SqueezePlay for Joggler (Native, Ubuntu & SQPOS)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
roobarb!

Re: SqueezePlay for Joggler (Standalone Native and Ubuntu)

Post by roobarb! »

Horatio wrote:I tried installing on the last Ubuntu image (1.9) and now on 1.10, and whenever I go to run it, on a completely fresh image, the resolution changes (top and bottom bar disappear anyway) and then it just remains on the desktop. Any idea whats happening?
Well, that's not right. Will test it on v1.10 tomorrow if I get chance.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Cheetah wrote:Could any please explain the premise behind SqueezePlay?
Turns your Joggler into one of these, but with a bigger screen.

More details live here: http://birdslikewires.co.uk/articles/sq ... or-joggler
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

roobarb! wrote:
Horatio wrote:I tried installing on the last Ubuntu image (1.9) and now on 1.10, and whenever I go to run it, on a completely fresh image, the resolution changes (top and bottom bar disappear anyway) and then it just remains on the desktop. Any idea whats happening?
Well, that's not right. Will test it on v1.10 tomorrow if I get chance.
This has been fixed - it was a slight error in the install script that binned some files it shouldn't have when completing.

If you use the purge option:

Code: Select all

bash ./sqp.sh purge
And then download the updated sqp.sh file and install again, it should be fine.

There's one bug I've discovered in Natty, where it won't allow you access to a password protected Squeezebox Server for some reason. Other than that, it's working.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

roobarb! wrote:There's one bug I've discovered in Natty, where it won't allow you access to a password protected Squeezebox Server for some reason. Other than that, it's working.
Ah! The result of a silly error. I mistakenly ran SqueezePlay as root, which created a settings folder the normal user couldn't write to.

Everything should be working fine now. Released as v1.26.
Horatio

Post by Horatio »

Thanks Roobarb! Purged and reinstalled and it seems to be working great. Slight curiosity fyi is that two Squeezeplay entries appear in the application list..

Re joggler as SB Touch, I think it can be a lot more powerful, as from what ive read the SBT has a cutdown server and cant connect to networked libraries (tho it does have a nice DAC). Using Buzz's excellent ubuntu I want to run SBS and squeezeplay on the joggler, have a library on my routers usb storage, pipe the output round the house, control from android phones, and have it on a timed shutdown so the whole thing turns off at night -awesome!
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Horatio wrote:Thanks Roobarb! Purged and reinstalled and it seems to be working great. Slight curiosity fyi is that two Squeezeplay entries appear in the application list..
If you look closely, one will say 'Squeezeplay' and the other will say 'SqueezePlay'. The latter is the one installed by my script, while the former is from BuZz's version that is installed on the image by default. You can delete the 'Squeezeplay' one - the installer tries to, but isn't always successful.
Horatio wrote:Re joggler as SB Touch, I think it can be a lot more powerful, as from what ive read the SBT has a cutdown server and cant connect to networked libraries (tho it does have a nice DAC). Using Buzz's excellent ubuntu I want to run SBS and squeezeplay on the joggler, have a library on my routers usb storage, pipe the output round the house, control from android phones, and have it on a timed shutdown so the whole thing turns off at night -awesome!
Fantastic - sounds like a great plan!
Horatio

Post by Horatio »

roobarb! wrote: If you look closely, one will say 'Squeezeplay' and the other will say 'SqueezePlay'. The latter is the one installed by my script, while the former is from BuZz's version that is installed on the image by default. You can delete the 'Squeezeplay' one - the installer tries to, but isn't always successful.
Aha! Thought they were different, cheers for the info.
holmes

Post by holmes »

Hi,

I 've just installed the latest Squeezeplay version (1.26) on a Ubuntu Image 1.9 system. I plugged a USB sound card wired to an Amp and disabled the internal audio system. Squeezeplay plays however through the internal speakers. With Rythmbox the sound goes to the amp.
Could someone tell me how I can solve this?

