Deleting Apps And Icons

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
eduponesarris

Deleting Apps And Icons

Post by eduponesarris »

Any advice for clearing up the screen a bit? I have got putty and installed the apps from Tarkan's excellent build, but I will never use most of the stuff. I would like to delete some of the apps from the Joggler, as I intend mainly to use it as a Squuezebox.

Thanks

J
dwl99

Re: Deleting Apps And Icons

Post by dwl99 »

PMJ (pimp my joggler) will remove many of the apps.
eduponesarris

Post by eduponesarris »

Pimp my Joggler put them on, don't see how to remove them?

J
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

re-run PMJ & select "n" for no for the ones you don't want.
eduponesarris

Post by eduponesarris »

I notice a lot of the posts from 2010 refer to the ability to return the Joggler to Native State. They all refer to the filke below, which is now an inaccessible web page. Has anybody got this image stored on a rshare etc?

http://o2.openpeak.co.uk/firmware/app-o ... eimage.tgz
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Here you go http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1107587/app-o2f ... eimage.tgz

This is for a later file called app-o2flash-26635.8686-S3-f1-reimage.tgz.

If it doesn't work then try this http://www.joggler.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1160
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

dwl99 wrote:Here you go http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1107587/app-o2f ... eimage.tgz

This is for a later file called app-o2flash-26635.8686-S3-f1-reimage.tgz.

If it doesn't work then try this http://www.joggler.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1160
We should have stuff like this more prominent in the wiki, I feel. Might do that today if I have a quiet lunchtime.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
eduponesarris

Post by eduponesarris »

Thanks for the file Glescae,

I have it downloaded, need to do some reading up on it, as the telnet commands are written to grab the file from the net as opposed to from a USB stick. I have never really got into Linux, as I moved straight from the ZX81 via a spectrum, BBC Model B (deluxe version with ROMS and HD), Atari ST and into the pc and windows world. I used to do loads of programming with GFA Basic, and am into VBA primarily around coding inside access databases, but have never owned a machine running Linux/Unix. I should imagine that as you can install through a web script as some of the clever chaps have written, you could probably develop a tool to remove apps and icons from the Joggler. The you not probably being me... :-)
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

There IS a script to remove icons - it's PMJ!!

To reflash the Joggler's memory you don't need to download the file separately, just boot into Ubuntu on your Joggler, open Terminal & enter:

wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1107587/app-o2flash-26635.8686-S3-f1-reimage.tgz
tar xvfz app-o2flash-26635.8686-S3-f1-reimage.tgz
sudo su
tools/bin/partimage -z2 restore /dev/mmcblk0p2 payload/image.myg
tools/bin/partimage -z2 restore /dev/mmcblk0p3 payload/image.myg
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt
cp payload/vmlinux /mnt/vmlinux0
cp payload/vmlinux /mnt/vmlinux1
cd /mnt
md5sum vmlinux0 >>sum0
md5sum vmlinux1 >>sum1
sed -i '3d' sum0
sed -i '3d' sum1
exit
eduponesarris

Post by eduponesarris »

Just been doing a quick read up and play with linux via putty, quite straightfoward to navigate to the directories, remove files using rm -f*, cd back up and rmdir. Not much different to DOS, it has removed the icons and apps, but now boots into CBeebies, which was the last app I removed. I am guessing that I need to edit the applications xml file to remove unwanted entries.

May have a bit more read up and see if I can edit the xml file to remove the deleted apps (if that is the cause !) and then reflash using your script.

Stop Press !
JUst went to install PMJ 0.42, was going fine and then looks like it ran out of memory. On reboot now all I have is the home icon, and the correct time and date top right.... having another go at your script to see if I can get back to basics and get past 58% this time
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

You probably still have the downloaded update file in the memory. If I were you I would reflash all 4 partitions & go for a clean install http://www.joggler.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1160 . Then you can run PMJ & then plug&pimp.

You can remove some of the apps from the desktop by editing /media/appshop/applications.xml

I'm afraid my avatar is just a random train picture!
eduponesarris

Post by eduponesarris »

Downloaded the latest Ubuntu Maverick 10 and put on a USB stick, rebooted and started the sequence.

wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1107587/app-o2f ... eimage.tgz
sudo su
tools/bin/partimage -z2 restore /dev/mmcblk0p2 payload/image.myg

Got as far as this and put in next line, got an error at 58% (58% appears to be a common thread now!) can't write block 146716, operation failed. So I guess the refresh partitions thing is needed.

