Android 4.04 build - now fully working!

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
dwl99

Re: Android 4.04 build - now fully working!

Post by dwl99 »

Another brief update - Google Play Music is now working well on the Joggler & streams music from the cloud. Amazon MP3 Player likewise. The Ultimate Rotation Control app mentioned by hawsey now has a 7 day trial period but a good free alternative is Rotation Manager https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ionmanager - this allows me to use the Tripadvisor app without having to tilt my head sideways!
asantaga

Post by asantaga »

Brill, I've just come back to looking at my Jogglers.. awesome progress!
Angelo
rivergo1d

Post by rivergo1d »

Would online banking apps such as Santander, lloyds etc work on this build?
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Theoretically no, as it's rooted. Also you cannot run root cloak on the Joggler Android builds as the Xposed Framework won't run.
lovingboth

Post by lovingboth »

Thank you for this.

Once the img was written to the USB flash drive, the main problem I had was trying to go up an entry or two in the initial welcome screen, from US English to British English - the Joggler's screen is awfully crude compared to modern ones, and many touches of the screen are interpreted as 'clicks'. I was soon down past Zulu and into the non-Latin alphabet languages and then had to scroll, select, scroll, select, sc.. click, scroll etc back up again...
sero13

Post by sero13 »

Could anybody share how to get ethernet working with this build? I've seen references to enabling it via the command line but I'm a bit of an idiot and would need step by step instructions. My joggler is going in the garage at the bottom of the garden, well out of the way of WiFi signal but amazingly power line adapters work so ethernet is my only option.

This build is great, seems to be very stable. I tried bbc iplayer but it just crashes. I only really want the radio so I'll just use the iplayer radio app, but its a bit annoying that its portrait only. Ah well, first world problems!
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Sorry I can't help out on this build but why not try another android build where Ethernet does work :-)
You can download an app that forces horizontal and if works on this build I tried words with friends app and BBC news .
If you only really want radio you can't beat the options on PNPIII including squeeze play .
Also squezeplay os is supposed to be great but I have only tinkered with it ....
Happy Joggling
sero13

Post by sero13 »

Thanks for your reply. I think I'll have to look at another build but this one is the smoothest I've used so far so I thought it would be worth a go!

I found these instructions on apt he JazzMod thread from user fredo:
Hi there,

Just wanted to share about wired ethernet support in latest Mijuu's ICS release : http://www.mporting.com/2012/01/ics-4-0 ... ler-alpha/
Everything is already setup for wired ethernet to work in this release, but the Ethernet UI is missing in this version of Android X86.
So I found this post explaining the commands to run to activate Ethernet : https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... AruOgJ3ddc.
Here are the commands :

Code: Select all

# netcfg eth0 up
# netcfg eth0 dhcp
# setprop net.dns1 8.8.8.8
I tried it and it worked !
So I used instructions on this page to run the script at startup : http://www.technohunk.com/2013/02/how-t ... t-android/
Here is the script :

#!/system/bin/sh
netcfg eth0 up
netcfg eth0 dhcp
setprop net.dns1 8.8.8.8
Everything works fine except that the market won't download apks over ethernet for some reason (App search/browsing works but installation hangs on "Getting network connection"). I did not investigate on that since the market works fine over Wifi (I installed my apps and disabled Wifi after).
They must be a way to run the script by placing it in /system/etc/init.d/ but I did not try that.
Hope this helped...
Enjoy !

Fred.
When I run the script it states:

action 'up' failed (cannot assign requested address)
action 'dhcp' failed (cannot assign requested address)
Does anyone have any idea on how to get it working?
sero13

Post by sero13 »

Ok, so I have been playing around with this a little bit more. I tried some other android builds but none are anywhere near as stable as this one. I reflashed my usb stick with this one, only downloaded Nova Launcher and Terminal app and tried again.

I ran the following as su in terminal: # ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.131 netmask 255.255.255.0

After running netcfg it showed eth0 as up! I disconnected the wifi and I could connect to the internet! Hooray!

