SqueezePlay for Joggler (Native, Ubuntu & SQPOS)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
mrp

Re: SqueezePlay for Joggler (Standalone Native and Ubuntu)

Post by mrp »

Thaks roobarb! for the instructions! I removed Squeezeplay from Jolios (and linux mint 10) and installed squeezeplay using your instructions. Now I have sound with Spotify streams. Earlier I got no sound, except with the PnP original software Squeezeplay
eduponesarris

Post by eduponesarris »

I have managed to get Squeezeplay running fine, and am trying to load the squeezebox server so I can put some tunes onto a Compact flash (is wired in to the internal USB vis a USB/SDCard reader and more or less flush with the case)

Squeezebox server is running on the PC and Squeezeplay picks it up OK over ethernet (presume wifi will be fine as well)

I have just installed Squeezebox server from the gforums webpage method, and it is telling me install was OK. I cannot however, get into squeezebox via the web interface, and cannot see any other method of doing it. There are a lot of articles on the subject spread over several forums, but there doesn't seem to be a definitive way of getting player and server to run with the SD card forming one music library which it will default to if the main squeezebox server is not running. Other posts refer to putting in a time delay into the init file to allow the USB library to be recognised.

Any kind person please point to be a Squeezebox on Jogglers for Dummies type publication please?
I have tried using the chown -R squeezeboxserver:squeezeboxserver /media/gforums/apps/squeezeboxserver-7.6.0-31297 command via telnet and SSH, and the command seems to go in OK, but with no discernible effect. And combinations of http://192.168.1.65:9000, http://192.168.1.65:9000! are not working at all

Thanks

J
eduponesarris

Post by eduponesarris »

Just tried safari as well in case it is a Windows 7 issue... Safari delivers the message below.

Safari can’t open the page “http://192.168.1.65:9000/” because Safari can’t connect to the server “192.168.1.65”.

Explorer 9 gives the error after using the diagnose option...

The remote device or resource won't accept the connection
Jarv_77

Post by Jarv_77 »

eduponesarris wrote: Other posts refer to putting in a time delay into the init file to allow the USB library to be recognised.

Hi, hopefully not stepping on roobarbs toes here as this is a thread for his versions but...

I was the one asking about the time delay, with help from others it was established that when booting, the joggler wasn't mounting the usb drives in time for the squeezeserver to be able to see them as it started up in the background. That's one issue related to restarting up the joggler and it remembering the library.

I haven't heard of anyone trying to use a local library drive and remote streaming together so not sure if there are settings to achieve that anywhere? Or if it can work?

Regarding remote access to the server are you sure it installed ok, there were issues with it needing to be installed before or after the player and then needing reboots to work. Several people went back to basics and reinstalled to get it to work.

Lastly are you sure the ip address is correct?

Prob not much help..
eduponesarris

Post by eduponesarris »

IP address is standard, and used by the PNP webserver, which works fine on the normal access but doesn't work on the squeezebox setting with the 9000 port adress added. Maybe it's a Windows 7 thing, or Norton blocking it?

The other thing I was thinking is that I tried to install the Gforum squeezeplayer and it wiped the Joggler, had to do a full reimage, so I have Roobarbs Squeezeplayer installed which as I say is working finr. Maybe Roobarbs Squuezeplayer and Gforum Squeezebox server are not compatible.
eduponesarris

Post by eduponesarris »

The plot thickens....

I installed Squeezebox server using the instructions on the web page below.
http://longpress.org/2010/11/05/squeeze ... -a-budget/

One issue with Win 7 automatically changing the file from .tgz to .gz so it wouldnt upload the tarball, but got round that by using firefox to save it. I was already in at this point using the web interface, then went to the start server option, and it came up with an error. I now can't get back into the web browser for SB Server, and although I guess Squeezebox is installed it is still locked out.

J
eduponesarris

Post by eduponesarris »

Decided to bite the bullet and reflash the joggler using roobarbs method, one quirk with Explorer 9 is that it modifies the tgz file which is why I couldn't reflash previously. Aware of that now and following the forum instructions to re-boot. Will then have a go at perl/squeezeplayer/squeezebox in that order..

J
Last edited by eduponesarris on Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Midnight Tbot

Post by Midnight Tbot »

Hi all,

new to the forum.

Firstly, I bought my Joggler back in the £50 deal when it first started, and with PMJ, but to be honest had left it in ages and just used as an clock more or less as the apps needed to mature a bit.

PMJ had been set to block updates - and each time rebooted the joggler it would find but fail to download an official update......so I used the links on this forum to flash it back to a stock image, and then installed PnP. Since then, I have also installed some of the apps from PnP, the newer iPlayer on this forum, and this version of SqueezePlay after removing the one off PnP to see if it resolves the problem.

