SqueezePlay for Joggler (Native, Ubuntu & SQPOS)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
stingray

Re: SqueezePlay for Joggler (Standalone Native and Ubuntu)

Post by stingray »

just worked it out........i think its installed now,
eas
trying to run cmd #/etc/init.d/boot.d/S98squeezebox.server start but get access denied!!??......ideas
ARJunior

Post by ARJunior »

roobarb! wrote:If you're hitting the power button icon in the top-left, then you are indeed 'turning off' SqueezePlay. The power button had code added to it many versions ago that controls the backlight - when SqueezePlay is powered off using the button, the display is blanked and the backlight is turned off. The behaviour you are seeing is correct.

If you wish the Joggler to sit displaying a clock, then my advice would be to use one of the other screensaver options and not turn SqueezePlay 'off' using that icon. I believe there's an option for 'when not playing' in the screensaver menu - using this will cause a screensaver to be shown when there is no audio output being played.
OK, thank you roobarb.
Setting one screensaver in "Not playing" mode does what I'm looking for ;)

Regards

EDIT :
Finally it doesn't work :(
As I've said, I've set one screensaver for event "Not Playing" but after a while, the display goes in standby even if I've disabled standby mode in screen configuration.
However, the delay to go in standby mode is longer than if I power off Squeezeplay manually...( I think between 5-10 minutes )
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

ARJunior wrote:As I've said, I've set one screensaver for event "Not Playing" but after a while, the display goes in standby even if I've disabled standby mode in screen configuration. However, the delay to go in standby mode is longer than if I power off Squeezeplay manually...( I think between 5-10 minutes )
Odd. So, in SqueezePlay, there are no screen blanking options set to come into play at all, and yet the screen is still blanked? Remind me - is this on native or an alternative OS?
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Updated to version 7.7.1-9552.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
mike4586

Post by mike4586 »

Hi, I'm new to this Joggler thing having been using Squeezeboxes since the early slimp3 days. I've installed your excellent version of Squeezeplay on to my Joggler running Linux Natty 11.04 that I downloaded from joggler.exotica.org. All is working well with the squeezebox server running on the same unit. The only problem I have is Squeezeplay crashes when I try to connect to any internet Radio streams. It just drops back to the maximised desktop so that I cant see the menu bar or taskbar (you can tell I'm a windows user!) Is this an known problem? Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks, Mike.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

mike4586 wrote:Hi, I'm new to this Joggler thing having been using Squeezeboxes since the early slimp3 days. I've installed your excellent version of Squeezeplay on to my Joggler running Linux Natty 11.04 that I downloaded from joggler.exotica.org. All is working well with the squeezebox server running on the same unit. The only problem I have is Squeezeplay crashes when I try to connect to any internet Radio streams. It just drops back to the maximised desktop so that I cant see the menu bar or taskbar (you can tell I'm a windows user!) Is this an known problem? Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks, Mike.
That's a new one on me... Hopefully I'll have a few minutes to take a peek at this today; could you let me know which internet radio streams you are trying to tune in to? Ah, reading back you say any, but is it iPlayer-based or just the default streams that ship with the software?

I'm thinking libraries at the moment, so could you take a look at any crash logs you may have from Logitech Media Server? On the web interface they're under Settings > Information at the bottom of the page.
mike4586

Post by mike4586 »

Thanks for replying. The problem is with iplayer URL's or any of the internet radio streams provided in squeezeplay. Strangely the Absolute radio app works fine. The last few lines of the Log (I tried to play a stream before I checked the log) are below. I'm afraid it means nothing to me!

[11-11-09 17:11:36.0697] Slim::Control::Request::execute (1883) Error: While trying to run function coderef [Slim::Control::Queries::songinfoQuery]: [Can't call method "playingSong" on an undefined value at /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Player/Protocols/HTTP.pm line 677.
]
[11-11-09 17:11:36.3812] Slim::Plugin::CLI::Plugin::cli_process (649) Request [songinfo] failed with error: Bad dispatch!
[11-11-09 17:11:36.3884] Slim::Control::Request::execute (1883) Error: While trying to run function coderef [Slim::Control::Queries::songinfoQuery]: [Can't call method "playingSong" on an undefined value at /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Player/Protocols/HTTP.pm line 677.
]
[11-11-09 17:11:36.3907] Slim::Plugin::CLI::Plugin::cli_process (649) Request [songinfo] failed with error: Bad dispatch!
FyodorNinian

Post by FyodorNinian »

mike4586 wrote:Hi, I'm new to this Joggler thing having been using Squeezeboxes since the early slimp3 days. I've installed your excellent version of Squeezeplay on to my Joggler running Linux Natty 11.04 that I downloaded from joggler.exotica.org. All is working well with the squeezebox server running on the same unit. The only problem I have is Squeezeplay crashes when I try to connect to any internet Radio streams. It just drops back to the maximised desktop so that I cant see the menu bar or taskbar (you can tell I'm a windows user!) Is this an known problem? Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there, I had exactly the same experience. I just blanked my usb stick to start again.
mike4586

Post by mike4586 »

FyodorNinian, thanks for the suggestion. I've just tried reformatting and reinstalling Ubuntu 11.04, Logitech media server 7.7.0 and the latest Squeezeplay version (via the provided icon), but just get the same result. I'm running LMS on the same joggler and the Ubuntu is running off one partition of a USB harddisk and the musicfolder is on another partition. The stream starts to buffer then squeezeplay disappears leaving me with the enlarged desktop and no way of shutting the computer down. It's very strange as I used to use this Squeezeplay internet radio player all the time with the previous (older) version of Natty from Joggler.exotica.org with the preinstalled Squeezeplay.

