SqueezePlay for Joggler (Native, Ubuntu & SQPOS)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Davemurrey

Re: SqueezePlay for Joggler (Native, Ubuntu & sqpOS)

Post by Davemurrey »

roobarb! wrote:-------------------------------------------
LATEST VERSION - CHANGELOG
Version 1.57 (7.7.2-9710) - 12th May 2014
-------------------------------------------

This is the thread for SqueezePlay for Joggler from birdslikewires.co.uk

Highlights:
  • Works on both Native and Ubuntu-based operating systems.
  • Can be installed from a USB stick on the native Joggler OS (v26635).
  • Update applet for simple and quick software upgrades.
  • Settings applet for backlight level and display standby.
  • Settings applet for internal or external (USB) audio interface.
  • Fully compatible with remote control apps, eg. Squeezebox Remote.

Installation:

Native OS

Download the USB Installer and copy the contents to a FAT formatted USB stick. Connect it to a powered-off Joggler, power on and wait. You should hear two beeps and a blue SqueezePlay icon will appear on one of your launcher screens.

For full details and instructions, visit the SqueezePlay for Joggler page.

Ubuntu
Either using the Terminal app on the Joggler itself, or via SSH, issue the following commands:

Code: Select all

wget http://birdslikewires.co.uk/download/joggler/squeezeplay/sqpinstall.sh
chmod +x ./sqpinstall.sh
sudo ./sqpinstall.sh
You should find a new SqueezePlay entry under the Sound & Video menu, or under Local Applications on Joli OS.

More details on installation, removal and operation are on my SqueezePlay for Joggler page.

This has been in use by quite a lot of people for some time now, so things are pretty stable.

Hi I am looking for some help please I have downloaded squeeze play onto my joggler through usb stick and it's working.
I could not get the latest version to load but the earlier feb 2014 version is working fine.
My question is I have fitted the mod spdif coax socket output pin 48 and ground from cap and I want to output to my DAC through coax.
How do I programme my joggler to output to spdif please I'm struggling to understand how to get into the programme and change it.
WARNING I am a bit stupid and 50 when it comes to computers and programming.
It took me 3 weeks and a lot of hours to load squeeze play onto my joggler because I wasn't using win32discimager first.
I was uploading it to USB memory stick and extracting onto memory stick.
The main reason I got my joggler is because I wanted to output 24/96 or 24/192 through my DAC.
Any help PLEASE.
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

Davemurrey wrote:

Highlights:

Installation:

Native OS

Download the USB Installer and copy the contents to a FAT formatted USB stick. Connect it to a powered-off Joggler, power on and wait. You should hear two beeps and a blue SqueezePlay icon will appear on one of your launcher screens.

Ubuntu
Either using the Terminal app on the Joggler itself, or via SSH, issue the following commands:

chmod +x ./sqpinstall.sh
sudo ./sqpinstall.sh
You should find a new SqueezePlay entry under the Sound & Video menu, or under Local Applications on Joli OS.

More details on installation, removal and operation are on my SqueezePlay for Joggler page.

This has been in use by quite a lot of people for some time now, so things are pretty stable.

Hi I am looking for some help please I have downloaded squeeze play onto my joggler through usb stick and it's working.
I could not get the latest version to load but the earlier feb 2014 version is working fine.
My question is I have fitted the mod spdif coax socket output pin 48 and ground from cap and I want to output to my DAC through coax.
How do I programme my joggler to output to spdif please I'm struggling to understand how to get into the programme and change it.
It took me 3 weeks and a lot of hours to load squeeze play onto my joggler because I wasn't using win32discimager first.
The main reason I got my joggler is because I wanted to output 24/96 or 24/192 through my DAC.
Any help PLEASE.
What OS are you using.

I'm using Roobarbs SqueezePlayOS and found 2 ways to get the digital out working

Method 1. A simple change to the asound.conf file. The easiest way is to have working SSH access to the Joggler, then at the command prompt type

sudo nano /etc/asound.conf

The internal sound is card 0, device 0 and the digital out is card 0, device 1. In my case I just changed a 0 to a 1 in a couple of places in the a sound.conf file.

There is a gotcha in that on my Joggler at least the digital out is muted by default, in order to unmute issue the command alsamixer at the command line for a simple GUI to unmute

This wiki page has the details
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/Internal_SPDIF_output

And this thread was useful when I did mine

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=603

Method 2. There is an applet designed for the Squeezebox Touch called EDO, this enables the USB as a digital output and also allows higher bit rate playback on the Touch. There's a modified version on this thread http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... 0&start=60

Which I have successfully used with my modded Joggler but its a proper FAFF for no tangible benefits, for me at least.
Davemurrey

Post by Davemurrey »

Hi I am using version 7.7.2r9710 and it says Ubunta on my joggler.
I have managed to open my joggler in Putty and sudo nano /etc/ alsound.conf let's me into the programme.
I tried changing slave PCM hw from 0.0 to 0.1.
It shows card 0 but is not showing device ?
I also went into brings up a bar graph type display but it's showing me spdif off and won't let me change it ?
It's also showing GNU nano 2.2.6 .
I have tried re booting my joggler but it does not save the changes I make.
Putty on my computer is saying joggler re booting but then is saying conection terminated.
The joggler re starts but it does not conect ive checked my joggler and it's made no changes.
Am I doing something wrong, should I be doing something else in putty before I re boot my joggler.
Any help please.
Last edited by Davemurrey on Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davemurrey

Post by Davemurrey »

Davemurrey wrote:

Highlights:

Installation:

Native OS

Ubuntu

chmod +x ./sqpinstall.sh
sudo ./sqpinstall.sh

Any help PLEASE.
More help please anyone
I have managed to load squeezeplay onto my joggler and Putty onto my computer.
the Putty is now finding my joggler and connecting its also letting me open the joggler with sudo nano/etc/asound.conf
I am also able to change slave.pcm "hw:0,0" to 0,1.but my programme is showing card 0 and not showing device ?
also when I type command alsamixer it brings up a bar graph type display and lets me change all settings accept for 3rd from last spdif output,it shows a MM in the box and displays off and wont let me switch it on ?
Also I reboot my joggler and its not saving my new settings,I have tried re booting by powering off and also selecting reboot in network settings.
Any help please?
Davemurrey

Post by Davemurrey »

Hi I am still looking for help please but getting there slowly.
I have managed to change the setting in the alsamixer bar graph to spdif out by right clicking on my mouse, something so simple that took me hours to work out lol and it does seem to store this change when I reboot my joggler.
The only other problem I am having is I change the 0,0 to 0,1 slave .pcm"hw and it still does not say device anywhere and does not store the change when I reboot.
Still no sound out through spdif .
ANY HELP PLEASE ?
Davemurrey

Post by Davemurrey »

Davemurrey wrote:

Highlights:

Installation:

Native OS

Ubuntu

chmod +x ./sqpinstall.sh
sudo ./sqpinstall.sh

Any help PLEASE.
going to take a hammer to this joggler soon
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Davemurrey wrote:going to take a hammer to this joggler soon
Chill your boots!

Let's get this straight - you've got the S/PDIF output soldered up on your Joggler and you're hooked up to a S/PDIF input on some amp. I'm guessing you've got light coming out of the fibre, so you know that's working. Could you post the contents of your /etc/asound.conf file here so we can see what's going on with it?

Also handy would be the output of these commands:

cat /proc/asound/cards
cat /proc/asound/devices 
Just to see what is there.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
Davemurrey

Post by Davemurrey »

Hi sorry about my rant sat up all night trying to get it working.
I have down loaded squeezeplay onto USB stick through Birdslikewires removed my wifi card and inserted the USB in this position.
I have got squeezeplay version 7.7.2 r9710 on my joggler.
I have installed Putty on my windows 8 laptop down loaded Logitech media server and logitech control panel onto my laptop.
I open Putty on my laptop type sudo nano /etc/alsound.conf and it brings up.

