SqueezePlay for Joggler (Native, Ubuntu & SQPOS)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Paul Webster

Re: SqueezePlay for Joggler (Native, Ubuntu & SQPOS)

Post by Paul Webster »

You connect via SSH ... and from Windows, probably the easiest way is install "Putty" then use it to login (id joggler and password is the same).
While in you could change the password (passwd).

See also https://birdslikewires.uk/squeezeplay-os for other things that you might like to do via SSH (Secure SHell).
theastroboy88

Post by theastroboy88 »

I finally got the time to try out mounting cifs referencing jogglerhase's post. There were a few hiccups. I had to first update the sources.list following one of pete's post. Then I could follow jogglerhase's instructions:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install cifs-utils
sudo service autofs restart <===== this didn't work, so I skipped it

EDIT root/etc/fstab
and add the following line:
//<ip-address>/<share> /mnt/music cifs username=<username>,password=<password>,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,rw,sec=ntlmv2 0 0

I took out 'mand' because I didn't know what it was and I had to add 'sec=ntlmv2' to get it to work.

Thanks all for the help.
jkn

Post by jkn »

Hi All

Volume of Squeezeplay 'jumping' when using SQPOS on Openpeak 7E

as on a recent thread in 'Marketplace', I have just bought one of the OpenPeak 7E units, with better internal speakers etc.

I've put Roobarb's SQPOS on it and is is mostly working. However the volume (of the internal speaker output) is jumping up an down, at intervals of roughly 10 to 15 seconds, from 'adequate' to 'way too quiet'.

My other running Joggler uses a USB DAC and the volume is fine both configured for this, and for using the internal speaker. Any pointers as to what might be up here?

Thanks a lot, Jon N
jkn

Post by jkn »

jkn wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 11:46 am Hi All

Volume of Squeezeplay 'jumping' when using SQPOS on Openpeak 7E

as on a recent thread in 'Marketplace', I have just bought one of the OpenPeak 7E units, with better internal speakers etc.

I've put Roobarb's SQPOS on it and is is mostly working. However the volume (of the internal speaker output) is jumping up an down, at intervals of roughly 10 to 15 seconds, from 'adequate' to 'way too quiet'.

My other running Joggler uses a USB DAC and the volume is fine both configured for this, and for using the internal speaker. Any pointers as to what might be up here?

Thanks a lot, Jon N
Update: Hmm, this seems related to the fact that I had/have two SQPOS jogglers running at the same time. If i turn one off, things are fine with the other. But with two on I can part-control one with t'other!

Shurely there should be no problem having two squeezeplay clients (different IP addresses, via DHCP, and hostnames) working with the same server? I don't think I have 'synchronize' enabled.

I think I am missing something basic here - any thoughts?

Thanks, Jon N
jkn

Post by jkn »

OK, let's start from the beginning. Hopefully this is more clearly presented information...
  • I have Logitech Media Server installed on a home server (not sure of version, but < 7.8.0)). I do not use mysqueezebox.com (I don't have an account, even)
  • I have two Jogglers on my home network. Both use wifi only and get IP addresses via DHCP. They are both on the same subnet as the server (Internet comms is not an issue).
  • Both Jogglers run Roobarb's SQPOS, from a pendrive.
  • I have (just now) realised that I should do individual Settings->Joggler Name from the SQPOS menu. I have given each joggler a different name, say "Joggler1" and "Joggler2". Until not I thought that having different IP addresses, and/or different hostnames, would disambiguate the two devices. I rebooted the Jogglers after this.
  • in the Server Settings, there is a 'Player' tab. I assume this refers to the (single instance?) of the 'player' part of LMS, that sends audio data to (on or more?) clients. I have named this player 'vplayer' and reset the server
  • No synchronising is set within LMS
  • I can see the name of the individual Jogglers (Joggler1 or joggler2) coming up on the title bar of the SQPSOS screen
Despite all of this the two jogglers still seem to be interfering with each other and I cannot play 'song1' on Joggler1', 'song2' on 'Joggler2'...

One thing that is puzzling me is the significance of the 'player' side of things on the server. The 'player' pulldown menu at the top RHS of the server administration screen (near the Logitech logo) only gives the options 'vplayer' or 'Synchronise'. So I only have one 'player' on the server - fair enough, assuming one player can stream to multiple clients. But if I look at the player tab of the settings page, there is only details of one client listed, eg:

Code: Select all

Player Model: SqueezePlay
Firmware: 7.7.2-r9710
Player IP Address: 192.168.0.44
Player MAC Address: 02:4c:e5:18:6d:60
I have seen details of both clients here, but not at the same time.

Do I (for instance) have to load up another instance of a player on the server if order to serve two clients? If so, how please?

Thanks for any pointers to basic information I seem to be missing.

Cheers
jon
Paul Webster

Post by Paul Webster »

If each player (Joggler/Openpeak) presents itself to LMS as the same MAC address then it will cause odd problems.
Note - the player in the Joggler/Openpeak can claim to be a particular MAC address via a command line parameter.

So - turn off one device and connect the other one and look at LMS web interface (usually port 9000) to see what it shows as the characteristics of the player (Settings/Player).

Then switch off that device and start the other one and do the same.
johnnygal

Post by johnnygal »

Yep, I agree with Paul. Check the MAC address of each player by running it independently.

I have three here (one now a 7e that I bought from the last batch of 3 on ebay) and each shows with it's name in the dropdown on the "Player" tab of the LMS admin pages. (see attachment)

Maybe restart LMS if you haven't already done this since renaming your player names to unique names.

"The 'player' pulldown menu at the top RHS of the server administration screen (near the Logitech logo) only gives the options 'vplayer' or 'Synchronise'."
No, all your individual players (i.e. each joggler SQOS client) should show here in the dropdown.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
jkn

Post by jkn »

Hi Guys
Thanks for all of the above ... it's heartening to know that what I am attempting to do should be fine.

I do need to check the MAC addresses, and in fact in my earlier posting I did notice that the MAC address shown on the server control panel (for the player) was not exactly the same as the actual MAC address of the joggler (?!).

I will follow your suggestion of checking one-by-one shortly - I have turned each of them off & on (separately), and restarted the LMS, to no avail. In fact earlier today the 'Joggler2' name appeared on 'joggler1'!

One conceptual thing I am puzzled about - assuming the two jogglers have different real MAC addresses (as I think they have), then the only way this problem could arise is if this command-line parameter that has been mentioned gives the same MAC addresses for the different jogglers. Why would it ever do this? in fact why would the parameter be set in normal invocation?

Anyway, I'm probably getting ahead of myself. I'll try to do another step-by-step investigation and see what I can learn.

Cheers, Jon N
jkn

Post by jkn »

OK, some more real information - the plot thickens...

== Joggler 1 only on ==
MAC address of wlan0 is 90:4c:e5:18:6d:60
My router sets this to 192.168.0.156 via DHCP

ssh in, and ifconfig says:

wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 90:4c:e5:18:6d:60  
          inet addr:192.168.0.156  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
LMS settings page says:

Player IP Address: 192.168.0.156
NB: this is close to, but not exactly, the actual MAC address of the Joggler

== Joggler 2 only on ==

(LMS restarted)

MAC address of wlan0 is 00:0e:8e:22:8c:cd
My router sets this to 192.168.0.44 via DHCP

ssh in, and ifconfig says:

wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0e:8e:22:8c:cd  
    inet addr:192.168.0.44  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
But the LMS setting page says (only one player option)

Player IP Address: 192.168.0.44
That is: IP address correct, but the same MAC address as when the previous Joggler was on (and a MAC address which doesn't match either actual joggler!)

It seems to me that this ties in with the idea that the player is started with a (partly-spoofed?) MAC address, eg. from the command line. This MAC address is part of the LMS disambiguation mechanism, and if two players with the same 'command line MAC address' are found, then even if the IP addresses are differnt the soft of symptoms I have seen will ensue.

However, this would occur to everyone who tried to run multiple players without making some adjustment, and there would be a well-know procedure to fix things. That doesn't seem to be the case here... so I am wondering if this can be right

Any more observations/suggestions very welcome!

Cheers, Jon N
johnnygal

Post by johnnygal »

Weird isn't it. I do recall that some "jiggery-pokery" is done to MAC addresses by SQOS, to try and create a pseudo unique address.

Reading your last post jogged (pun intended!) my memory in that I had some funnies when trying to use MAC addresses in my router configuration to tie down IP address to given MAC addresses. The MAC address that LMS reports is the wired ethernet adapter MAC address whereas the router sees the wlan MAC address. So I think SQOS is messing about with the mac address that is used when connecting to LMS.

Not sure how this may help you as you seem to have 2 jogglers reporting to LSMS the same MAC address. Did you clone the USB stick once it had been setup on the first joggler? It is probably during first boot from a new SQOS usb stick that the mac addresses are sorted out, based on the hardware present at the time. By using the same usb stick image in another joggler, the mac address is carried across?
jkn

Post by jkn »

Hi Johhny
johnnygal wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 11:40 pm Weird isn't it. I do recall that some "jiggery-pokery" is done to MAC addresses by SQOS, to try and create a pseudo unique address.

Reading your last post jogged (pun intended!) my memory in that I had some funnies when trying to use MAC addresses in my router configuration to tie down IP address to given MAC addresses. The MAC address that LMS reports is the wired ethernet adapter MAC address whereas the router sees the wlan MAC address. So I think SQOS is messing about with the mac address that is used when connecting to LMS.

Not sure how this may help you as you seem to have 2 jogglers reporting to LSMS the same MAC address. Did you clone the USB stick once it had been setup on the first joggler? It is probably during first boot from a new SQOS usb stick that the mac addresses are sorted out, based on the hardware present at the time. By using the same usb stick image in another joggler, the mac address is carried across?
Yes, I thought about this, but I created both pendrives from Roobarb's image - no cloning involved.

I did, however, install <pendrive1> into <joggler2>, before I created the second pendrive. I wonder if this confused something on the server?

I am going to start from scratch again with two fresh pendrives...

J^n
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

johnnygal wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 11:40 pm By using the same usb stick image in another joggler, the mac address is carried acros?
I think this is the most likely answer, this behaviour has been noted by others when using cloned sd cards on raspberry pi.

I seem to remember that roobarb had a fix for the MAC spoofing problem in the last release.
v3.03 (15th January 2015)
Kernel 3.18.2op4.
SqueezePlay for OpenFrame v1.60.
Added in a few more recent wireless card drivers as kernel modules.
Kernel panic reboot delay is now specified in the kernel config instead of in /boot/grub.cfg.
Kernel SCSI CDROM support (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR) now built-in to improve detection of WNDA3200.
We now handle MAC address generation completely. Pushed udev out of the loop.
ronnie
jkn

Post by jkn »

Hi All
Well, I seem to have got things working at last, although I am not entirely sure what made the difference...

I did a combination of:
  • on the server, editing

/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/prefs/server.prefs
    (after performing

sudo systemctl stop squeezeboxserver
    ) and clearing out everything, or removing complete '_client:' sections, where the MAC address seemed to be spurious
  • restarting the server with no jogglers powered up
  • on each joggler, performing a 'reset all settings' [not just reverting Network to defaults]
  • making sure to set the wireless network details, and setting the player name appropriately
  • pressing 'Accept and continue' rather than anything else when commissioning the jogglers
I finally seem to have the server showing two differently-named players, and can stream different content to each, hurrah!

What is weird is that the MAC address of each player is shown incorrectly on the 'player' tab. They are shown as FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF and FF:BF:BF:BF:BF:BF. There is one more entry in server.prefs, with the correct MAC address for one joggler. I might experiment with 'correcting' the contents of this file, but on the other hand I may let sleeping dogs lie. I have seen some comments in other parts of the forum about writing MAC addresses, but I presume this only applies to eth0, whereas I am using wlan0? At any rate, I don't think my jogglers have their wlan0 MAC addresses spoofed via a udev rule. I have no idea where these xf:...:xf MAC addresses are coming from...

Thanks for the assistance with all of this!

Cheers, Jon N
pete

Post by pete »

Yeah there is a script I found buried in there that is a random number generator for a MAC address. Thinking it is in the SQP directories. So you will see one IP from the OS and another IP on your SqueezeServer. It'll do the MAC thing no matter if you utilize the Gb NIC port or the WLAN USB stick port on the O2 Joggler and Openframe 1 device. It does the same with the Openframe 2 device except that has a combo blue tooth and WLAN mini PCIE card in it.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
johnnygal

Post by johnnygal »

Good that you got it going.

I do recall reading somewhere that the wireless mac address is "derived" from wired mac address as the wireless card doesn't have one. Not sure how accurate this is as I thought all network devices would have their own unique mac address.

Anyway, have fun with them.
jkn

Post by jkn »

Hi Johnny
johnnygal wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 11:48 am Good that you got it going.

I do recall reading somewhere that the wireless mac address is "derived" from wired mac address as the wireless card doesn't have one. Not sure how accurate this is as I thought all network devices would have their own unique mac address.

Well, the wifi must have a MAC address somehow as that is what the router uses for DHCP. Whether that is initially spoofed (separate from Squeezeplay) I don't know. My main puzzle is how come the MAC address reported on the LMS player tab is different from that used by the wifi connection and the router. And in any case I can't believe that 'ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff' is a properly spoofed address.

I guess I'm still expecting thisg to fall apart - I only tried it for 5mins last night. Still, it's better than I had before, I'll just have to remember not to tinker further...

Cheers
J^n
palindrom

Post by palindrom »

johnnygal wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 11:48 am Good that you got it going.

No it is the other way around. It is creating an Ethernet address with the form 02-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX from the wlan address;
It is considered a locally administered address.
Last edited by palindrom on Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
palindrom

Post by palindrom »

pete wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 11:06 pm Yeah there is a script I found buried in there that is a random number generator for a MAC address. Thinking it is in the SQP directories. So you will see one IP from the OS and another IP on your SqueezeServer. It'll do the MAC thing no matter if you utilize the Gb NIC port or the WLAN USB stick port on the O2 Joggler and Openframe 1 device. It does the same with the Openframe 2 device except that has a combo blue tooth and WLAN mini PCIE card in it.
This is how it was in the old version. Version 3.03 is using the WLAN address with the format 02-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX for Ethernet.

WLANMAC=`ifconfig -a | grep "wlan0" 2>&1 | awk -F\addr {'print $2'} | awk -F\  {'print $1'}`
ETHMAC=02"${WLANMAC: -15}"
pete

Post by pete »

Thank you palindrom.

It's been a while since I have played with it. The Jogglers running Squeezeplayer show up with custom in ROM mac addresses.

Information on all identified devices connected to Logitech Media Server

ICS-Jog-SQP-17
Player Type: squeezeplay
Player IP Address: 192.168.244.217
Player MAC Address: 00:0e:c6:20:00:17

ICS-Jog-SQP-18
Player IP Address: 192.168.244.218
Player MAC Address: 00:0e:c6:20:00:18

ICS-Jog-SQP-19
Player IP Address: 192.168.244.219
Player MAC Address: 00:0e:c6:20:00:19

The three above are all connected via WLAN and show these addresses:
wlan0
Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr c4:17:fe:06:81:b4
inet addr:192.168.244.217

I think I did remove the auto mac generator routine.

The mothership (automation) keeps tabs on a few of the always on computers and manages the touchscreens turning them off at night and on during the day dimming them and running screen savers. The Wintel ones have a remote control agent running on them. Might remotely shut off the touch screens on some as grandson was tinkering with one a couple of weeks ago and turned the AC down here to around 65 degrees F.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
goodlife

Post by goodlife »

Hi,

Just installing a fresh xubuntu image on my Joggler and finding the "Install SqueezePlay" shortcut or installing at the terminal isn't working - failing fetching the .tgz files with 301 Moved Permanently and 404 Not Found responses.
Should this still be working?

Thanks,

Rob