SqueezePlay for Joggler (Native, Ubuntu & SQPOS)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
cszhy

Re: SqueezePlay for Joggler (Standalone Native and Ubuntu)

Post by cszhy »

mrw wrote:
cszhy wrote:is there any proxy I can set in joggler? can I use ipv6 to access?
You can tell the Squeezebox server to use a proxy in Server Settings|Advanced|Network.

I've no idea about ipv6.
thanks, I will try ,
cszhy

Post by cszhy »

mrw wrote:
cszhy wrote:seems not only me experiencing this weired blocking, anyone can help? really appreciated

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=94361
That thread seems to indicate that the problem lies with the stream URLs rturned by TuneIn Radio. The Squeezebox Internet Radio menus are driven by TuneIn Radio.

[/code]
now I know why,
Chinese goverment just blocked tunein radio, since The Squeezebox Internet Radio menus are driven by TuneIn Radio,it also be blocked,
anything I can do except proxy?
mrw

Post by mrw »

cszhy wrote:anything I can do except proxy?
Well, you can hope that the Chinese government, or an over-zealous clerk in the Department of Internet Affairs, comes to see the error of their ways. In the meantime I think you may need to rely on local knowledge to steer you through. I have no idea how pervasive the blocking mechanisms are. Perhaps the Chinese government and TuneIn radio will come to an 'arrangement' that restores some form of service.

I have no experience of proxies to offer. You probably have a rather large firewall to contend with.

If you can find, from other sources, 'direct' URLs for the streams that you wish to play, you could add them to your 'Favorites'. You can then access those 'Favorites' from the main screen of the player. It doesn't help you search for them but, once found, it's a good way to save them for future use.

One way to do that is to enter a URL into the 'Tune In URL' menu item on the server's web interface (in the Internet Radio menu) and start to play the stream. With the stream playing, you can take a 'Save to Favorites' option. This can be accessed from the player's 'Now Playing' window by pressing the 'Now Playing' title bar to bring up an options menu. 'Favorites' can also be managed through the server's web interface.

I imagine that it is quite easy to block all access to 'tuneinradio.com'. So all of those iPhones and Androids that rely on it are cut off at a stroke. Easy win ! But it may not be so easy, or practical, to disrupt access to all of the thousands of individual radio stream sources. I'll bet that you won't be able to play a BBC stream however you try, but perhaps you can play other international streams that don't fall onto a Chinese government 'unwelcome foreign broadcasters' list.

Possibly there is a viable alternative to TuneIn radio that is locally available. If so, someone might be able to make a Squeezebox server 'plugin' that accessed it.

Good luck !
cszhy

Post by cszhy »

mrw wrote:
cszhy wrote:anything I can do except proxy?
Well, you can hope that the Chinese government, or an over-zealous clerk in the Department of Internet Affairs, comes to see the error of their ways. In the meantime I think you may need to rely on local knowledge to steer you through. I have no idea how pervasive the blocking mechanisms are. Perhaps the Chinese government and TuneIn radio will come to an 'arrangement' that restores some form of service.

I have no experience of proxies to offer. You probably have a rather large firewall to contend with.

If you can find, from other sources, 'direct' URLs for the streams that you wish to play, you could add them to your 'Favorites'. You can then access those 'Favorites' from the main screen of the player. It doesn't help you search for them but, once found, it's a good way to save them for future use.

One way to do that is to enter a URL into the 'Tune In URL' menu item on the server's web interface (in the Internet Radio menu) and start to play the stream. With the stream playing, you can take a 'Save to Favorites' option. This can be accessed from the player's 'Now Playing' window by pressing the 'Now Playing' title bar to bring up an options menu. 'Favorites' can also be managed through the server's web interface.

I imagine that it is quite easy to block all access to 'tuneinradio.com'. So all of those iPhones and Androids that rely on it are cut off at a stroke. Easy win ! But it may not be so easy, or practical, to disrupt access to all of the thousands of individual radio stream sources. I'll bet that you won't be able to play a BBC stream however you try, but perhaps you can play other international streams that don't fall onto a Chinese government 'unwelcome foreign broadcasters' list.

Possibly there is a viable alternative to TuneIn radio that is locally available. If so, someone might be able to make a Squeezebox server 'plugin' that accessed it.

Good luck !
thanks buddy :)
someone contacted TuneIn support and asked what's up with their service in China - their response as following:

We are complying with Chinese government regulations to remove aspects of our service in China. We apologize for any inconvenience or disruption this is causing you.

so it seems tunein removed their service in China
can I still add direct steaming url in squeezebox server?
mrw

Post by mrw »

cszhy wrote:so it seems tunein removed their service in China
can I still add direct steaming url in squeezebox server?
Sounds like they have already made an 'arrangement'. Perhaps the list of available stations will increase as and when they become white-listed.

'Favorites' has nothing to do with TuneIn Radio, or the Internet Radio menu. So the answer is 'yes', if I am understanding your question correctly. Of course, that presupposes that any direct streaming URL you find isn't also blocked...
cszhy

Post by cszhy »

now I use shoutcast app as replacement, it works pretty well
thanks for the help
Xeijin

Post by Xeijin »

Just wanted to say thanks alot for bringing such a polished squeezebox experience to the Joggler. Messed about with Android for ages trying to setup Internet Radio, had no idea til I tried it by off-chance that Squeezebox had it too! Has so far been rock solid and the interface is much more responsive than Android was.
gurney

Post by gurney »

mikeyg wrote:Just got squeezeplay working and I love it. Especially with the image viewer plugin configured to a directory mapped directly to my nas.