PCM.! default {
            type plug
            slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

PCM.dmixer {
           type dmix
           1pc_key 1024
           slave {
                     PCM "hw:0,0"
                     Period_time 0
                     period_size 1024
                     buffer_size 4096
                     rate 44100
          }
          bindings  
                     0 0
                     1 1
         }
ctl.dmixer {
               type hw
               card 0
I have tried changing the PCM "hw : 0,0 to 0,1 rate 44100 to 192000 card to 1.
I have also tried adding device 1 at the bottom of page under card 1.
if I te in the alsamixer into Putty I get a graph type display.
On this display I changed spdif out from off to on and it's saved this setting but if I changer the speaker output to off it does not accept this when I reboot.
when I reboot my joggler it does not change the settings on my joggler it goes back to the original settings accept for it keeps spdif output on on alsamixer.
I am wondering if I am doing something wrong when I reboot my joggler.
I have tried rebooting by Quit Reboot.
settings ,Network,Aplply changes and reboot .
Powering off and on.
When I do the reboot my computer is saying ( server unexpectedly closed network connection.
On the putty it shows
The system is going down for reboot NOW!
I think I am close but I am just doing something wrong perhaps I need to type something else into putty or I am rebooting wrongly.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

As a first step, replace the contents of the /etc/asound.conf file with this:

pcm.!default {
  type plug
  slave.pcm {
    type hw
    card 0
    device 1
  }
}
ctl.!default {
  type hw
  card 0
  device 1
}
That explicitly sets the output to the second out of the internal card, which should be your S/PDIF output.

Give it a reboot and see where that leaves you.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
Davemurrey

Post by Davemurrey »

Hello roobarb and thank you for your help.
I tried deleting asound programme and pasted in place what you have sent me.
I get the same result that it goes back to original programme or as I suspect its reading from joggler but not writing back to joggler when I reboot joggler.
I tried downloading bitvise ssh and using this instead of putty but got the same results.
another thing im not sure thats correct is that if I unplug my usb stick from my joggler squeezeplay stays on there but if I switch power off/on it goes back to the original 02 software.
castalla

Post by castalla »

I suggest you install WinSCP on your PC This will let you login to the joggler - and you should get a windows explorer-like interface where there's a chance you can see what you are editing

Are you connecting to the joggler as root? If not, then trying to save is probably not working as you don't have the correct rights
themystical

Post by themystical »

Dave
It is not normally necessary to mess about with asound.conf and terminal to activate the SPDIF output and/or mute the internal speaker. In the last two Squeezeplay versions (1.56/1.57), Roobarb has included Wilberforce's Amixer applet so...
In Squeezeplay simply go to Settings, Audio Settings, Mixer Controls. Unmute IEC958 to activate the SPDIF output. Mute "Master"to mute the internal speaker.
These settings are retained on reboot.
If you haven't got the latest Squeezeplay version, head to "Updates" within the Squeezeplay menu system.
Davemurrey

Post by Davemurrey »

A big THANKYOU for your help everyone.
I changed the settings suggested by the themystical and now have digital output thank you so much.
I have got to down load some music from the Internet next and try to change the output to 24/192 .
At least I can now play music through my joggler even if it's just CDs that I have loaded onto my laptop at the moment.
Thank you again.
Davemurrey

Post by Davemurrey »

Hi I am looking for a bit more help please.
How do I change the settings to output 24/192 through sp/dif coax socket.
I have tried going int settings sudo nano /etc/ asound.conf and changing 44.100 to 192.000 but it will not hold these settings.
I have also checked in the alsamixer settings.
castalla

Post by castalla »

Are you actually saving the changes you make to asound.conf ?
Davemurrey

Post by Davemurrey »

Hi castalla thanks for your reply.
I reboot my joggler and thought this is how you save changes but I could be wrong.
castalla

Post by castalla »

Nope!

When you edit the file, then you should exit from nano by Ctrl O then Ctrl X

That means hold down Ctrl and press the alpha key

Hope this helps
Davemurrey

Post by Davemurrey »

A big thank you castella this worked first time and my DAC is showing 96k when playing a 96k download.
castalla

Post by castalla »

Bingo!
roughlychiron

Post by roughlychiron »

@Davemurrey ..... maybe a silly question but I just got a feeling you were local to me (as in NI) ... if so I may be able to assist you further if needed.