Thanks,
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

holmes wrote:I 've just installed the latest Squeezeplay version (1.26) on a Ubuntu Image 1.9 system. I plugged a USB sound card wired to an Amp and disabled the internal audio system. Squeezeplay plays however through the internal speakers. With Rythmbox the sound goes to the amp.
Could someone tell me how I can solve this?
You need to edit your /etc/asound.conf file. That's what SqueezePlay uses to decide where to output audio. In the Terminal app:

cat /proc/asound/cards
Will tell you what sound cards are available. It's likely you'll see something like this:

1 [default        ]: USB-Audio - USB Audio DAC   
                      Burr-Brown from TI               USB Audio DAC    at usb-0000:00:1d.1-2, full s
The number (in this case 1) is the number designated to that audio device. Edit /etc/asound.conf using:

sudo nano /etc/asound.conf
Until it contains only this:

pcm.!default {
  type hw
  card 1
}
ctl.!default {
  type hw
  card 1
}
Obviously, change the number 1 if that's not what your card is seen as. Restart SqueezePlay and you're away.
holmes

Post by holmes »

Many thanks, it works perfectly!
Andy Mark

Post by Andy Mark »

Hi roobarb!

Just here to say thanks for your work on Squeezeplay - and your friendly support !

Kind Regards

Andy - Denmark
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Andy Mark wrote:Just here to say thanks for your work on Squeezeplay - and your friendly support !
Cheers! 8-)
satdreamer66

Post by satdreamer66 »

Hi, I am the one who cannot install the Squeezeplay, please help.

Native OS, latest version.

Followed the SSh way, the copied and pasted everything fro mthe script - it did download and install the client but after reboot it is only black screen with the top line on.

Could restore original app icons with (no Squeezeplay though) with:
mv /media/appshop/applications.xml /media/appshop/ignoremeapplications.xml
echo -e ‘<applications>\n</applications>’ > /media/appshop/applications.xml
reboot

but whenever I redo the following:
cd /media
./sqp.sh purge native
wget http://birdslikewires.co.uk/download/jo ... lay/sqp.sh
chmod +x ./sqp.sh
./sqp.sh install native

it puts me back to square one. Black screen, every time.

I would appreciate your help guys, as you can tell I am no expert. What am I doing wrong?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

satdreamer66 wrote:Followed the SSh way, the copied and pasted everything fro mthe script - it did download and install the client but after reboot it is only black screen with the top line on.

Could restore original app icons with (no Squeezeplay though) with:

mv /media/appshop/applications.xml /media/appshop/ignoremeapplications.xml
echo -e ‘<applications>\n</applications>’ > /media/appshop/applications.xml
reboot
but whenever I redo the following:

cd /media
./sqp.sh purge native
wget http://birdslikewires.co.uk/download/joggler/squeezeplay/sqp.sh
chmod +x ./sqp.sh
./sqp.sh install native
it puts me back to square one. Black screen, every time.
First, try it this way, without specifying 'native'. It's not needed any more; shouldn't cause a problem, but just in case:

cd /media
./sqp.sh purge
wget http://birdslikewires.co.uk/download/joggler/squeezeplay/sqp.sh
chmod +x ./sqp.sh
./sqp.sh install
Do you get any errors during the install? If so, post them here. If not and you just end up with no icons again, please do this:

cat /media/appshop/applications.xml
and post the output here. That will show me what's gone wrong with the .xml file.
satdreamer66

Post by satdreamer66 »

OK, still not working. Tried without native.

Funny thing is when I have the icons and do the "./sqp.sh purge./sqp.sh purge" I am losing the icons straight away.

No error messages during Squeezeplay components download and install.

This is the output from the cat:

# cat /media/appshop/applications.xml
<app id="launcher" static="1" ext="1" standalone="1" loc="/media/launcher/apps/SqueezePlay/" icon="icon.swf" app="/media/launcher/apps/SqueezePlay/trigger.cgi"/>
</applications>
#

In /appshop there are three files: applications.xml, applications.xml_backup and ignoremeapplications.xml

Still puzzled.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

satdreamer66 wrote: # cat /media/appshop/applications.xml
<app id="launcher" static="1" ext="1" standalone="1" loc="/media/launcher/apps/SqueezePlay/" icon="icon.swf" app="/media/launcher/apps/SqueezePlay/trigger.cgi"/>
</applications>
I see the problem. For some reason the opening <applications> tag is being lost. Your applications.xml file should look, in a perfect world, like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<applications>
</applications>
The XML declaration at the start is not essential, but I bet if you replace the contents of your applications.xml file with the above, it'll work fine.

This can only be happening due to a layout issue with the original file. The install script removes the closing </applications> tag, adds it's own entry and then adds the </applications> tag back at the end. Perhaps <applications> and </applications> were ending up on the same line?

Anyway, stick <applications> as the first line and you should be sorted.
satdreamer66

Post by satdreamer66 »

Spot on mate! My little Joggler has started singing to me! :D

Thanks a lot, it was a big headache not knowing what is wrong when you follow the guides and no luck whatsoever. Even conquered the mighty vi to enter text.

Sound is bit tinny though and maybe the icon could go on the first page of the apps, or autostart the squeezeplay - onwards to new problems now!

:lol:

roobarb! wrote:
satdreamer66 wrote: # cat /media/appshop/applications.xml
</applications>
I see the problem. For some reason the opening <applications> tag is being lost. Your applications.xml file should look, in a perfect world, like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<applications>
</applications>
The XML declaration at the start is not essential, but I bet if you replace the contents of your applications.xml file with the above, it'll work fine.

This can only be happening due to a layout issue with the original file. The install script removes the closing </applications> tag, adds it's own entry and then adds the </applications> tag back at the end. Perhaps <applications> and </applications> were ending up on the same line?

Anyway, stick <applications> as the first line and you should be sorted.
gegs

Post by gegs »

satdreamer66 wrote:Sound is bit tinny though....
The Joggler speaker is the lowest point of an otherwise great device. Anyone using Squeezeplay should buy a USB soundcard and plug an external speaker into that (or connect the card to an amplifier). Just plugging a speaker into the 3.5mm port is not comparable; the volume is too low and there is rather a lot of background electronic noise. I've got two Jogglers and neither has played sound through the internal speaker for months.

I've mentioned this a lot in the forum so I won't repeat instructions again. Search for my posts or the phrase 'USB soundcard'.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

satdreamer66 wrote:Spot on mate! My little Joggler has started singing to me! :D

Thanks a lot, it was a big headache not knowing what is wrong when you follow the guides and no luck whatsoever. Even conquered the mighty vi to enter text.
Awesome. Great stuff - welcome to the world of vi! ;)
satdreamer66 wrote:Sound is bit tinny though and maybe the icon could go on the first page of the apps, or autostart the squeezeplay - onwards to new problems now!
Moving the icon is easy - touch and hold, choose 'Move' and then drag it to the left to move it to the first screen. Now that you've got the basics with vi, autostarting SqueezePlay is pretty easy too; just add:

sleep 25; /media/opt/squeezeplay/bin/squeezeplay.sh
as the last line in the /etc/init.d/rcS file. If you have any trouble with it starting, increase the '25' to something a little higher - it specifies the number of seconds delay while the Joggler sorts itself out and plays the O2 animation. If you fire up SqueezePlay before the main UI appears, it won't work properly.

If you do add a USB sound card, there are plenty of instructions for that earlier in this thread.
satdreamer66

Post by satdreamer66 »

Thanks mate, icon, autostart sorted, soundcard is in the mail. It will be a nice addition to my Squeezebox family.

Cheers.
roobarb! wrote:
satdreamer66 wrote:Spot on mate! My little Joggler has started singing to me! :D

Awesome. Great stuff - welcome to the world of vi! ;)
satdreamer66 wrote:Sound is bit tinny though and maybe the icon could go on the first page of the apps, or autostart the squeezeplay - onwards to new problems now!
Moving the icon is easy - touch and hold, choose 'Move' and then drag it to the left to move it to the first screen. Now that you've got the basics with vi, autostarting SqueezePlay is pretty easy too; just add:

sleep 25; /media/opt/squeezeplay/bin/squeezeplay.sh
as the last line in the /etc/init.d/rcS file. If you have any trouble with it starting, increase the '25' to something a little higher - it specifies the number of seconds delay while the Joggler sorts itself out and plays the O2 animation. If you fire up SqueezePlay before the main UI appears, it won't work properly.

If you do add a USB sound card, there are plenty of instructions for that earlier in this thread.