Well impressed with the little keypad you use on terminal, altho a bit fiddly for my sausage fingers.
J
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

I think your Joggler's partitions might be corrupted. Can you install gparted using Synaptic Package Manager, open gparted & check that there are 4 partitions showing?

It's also much easier if you enable remote desktop in Ubuntu then access it via your Windows machine using vnc-4_1_3-x86_win32_viewer - that way you can copy & paste commands into Terminal using your PC's mouse & keyboard.
eduponesarris

Post by eduponesarris »

Thanks very much for your assistance, got a USB hub and plugged a keyboard in as well as the Ubuntu USB Stick. Just flashed it up and orignal factory reset restored.
Also loaded the gparted in as well, and all 4 partitions were there.

Points to note for anyone else restoring:

wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1107587/app-o2flash-26635.8686-S3-f1-reimage.tgz
sudo su
tools/bin/partimage -z2 restore /dev/mmcblk0p2 payload/image.myg The O in Op2 is an upper case letter O and not zero
tools/bin/partimage -z2 restore /dev/mmcblk0p3 payload/image.myg The O in Op3 is an upper case letter O and not zero
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt The O in Op1 is a zero
cp payload/vmlinux /mnt/vmlinux0
cp payload/vmlinux /mnt/vmlinux1
cd /mnt
md5sum vmlinux0 >>sum0
md5sum vmlinux1 >>sum1
sed -i '3d' sum0
sed -i '3d' sum1
exit

Would it be possible for a script guru to rewrite this as a script, and maybe put the restore files onto a USB stick so you could do a seamless restore....

From the exchanges in previous posts and my plainly obvious lack of knowledge on Linux that guru is most def. not me :-)

Thanks again

J
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

I think the 0p1, 0p2 and 0p3 above should all be zeroes :-)

It's much quicker & easier just to copy & paste each line into Terminal.
eduponesarris

Post by eduponesarris »

Having a go at restoring my mates joggler now, tried the above and it craps out due to a write error, repeated to make sure it wasnt random. Went to the restore partitions thread and downloded up to the third image on that, and that failed on lack of space. Just reformatted the partitions using gparted, but I'm wondering if he has a duff memory..
denisP

Post by denisP »

I now have this same fault on two Jogglers, both can be partitioned and loaded with each partition image but once the Ubuntu memory stick is removed they fail to boot the O2 Sofware and trash their memory contents. From what I have gathered the boot loader sits on mmcblk0p1 and the operating system is on mmcblk0p2 with a backup on mmcblk0p3. The apps and software appears to be on mmcblk0p4.

Do I need to set the root for the internal memory to mmcblk0p2 and if I do how do I do this?

When I create and format the partitions in Fdisk and Gparted the only format option for the EFI partition is Fat 16 but this sets the partion type to 6 rather than EF, I then reopen the patition in Fdisk and reset it to EF. Is there any way of formating the partion to EFI or is FAT 16 ok?
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

I've uploaded a single image of the entire flash memory of a factory-fresh Joggler so feel free to give this a go (might be closer to midnight tonight until it's finished uploading):

First, use boot into Ubuntu from a USB stick and use gparted to delete all the Joggler's internal memory partitions. You should end up with exactly 980.5MB of unallocated space. Anything less than this and you have a fault with the internal memory. Next, open terminal & enter the following lines one at a time:

sudo mkdir /backup
sudo chmod a+rwx /backup
cd /backup
sudo wget http://files.exotica.org.uk/?file=joggler/files/mmcblk0.img.gz
gzip -cd mmcblk0.img.gz | sudo dd of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=1M

After you're done, close down Ubuntu, pull the power supply for a minute then reboot into Joggler OS. If that doesn't work then there is probably a fault with the internal memory.
Last edited by dwl99 on Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
denisP

Post by denisP »

Many thanks dwl99, I thought the problem was down to setting mmcblk0p2 as the root.

its odd I now have two Jogglers with the same fault, one displays openpeak and freezes the other displays O2.

I had hoped it was a partion format issue or root problem.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

did it work?