SqueezePlay for Joggler (Native, Ubuntu & SQPOS)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
wywywywy

Re: SqueezePlay for Joggler (Standalone Native and Ubuntu)

Post by wywywywy »

roobarb! wrote:
wywywywy wrote:I've already changed the asound.conf to the simple version, but the sound still gets dropped after a few hours.

Any ideas please?

This is the latest version 1.31 on native.
Hmm. I'm sorry, but I've never seen that before - dropping out on the asound.conf with no additional mixer.

If you're on the native system, have considered trying SqueezePlay on one of the Ubuntu builds? Or are you using additional software on the O2 OS besides SqueezePlay?
I only use SqueezePlay on Joggler and nothing else. I was under the impression that Native is more stable and better supported. Is that not the case?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

wywywywy wrote:I only use SqueezePlay on Joggler and nothing else. I was under the impression that Native is more stable and better supported. Is that not the case?
I would say that running it on the native OS is actually more problematic, mainly because the O2 interface has a habit of restarting itself occasionally, which hides the SqueezePlay interface! I personally use Joli OS (because of the nice touchscreen-friendly icons) and it is rock solid.

That said, if you have nothing else on the Joggler and are using the basic asound.conf, I can't think of any reason you would have audio dropouts. That configuration really is as simple as it gets, so unless there's a hardware reason for it, it should be working perfectly. Other than that issue with the O2 interface I mentioned. ;)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

At last! I found time to make an update!

Would appreciate some testing on Ubuntu systems with this one; seems to work for me, but I've changed my build system (actually using an older compiler now, but it better matches the native OS). It may just be my imagination, but the performance of the UI seems to have improved.

If things go wrong for you, the previous installer is still available as sqp-131.sh.

We're now up to SqueezePlay v7.7.2-9626.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
ARJunior

Post by ARJunior »

roobarb! wrote:At last! I found time to make an update!

Would appreciate some testing on Ubuntu systems with this one; seems to work for me, but I've changed my build system (actually using an older compiler now, but it better matches the native OS). It may just be my imagination, but the performance of the UI seems to have improved.

If things go wrong for you, the previous installer is still available as sqp-131.sh.

Thank you Roobarb.

I'm going to test this update now as I have some problem since I use 7.7.1 version :(
Unfortunately I didn't make a backup of last build (7.6.2) so I can't restore it.

If needed, could you give us a link to return to previous build (7.6.2) ?
But first, I will run v7.7.2 for several days...

Regards.
johnnygal

Post by johnnygal »

Cheers, I'll give it a go on Ubuntu (old 9.10 !) tomorrow when I get home.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

ARJunior wrote:If needed, could you give us a link to return to previous build (7.6.2) ?
Ah, I've still got v7.6.2 here - just download that tarball and you should be able to decompress it over the top of the v7.7.2 install if you really need to go back. What issue are you having with the newer version?
ARJunior wrote:But first, I will run v7.7.2 for several days...
Good stuff - let me know how it goes.
wywywywy

Post by wywywywy »

roobarb! wrote:
wywywywy wrote:I've already changed the asound.conf to the simple version, but the sound still gets dropped after a few hours.

Any ideas please?

This is the latest version 1.31 on native.
Hmm. I'm sorry, but I've never seen that before - dropping out on the asound.conf with no additional mixer.

If you're on the native system, have considered trying SqueezePlay on one of the Ubuntu builds? Or are you using additional software on the O2 OS besides SqueezePlay?
Sorry I am an idiot. I was changing the asound.conf in the Squeezeplay directory rather than /etc!
I made the change in /etc a few hours ago and so far it seems okay. Hope it stays that way :)
roobarb!

SqueezePlay for Joggler (Standalone Native and Ubuntu)

Post by roobarb! »

wywywywy wrote:Sorry I am an idiot. I was changing the asound.conf in the Squeezeplay directory rather than /etc!
I made the change in /etc a few hours ago and so far it seems okay. Hope it stays that way :)
Hehe! Glad you got it sorted - I couldn't figure that one out! :)
johnnygal

Post by johnnygal »

johnnygal wrote:

Cheers, I'll give it a go on Ubuntu (old 9.10 !) tomorrow when I get home.
Hi there,

I have been using this latest build on Ubuntu 9.10 (UNR version). On the whole it's working well.

However, one issue I have is that after a while of uptime, usually when the player is "off", on resuming the playback the sound goes weird. The sound seems to keep repeating itself several times before moving on to the next part of the audio track and repeating that several times too. The length of each playback "piece" is less than a second, so you kind of get half a word being repeated several times. I initially put this down to running Ubuntu from a micro-SD card plugged in the side USB port. But I have just put the squeezeplay onto a native OS joggler and the same problem arose.
This occurs when streaming music/internet radio across the wireless network. None of my jogglers have hard-wired network connections. Restarting squeezplay sometimes sorts it out. Other times I have to restart the joggler.

I have recorded such an instance on my phone camera, so can send this to you if it's of any help.

