SqueezePlay for Joggler (Native, Ubuntu & SQPOS)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
truxntrax

Re: SqueezePlay for Joggler (Standalone Native and Ubuntu)

Post by truxntrax »

I'm using Joli OS latest version fresh build.

When I run the squeezeplay install script I get the following errors:
sqp.sh: line 167 NOU integer expression expect
sqp.sh: line 170 ror integer expression expected

the script then seems to run but doesn't install as expected.

Any ideas?

Many thanks
Vee

Post by Vee »

Roobarb!

I've been running an old version of of your SqueezePlay on four of my Jogglers for a while now with great success, after a minor accident with my daughters Joggler, I though I'd install the latest version. The network installer version no longer works, you get a SQP icon but when you touch it it just flashes and doesn't launch the app.

Further investigation leads me to believe the 'jive' executable is missing from the installer.
After reading previous posts in this thread I tried the USB installer and that worked fine!

However, I was poking around the new in-app update feature (very cool by the way!) and I noticed the "now available version" is "N.OU", which seems to tie up with the previous post...

I haven't dared try it yet, spent long enough tinkering this evening already!

Cheers,
Vee
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Both of these problems are related to Dreamhost, with whom this stuff is hosted. Their systems seem to be hosed again, which means no updates for the time being - although there is supposed to be an 'unavailable' message which obviously needs a bug or two squashing.

When they come back up, things should start working again. Second time this week this has happened, so I'm not best pleased with them. You can follow their progress here:

http://www.dreamhoststatus.com/2012/04/ ... acenter-3/

Update: Seems to be back... Let's see for how long this time!
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
Vee

Post by Vee »

Roobarb,

Not sure this is related to DreamHosts, but installing the USB version onto the last Joggler didn't work - no Logitech icon appeared.
So I expanded the tarball and tried to install it manually.
During the install this popped up --
Clearing out... done.

Decompressing... done.
tar: chdir(/media/launcher/apps): No such file or directory
./sqpinstall.sh: line 465: /media/launcher/index.cgi: not found
Not sure what the problem was, but LAL wasn't installed prior to that line, so I installed that manually, and then ran the installer again, this did the trick and SQP is now installed.

Vee

PS. Just checked and the in-app installer is now correctly saying there are no updates! Excellent.

PPS. Oops, I think I've spotted a glitch, the "Turn off Squeezebox" option (third from bottom of the the main menu screen) no longer seems to work, it just changes to a "Turn on Squeezebox" option, though the Power button on the top/left of the screen seems to work OK.
Vee

Post by Vee »

Oops, missed a PPPS off. Looking at the install stats page on your website, I'd swear that earlier it said there were 22 install checks and 5 different OS's earlier this evening, and now it says 19 and 4... not sure about the other figures. I was hoping to up your stats but seem to be doing the opposite... sorry :(
roobarb!

SqueezePlay for Joggler (Standalone Native and Ubuntu)

Post by roobarb! »

Thanks, Vee - I'll watch out for that LAL error. The 'turn off' control in the menu doesn't blank the display straight away - only the power button top-left does that. It does do what it's supposed to, though (notifies the server if present and begins the delay timer).

Don't worry about those stats - I just cleared out a few of my test entries, that's all! :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Oh, and just to clarify - the USB installer doesn't need a network connection to install. You can be completely disconnected from any network and it should still install fine.
fattybacon

Post by fattybacon »

Sorry about hijacking this thread because it's more about the logitech media server (LMS) than Squeezeplay, but since I only to the bottom of it when setting up Squeezeplay on the Joggler I thought I'd add it.

It regards lack of radio streams (a common thread topic here), either through the BBC app or Radiotime (whatever it's called now) but also will effect any AAC files you may have on your server. My LMS runs on 64-bit Ubuntu Server and the transcoding executables seem to be 32-bit.

I discovered this by logging on to my server, finding the patched faad and flac locations and typing: faad -h
(or flac -h) This shows the headers returned. On 64-bit it returns nothing but a return back to command prompt.

You have to install the ia32-libs package:

$ sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

And voila, now Squeezeplay will play everything (I think) with the server doing all the heavy lifting and Joggler SP just getting on with serving the music.
johnnygal

Post by johnnygal »

The chipmunks are back in town!

Since upgrading to V1.40 and then V1.41 I get chipmunk speech in some instances. Streaming BBC radio and podcasts is ok but I have a plugin that sends mp3 files to the current playlist, as a way of interrupting current playback to make a voice announcement. These announcements worked ok prior to V1.40, although I do know I had been tinkering with the asound.conf in previous builds to workaround audio stopping after several hours.

I have tried the original asound.conf and the "simple" one, with just :
pcm.!default {
type hw;
card 0;
}
ctl.!default {
type hw;
card 0;
}

The mp3 file as a bitrate of 32kbps, a sample rate of 22kHz and is mono.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
John
loaded

Post by loaded »

Had same problem. Changed asound.conf to:

# cat asound.conf
pcm.!default {
type plug;
slave.pcm "dmix0";
}

ctl.!default {
type hw;
card 0;
}
pcm.dsp0 {
type plug;
slave.pcm "dmix0";
}
ctl.dsp0 {
type hw;
card 0;
}
ctl.mixer0 {
type hw;
card 0;
}
pcm.dmix0 {
type dmix;
ipc_key 13759;

slave.pcm "hw:0,0";
slave.channels 2;

slave.rate 48000;
slave.period_size 4096;
slave.buffer_size 16384;

slave.period_time 84000;
slave.buffer_time 340000;

bindings.0 0;
bindings.1 1;
}
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

johnnygal wrote:The chipmunks are back in town!
Hehe, yes - they are! It was a deliberate choice, actually. The simple asound.conf file gives you chipmunks, but it never fails. There have been some reports of the asound.conf using the mixer (shown in loaded's post above) results in audio dropouts after SqueezePlay has been running for some hours.

