SqueezePlay for Joggler (Native, Ubuntu & SQPOS)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
cszhy

Re: SqueezePlay for Joggler (Native, Ubuntu & sqpOS)

Post by cszhy »

roobarb! wrote:
cszhy wrote:Hello roobarb!
currently I 'm using squeeze play from OpenPeak Firmware v30300

there is problem when the app connecting to mysqueezebox.com,
I can ping through that address, just wondering why I can't connect to mysqueezebox.com
any idea? thanks
It's been iffy for me too, recently - can only assume problems at the Logitech end, I'm afraid.
does that mean some kind of official restriction from Logitech which can only be solved on official squeezebox products?
hope to find a way to fix it on joggler
thanks
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

cszhy wrote:
roobarb! wrote:
cszhy wrote:Hello roobarb!
currently I 'm using squeeze play from OpenPeak Firmware v30300

there is problem when the app connecting to mysqueezebox.com,
I can ping through that address, just wondering why I can't connect to mysqueezebox.com
any idea? thanks
It's been iffy for me too, recently - can only assume problems at the Logitech end, I'm afraid.
does that mean some kind of official restriction from Logitech which can only be solved on official squeezebox products?
hope to find a way to fix it on joggler
thanks
No, I believe there have been some general issues with their services. There's nothing they'd be doing to actively block SqueezePlay - it's their own app after all!
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
cszhy

Post by cszhy »

No, I believe there have been some general issues with their services. There's nothing they'd be doing to actively block SqueezePlay - it's their own app after all![/quote]

then not only us met this, there might be much people met the same problem, what can we do now?
cszhy

Post by cszhy »

now i am using the squeezeplay in pnp3,
its better.but still lost connection of some station used to work.
it told me can not resolving the ip address of radionomy.
i also cant find the station in shoutcast such as radio mozart and some other classical stations used to work.
cszhy

Post by cszhy »

can i replace the hosts file of that? or try a remote dns?
anyone can help? thanks
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

You can certainly try, buy I don't think it will make any difference. It sounds like the services you are trying to use are no longer available for some reason. I'm no longer near a Joggler for the time being, but from what you describe I'm not sure it's something that can be fixed from your end.

It may be worth checking the SlimDevices forum as well to see if other mysqureezebox.com users are have the same issues.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
cszhy

Post by cszhy »

roobarb! wrote:You can certainly try, buy I don't think it will make any difference. It sounds like the services you are trying to use are no longer available for some reason. I'm no longer near a Joggler for the time being, but from what you describe I'm not sure it's something that can be fixed from your end.

It may be worth checking the SlimDevices forum as well to see if other mysqureezebox.com users are have the same issues.
yes you are right. it seems the gfw of china blocked some plugin such as radionomy .
can i set vpn on that sys?
merry christmas
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

roobarb!:

Just tried out squeezeplay on xfce4 as someone was mentioning the xfce4 panels don't get removed/hidden.

looking at the togglepanel.sh script, you can change

Code: Select all

xdotool search -class "gnome-panel"
to

xdotool search -class "(gnome|xfce4)-panel"
and it should work on both gnome/xfce4. might be worth checking if this is ok on linuxmint which now uses "mate" desktop - as it could well be "mate-panel" for that.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Thanks, I'll definitely sort that out next week. I'll be back at a useful computer by then. :)
johnnygal

Post by johnnygal »

Is anyone using the image viewer to view images on a network drive?

I have mounted a windows share and I can see the files correctly in the mount point.

In image viewer, I select Local Storage Media as the source and for Source Specific Settings I enter the location of the mount. However, squeezeplay moans with "The defined search path is not a directory. Please provide a valid directory path name".

I have also tried creating a symbolic link in the /home/joggler directory pointing to the mount, then updating the image viewer settings to this directory but this also fails with the same error.

(If I plop a few photos in /home/joggler and point image viewer to there, it works ok)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

SqueezePlay for Joggler v1.53 is ready. Hit that update button! ;)

Amazingly, SqueezePlay for Joggler has now been installed on 1009 unique Jogglers!
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Nice one! Thanks :)
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

roobarb! wrote:SqueezePlay for Joggler v1.53 is ready. Hit that update button! ;)

Amazingly, SqueezePlay for Joggler has now been installed on 1009 unique Jogglers!
4 of them are me :-) 1 sqpos, 2 PNP3 and the sqpos joggler I've just setup for a mate. I can't say this enough but your work, in particular, sqpos is fantastic.

I haven't yet as I'm currently unemployed but I will be donating once I'm back in work (made redundant a year ago but I've used the time and my redundancy money to train as an electrician)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

JimbobVFR400 wrote:
roobarb! wrote:SqueezePlay for Joggler v1.53 is ready. Hit that update button! ;)

4 of them are me :-) 1 sqpos, 2 PNP3 and the sqpos joggler I've just setup for a mate. I can't say this enough but your work, in particular, sqpos is fantastic.

I haven't yet as I'm currently unemployed but I will be donating once I'm back in work (made redundant a year ago but I've used the time and my redundancy money to train as an electrician)
A sparky, eh? Good electricians are worth their weight in gold! :)

Don't feel you have to donate - I'm always grateful when people do, but it's entirely optional. Just glad folk are enjoying their Jogglers! :)
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

Don't feel I have to at all, I'd like to donate so I will just not right now.

I'm a bit of a skinny git but my weight in gold should still be a decent wedge :-)
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

roobarb! wrote:Amazingly, SqueezePlay for Joggler has now been installed on 1009 unique Jogglers!
Erm... 4 are me! (joggler 5 is xbmc only but I use xsqueeze on it to access my sqpos!!). As ever, thank you roobarb!
JimbobVFR400 wrote:...joggler I've just setup for a mate.
I am sooo jealous. It's just not fair that I don't know anyone who will do this for me. I'm baffled as to how clueless little ol' me has ended up being the one to do it for others... :?:
Last edited by ilovemyjoggler on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

I've noticed weird behaviour on more than one of my jogglers when I update squeezeplay in PNPIII (by hitting the update button). Instead of exiting and restarting from the openpeak logo, which one of my jogglers will do nicely, they just hang on a blank screen and I have to pull the plug. I've no idea if this is specific to my jogglers, a squeezeplay thing or a PNPIII thing. I wouldn't mention this at all - but I now panic a little when this happens in case they don't reboot, as happened with my birthday joggler which then got stuck on the o2 logo and wouldn't reboot without much coaxing and a few tears!
sijones

Post by sijones »

Hi All, apologies if these have been done to death, but I'm still not 100% clear after searching the forum. Perhaps someone can fill me in on these noob questions...

I currently have a Joggler running the excellent PnPIII on my home office desk. I love it for all sorts of reasons, one of which is the ability to listen to digital radio through the app, and all my music from my home server through the Squeezeplay app. I was so impressed with this that I picked up a cheap Squeezebox Radio for the kitchen, and have been loving that too. I would have put a Joggler in the kitchen, but wanted something with slightly better sound than the Joggler's built-in speaker, and didn't want to be messing about with external speakers etc (no room on the worktop).

I'd already been through the pain of ripping all my CDs when I got an iPod years ago. Now that music's all dumped on the home server, and streaming music from there has been brilliant - I'm no longer having to ferret out specific CDs from boxes & the back of cupboards - I can play anything I want, on demand. I wish I'd got into it years ago. So now I want to hook some kind of streaming gadget to my stereo in the lounge, to enjoy similar benefits there too.

Logitech Squeezebox stuff has got hard to find, and is getting more & more expensive since they discontinued the range, so I've ruled that out. So I fancy another Joggler in the lounge, playing through an external USB sound card, to the phono 'aux in' sockets on my amp. This new Joggler's position (on a shelf, near the stereo) means it won't get used like the one in the office. No-one will be using it to browse the web or check the weather forecast - it's just going to be a Squeezebox client. So I guess PnPIII will probably not be my best bet this time around - most of its functions will go unused. To finally get to the point, my questions are:

- Is 'Squeezeplay for Joggler' effectively the same thing as the Squeezeplay app in PnPIII?

- Wot's the difference between 'Squeezeplay for Joggler' and 'Squeezeplay OS'? This might seem a dim question to many of you!

- I've learned the hard way that Joggler's don't like being turned off & on if they can help it. What does a Joggler running one of the two Squeezeplay systems do when it's not playing music? Is it always 'on' from a networking point of view? (That wouldn't be ideal for me, as it would keep my server awake 24/7).

- What does the screen display when it's not playing music? Looking at Wilberforce's posts it looks like it can be made to go completely off? In winter I wouldn't want it acting as a beacon to burglars, as it'd be visible from the street...

Ahem, this post has waffled on longer than I first intended, sorry about that... Any guidance gratefully received!
SimonH

Post by SimonH »

sijones wrote:Hi All, apologies if these have been done to death, but I'm still not 100% clear after searching the forum. Perhaps someone can fill me in on these noob questions...
I'll see if I can answer a few of these, but am far from an expert ;)
sijones wrote:- Wot's the difference between 'Squeezeplay for Joggler' and 'Squeezeplay OS'? This might seem a dim question to many of you!
'SqueezePlay for Joggler' is the core player and you either run it on your Joggler using Ubuntu, the stock firmware/PnP or SqeezeplayOS. Pnp AFAIK still uses the original OpenPeak application launcher so you can use other apps, where as SqueezeplayOS runs Squeezeplay and nothing else, i.e. it is similar to a SB Touch.
sijones wrote:- I've learned the hard way that Joggler's don't like being turned off & on if they can help it. What does a Joggler running one of the two Squeezeplay systems do when it's not playing music? Is it always 'on' from a networking point of view? (That wouldn't be ideal for me, as it would keep my server awake 24/7).
The main thing is that you shut the Joggler down properly when possible (i.e. don't just unplug the power supply) to save possible errors on the filesystem. The newer images do seem to do a "fsck" check at startup to fix this but it's still better not to have the problem in the first place. SqueezeplayOS has a handy "Turn Off ..." menu option on the home page which you can use to do a proper shutdown.
sijones wrote:- What does the screen display when it's not playing music? Looking at Wilberforce's posts it looks like it can be made to go completely off? In winter I wouldn't want it acting as a beacon to burglars, as it'd be visible from the street...
Yes you can specify various things - when either on but not playing music ("When stopped"), or switched off (but the Joggler still powered up - "When off"). See Settings->Screen->Screensavers. For example you can have various clocks, an image viewer (like a digital photo frame), or just tell it to switch the screen off.

By the way, I've been happily running SqueezeplayOS since I stumbled across it last month and think it's pretty good (thanks Roobarb! :P ).
SB Radio 7.7.2, SqueezePlayOS v1.09(SP v1.53) on O2 Joggler, SB Touch/Quad 606/Heybrook .5
LMS 7.7.2-r33893 on Syno DS213+ NAS. ~4000 tracks & mostly listen to BBC.
Prev: 7.6.1 SSODS(thanks flip!) on LS-XHL; 7.6 on Joggler/Ubuntu; 7.3.3 on LS-GL
SimonH

Post by SimonH »

Now here's my question (I assume I should put it on this discussion as it's SqueezePlay for Joggler specific I think and we don't have a separate area on the forum)...

Has anyone been having trouble listening to BBC today? "Error: No items found in playlist. BBC Radio 4 (London)". When I do "more" it shows:

File Format: M3U Playlist
Bitrate: 128kbps CBR
URL: http://opml.radiotime.com/Tune.ashx?id=s25419&formats=aac,ogg,mp3,wmpro&partnerId=16&serial=...
I've not yet got my head around how actually playing stuff works on Squeezebox. I *think* I got this station into my Favourites by going to Internet Radio->Search->BBC etc. The BBC app doesn't work for me on the Joggler (it seems to play but there's no sound) and yet on my SB Radio I seem to have some bbc....ashx URLs from somewhere. Presumably radiotime (seems to be tunein.com) is some kind of lookup service with an app built into SqueezePlay and then it returns a redirect to the BBC source stream? When I try the above URL without the serial= parameter on my PC the file (M3U which according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3U) is a playlist format) contains:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/listen/live/r4_aaclcb.pls
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/listen/live/r4_aaclca.pls
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/listen/live/r4_heaacv2.pls
Is that a set of alternative streams for the station? None of these look like much streams to me... does this mean BBC has broken something? What is the "best" way to listen to BBC across various types of Squeezebox? (preferably with programme details on screen). TIA!
SB Radio 7.7.2, SqueezePlayOS v1.09(SP v1.53) on O2 Joggler, SB Touch/Quad 606/Heybrook .5
LMS 7.7.2-r33893 on Syno DS213+ NAS. ~4000 tracks & mostly listen to BBC.
Prev: 7.6.1 SSODS(thanks flip!) on LS-XHL; 7.6 on Joggler/Ubuntu; 7.3.3 on LS-GL