Spotify Mobile now free

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
monkums

Spotify Mobile now free

Post by monkums »

In case you missed it Spotify has changed it's free usage policy. Apart from the mobile app no longer be Premium only the other big change is that free accounts will no longer be subject to a 10 hour per month limit.

http://goo.gl/8zXl6V

I currently run SPOS on my Jogglers and know that a premium account was needed to run Spotify.

Two of my Jogglers at at home and run from my server so I know I can use Triode's plugin if someone could link to to a guide to setting it up.

My third Joggler currently sits on my desk at work and basically runs as an internet radio linked to mysqueezebox.com. I managed to log into Spotify on this Joggler using the built in app and it pulled all my account info over as well as playlists but it won't play any files and I get an 'Unable to play file' error.

Is there a way to get the official app working?
JimbobVFR400

Re: Spotify Mobile now free

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

No, you still need a premium account to use other devices. Free has simply been extended to cover mobiles and tablets. Additionally the mobile version only allows shuffle play, whereas the tablet version will play individual tracks.

Personally I use an app called AOA (Airplay on Android) and the Shairport server in SqueezeplayOS to use Spotify free on my Nexus 7. This does require the Nexus to be rooted.