SqueezePlay for Joggler (Native, Ubuntu & SQPOS)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
roobarb!

Re: SqueezePlay for Joggler (Standalone Native and Ubuntu)

Post by roobarb! »

trickydickie wrote:Thanks for the reply Roobarb. I'm on Native OS.

I have to confess that I've been a real Dime Bar ! The timezone was indeed set incorrectly on Squeezenetwork ! :oops:
Thanks for the report back! :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
holmes

Post by holmes »

Hi,

I have a weird problem with Squeezeplay (Ubuntu 10.10 image with preinstalled Squeezeplay). Most of the time, internet radio is not in the menu. It appears sometimes so that I was able to place some radios into my favorites. When the radio menu is not present, I still can access the favorites radios. Is there a solution for this ?

Thanks
wywywywy

Post by wywywywy »

I've got an internet radio problem possibly related to the above.

Basically, the sound is sped up - Chris Moyles and the crew speaks in a weird sped up voice, and after every minute or so it would pause and say buffering for a few seconds then carry on with the sped up voices. It is fine using Tarkan's build. Normal music listening is fine too.

Thanks. Great work by the way, I have no problems at all with ALSA using yours :)

P.S. O2 firmware with the latest standalone native build.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

holmes wrote:I have a weird problem with Squeezeplay (Ubuntu 10.10 image with preinstalled Squeezeplay).
I'm afraid I can only really comment on the version I have released - BuZz's preinstalled version has some differences to mine.

I would recommend installing my version (see the start of this thread) which will automatically remove BuZz's packaged version. I'm hoping to collaborate in the future with having my version preinstalled on the images instead - that way there will be one version (more or less) running on all Jogglers.*

*The version from gforums PnP script is based on mine, but installed slightly differently, so that's always going to be a little different.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

wywywywy wrote:Basically, the sound is sped up - Chris Moyles and the crew speaks in a weird sped up voice, and after every minute or so it would pause and say buffering for a few seconds then carry on with the sped up voices. It is fine using Tarkan's build. Normal music listening is fine too.

Thanks. Great work by the way, I have no problems at all with ALSA using yours :)

Are you using an external audio interface or a modified /etc/alsa.conf file? Also, are you connected to mysqueezebox.com or a Squeezebox Server running somewhere on your network? If it's the latter, there might be an issue on SBS.
wywywywy

Post by wywywywy »

roobarb! wrote:
wywywywy wrote:Basically, the sound is sped up - Chris Moyles and the crew speaks in a weird sped up voice, and after every minute or so it would pause and say buffering for a few seconds then carry on with the sped up voices. It is fine using Tarkan's build. Normal music listening is fine too.

Are you using an external audio interface or a modified /etc/alsa.conf file? Also, are you connected to mysqueezebox.com or a Squeezebox Server running somewhere on your network? If it's the latter, there might be an issue on SBS.
I am using an external audio interface.
I have not modified the alsa.conf, unless the previous owner has... which I wouldn't think so.
I am connected with a SB Server on the network, but I thought internet radio doesn't go through the server anyway?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

wywywywy wrote:I am using an external audio interface.
I have not modified the alsa.conf, unless the previous owner has... which I wouldn't think so.
I am connected with a SB Server on the network, but I thought internet radio doesn't go through the server anyway?
Hmm, could you run this:

Code: Select all

cat /etc/asound.conf
and post the output here? So far as I know you would need to have edited /etc/asound.conf in order to make the external interface work.
wywywywy

Post by wywywywy »

Actually, by "external audio interface", what exactly do you mean?

Code: Select all

pcm.!default {
  type hw
  card 0
}
ctl.!default {
  type hw
  card 0
}
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

wywywywy wrote:Actually, by "external audio interface", what exactly do you mean?
Your /etc/asound.conf file is right - that's how it should look after my installer has run.

By external audio interface I mean a USB-connected audio device. If you're running speakers from the 3.5mm socket, you're using the internal system - which you must be with that asound.conf file or you'd not be hearing anything!

So, your Joggler configuration is right. Are you using the BBC iPlayer plugin for Squeezebox Server? That's what I use and it's fine.
wywywywy

Post by wywywywy »

Sorry in that case it is INTERNAL for me then.

I just use the Internet Radio option from the main menu.
wywywywy

Post by wywywywy »

The BBC app works fine.
So let's consider this closed.
Many thanks for your help.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

wywywywy wrote:The BBC app works fine.
So let's consider this closed.
Many thanks for your help.
Good stuff - glad it's working for you.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

New version released!

Quite a few tweaks, including proper linking to mysqueezebox.com accounts on initial installation and automated backlight control using the Joggler's in-built light sensor.

Note: This version includes changes to the way the audio system works, in theory to prevent problems with PulseAudio on Ubuntu. Please let me know if you have any audio issues, particularly a recurrence of the 'disappearing audio bug' (where systems would stop playing back audio when left idle for 5-6 hours).

Also note: You don't need to specify 'ubuntu' or 'native' when installing now. It's finally auto-detected.

Enjoy!
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Turns out that the disappearing audio problem is still present even with the patches, so I've re-enabled the asound.conf patching bit in the installation script.
fraserm

Post by fraserm »

Thanks for the continued updates Roobarb, lts really appreciated.

I have two Jogglers running this version, and on both, the Settings->Home Menu configuration doesnt work. All I get is 3 options (Help ; Restore Defaults ; Restore Hidden Menu items). On other (non Joggler) devices I own I get the whole list of items I can toggle on/off.

Does this happen on other people's installs?

Thanks!
Fraser
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

I think this is intended in SqueezePlay - I remember reading something about those options being moved to the context menus for each individual item. If there's something you want on the home screen, just press and hold on that item and a menu should appear with the appropriate option.

Remember though, that SqueezePlay 7.6 is still in beta from Logitech, so until there's a stable release there's always going to be a few rough edges. :)
fraserm

Post by fraserm »

Ah yes, I didnt even realise you could press 'n hold on menu items, nice! The Move Up functionality doesnt work very well, but at least I can get the items on Home once more. Thanks for the info !
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Yes, it is a bit clunky shuffling the contents of the home screen around. Press-hold-drag would be much better, but at least it works.
Horatio

Post by Horatio »

Hi, having a bit of trouble getting the latest version to work.

I tried installing on the last Ubuntu image (1.9) and now on 1.10, and whenever I go to run it, on a completely fresh image, the resolution changes (top and bottom bar disappear anyway) and then it just remains on the desktop. Any idea whats happening?

Thanks.
Cheetah

Post by Cheetah »

Hi,

Could any please explain the premise behind SqueezePlay? I am looking for some more interesting things to do with my Joggler. I have the base Ubuntu install from Buzz installed.

It looks to be linked with the Logitech SqueezeBox (from Googling), is that correct?

Is it some sort of media server? Or is the idea that there exists a server and the Joggler is the client?

Looking at the interface it looks quite nice...is it possible to run the Joggler as just a client without a server with local music?

Thanks.