Firstly it is great, squeezeplay is fantastic with its options etc compared to what used to have....however my problem (which have seen some mention, but no solution given per se)

A good chunk of streams on SqueezePlay are playing way too fast, the old chipmunk noises. These are streams direct from the Internet Radio option, and also when trying to use Live365 etc streams.

I can often find streams that work, but typically, the ones I want to listen to are sped up.

It did it with the PnP version of SqueezePlay on, so hoped it would've been fixed but sadly not. I also then tried removing the "updated drivers" that PnP allows you to install just in case.

My conf file is
pcm.!default {
type hw
card 0
}
ctl.!default {
type hw
card 0
And use the internal speakers for now so don't think that is the issue.

I'm presuming its to do with the various different bitrates that different streams can use, or whether 8bit,16bit etc.

Any ideas how I can fix this, or is it a known issue that theres still a lot of tweeks for SqueezePlay to sort out?
buckeroo987

Post by buckeroo987 »

Hi there, thanks for your work on SqueezePlay - it is excellent!

I have one slight problem with it in that I can't get the screensaver function to work at all - no matter what settings I use the screen just goes blank. I can't see anything obvious that I've overlooked.

I am running it on native OS and the only things I've done are the SSH and Squeezeplay installations per instructions. Does anyone have any suggestions? Many thanks in advance.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Midnight Tbot wrote:I can often find streams that work, but typically, the ones I want to listen to are sped up.
Yes, I've experienced this too, and it is to do with the asound.conf configuration. Basically, the file was massively simplified to prevent an audio drop-out problem that occurred when SqueezePlay had been running for >5 hours.

I've just been taking another look at this - I really don't know much about the asound and OSS systems used in Linux, but there's a simplified mixer config file on the 'net which I have cut-and-pasted onto my Joggler. Chipmunk audio is gone, but it may well recreated the original error of vanishing audio (which is useless if you're using SqueezePlay as an alarm).

I'm going to test this on my Joggler running the O2 software overnight, but if you'd like to try it yourself now go to:

http://www.sabi.co.uk/Notes/linuxSoundALSA.html

and scroll down until you find 'Simple output only sharing example'. Put that config into asound.conf and see where it gets you.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Jarv_77 wrote:
eduponesarris wrote: Other posts refer to putting in a time delay into the init file to allow the USB library to be recognised.
Hi, hopefully not stepping on roobarbs toes here as this is a thread for his versions but...
No problem for my toes, but you might get more interest if this is spun out into it's own thread... :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

roobarb! wrote:I've just been taking another look at this - I really don't know much about the asound and OSS systems used in Linux, but there's a simplified mixer config file on the 'net which I have cut-and-pasted onto my Joggler. Chipmunk audio is gone, but it may well recreated the original error of vanishing audio (which is useless if you're using SqueezePlay as an alarm).
As I feared, the vanishing audio bug returns when using a mixer in the asound.conf settings. Trying a few different values, but for obvious reasons testing this takes a considerable amount of time...
Midnight Tbot

Post by Midnight Tbot »

roobarb! wrote:
roobarb! wrote:I've just been taking another look at this - I really don't know much about the asound and OSS systems used in Linux, but there's a simplified mixer config file on the 'net which I have cut-and-pasted onto my Joggler. Chipmunk audio is gone, but it may well recreated the original error of vanishing audio (which is useless if you're using SqueezePlay as an alarm).
As I feared, the vanishing audio bug returns when using a mixer in the asound.conf settings. Trying a few different values, but for obvious reasons testing this takes a considerable amount of time...

dammit.

Hope it can be sorted out once and for all.

Sods law, most of the stations I like to play are in chipmunk mode.
florca

Post by florca »

One thing which may be worth trying is to add a "rate" statement to your asound.conf definition - I think that this will force the Joggler to resample non-default rates, which isn't ideal, but resolved problems I had playing 48kHz sources. My asound.conf is as follows:

# cat /etc/asound.conf
pcm.!default {
type hw
rate 44100
card 1
}
ctl.!default {
type hw
card 1
}#

Best of all is that this doesn't cause the "audio dropout" problem to return, at least on my system...

Brgds

Phil
JonTheNiceGuy

Post by JonTheNiceGuy »

Hi,

I'm loving SqueezePlay for the Native UI (I have three O2 Jogglers all running it around the house), but I'm having a few issues, and I wonder if anyone can help?

1) All of the devices appear to crash the UI occasionally. The music is still playing in the background and pressing the SqueezePlay icon on the Joggler menu once does nothing. Pressing it again (sometimes needing two or three presses more) will eventually bring up the splash screen. I'm using the Image Viewer screen saver, pulling a dynamically generated picture from the same server as the SqueezeBox server. I don't know whether this is causing this... but if there's something I can do to turn on logging in a method that can help diagnose what's causing the crash, please let me know.

2) One of the boxes has a problem with the backlight where it keeps going to the minimum value. Even setting it to "Auto" or "100%" still ends up with it turning the backlight right down. Another box keeps turning the backlight right up to 100%. Going into the SqueezePlay backlight settings shows they're set at the values I'd previously defined. The third box is always as I'd left it. They all have the same firmware image and SqueezePlay version.

Thanks in advance!
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

florca wrote:One thing which may be worth trying is to add a "rate" statement to your asound.conf definition...
I gave this a try, but it didn't seem to help with the chipmunk effect on some of the radio stations. Might be worth including in an update if you find it helps with some of them, though.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

JonTheNiceGuy wrote:1) All of the devices appear to crash the UI occasionally. The music is still playing in the background and pressing the SqueezePlay icon on the Joggler menu once does nothing. Pressing it again (sometimes needing two or three presses more) will eventually bring up the splash screen. I'm using the Image Viewer screen saver, pulling a dynamically generated picture from the same server as the SqueezeBox server. I don't know whether this is causing this... but if there's something I can do to turn on logging in a method that can help diagnose what's causing the crash, please let me know.
Yes, I have known this happen occasionally. Unfortunately, SqueezePlay v7.6 is still beta software, so it will have bugs still lurking in there somewhere. I don't have time to venture into the depths of the software to try to find them, but it was suggested that a watchdog service be created that would restart SqueezePlay in those instances (especially handy for those who use it as an alarm). It's a workaround, but I think I will add it when I get around to another update.
JonTheNiceGuy wrote:2) One of the boxes has a problem with the backlight where it keeps going to the minimum value. Even setting it to "Auto" or "100%" still ends up with it turning the backlight right down. Another box keeps turning the backlight right up to 100%. Going into the SqueezePlay backlight settings shows they're set at the values I'd previously defined. The third box is always as I'd left it. They all have the same firmware image and SqueezePlay version.
Interesting! Do the two boxes with the backlight issues start up with the O2 logo or the OpenPeak logo? Do they behave properly using the backlight control on the Joggler OS?
JonTheNiceGuy

Post by JonTheNiceGuy »

JonTheNiceGuy wrote:1) All of the devices appear to crash the UI occasionally. The music is still playing in the background and pressing the SqueezePlay icon on the Joggler menu once does nothing. Pressing it again (sometimes needing two or three presses more) will eventually bring up the splash screen. I'm using the Image Viewer screen saver, pulling a dynamically generated picture from the same server as the SqueezeBox server. I don't know whether this is causing this... but if there's something I can do to turn on logging in a method that can help diagnose what's causing the crash, please let me know.
roobarb! wrote:Yes, I have known this happen occasionally. Unfortunately, SqueezePlay v7.6 is still beta software, so it will have bugs still lurking in there somewhere. I don't have time to venture into the depths of the software to try to find them, but it was suggested that a watchdog service be created that would restart SqueezePlay in those instances (especially handy for those who use it as an alarm). It's a workaround, but I think I will add it when I get around to another update.
No worries, I just wanted to bring it to someone's attention, and offer to help where I could. Please feel free to get in touch directly with me (jon@sprig.gs) if you need any logs.
JonTheNiceGuy wrote:2) One of the boxes has a problem with the backlight where it keeps going to the minimum value. Even setting it to "Auto" or "100%" still ends up with it turning the backlight right down. Another box keeps turning the backlight right up to 100%. Going into the SqueezePlay backlight settings shows they're set at the values I'd previously defined. The third box is always as I'd left it. They all have the same firmware image and SqueezePlay version.
roobarb! wrote:Interesting! Do the two boxes with the backlight issues start up with the O2 logo or the OpenPeak logo? Do they behave properly using the backlight control on the Joggler OS?
The dark one comes up with the O2 logo. The light one comes up with OpenPeak. The one which doesn't have any issues comes up with the OpenPeak logo. The backlight control with the Joggler OS is fine on the dark one. I bought the other two specifically to run the Squeezeplay software, so I've not really left them to run in the native UI... I'll try that asap... but it might be a few days before I can confirm that specifically.
Winterhasarrived

Post by Winterhasarrived »

Hi, I was trying to run my server form an old linkstation 320gb device - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Buffalo-LinkSta ... B000N98FQY

I've got the server up and running fine but you can only install an old version of squeezebox server because of hardware limitations I think.
Squeezeplay for the joggler doesn't recognise that version unfortunately.

as anyone had any joy with one of these devices?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Winterhasarrived wrote:Hi, I was trying to run my server form an old linkstation 320gb device
You might be better spinning this out into it's own thread. Unfortunately I don't have any experience to help you on that one!