SqueezePlay for Joggler (Native, Ubuntu & SQPOS)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
roobarb!

Re: SqueezePlay for Joggler (Standalone Native and Ubuntu)

Post by roobarb! »

shadow12 wrote:I refreshed joggler os and reinstalled v1.31,ran squeezeplayer with default asound.conf for several hours then sound error came back. It sounds like a cd player got stucked. Sound out would back to normal after reboot squeeze play.
Weird. Sorry, but that's not an issue I've seen before!
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
shadow12

Post by shadow12 »

roobarb! wrote:
shadow12 wrote:I refreshed joggler os and reinstalled v1.31,ran squeezeplayer with default asound.conf for several hours then sound error came back. It sounds like a cd player got stucked. Sound out would back to normal after reboot squeeze play.
Weird. Sorry, but that's not an issue I've seen before!

anyway, I changed to squeezepalyer for ubuntu, works fine for now.
Jarv_77

Post by Jarv_77 »

roobarb! wrote:
gegs wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but does the new asound.conf file send sound to the internal soundcard or to USB?
If it's for internal sound, what changes would I need to make the file work for USB, other than changing 'card 0' to 'card 1' ?
Just glancing at it quickly now; I think you should just need to change any instances of 'card 0' to 'card 1' as you suggest. The file is set up for the internal audio system. It's possible you might need to change the line 'slave.pcm "hw:0,0";' to 'slave.pcm "hw:1,0";' as I think that may be specifying hardware output device as well. It's been a long while since I dug around in an asound.conf file, so I hope I've remember that right.

Digging back to page 10 of this thread, I've made the card 0 to card 1 changes to my asound.conf file to get usb sound out, but the sound quality is very distorted and poor. Any ideas on why this might be?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Jarv_77 wrote:
roobarb! wrote:
gegs wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but does the new asound.conf file send sound to the internal soundcard or to USB?
If it's for internal sound, what changes would I need to make the file work for USB, other than changing 'card 0' to 'card 1' ?
Just glancing at it quickly now; I think you should just need to change any instances of 'card 0' to 'card 1' as you suggest. The file is set up for the internal audio system. It's possible you might need to change the line 'slave.pcm "hw:0,0";' to 'slave.pcm "hw:1,0";' as I think that may be specifying hardware output device as well. It's been a long while since I dug around in an asound.conf file, so I hope I've remember that right.
Digging back to page 10 of this thread, I've made the card 0 to card 1 changes to my asound.conf file to get usb sound out, but the sound quality is very distorted and poor. Any ideas on why this might be?
Are you using the simple or mixer variant of the asound.conf file? Try the simple one first - then make sure your output isn't up too high.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
Jarv_77

Post by Jarv_77 »

Roobarb, the asound file I have is whichever one it would be when a fresh joggler has PnP mk II installed. The file text correlated exactly to the asound file by gegs on page 10 of this thread. I assume this is the sinple version?
gegs

Post by gegs »

Jarv_77 wrote:Roobarb, the asound file I have is whichever one it would be when a fresh joggler has PnP mk II installed. The file text correlated exactly to the asound file by gegs on page 10 of this thread. I assume this is the sinple version?
No, the simple version is below

Code: Select all

pcm.!default {
      type hw
      card 1
    }
    ctl.!default {
      type hw
      card 1
    }
If the USB soundcard isn't plugged in at boot it will default to the internal one.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Ahh. This is installed via PnP?

There's only so much advice I can give with regard to that version. So far as I know, PnP mkII installs an earlier version of SqueezePlay that I keep available for the original installer by gforums. That, combined with the additional apps that might cause interactions (and the fact that I don't use it myself) means I'm not the best person to ask.

Having said that, give gegs suggestion a go.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Just so folk are aware, the default PnP Mk II asound.conf is

Code: Select all

# cat asound.conf
pcm.!default {
type plug;
slave.pcm "dmix0";
}

ctl.!default {
type hw;
card 0;
}
pcm.dsp0 {
type plug;
slave.pcm "dmix0";
}
ctl.dsp0 {
type hw;
card 0;
}
ctl.mixer0 {
type hw;
card 0;
}
pcm.dmix0 {
type dmix;
ipc_key 13759;

slave.pcm "hw:0,0";
slave.channels 2;

slave.rate 48000;
slave.period_size 4096;
slave.buffer_size 16384;

slave.period_time 84000;
slave.buffer_time 340000;

bindings.0 0;
bindings.1 1;
}
The installed Squeezeplay version has always been 7.71 r1797:9561MS (should all be installed from USB stick)
The installed Squeezebox Server has always been 7.6.0 - r31297 (should all be installed from USB stick)

The release of PnP Mk II which will be available in an hour or so now has scripts in SWF->scripts which should allow folks to swap the asound.conf file for the basic USB, basic internal or more advanced USB version. I only use the internal set-up above though so no idea how well they will work!
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Just to confirm, PnP Mk II installs everything (including Squeezeplay) solely from its USB stick these day. Nothing whatsoever is pulled from any online servers.
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

offbeatdave wrote:Just to confirm, PnP Mk II installs everything (including Squeezeplay) solely from its USB stick these day. Nothing whatsoever is pulled from any online servers.
Thanks for the clarification - good that you've replaced the older version. :)
marshal

Post by marshal »

I've had a O2 Joggler for some time now and I've now mostly using it for squeezeplay. I've been running an OLD version from birdslikewires until today. I am really impressed from the number of update from birdslikewires and the ongoing interest. I've only been using my Joggler to control another squeezebox touch so I've never used local playback and really didn't have much problem with my old version aside from occasional crash.

Today, I did a clean reinstall of the O2 Joggler OS, got SSH access using the new method and then install the latest squeezeplay from birdslikewires.

It does work however I can't get my head around the screensaver options. I used to always leave the clock screen saver running when squeezeplay is off. Now it turn the display off which I believe is a feature. I tried tweaking display option in squeezeplay as I saw some new options were added. I not however able to go back to the old behaviour.

I would really appreciate if someone has a solution for this... The Joggler is in the Kitchen and it is used as a clock :mrgreen:
gegs

Post by gegs »

marshal wrote:The Joggler is in the Kitchen and it is used as a clock :mrgreen:
I understand your frustration. I use the screensaver as a kitchen clock too and it's rather lovely.

Not having my Joggler to hand, I'm not 100% sure but I think you have to install custom clock from the extras menu. I don't think it's installed as a screen saver by default.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

marshal wrote:It does work however I can't get my head around the screensaver options. I used to always leave the clock screen saver running when squeezeplay is off. Now it turn the display off which I believe is a feature. I tried tweaking display option in squeezeplay as I saw some new options were added. I not however able to go back to the old behaviour.
Yes, the standby / power off functionality does genuinely turn the display and backlight off these days.

I believe, although I haven't checked for some time, that you can specify the screensaver to activate the clock after a period of time without playing anything (not in standby, but merely idle). If you set this, you should find the clock activates after a few seconds (which I believe is configurable) when playback is stopped or paused, without using the standby controls.

This isn't something I use, and not something I've spent any time looking at in the past year, so this is all from memory and may be incorrect... but I'm pretty sure it does something like that.
wiredcharlie

Post by wiredcharlie »

In the squeezeplay installation there is a separate file, sqpbacklightj.sh, which is presumably called by the screensaver. Would it be possible to modify this to change the screensaver behaviour?

Tony
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

wiredcharlie wrote:In the squeezeplay installation there is a separate file, sqpbacklightj.sh, which is presumably called by the screensaver. Would it be possible to modify this to change the screensaver behaviour?
No, sqpbacklightj.sh is only concerned with controlling the backlight (specifically, backlight fading) and nothing else.
fraserm

Post by fraserm »

I have 3 Jogglers all setup in the way (I think) described above. When playing, it shows the currently playing information, when not playing, it has the clock always on. Works a treat. Its setup as:

Disable Standby
ScreenSavers -> When Playing -> Now Playing
ScreenSavers -> When Stopped -> Digital Clock (Transparent)
ScreenSavers -> Delay -> 30 seconds.

I also notice I have "When Off" set to Digital Clock (Transparent) but dont think I ever really activate that.

By the way, for those people doing just this, it is worth going back through this thread to search for the posts that show the edits for starting SqueezePlay by default, instead of hte native o2 interface. The interface resets itself every few days putting itself back in front of SqueezePlay. Having done those edits, Squeezeplay now sits there all the time, never failing. Well, not usually... :)
Street

Post by Street »

fraserm wrote:The interface resets itself every few days putting itself back in front of SqueezePlay. Having done those edits, Squeezeplay now sits there all the time, never failing. Well, not usually... :)
Since doing the edits, I've had mine on for pretty much two months without any problems! :)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

fraserm wrote:Disable Standby
ScreenSavers -> When Playing -> Now Playing
ScreenSavers -> When Stopped -> Digital Clock (Transparent)
ScreenSavers -> Delay -> 30 seconds.
They're the options I was thinking of!
fraserm wrote:I also notice I have "When Off" set to Digital Clock (Transparent) but dont think I ever really activate that.
That's pretty much defunct, because when in the 'when off' state, the screen and backlight will be turned off. I don't own an official Squeezebox device, but I'm guessing it has a specific function on those. I could always remove the option in a future revision.
wywywywy

Post by wywywywy »

Hi all,

I've already changed the asound.conf to the simple version, but the sound still gets dropped after a few hours.

Any ideas please?

This is the latest version 1.31 on native.

Thanks.
roobarb!

SqueezePlay for Joggler (Standalone Native and Ubuntu)

Post by roobarb! »

wywywywy wrote:I've already changed the asound.conf to the simple version, but the sound still gets dropped after a few hours.

Any ideas please?

This is the latest version 1.31 on native.
Hmm. I'm sorry, but I've never seen that before - dropping out on the asound.conf with no additional mixer.

If you're on the native system, have considered trying SqueezePlay on one of the Ubuntu builds? Or are you using additional software on the O2 OS besides SqueezePlay?