SqueezePlay for Joggler (Native, Ubuntu & SQPOS)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Avman

Re: SqueezePlay for Joggler (Standalone Native and Ubuntu)

Post by Avman »

BuZz wrote:
ubuntu from http://joggler.exotica.org.uk comes with xbmc, although i have an update pending to work around a few issues.
thanks, I have tried downloading the file 4 times each time it fails right near the end. I'm trying natty and the com version, each download is taking 2 hours (1.5mb download speed).
Any ideas or alternative servers?.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I just rebooted the server a short while back so perhaps it was that. you should be able to continue where you left off. use a download tool perhaps?

The server is on a 100mbit connection in london, and can max out my connection taking around 10 mins to download. you are saying you are getting 1.5mbit only ?
Avman

Post by Avman »

ah ok,

I will try again, yes 1.5mb if im lucky. I have had to work hard to get that as well (remove all internal lines, accelerator plate yadayada). One of the many benefits of living in the country.
Avman

Post by Avman »

BuZz wrote:I just rebooted the server a short while back so perhaps it was that. you should be able to continue where you left off. use a download tool perhaps?

The server is on a 100mbit connection in london, and can max out my connection taking around 10 mins to download. you are saying you are getting 1.5mbit only ?
of course that is only giving me a 131kb download. Its started again, let the 2.5 hour countdown begin.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Avman wrote:
BuZz wrote:I just rebooted the server a short while back so perhaps it was that. you should be able to continue where you left off. use a download tool perhaps?

of course that is only giving me a 131kb download. Its started again, let the 2.5 hour countdown begin.
Why didn't you just continue from where you left off? :)

the hosting provider has decent connectivity (Server is located in London Docklands - Telecity Sovereign House)., so I can only think the problem might be your end? which isp are you with ?
Avman

Post by Avman »

oh it is completely my end, we don't even have copper telephone wire here its string!.

anyway finally got the file and what a system, I was using a very old Linux build which really didn't work. This is fantastic thank you so much!.
where can I find more info on xbmc?. I didn't know how powerful that software was. I'm also having some issues with iplayer and linking my nas which I'm sure can be solved by some researching.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Avman wrote:oh it is completely my end, we don't even have copper telephone wire here its string!.

anyway finally got the file and what a system, I was using a very old Linux build which really didn't work. This is fantastic thank you so much!.
where can I find more info on xbmc?. I didn't know how powerful that software was. I'm also having some issues with iplayer and linking my nas which I'm sure can be solved by some researching.
just to note, i find personally. jolios works best for me, as it has a more touch friendly gui out of the box.

xbmc should work, and is installed on ubuntu. it may well complain about "non working stuff" when you run it, just cancel them and it should be fine. its worth installing the xeebo skin too. this is stuff i intend to address in an update soon.

it comes with my iplayer plugin also, and that "should" just work.

I've been a bit busy on some other projects recently so have spent less time on my joggler stuff.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Just a couple of quick notes - that applications.xml problem rears it's head from time to time (particularly for first time users), so I'll look into that again. There may be a mis-formatting of the file that causes the installation to mess up. Also, I've had no issues with that last version of SqueezePlay I compiled as a test, so I'm going to make that the default download shortly.

The 404 errors from the BBC iPlayer plugin are from the BBC end. They've been twiddling with stuff recently (everything is being centralised into the UK Radio Player, so I'm guessing it may have something to do with that). I may be wrong, but that fault is definitely not with the plugin or SqueezePlay.

And as people have pointed out, installing under Ubuntu and installing on the native OS are entirely separate. One will never interfere with the other.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
Avman

Post by Avman »

thanks,

I did get a little fed up with Ubuntu, great platform but its not designed to be a user touchpanel GUI.

Agreed the BBC issues are BBC end.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Me too, have defected to Android & the Joggler's native OS. Although it's pretty amazing what the Joggler can do with Ubuntu.
Avman

Post by Avman »

it is and it has converted me to Linux, I was talking to a tech support guy for my day job and he is running a linux server with loads of services on a a 64mb ram 10 year old machine and its running at 0.01% usage. He has givn the me ftp details for a swedish university that are developing linux platforms. Got some really amazing things but I can't post any links as I'm very sure I shouldn't even have access.
Now a linux convert, any os that can run off a 4gb memory stick is amazing.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

<EDIT - Question posted in new thread>
Last edited by offbeatdave on Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
gegs

Post by gegs »

Avman wrote:thanks,

I did get a little fed up with Ubuntu, great platform but its not designed to be a user touchpanel GUI.

Agreed the BBC issues are BBC end.
I agree about Ubuntu not being a touch friendly OS - but I use it with a bluetooth mouse and it is vastly superior to Android at the moment. I can't believe Android has so many converts just now when it has no Flash video.