However… I read that ethernet doesn’t play nicely with the Goole Play store so I turned the wifi back on to download Google music. Then I rebooted. Big mistake! If I run netcfg now it shows eth0 as down and trying the ifconfig command again gives SIOCSIFFLAGS: cannot assign requested address.

Not sure where to go from here. Gutted as it feels like im so close! Anyone else have any ideas?
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

So two people at least are having issues writing this to a stick and getting it to boot ,
Could this be a slow USB stick issue , what sticks are you trying out that are not booting ?
Tonight I will try and write to an old stuck and try replicate the issue .
Happy Joggling
jaydee999

Post by jaydee999 »

One of them is me. I appreciate the help. Will also try other sticks.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

OK , looking back through the thread , I even had this problem in Jan 2014 :-)
So from my experience of failed sticks
1:Use the fastest stick you have
2: you must use the HP utilities tool to format the stick first not the windows format tool
3 : Use Win 32 disc imager to write to the stick

Is this what you are doing ?
Happy Joggling
mikeywilliams

Post by mikeywilliams »

hawsey wrote:OK , looking back through the thread , I even had this problem in Jan 2014 :-)
So from my experience of failed sticks
1:Use the fastest stick you have
2: you must use the HP utilities tool to format the stick first not the windows format tool
3 : Use Win 32 disc imager to write to the stick

Is this what you are doing ?
Yes I was following steps 2 and 3 as per usual.
The usb stick is a 4gb Xporter patriot.
Dont know how fast it is, but it worked fine for some other distros.
My last spare stick so better buy a couple more.
Many thanks for your patient help.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Another thing , how long are you leaving it to boot ? It took ages for my first boot , not like other distros which seem quick by comparison .
Happy Joggling
jaydee999

Post by jaydee999 »

Historically, I've always used Bootice to format my sticks, but on the last teo occasions, I followed your instructions to the letter.
The sticks I am using are all 4GB, either Transcend generic or Sandisk Cruzer. I'm not leaving it to boot, because it doesn't even start: it keeps defaulting to the internal SQPOS software.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

That's interesting , @jaydee999 I wonder @mikeywilliams do you also have the SQPOS on internal ?
Just wondering if this version of Android is just taking too long to boot and so the internal is kicking in first .
As I looked back on the problems I had at first , all be it a year and a half ago though its probably not that because I've never flashed to internal before .
Also have either of you tried the earlier 1.2.3 version of Android ?
Happy Joggling
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

I don't recommend the earlier build, it's a lot clunkier. Make sure you are using the latest version of win32diskimager too.
mikeywilliams

Post by mikeywilliams »

hawsey wrote:That's interesting , @jaydee999 I wonder @mikeywilliams do you also have the SQPOS on internal ?
Just wondering if this version of Android is just taking too long to boot and so the internal is kicking in first .
As I looked back on the problems I had at first , all be it a year and a half ago though its probably not that because I've never flashed to internal before .
Also have either of you tried the earlier 1.2.3 version of Android ?
Yes i do have sqpos on internal.
When i switch on the liddle led on the stick flashes away as though it is trying to boot.

OK. I just tried it on another joggler with pnp3 on it and, mirabile dictu, it booted into Android.
Well done Hawsey, you cracked it.
Now to explore Android on the joggler.
Thanks again!
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Amazing ha ha , that's great so saying you only have a Joggler with SQPos on internal , then what :0)
Maybe a faster stick would work or maybe , a question for @Roobarb ( will be too busy to see this ) , could delaying the boot of Sqpos a little help ?
Questions questions .....
Happy Joggling
jaydee999

Post by jaydee999 »

One of the things I like about SQPOS internal is how quickly it boots. I'd hate to see that compromised.
Now we know the issue, it's no problem for me to install PnP or 30300, or whatever.
I think we should leave roobarb in peace, since the new baby probably won't be!
Congrats to roobarb, and thanks to hawsey.
And if you only have one Joggler, then you ain't a proper Joggler!. Buy another to play with!!