopping list " and you see it add in front of your eyes , as if by magic :-) , simple things ......

Happy Joggling
RufusA

Post by RufusA »

@midnight like you I recently resurrected an old Joggler to use as a bedside radio / clock.

If it helps I found Lux Lite from the App store works well on the Joggler to tame the backlight and turn it down below the minimum in to something tolerable at night.

The BBC iPlayer Radio works, but I don't see the station icons on the "dial".

RadioPlayer (also by BBC) which would have made a nice clock radio with non-BBC stations as well, I side-loaded, but it crashes all the time for me.

Rufus.
midnight

Post by midnight »

RufusA wrote: Wed May 03, 2017 6:00 pm @midnight like you I recently resurrected an old Joggler to use as a bedside radio / clock.

If it helps I found Lux Lite from the App store works well on the Joggler to tame the backlight and turn it down below the minimum in to something tolerable at night.

The BBC iPlayer Radio works, but I don't see the station icons on the "dial".

RadioPlayer (also by BBC) which would have made a nice clock radio with non-BBC stations as well, I side-loaded, but it crashes all the time for me.

Rufus.
Thanks I'll try Lux Lite out. For clock use Night Clock by ned fox does get pretty dark when you tap it. Ideally i'd like darker, but pretty sure its just a limitation of the screen most likely. Not sure if its just in my head or not, but does seem a little bit brighter than using the default os clock tho
tmohammad

Post by tmohammad »

quick question , have you logged into a google account to add apps?

mine crashed last time and corrupted image.... so I dont log in now....
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

There's no problem logging in, your USB drive must have got corrupted. I usually make a backup image of the USB stick with Win32diskimager every couple of months just in case...
sanjap

Post by sanjap »

toadmazter wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:46 pm Anyone successful with this build on OpenFrame 2 (the one with the larger speaker bar and the Zigbee chip) devices? I can't get wireless working, and I haven't figured out how to console in to try to enable Ethernet.
Did you figure it out? I am also having thesame issue on my openFrame 2
leepea

Post by leepea »

Is anyone able to pull a working Chrome app from this build? I've tried soooo many APKs and all FC on me.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Chrome beta worked for me , I'll have to check which version .

Happy Joggling
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

There's also a working Firefox Beta
pete

Post by pete »

OpenPeak 2 (the one with the larger speaker bar and the Zigbee chip) devices?

I have not had any issues running Buzz's latest Ubuntu build for this device; such that Android should work fine. Audio, built in Gb Nic, Wireless combo bluetooth NIC all work fine.

It does also have a CMOS battery in it unlike the O2 Joggler and Openpeak device.

I have had issues running Windows on this box- IRQ issues with sound chips, built in NIC and Wireless combo NIC with both the EFI and Seabios boot roms. The chip is soldered in to place on these and you cannot do a hot swap rom chip thing with it. It also has a 2Gb writable MMC drive in it versus the smaller Openpeak and O2 Joggler which only has a 1Gb writable MMC.

Totally different with smaller Openpeak device (with same Zigbee and DECT stuff in it) - No battery in it, Built in NIC and Audio work fine in Linux, Android and Windows. Here on mine booting from 16Gb SSD ZIF connected drives using blue tipped flipped ZIF cables. On the white and blue tipped flipped cables here used scotch tape to make the ZIF end thicker. On last modded build added a small 5 port USB hub to back of device and an RTC clock which works well in Linux but not in Windows. While I can see the DECT chip and USB sound card I cannot use it. Same for the serially connected Zigbee chip.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Ahh ok , I know that SqpOs installed internal causes Android boot issues on the Joggler , that's why I asked :-)

Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

Thank you hawsey.

Here updated a Cisco Openpeak 2 to an Avaya boot EFI.

I then put SqpOS on the main internal 2Gb MMC partiton and it is working great.

Before that also put Buzz's latest Ubuntu build on a USB stick and it boots fine on the SqpOS device.

Next writing Android to a USB stick and this one doesn't boot at all on the SqpOS Openpeak device.

I was thinking it was my Linux write so I decided to try a Windows write to the USB stick.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

I was able to get it working on the Openpeak 2 (Openframe2) by reformatting the two first partitions to fat16 and just copying over the files.

I did this with GParted because when I looked at the USB partitions sometimes would see fat32 and other times fat16.

So it looks fine except there is no sound, no wifi, no bluetooth or built in NIC.

It does see the time and date from RTC as it booted to current date but time is 5 hours ahead.
- Pete

Auto mater
lovingboth

Post by lovingboth »

I have just had to reinstall this - a power cut of a few seconds obviously happened at the wrong time because it wouldn't boot with the USB stick with this on inserted.

Huge thanks to everyone who made it possible. It had been running fine for over four years before this!

The main problem was re-finding the clock and stopwatch apps I use on it. Scrolling down a long list of ones in my 'library' on a device that keeps going "you tapped there, rather than scrolled, I'll just open that.." isn't fun, but is easier than trying to find the one you want amongst several hundred results for 'digital clock' etc.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

lovingboth wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 2:29 pm I have just had to reinstall this - a power cut of a few seconds obviously happened at the wrong time because it wouldn't boot with the USB stick with this on inserted.

Huge thanks to everyone who made it possible. It had been running fine for over four years before this!

The main problem was re-finding the clock and stopwatch apps I use on it. Scrolling down a long list of ones in my 'library' on a device that keeps going "you tapped there, rather than scrolled, I'll just open that.." isn't fun, but is easier than trying to find the one you want amongst several hundred results for 'digital clock' etc.
Did Google Play not offer to restore the apps? You might want to use someting like Titanium Backup for your apps & settings.
deeinlondon

Post by deeinlondon »

I had a working 4GB Micro SD Card plugged into a micro SD Card Reader and working on my Joggler to get Android 4.4 running. Was just using it as a clock for my father.

Wanted to see if it was possible to clone the SD Card in Windows 8.1 and put it on a 2nd Joggler but it didn't seem to work.

However now when I try to boot the original SD Card that has been working for years it doesn't boot into Android anymore buy goes direct into the OpenPeak system - anyone know why? I've not knowingly written anything to the SD Card, only read.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Looks like your original SD card got corrupted. This occasionally happened with mine and I got into the habit of making backups every couple of months with win32diskimager. If you have such a backup try flashing it over your original SD card, otherwise it's a new build I'm afraid.