Prevent automatic O2 updates??

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Jarv_77

Post by Jarv_77 »

Hello all, I know I've seen it somewhere either here or on the old dead forum. My joggler has pnp squeezeserver etc on it but I'm worried that at any moment O2 will decide to run an update or generally fiddle remotely with my joggler and the set up will be lost.

How can I prevent O2 updates? There is a way but I can't find it.

Thanks
rockuad

Re: Prevent automatic O2 updates??

Post by rockuad »

Modify the file "host".
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

doesn't work. It can't be done.
chelseagirl

Post by chelseagirl »

I wonder if O2 are likely to do anything at all any more? After that big initial burst when they sold them cheap and then put loads of apps in the app shop, there've been couple of updates and then nothing. I don't think they're even selling them on the O2 online shop anymore.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

I very much doubt O2 will invest any more time or money in the platform now. They stopped selling the Joggler a while ago and OpenPeak have moved to Android rather than their in-house Flash GUI.

It will be possible to stop the Joggler from checking for updates; it's just a case of finding where the code lives. There's some in the startup scripts, but I bet there's something in the Flash GUI as well. By far the quickest and simplest route would be to block openpeak.co.uk on your router, although this comes with one obvious disadvantage. ;)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
Jarv_77

Post by Jarv_77 »

Thanks all,
I was sure I'd seen someone advise a script or code change somewhere to prevent updates, but I take your points about O2 not being likely to be bothered!

Our joggler was a present, I haven't checked prices or availability, there must come a time when they aren't being made any more? Or has that happened already I wonder?
gegs

Post by gegs »

I think Open Peak have moved on to other devices and other operating systems. Jogglers can only be purchased as second-hand or remainder stock, as far as I'm aware, so I don't think there's any interest in upgrading or system development from O2's perspective. If they ever stock another Open Peak device it's likely to run Android. An example of this lack of interest is that you cannot update a brand new Joggler (which the device tries to do by default). I tried to do this with a warranty replacement device but it appears that the O2 upgrade server is no longer serving and it got stuck in an endless upgrade cycle. The only way I could get it to work was by replacing the OS with one of the images on this wonderful forum.

O2 gave the pretence that they were interested in a developer community by opening their (limited) app store and posting links to the SDK and Joggler application style guide - but this was just before they stopped stocking the device. The SDK and style guide are linked to from this page - http://bit.ly/7PNBkv but I've not tried to download the SDK so I don't know if the link still works.

------------EDIT---------------

It appears that the SDK and style guide are no longer available from the link above. I don't know if anyone on the forum has archived them. You might get a valid link if you email contact@o2litmus.info - but you also may not.
Jarv_77

Post by Jarv_77 »

Just a quick update,
I found the link where I first saw the 'prevent updates' script. It is here.....
http://webdiary.com/2010/11/05/squeezeb ... -a-budget/

"
Disable automatic software updating to ensure that all your good work is not undone in the future:
echo "127.0.0.1 localhost applog.openpeak.net o2.openpeak.com o2.openpeak.co.uk" > /etc/hosts
"
pete

Post by pete »

Today I read the post relating to preventing updates and the "patch" provided by roobarb! at "birds like wires".

I applied the patch to my O2 running Joggler.

Its an interesting read here:

http://birdslikewires.co.uk/articles/updatectrl-joggler
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
cotton

Post by cotton »

I hope it can be stopped and 8-) It will be possible to stop the Joggler from checking for updates; it's just a case of finding where the code lives.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's used the Update Control tool in an attempt to halt the OpenPeak update. From what I changed there's the possibility it will do the job, but it's those other update odds-and-sods that are in some of the startup scripts I wasn't so sure about.

They're actually fairly easily modified, but my aim was to keep the tweak as minimal as possible.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
slatermethuen

Post by slatermethuen »

My three Jogglers have all had your update control applied. So far none of them have been affected by the O2 updates.
gegs

Post by gegs »

Jarv_77 wrote:Hello all, I know I've seen it somewhere either here or on the old dead forum. My joggler has pnp squeezeserver etc on it but I'm worried that at any moment O2 will decide to run an update or generally fiddle remotely with my joggler and the set up will be lost.

How can I prevent O2 updates? There is a way but I can't find it.

Thanks
You might also want to make an image of your existing setup, just in case.
Details on the following wiki page:

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/Frequen ... _System.3F
Max

Post by Max »

I didn't install the update blocker on mine, but I do have O200.openpeak.co.uk blocked in the hosts file and on my DNS server. It hasn't updated so far. My other one is switched off just in case.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

slatermethuen wrote:My three Jogglers have all had your update control applied. So far none of them have been affected by the O2 updates.
That's great to know, thank you.

Happy to hear any more reports!
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

gegs wrote:An example of this lack of interest is that you cannot update a brand new Joggler (which the device tries to do by default). I tried to do this with a warranty replacement device but it appears that the O2 upgrade server is no longer serving and it got stuck in an endless upgrade cycle. The only way I could get it to work was by replacing the OS with one of the images on this wonderful forum.

I was hoping to buy a second joggler but don't understand the implications of this or what, if anything, I need to look out for. (I would still be able to reflash it if necessary and use a usb with ubuntu on a 'new' joggler or update it with PnPIII - yes?) Sorry to sound so dumb! :oops: