SqueezePlay for Joggler (Native, Ubuntu & SQPOS)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
roobarb!

SqueezePlay for Joggler (Native, Ubuntu & SQPOS)

Post by roobarb! »

-------------------------------------------
LATEST VERSION - CHANGELOG
Version 1.60 (7.7.2-9710) - 11th December 2014
-------------------------------------------

This is the thread for SqueezePlay for Joggler from birdslikewires.net

Highlights:
  • Works on both Native and Ubuntu-based operating systems.
  • Can be installed from a USB stick on the native Joggler OS (v26635).
  • Update applet for simple and quick software upgrades.
  • Settings applet for backlight level and display standby.
  • Settings applet for internal or external (USB) audio interface.
  • Fully compatible with remote control apps, eg. Squeezebox Remote.

Installation:

Native OS

Download the USB Installer and copy the contents to a FAT formatted USB stick. Connect it to a powered-off Joggler, power on and wait. You should hear two beeps and a blue SqueezePlay icon will appear on one of your launcher screens.

For full details and instructions, visit the SqueezePlay for Joggler page.

Ubuntu
Either using the Terminal app on the Joggler itself, or via SSH, issue the following commands:

Code: Select all

wget http://birdslikewires.net/download/openframe/squeezeplay/sqpinstall.sh
chmod +x ./sqpinstall.sh
sudo ./sqpinstall.sh
You should find a new SqueezePlay entry under the Sound & Video menu, or under Local Applications on Joli OS.

SqueezePlay OS
If you only want to run SqueezePlay, then SqueezePlay OS is probably for you. It boots straight into the client and replaces any other OS on your device. Or you can run it from a USB device, leaving the original software intact.

Visit my SqueezePlay OS page for full details.

More details on installation, removal and operation are on my SqueezePlay for Joggler page.

This has been in use by quite a lot of people for some time now, so things are pretty stable.
Last edited by roobarb! on Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:53 pm, edited 7 times in total.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
BuZz
Site Admin

Re: SqueezePlay for Joggler (Standalone Native and Ubuntu)

Post by BuZz »

Have you tested with the latest svn portaudio with squeezeplay if it fixes the audio drop outs that were happening after squeezeplay had been running for a number of hours? I managed to reproduce the problem before on my build, and then I tried a newer portaudio and was unable to get it to break again, so I have a suspicion the problem may be fixed or I just got lucky. Would be good if someone else can test and see - then the alsa config workaround wouldn't be needed.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

BuZz wrote:Have you tested with the latest svn portaudio with squeezeplay if it fixes the audio drop outs that were happening after squeezeplay had been running for a number of hours? I managed to reproduce the problem before on my build, and then I tried a newer portaudio and was unable to get it to break again, so I have a suspicion the problem may be fixed or I just got lucky. Would be good if someone else can test and see - then the alsa config workaround wouldn't be needed.
I've not tested it specifically, but each version I compile always uses the latest SVN release of portaudio. I didn't do an overnight test on this latest version before adding an /etc/asound.conf file, so although the problem seems to be fixed, I'm not sure whether it was portaudio or the config file!

The memory card in one of my Joggler's is starting to play up now (ext4 running constantly for at least 9 months now), so when I replace that I'll try it without the asound.conf. That should get us an answer.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Look forward to the results. Perhaps I should try it again also.

do you run ext4 with the journal? and do you use microsd or a usb stick ? (I believe write levelling on microsd is poor or non existant as I've seen someone else who them fail quite quickly also - but it might not be as straight forward - and could be down to manufacturer etc). They don't last forever though, and I guess this also re-inforces the reason to treat the internal flash with care too (or not using it).
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

BuZz wrote:do you run ext4 with the journal? and do you use microsd or a usb stick ?
Yes, it's running ext4 with journalling on a MicroSD card - a very cheap MicroSD card at that!
BuZz wrote:They don't last forever though, and I guess this also re-inforces the reason to treat the internal flash with care too (or not using it).
Getting a little OT for this thread, but does the internal flash not use something a bit more robust? I've not had any troubles with the internal flash on my other Jogglers, but I assumed there must be some reason why the read/write is so slow.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Sorry for taking it offtopic :) (I guess I started it!)

I'm no electronics expert but I don't think the flash in the joggler is any more robust than a sdcard etc. And perhaps even less so than a usb stick for example as some of them have some sort of write wear levelling I believe, whereas the Joggler flash may well have none.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

New update out, running SqueezePlay 7.6.0-9349. Now with control over display and backlight settings!* These applets were inspired by gforum's work, although on this version the options appear under Settings > Screen. Enjoy!

* Backlight settings only on Native at the moment. Working on Ubuntu. :)
Andy Mark

Installation: Terminal app in Ubuntu ?? (Squeezeplay)

Post by Andy Mark »

New-bie

Is it in the Terminal application in Ubuntu I write:

sudo -s
mkdir /opt; cd /opt
wget http://birdslikewires.co.uk/download/jo ... lay/sqp.sh
chmod +x ./sqp.sh
bash ./sqp.sh install ubuntu
exit

roobarb!

Re: Installation: Terminal app in Ubuntu ?? (Squeezeplay)

Post by roobarb! »

Andy Mark wrote:New-bie

Is it in the Terminal application in Ubuntu I write:

sudo -s
mkdir /opt; cd /opt
wget http://birdslikewires.co.uk/download/jo ... lay/sqp.sh
chmod +x ./sqp.sh
bash ./sqp.sh install ubuntu
exit

Certainly is! :)

Just edited my instructions above to clear it up.
Andy Mark

No mysqueezebox.com access ?? (Ubuntu)

Post by Andy Mark »

Thanks a lot - now the Squeezeplay is running.........

.....BUT how do I access my mysqueezebox.com account from the Squeezelay on the Joggler.

When I was running Squeezeplay under Jolicloud I used Test > SN Registration or Settings > Advanced > Networking > "Mysqueezebox.com" to connect.....?

I se no Test option in the Squeezeplay menu......and no "Mysqueezebox.com" under Networking ?

And how do I factory reset ?

It looks like that the default Mysqueezebox account is unlinked@slimdevices.com - how do I choose my own account. I need to run Pandora !

Hope you can help.....
roobarb!

Re: No mysqueezebox.com access ?? (Ubuntu)

Post by roobarb! »

Andy Mark wrote:Thanks a lot - now the Squeezeplay is running.........

.....BUT how do I access my mysqueezebox.com account from the Squeezelay on the Joggler.
When I've wanted to use mysqueezebox.com on it's own I've just chosen that option in the initial setup. It normally shows me my home server and mysqueezebox.com as an option.
Andy Mark wrote:When I was running Squeezeplay under Jolicloud I used Test > SN Registration or Settings > Advanced > Networking > "Mysqueezebox.com" to connect.....?

I se no Test option in the Squeezeplay menu......and no "Mysqueezebox.com" under Networking ?
There's no Test app as I don't think it's supposed to be included on release versions. Not sure why you're not seeing mysqueezebox.com. Perhaps you could give it another try after I've answered your next question. TBH I only ever use SqueezePlay with Squeezebox Server, which links to the mysqueezeplay.com account automatically.
Andy Mark wrote:And how do I factory reset ?
If you're running on Ubuntu, just quit SqueezePlay and delete your settings folder using the Terminal app:

rm -rf ~/.squeezeplay
If you're running it on the native OS then the location is slightly different:

rm -rf /.squeezeplay
Andy Mark wrote:It looks like that the default Mysqueezebox account is unlinked@slimdevices.com - how do I choose my own account. I need to run Pandora !

Hope you can help.....
Yup, unlinked is the Logitech default. Try resetting and see how you get on. Make sure you have a working network connection before starting up SqueezePlay.
Andy Mark

Post by Andy Mark »

Hi roobarb!

Thanks a 100 times for your kind support.

(I have tried to install Squeezebox Server on a PC and the joggler can see and play my music from "Mysic Folder") - OK

What is important for me is "My Apps" ! that has to do with my mysqueezebox.com account.

When I do the "rm -rf ~/.squeezeplay" reset it still remenbers some information I think...... It remembers my Squeezebox Server information and NEVER asks me to type in my account information (Mysqueezebox.com)

Try to look at some pictures I took - my written english is not perfect - so better for me to take fotos that I hope can speak for themselves..... Look at the picture numbers for chronological order !!! ( 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6, 7 )

I tried to reset the Squeezeplay from with in the Squeezebox Server interface - did not work.

The thing is still; that I whant to log into my own account, se "My Apps" and reset the squeezeplay for real ??

Kind regards

Andymark
Attachments
Andy Mark

Post by Andy Mark »

The last 2 pictures :
Attachments
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Thanks for the detail on this. As a short-term measure I may put that Test applet back in, which would at least give you one route for changing the account. I'll post back when I've managed to sort something out.
Andy Mark

Post by Andy Mark »

#roobarb

Great ! Let me know when you come up with something.....with or without the Test applet. // (Will try out and see if your version of Squeezeplay works with Netgear ReadyNAS Duo that supports Squeezebox) // Do you know of some other touch device that will run "Squeezeplay", I think it is a problem that the Joggler device is out of sale.... :cry: Keep us postet and thanks for your work on Squeezeplay
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Andy Mark wrote:Great ! Let me know when you come up with something.....with or without the Test applet. // (Will try out and see if your version of Squeezeplay works with Netgear ReadyNAS Duo that supports Squeezebox) //
I've not had chance to roll this into an update yet, but if you unzip and drop this applet:

http://birdslikewires.co.uk/download/jo ... ration.zip

...into /opt/squeezeplay/share/jive/applets/ you should find that you have a new Registration option under the Settings menu. You can then use it to register with mysqueezebox.com in exactly the same way as you would have done via the Test applet.
Andy Mark wrote:Do you know of some other touch device that will run "Squeezeplay", I think it is a problem that the Joggler device is out of sale.... :cry: Keep us postet and thanks for your work on Squeezeplay
Squeezebox Touch? ;)

Apparently this version will also work on the Telio Touch (another OpenFrame device), but I've only had one person report that on my website.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

New version released; v1.24.

This version provides an option to register / link your Joggler to your mysqueezebox.com account under Settings > Registration. It also corrects a bug whereby SqueezePlay would start before the desktop was ready on Ubuntu systems, causing the panels to be drawn on top.
trickydickie

Post by trickydickie »

I've got Squeezeplay running on the joggler (native) and it runs like a dream... apart from the Alarm clock.

I'm connecting via squeezenetwork. But when I set the alarm, nothing happens. I've tested it hundreds of times and I can't get it to work.

Or that's what I thought until the middle of night when I jumped out of bed to the sound of some sort of siren. I had been testing the previous evening at about 11pm with the alarm set for then. Nothing happened as usual at 11pm even though the alarm symbol is shown on the squeezeplay standby clock screen. Then I got woken up some 4 or 5 hours later (unfortunately I was too spaced to note the time). When I jumped up to turn it off I stopped the siren, then a radio stream started playing (I'd played around with that too during testing).

Is there an alarm clock config file somewhere that maybe messed up ?

How to I go about debuging this or is it a known problem ?

Thanks
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

trickydickie wrote:I'm connecting via squeezenetwork. But when I set the alarm, nothing happens.
The alarm feature has been intermittently useful for me, but then I'm using Squeezebox Server, which takes over a lot of the 'thinking' tasks from Squeezeplay, so that might be masking the problem that you've seen.

The first thing I would do is make sure that the time is correct on the Joggler itself. Are you using the native OS or Ubuntu? Then, check your settings in mysqueezebox.com, just to make sure there's not a timezone option in there that might be interfering.

After that, I would do a comparative test between Squeezeplay + mysqueezebox.com and Squeezeplay + Squeezebox Server to see if there's a difference. I can't say I've got a lot of time at the moment, otherwise I'd look into it myself. Please do post back and let me know how it goes, though. I'll add this to the 'to do' list for Squeezeplay.
trickydickie

Post by trickydickie »

Thanks for the reply Roobarb. I'm on Native OS.

I have to confess that I've been a real Dime Bar ! The timezone was indeed set incorrectly on Squeezenetwork ! :oops:

I'll test tonight and confirm whether or not everything's working as expected. I doubt there'll be a problem with it. It's worth noting though that squeezenetwork defaults to Pacific Time.

Cheers,