Thanks,
John
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

johnnygal wrote:However, one issue I have is that after a while of uptime, usually when the player is "off", on resuming the playback the sound goes weird. The sound seems to keep repeating itself several times before moving on to the next part of the audio track and repeating that several times too. The length of each playback "piece" is less than a second, so you kind of get half a word being repeated several times.
Okay... does it do this every time? Also, the audio it plays back - is it 'current', or something from when you last used SqueezePlay? And is your wireless connection still running and stable?

There are a number of possibilities for this, but one that immediately springs to mind is the wireless - I've had issues with stuttering audio when the wireless attempts to get more data and then barfs for some reason. Using the vendor wireless driver cured it for me, but this was on BuZz's builds, not on UNR.

Alternatively, it could be something introduced with the latest build - we're always using the latest build of PortAudio and the like, so it's possible that is the cause. Did it never happen prior to v7.7.2?
ARJunior

Post by ARJunior »

@johnnygal

I have got the same issue with last build as I had forgotten to edit asound.conf after update.
Try to use simple asound.conf...it should fix your problem...

@Andy
Now, v7.7.2 works like a charm ;)
johnnygal

Post by johnnygal »

roobarb! wrote:
johnnygal wrote:However, one issue I have is that after a while of uptime, usually when the player is "off", on resuming the playback the sound goes weird. The sound seems to keep repeating itself several times before moving on to the next part of the audio track and repeating that several times too. The length of each playback "piece" is less than a second, so you kind of get half a word being repeated several times.
Okay... does it do this every time? Also, the audio it plays back - is it 'current', or something from when you last used SqueezePlay? And is your wireless connection still running and stable?

There are a number of possibilities for this, but one that immediately springs to mind is the wireless - I've had issues with stuttering audio when the wireless attempts to get more data and then barfs for some reason. Using the vendor wireless driver cured it for me, but this was on BuZz's builds, not on UNR.

Alternatively, it could be something introduced with the latest build - we're always using the latest build of PortAudio and the like, so it's possible that is the cause. Did it never happen prior to v7.7.2?
Some answers:
No, not every time.

The audio seems to be 'current'.

Wireless connection still works fine.

I think it happened before on release 7.7.1 while I wa on UNR 9.10 only.

I see previous reference to you being quite happy with the stability of the Joli build. The jogglers I use squeezeplay on do not do anything else, so I may give this a go.

Thanks,
John
johnnygal

Post by johnnygal »

ARJunior wrote:@johnnygal

I have got the same issue with last build as I had forgotten to edit asound.conf after update.

@Andy
Thanks.

What is the 'simple' asound.conf? I can see a asound.conf_presqp in the /etc directory. Do I move this to asound.conf?
johnnygal

Post by johnnygal »

johnnygal wrote:
ARJunior wrote:@johnnygal

@Andy
Thanks.

What is the 'simple' asound.conf? I can see a asound.conf_presqp in the /etc directory. Do I move this to asound.conf?
OK, think I found it in page 12 of this thread:
pcm.!default{
type: hw
card: 0}

ctl.!default{
type: hw
card: 0}
johnnygal

Post by johnnygal »

No luck with asound.conf. I tried the above, then without the colons which I think were not needed. In each case, the screen just goes blank when I runup squeezeplay.
ARJunior

Post by ARJunior »

johnnygal wrote:No luck with asound.conf. I tried the above, then without the colons which I think were not needed. In each case, the screen just goes blank when I runup squeezeplay.
File etc/asound.conf should be like this :

Code: Select all

pcm.!default {
  type hw
  card 0
}
ctl.!default {
  type hw
  card 0
}
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

I too have had the stuttering on resume issue on the joggler I have set up for Squeeze only. In the morning it would stutter or be silent. Only way I could fix it was by returning to the basic asound file above. This did reintroduce chipmunk on one station but it seems to be more stable for a pause and resume setup.
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
johnnygal

Post by johnnygal »

That's great. Thanks guys. I think I needed the space before the "{". Now running with the simple asound.conf and will see how it goes.
Batz

Post by Batz »

Hi all

I have stock O2 OS and BirdsLikeWires install of SqueezePlay. I have a Logitech Media Server on a PC which I can access fine from the Joggler. I also have an old QNAP TS-101 with SlimServer 6.5.4 which I can connect to using SoftSqueeze on my PC. But I cannot connect from the Joggler to the SlimServer! I try switch library but it just fails.

Is the Joggler version of SqueezePlay not able to connect to older versions of Slimserver? Seems odd ...

Ian
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Batz wrote:I have stock O2 OS and BirdsLikeWires install of SqueezePlay. I have a Logitech Media Server on a PC which I can access fine from the Joggler. I also have an old QNAP TS-101 with SlimServer 6.5.4 which I can connect to using SoftSqueeze on my PC. But I cannot connect from the Joggler to the SlimServer! I try switch library but it just fails.

Is the Joggler version of SqueezePlay not able to connect to older versions of Slimserver? Seems odd ...
It is highly possible that SqueezePlay v7.7.2 won't connect to a version of SlimServer as old as v6.5.4. That server version is from before my time of using Squeezebox gear; the guys over at the Squeezebox Forums would know more about compatibility.