One thing I would pay for however is to be able to background squeezeplay. i.e. instead of exiting just bring tango back to the forground so I can open opera and browse the web, play games, whatever while the music keeps on playing.
Alternatively - Add a launcher menu to squeezeplay. Then boot directly into squeezeplay and not use tango at all.
+1 for Squeezeplay to play in the background or other workaround!
Can I ask how you mapped the image viewer to your NAS? I'm struggling to get mine to see other network devices.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

oggie wrote:Ok, I've just tried playing the following stream...

Title: talkSPORT
URL: http://opml.radiotime.com/Tune.ashx?id= ... ff5fb39cce

and SqueezePlay completely crashed. The log file (/var/log/squeezeplay.log) is here:

Code: Select all

Squeezeplay 7.7.2 r1821:9626MS
ALSA lib conf.c:3312:(snd_config_hooks_call) Cannot open shared library libasound_module_conf_pulse.so
ALSA lib pcm.c:2212:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
Is anyone else running SqueezePlay on Ubuntu able to playback this stream?
I've been doing a little work on SqueezePlay recently and I've spotted that there's a definite problem under Ubuntu.

The issue is highlighted in this line:

Code: Select all

ALSA lib conf.c:3312:(snd_config_hooks_call) Cannot open shared library libasound_module_conf_pulse.so
Tried this with 11.04 and 11.10; both versions gave me the same error. Unfortunately, it's seems we're not the only ones. I'm now going to test with Joli OS to see if it's an issue with later Ubuntu versions or something in the compilation that I'm going to need to worry about.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

gurney wrote:+1 for Squeezeplay to play in the background or other workaround!
There's a reason this is tricky. I'll explain when I get some time, but suffice it to say that I probably won't be coming up with a backgrounding version of SqueezePlay in the near future.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

roobarb! wrote:I'm now going to test with Joli OS to see if it's an issue with later Ubuntu versions or something in the compilation that I'm going to need to worry about.
Okay, this is weird. Went back to an earlier version which I have running on Joli OS on another Joggler right now and it doesn't work on the latest Joli OS download. Same version works perfectly under the native OS. Same error regarding libasound_module_conf_pulse.so.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

roobarb! wrote:
roobarb! wrote:I'm now going to test with Joli OS to see if it's an issue with later Ubuntu versions or something in the compilation that I'm going to need to worry about.
Okay, this is weird. Went back to an earlier version which I have running on Joli OS on another Joggler right now and it doesn't work on the latest Joli OS download. Same version works perfectly under the native OS. Same error regarding libasound_module_conf_pulse.so.
Haha! What a fool I am. Completely forgot to tweak the /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf file and comment out the line near the top that refers to pulse.conf. PulseAudio breaks SqueezePlay!
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I thought that line no longer needed to be commented out ? I think you said that previously, so I may well have stopped making that change on my images
roobarb!

SqueezePlay for Joggler (Standalone Native and Ubuntu)

Post by roobarb! »

BuZz wrote:I thought that line no longer needed to be commented out ? I think you said that previously, so I may well have stopped making that change on my images
I'll check on my one downstairs - there was a patch that was supposed to fall back automatically when pulse audio problems arose, but it made no difference in this case.
roobarb!

SqueezePlay for Joggler (Standalone Native and Ubuntu)

Post by roobarb! »

roobarb! wrote:
BuZz wrote:I thought that line no longer needed to be commented out ? I think you said that previously, so I may well have stopped making that change on my images
I'll check on my one downstairs - there was a patch that was supposed to fall back automatically when pulse audio problems arose, but it made no difference in this case.
Yup, you're right - that did get fixed, but seems to have gone wrong again. I'll check out the patch and see what's goin on.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

roobarb! wrote:Yup, you're right - that did get fixed, but seems to have gone wrong again. I'll check out the patch and see what's goin on.
This is odd. Using an older version of SqueezePlay (7.7.1-9651) which works on my Joggler that had Joli OS installed on it quite some time ago, everything is fine. The same version on a freshly downloaded Joli OS on a different Joggler; no audio.

I'm going to tweak the installer script to just comment out that line again for the time being, at least until I can figure out the cause.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

the newer jolios has a newer set of alsa drivers. perhaps somehow related to that, but I wouldnt like to guess.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

There's a new version of SqueezePlay available! We're up to v1.40.

There are quite a few changes in this release, not least the new installer script, new Update applet, new binaries, new USB installer for the Native OS... Probably best to just check the Changelog. :)

The SqueezePlay article on my website has been updated with new instructions, so take a look!
gegs

Post by gegs »

Do I need to uninstall the old version of Squeezeplay before running the USB installer?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

gegs wrote:Do I need to uninstall the old version of Squeezeplay before running the USB installer?
Nope, the new installer doesn't mind if there's a version already there. It will also try to retain your settings. :)