On closer checking it appears that it is just the BBC Radio streams that don't work so maybe it's something to do with the stream format?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

mike4586 wrote:On closer checking it appears that it is just the BBC Radio streams that don't work so maybe it's something to do with the stream format?
The BBC streams use AAC format IIRC. There's three acronyms for you.

Try installing the restricted extras packages on the Joggler running Logitech Media Server; that should provide the libraries for it to perform the transcoding before sending the stream to SqueezePlay.
gegs

Post by gegs »

I couldn't get BBC streams to play with the official Squeezebox iPlayer. I had to install and enable the 3rd party iPlayer plugin and it works like a dream (on Ubuntu and stock OS - I have the server installed on both). Make sure you pick the AAC streams on the plugin properties page.

I've posted the method to do this on the following thread:
http://bit.ly/oXt2Nt

It's quite a lengthy post and also mentions how to install the 3rd party Spotify plugin
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

gegs wrote:I had to install and enable the 3rd party iPlayer plugin and it works like a dream
I second that one - in fact, I was assuming this was what you were using! Triode's plugin for the server is far better than the default.

Spotify plugin worked brilliantly for me too, until I realised I was playing the same few songs and cancelled my Spotify Premium subscription. :roll:
gegs

Post by gegs »

roobarb! wrote:Spotify plugin worked brilliantly for me too, until I realised I was playing the same few songs and cancelled my Spotify Premium subscription. :roll:
My kids would kill me now if I ended my Spotify Premium account. It allows them to save playlists for offline playing on their iPods.
The foolish traps that parents set for themselves!
mike4586

Post by mike4586 »

Thanks guys. I've followed your instructions and have now got the BBC streams working through the Triode iPlayer app. I've given up on the Squeezeplay internet radio app! Might actually start listening to some music now ;-)

Just one other unrelated question about the new Squeezeplay. The beep when pressing any selection has become really faint, even when maxing the volume in effects settings. Is there a way to make this louder?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

mike4586 wrote:Just one other unrelated question about the new Squeezeplay. The beep when pressing any selection has become really faint, even when maxing the volume in effects settings. Is there a way to make this louder?
That's a good question, to which I have no good answer. It's the same on my system - the UI sound effects are much quieter, although for me they are normal volume on a native OS installation and quiet under Joli OS. One for the bug list, I feel.
gegs

Post by gegs »

I'm pretty sure there's an option in Squeezeplay to change the volume of the sound effects. Are you saying that the sounds on full volume are less than they should be?
mike4586

Post by mike4586 »

gegs wrote:I'm pretty sure there's an option in Squeezeplay to change the volume of the sound effects. Are you saying that the sounds on full volume are less than they should be?
Yes, even at full effects volume they can barely be heard. Not really a big issue, just wondered why it was different from the last version of Squeezeplay that I had been using.
gegs

Post by gegs »

It's not something I really noticed because one of the first things I do after installing Squeezeplay is to take the effect volume down to zero or barely audible. The sound effects annoy me. :)
eduponesarris

Wirless and Wired

Post by eduponesarris »

Somebody will probably able to put me straight fairly quickly on this one...

I currently have the lates Squeezebox server running on the PC (now called Logitech Media Server) which is hooked up to the router downstairs via a Homeplug AV 500 setup. When connecting wired through the giganet switch at the pc end, streams no problem and picks up the music library, but when I go to wireless, can't find the library, as I am am assuming it is only broadcasting via the ethernet and not on the wifi from the router. Will the only way to stream wirelessly be to put a server into the router with Squeezebox on it and broadcast that way? I have a HP mediasmart server downstairs, but don't usually bother with it that much.

Or is there an easier solution to getting the tunes on to the wi-fi?

Thanks

J
Optik

Re: SqueezePlay for Joggler Native - chipmunks

Post by Optik »

roobarb! wrote:
Midnight Tbot wrote:
I'm going to test this on my Joggler running the O2 software overnight, but if you'd like to try it yourself now go to:

http://www.sabi.co.uk/Notes/linuxSoundALSA.html

and scroll down until you find 'Simple output only sharing example'. Put that config into asound.conf and see where it gets you.
Thanks "Midnight Tbot" "and roobarb!" I had Squeezeplay radio Chipmunks on both O2 and OpenPeak Jogglers with roobarb!'s re-flash and SQP install + iPlayer. Rest of Squeezeplay + stock OS radio was fine. In my case it was the BBC feed - Classic FM (hem hem) was fine. Tried other suggestions on this thread such as setting "rate" and restoring older .conf file. No effect. Wrote up the .conf "simple output only sharing example" from sabi's website + reboot. Fine on both O2 and OpenPeak devices. (apologies if this fix has already been reported - I didn't locate it). Have not tested the 5 hour problem. See also http://alsa.opensrc.org/Main_Page