Also, XBMC is fantastic on Ubuntu and if you download content to a hard drive you can take the Joggler on holiday and watch movies on it, even without an internet connection. JoliOS is also great but, like Android, is similarly tethered to the web.

Ubuntu, JoliOS, Mint and the stock OS can also output digital audio through USB. I have a Joggler playing Squeezeplay through my hi-fi via a USB soundcard with SPDIF output. I'm not about to desert a fantastic OS for an inferior, though finger-friendly one that has poor sound and no decent video.
Last edited by gegs on Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Just having a quick play with Natty - either I'd forgotten the speed or they've really juiced something up in EMGD 1.8, because many of the graphics operations (particularly scrolling complicated sites in Chrome) is absolutely brilliant.

Unity 3D still seems to have some problems - it logs in fine, but the display of the buttons and menu bar appear low-res, which is odd. Unity 2D works a treat, although the dash is massively oversized for the screen. It's easy to just not use that, though, because there's the 'frequently used' applications button which resizes perfectly and is really touchscreen-friendly.

I think I've been converted to Natty! Now I just have to settle on Ubuntu Classic or Unity 2D. :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
no1knows

Post by no1knows »

Hi roobarb!

Been using your Squeezeplay build in the bathroom for quite some time (I commented on the post on your website a while back).

I have run into an issue when using two jogglers as Squezeplay clients. Each has a different mac address according to ifconfig but Squeezebox server sees:

Player MAC Address: de:ad:be:ef:ca:fe

For both. This means that the server gets rather confused when both try to connect!

I've had a look through the various config files in /opt/squeezeplay/share/jive/jive/ (and subdirectories) but can't see an obvious place to set the mac address. I suspect you have configured it to use this mac address to avoid detection problems?

Could you please let me know where I can amend the mac address such that my Squeezebox server can differentiate between the two clients?

Cheers!
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

I'm having this issue too! I'm sure there must be a fix somehow though!
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

no1knows wrote:I have run into an issue when using two jogglers as Squezeplay clients. Each has a different mac address according to ifconfig but Squeezebox server sees:

Player MAC Address: de:ad:be:ef:ca:fe

For both. This means that the server gets rather confused when both try to connect!
Hmm.
no1knows wrote: I've had a look through the various config files in /opt/squeezeplay/share/jive/jive/ (and subdirectories) but can't see an obvious place to set the mac address. I suspect you have configured it to use this mac address to avoid detection problems?
Nope, SqueezePlay detects MAC addresses correctly - no twiddling was required.
no1knows wrote:Could you please let me know where I can amend the mac address such that my Squeezebox server can differentiate between the two clients?
I'm not sure why your system would be doing this - I take it you're running it under Ubuntu? Which version of Ubuntu would this be?

The de:ad:be:ef:ca:fe MAC address was used on some versions of Ubuntu to provide a MAC to the wired interface (which normally thieves the one for the wireless card). Which interface are you using - wired or wireless? If you do:

Code: Select all

ifconfig eth0
what do you see as the MAC?

I suspect that when SqueezePlay was installed (or perhaps even currently) that MAC address was presented as the valid one for eth0, and it took it. It will now be living in your configuration files, which are stored in /home/joggler/.squeezeplay (Ubuntu) or /.squeezeplay (Native). You could try altering them manually, but I suspect SqueezePlay will reset them when it next launches.

Ideally, check your /etc/init.d/ folder for a script called jogglermac and see if it's setting that MAC. It may have a different name depending on your Ubuntu version. Also, you could try checking in /etc/network/interfaces in case it's configured in there. Also, you may need to delete the 'net' file in /etc/udev/ to get the new MAC address to stick.

Good luck!
no1knows

Post by no1knows »

Thanks roobarb, changing the mac address in /home/joggler/.squeezeplay/userpath/settings/DesktopJive.lua to the one ifconfig spits out did the trick.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Excellent. :)
no1knows

Post by no1knows »

my mistake - Squeezeplay can no longer connect to the server after changing the mac address in the config file. Changing it back to de:ad:be:ef:ca:fe seems to fix it.

I am running Ubuntu 9.10. Full sysinfo: http://ldn.no1knows.com/joggler/index.php?disp=dynamic

Output from ifconfig:

Code: Select all

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0e:8e:24:bf:fc
          UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
          Interrupt:24 Base address:0x6000

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:3 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:3 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:136 (136.0 B)  TX bytes:136 (136.0 B)

ra0       Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0e:8e:24:bf:fc
          inet addr:192.168.1.132  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::20e:8eff:fe24:bffc/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:84476 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:21200 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:34077541 (34.0 MB)  TX bytes:2226636 (2.2 MB)
Doesn't appear to matter whether wired or wireless is used.