Funky Backup Plan

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
roobarb!

Funky Backup Plan

Post by roobarb! »

This is just a thought I had for a cool little Joggler project. I'm not going to do it myself, as I have alternatives in place already, but if you've got a spare Joggler kicking around and fancy having a play I thought this might be a nice idea.

I use CrashPlan to make an offsite backup of the contents of my Drobo, plus some other stuff from the home server. CrashPlan offer a free service whereby you can use their software to back up locally (albeit with weaker encryption) to any other system. And their software is written in Java, so I'm pretty sure you could get it running on a Joggler. I have no idea how well it would run, but I would assume it would be good enough.

So, install sqpOS to internal memory and bin SqueezePlay, add the Java runtime and install the headless version of CrashPlan. Or even install the GUI version and have it display on screen the whole time (that would be pretty cool). Hook up a massive storage device to the USB port of the Joggler, chuck it on a UPS and voila! You've got a reasonably low-power backup solution - just install the CrashPlan client on any system you want to back up and point it to your Joggler.

Like I say, it's not something I plan on making myself, but I thought it was a funky enough plan to put out there. :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)