I thought it better to go with reliability by default, because at least the chipmunk issue is instantly identifiable. I'm going to put something together to allow switching between the two configurations without having to dive into the command line.
oggie

Post by oggie »

Thanks for the latest release roobarb. I don't know exactly what you've changed, but it has fixed the problem I had with various streams crashing SqueezePlay :)

I'm also experiencing the chipmunk audio issue now though - where is the location of the asound.conf file when running SqueezePlay on Ubuntu (V11.10)?
johnnygal

Post by johnnygal »

loaded wrote:Had same problem. Changed asound.conf to:

# cat asound.conf
pcm.!default {
type plug;
slave.pcm "dmix0";
}

ctl.!default {
type hw;
card 0;
}
pcm.dsp0 {
type plug;
slave.pcm "dmix0";
}
ctl.dsp0 {
type hw;
card 0;
}
ctl.mixer0 {
type hw;
card 0;
}
pcm.dmix0 {
type dmix;
ipc_key 13759;

slave.pcm "hw:0,0";
slave.channels 2;

slave.rate 48000;
slave.period_size 4096;
slave.buffer_size 16384;

slave.period_time 84000;
slave.buffer_time 340000;

bindings.0 0;
bindings.1 1;
}
Thanks for that, except the above is how my asound.conf was as supplied by the squeezeplay update, when the chipmunks arrived. I then changed to the simple version but the chipmunks won't leave.

Roobarb - you replied that you went with the simple asound.conf for reliability yet my config after installation was the longer version.

I have tried both versions and each give the chipmunk effect, which I didn't get before the update to V1.40/V.141.

Is there anything else that may have changed?

John
johnnygal

Post by johnnygal »

eek, it's now happening on some of my podcasts. Strangely, within the same podcast feed most work but a few don't, giving the chipmunk effect. They look like they are all encoded the same (as I would imagine all episodes of a single podcast feed to be) at 64kbps CBR mp3.

It is consistent in that the same episode gives the chipmunks but selecting another brings it back to normal.

Edit:
Just checked the episodes and the ones that work ok are at 44100Hz but the troublesome ones (most of them) are at 22050Hz. Episodes that worked before (at 22050) no longer work, with either asound.conf. Will keep digging but something else must have changed.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

johnnygal wrote:Just checked the episodes and the ones that work ok are at 44100Hz but the troublesome ones (most of them) are at 22050Hz. Episodes that worked before (at 22050) no longer work, with either asound.conf. Will keep digging but something else must have changed.
Possibly a daft suggestion, but after swapping to the mixer-enabled asound.conf posted above, did you stop and restart SqueezePlay?
johnnygal

Post by johnnygal »

roobarb! wrote:
johnnygal wrote:Just checked the episodes and the ones that work ok are at 44100Hz but the troublesome ones (most of them) are at 22050Hz. Episodes that worked before (at 22050) no longer work, with either asound.conf. Will keep digging but something else must have changed.
Possibly a daft suggestion, but after swapping to the mixer-enabled asound.conf posted above, did you stop and restart SqueezePlay?
Yep, restarted the complete joggler to be sure.

Should the "small" asound.conf have been installed by the update? I had the longer asound.conf when I looked at it after I first got the chipmunks. I then changed it to the smaller one with no change.

I wonder if it's worth a complete uninstall and re-install?

Also, I take it we should still have the pulse line commented out from the alsa config file?

Thanks.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

johnnygal wrote:Should the "small" asound.conf have been installed by the update? I had the longer asound.conf when I looked at it after I first got the chipmunks. I then changed it to the smaller one with no change.

I wonder if it's worth a complete uninstall and re-install?

Also, I take it we should still have the pulse line commented out from the alsa config file?
Depending upon whether there's a backup of your original asound.conf file, the installer may or may not replace the one that's already there. If it's not the asound.conf at issue, then a reinstall won't help, I don't think. No harm trying, though.

Yes, we're having to comment out that pulse.conf line again. The patch that fixed that issue has been broken. :(
oggie

Post by oggie »

oggie wrote:I'm also experiencing the chipmunk audio issue now though - where is the location of the asound.conf file when running SqueezePlay on Ubuntu (V11.10)?
Ok I've found the asound.conf file at /etc/asound.conf.

I was sure using a previous SqueezePlay version that I needed to modify the file at /opt/squeezeplay/asound.conf?
johnnygal wrote:Also, I take it we should still have the pulse line commented out from the alsa config file?
Could anyone give details of where this config file is located?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Don't bother messing with these files yourselves now - just go and grab the new version with Settings > Update. :)

You'll find the ability to switch between mixer and direct output under Settings > Audio Settings > Interface Configuration > Software Mixer.
johnnygal

Post by johnnygal »

oggie - am away from home at the moment but from memory it is in /usr/share/alsa.

Roobarb - have i missed a trick here. Is there an asound.conf in /etc that is used instead of the one in /opt/squeezeplay.