SqueezePlay for Joggler (Native, Ubuntu & SQPOS)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
charlesr

Re: SqueezePlay for Joggler (Native, Ubuntu & sqpOS)

Post by charlesr »

I just tried the "update" button from within the squeezeplay menu on my joggler and it has been spinning around for 20 mins or so now (it said it would update it from 1.41 to 1.45 or something - can't remember the exact numbers, but it seemed to know there was a newer version fine).

Does this option actually work?
and how long might it nomrally be expected to take?

If it doesn't finish soon, shall I just pull the plug?
biese

Post by biese »

Hi I'm a newbie.

I have 2 jogglers running squeezeplay on the native OS after carefully following your instructions.

Neither have revived the new OS update yet.

A third I updated with the new OS from these forums, intending to then install squeezeplay.
I found I coundn't get it to work, which after reading the forum I understand is because I couldn't use the usb to get SSH access.

So I used the reflasher to go back to the old O2 OS.
However I still can't get SSH using the usb and also the squeezeplay USB installer (which I discovered I should have been using all along!) does not work either.

Is theresome remnant of the new OS which remains after the reflash and is preventing the USB's from working.

If you can help a non technical answer would be appreciated, I'm good at following instructions but that is the limitof my tech knowledege!

Thanks in advance for any input
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

charlesr wrote:I just tried the "update" button from within the squeezeplay menu on my joggler and it has been spinning around for 20 mins or so now (it said it would update it from 1.41 to 1.45 or something - can't remember the exact numbers, but it seemed to know there was a newer version fine).

Does this option actually work?
and how long might it nomrally be expected to take?

If it doesn't finish soon, shall I just pull the plug?
Yes, it does work - although that's more than can be said for my hosting service sometimes, so if there's any holdup it's either that or your 'net connection. If it hasn't done anything after 20 minutes, then it's likely the download has timed out. In that case, I would pull the plug - if the very worst has happened, you can always use the USB installer to start again (it shouldn't reset your settings).
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

biese wrote:So I used the reflasher to go back to the old O2 OS.
However I still can't get SSH using the usb and also the squeezeplay USB installer (which I discovered I should have been using all along!) does not work either.

Is theresome remnant of the new OS which remains after the reflash and is preventing the USB's from working.
There are definitely no remnants left behind; the reflasher is pretty thorough!

I'm afraid that without SSH running, it's tricky to tell why a USB installer might have failed. Did you definitely copy the '.sum' file onto the USB stick? Did you hear any beeps after booting?
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
charlesr

Post by charlesr »

Coolo. I pulled the plug and tried again. And again. It worked on the 3rd time in a few seconds.
biese

Post by biese »

The sum file is there and there are no beeps. Using the same brand of USB as for the reflash which worked perfectly.
biese

Post by biese »

I started again from scratch. Reflashed thge joggler successfully. Remade the usb for installing squeezeplay and still nothing. The joggler starts up normally. I have had a good search on the foums but haven't come across this problem.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

biese wrote:I started again from scratch. Reflashed thge joggler successfully. Remade the usb for installing squeezeplay and still nothing. The joggler starts up normally. I have had a good search on the foums but haven't come across this problem.
I've not changed anything in the SSH tool recently, so either there's something wrong with how you've put it on the stick (doesn't sound terribly likely from what you've described) or there's something else at play. Next time I'm near a Joggler running the native OS I'll give it a try.
biese

Post by biese »

Followed the instructions to setup ssh through telnet and got squezeplay back that way so I'm ok.
Thanks. This forum is great.
cszhy

Post by cszhy »

thanks, buddy ,I install it in the new system yesterday, and really like it! but I can't find the desktop named "desire" which available in the previous version, can I have it back?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

cszhy wrote:I can't find the desktop named "desire" which available in the previous version, can I have it back?
Wasn't it a streetcar named... ah, never mind... :)

I take it you're talking about a background image? None were removed, so it should still be there...
cszhy

Post by cszhy »

roobarb! wrote:
cszhy wrote:I can't find the desktop named "desire" which available in the previous version, can I have it back?

I take it you're talking about a background image? None were removed, so it should still be there...
yes, I was talking about a colorful background image when paly music in squeezeplay. its missing from the new version.

another question: can I play online mms resource in squeezeplay?

thanks
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

cszhy wrote:
roobarb! wrote:

yes, I was talking about a colorful background image when paly music in squeezeplay. its missing from the new version.
Hmm. Well, it must have been removed from the repository at some point then - I certainly haven't removed it. Sorry about that.
cszhy wrote:another question: can I play online mms resource in squeezeplay?
Online MMS? Sorry, I'm not sure I know what you mean. I've never tried that.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Update time again, folks!
v1.46 (9th May 2012)
Included some additions required for copying sqpOS to the Joggler's internal flash.
- Applet and script to perform the copy is not yet complete, but will appear in the next version, with luck.
Renamed 'Additional Software' to 'Additional Installers' in JogglerInstall applet.
Adjusted the way in which the SSH server is enabled, now using local packages.
Added end-of-life capability to the JogglerUpdate applet and script.
Added a relaunch option to the Quit menu in sqpOS.
Numerous little tweaks and tidies.
The most noticeable one is really the SSH changes; it's much quicker and more reliable to install now.
a8ree

Post by a8ree »

Can someone give me some guidance please.....

I would like to be able to run a Squeezebox system in the house. I have a Synology NAS (DS411j) which is underspec'd for running the native Synology logitech server - you need 256Mb and it only has 128Mb of RAM.

As a joggler owner, I then searched for ways to use it. I found this
http://webdiary.com/tag/joggler/

It indicates that the joggler can act as a Squeezebox server, however everything I see here seems to relate to only a player.

Basically, I would like to have the Joggler read music from my NAS and also be able to be controller using the IOS / Android Squeezebox apps..... Am I asking too much?

Cheers
hc25036

Post by hc25036 »

I'm no coding kiddie(!) but using the USB installation I've had a Joggler running squeezeplayer for a few months now. Until this morning....

Woke up to find a whole load of new icons, but no squeezeplayer. Trying 'Update' had no effect, so downloaded the USB installer and tried again. And again. And...

No beeps, no squeezplayer but plenty of led activity on the USB stick (made sure all the files were copied across, stick formatted properly and tried 4 different sticks) . Tried the SSH install via USB. No beeps, but plenty of LED activity.

Am I Doomed??
hc25036

Post by hc25036 »

Finally sorted by reflashing and using the SSH method.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Just a quickie to say that the current PnP III uses v1.45, but that the update feature works and takes it to v1.46.
Squeezeplay is possibly the most amazing thing on the Joggler! Wouldn't be without it now!
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
a8ree

Post by a8ree »

Has anyone managed to get the Android Squeezebox application to connect?

I just get 'Your player was not found'
roobarb!

SqueezePlay for Joggler (Native, Ubuntu & sqpOS)

Post by roobarb! »

a8ree wrote:Has anyone managed to get the Android Squeezebox application to connect?

I just get 'Your player was not found'
I don't know about the Android version, I'm afraid. Give them a shout on the Android thread - they're likely to know better.