SqueezePlay for Joggler (Native, Ubuntu & SQPOS)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Paul Webster

Re: SqueezePlay for Joggler (Native, Ubuntu & SQPOS)

Post by Paul Webster »

I don't remember where it is ... but try typing
which of-install
It might show the full path to it
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

Thanks Paul, I'l report back if I find it.

ronnie
Paul Webster

Post by Paul Webster »

I just checked on github ... and now I think you'll find it in
/user/local/sbin
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

I did

Code: Select all

sudo which of-install
then

sudo nano /usr/local/sbin/of-install
scroll down to Squeezeplay

which gave me

else

echo "Checksums match, continuing..."

# Create a standard user 'squeezeplay' with no configured password.
                id -u squeezeplay &>/dev/null || useradd -s bash --create-home squeezeplay
                adduser squeezeplay audio &>/dev/null
                adduser squeezeplay users &>/dev/null
                adduser squeezeplay video &>/dev/null
I have yet to change and run it

ronnie
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

Well that works (after the slowest ever install, I think my Joggler is getting as tired as me :roll: )

Thanks for the pointer Paul :)

ronnie
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Hi

The USB running Squeezeplay OS on my jogger finally died. After several years! :lol:

After 2 nights spent tearing my hair out I finally managed to get Squeezplay v3.03 for openframe onto the internal memory. However I'm now wondering if this image is no longer recommended?

Years later I wonder do I need to have LMS loaded onto whatever operating system I use as I like to control the music through my phone? I can't see a way of doing this on the internal version. All my music is loaded onto a usb

Can anyone advise the easiest way I can use the joggler as a music player that I can also access and control with my phone? I tried looking though the various posts but found it somewhat overwhelming! Any advice and instruction would be very much appreciated.
Paul Webster

Post by Paul Webster »

If you are still running LMS then, if not already done, install the “Material” plugin and then access your LMS via the web browser on your phone … and put /material at the end of the URL
Something like
http://192.168.0.2:9000/material
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

I have no LMS at the moment. It was on the external squeezeplay os USB that died. I don't have a device that I can download it to as none of my hardward (except phone, tablet or joggler) is on 24/7.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Can LMS be downloaded in anyway onto the internal squeezeplay OS? If not, I need to find an alternative way of using the joggler as a server.
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

I made a post earlier today that seems to have vanished into the ether :(

Anyway, since then I have installed the new Debian Bullseye onto the internal ram of my "Betting Shop" Joggler.

Installed Squeezeplay from the "of-nstall" list

Installed LMS v 8.3.1 and added the 32 bit binaries

Configured LMS (I uninstalled a lot of Plugins and added a few (Total now of 16) and have 9% ram left for any updates.
I set the update check to one month and no to downloading them.

BBC Sounds plays on the internal speakers with the Audio Interface set to "Internal (Direct)"

An external usb stick (or even a cheap SSD- Amazon have a 128gb for £12- which I use on a raspberyy pi) would make a more resilient,imho, setup.

ronnie
Paul Webster

Post by Paul Webster »

Plus - if you want to have local music as well then move the LMS cache onto a folder near the music (off the Joggler internal storage) because the LMS database will eat up your space.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

florca wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:42 pm I've avoided updating my two Squeezeplay-only Jogglers to the later base OS due to comments that the "backlight fully off" screensaver wasn't working properly [...] the backlight glow in a dark bedroom was a bit of a show-stopper for me.
Spent a while yesterday playing with Squeezeplay on latest base OS, jivelite & squeezelite on latest base OS and even a pre-packed distro from slimforums. No matter what I tinkered, with I couldn't get the 'backlight fully off' so have kept with the classic sqpOS (v3.03?) installation. I did treat the Joggler to a new microSD card and mini-reader, which zips along a bit better than the old USB stick that I was using.
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
jkn

Post by jkn »

Hi all - this is probably an LMS question rather than an SQPOS/Joggler one, but I thought I'd ask here anyway... I have lost the Radio stations on my Joggler.

I am running SQPOS connected to an LMS running on my NAS. I have the BBC Sounds plugin installed, but I think the Radio Favourites I have are via 'tunin' (unsure, maybe see later...). I only listen to BBC Radio, and that 'live'.

I recently rebooted my server and seemed to have lost my BBC sounds login. Perhaps coincidentally, I am also now unable to use the Radio presets I set up.
I know that there are some changes afoot on the radio sinde of things but I didn't think that was happening yet, in my part of the country (UK South Coast) yet at least.

If I try to use my older presets I get a message like "Error: no items found in playlist (BBC Radio 4"

If I try to use the BBC Sounds plugin (I re-registered with a new login) and try to 'listen live', I get errors like: "Problem: can't open file for: BBC Radio 4" (previously a URL like "sounds://_bbc_radio_4" flashed up.

Any thoughts? don't mind delving but I'm a bit unclear about my options at this point.

Thanks, Jon N
proddick

Post by proddick »

You will need to delete those favourites as they will no longer work. In the UK, BBC radio streams are now only available via the new BBC platform. You can add them again from BBC Sounds when you get it working in LMS.

What version of LMS are you using and on what platform? There is quite a good WIKI at https://github.com/expectingtofly/LMS_B ... lugin/wiki
jkn

Post by jkn »

Hi there, thanks for your reply
proddick wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:15 pm You will need to delete those favourites as they will no longer work. In the UK, BBC radio streams are now only available via the new BBC platform. You can add them again from BBC Sounds when you get it working in LMS.
I know that is going to be true, but is it so, yet? I heard a date of June 15th at the earliest.

The BBC Sounds plugin used to work as well (IIRC)
proddick wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:15 pm What version of LMS are you using and on what platform? There is quite a good WIKI at https://github.com/expectingtofly/LMS_B ... lugin/wiki
I'm on 8.2.0. I should say that I am running via an external USB DAC ... but we have another Joggler with internal speaker, that also shows the problem.

I took a look at the expectingtofly wiki but am not seeing much that might help. The 'hide the sample rte from LMS' setting didn't help.

I guess I am hoping that the error messages I mention might enable me, with help, to home in on the problem...

Cheers, jon N
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

@jkn

which version of SQPOS ?

ronnie

Edit maybe upgrade lms to 8.3.2
Paul Webster

Post by Paul Webster »

You might be getting an error something like ... sample rate not supported.
If so then there is a solution that I half remember having had it myself ... and I'm certain it is documented here somewhere.
I think it is a setting in BBC Sounds plugin to hide sample rate.
proddick

Post by proddick »

I had an old favourite for BBC R4 which didn't work so assumed those streams were dead now. I added a BBC Sounds version as a favourite.

What system are you running LMS on? It has to transcode the BBC streams because they aren't supported by the Joggler and it uses LAME to do that. See this link to ensure you have it installed correctly.

https://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/ ... oding.html
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

@jkn

I made a fresh internal install of SQPOS V 3.03
Player Model: SqueezePlay
Player Type: squeezeplay
Firmware: 7.7.2-r9710
Player IP Address: 192.168.1.207
Player MAC Address: 02:0e:8e:22:9d:76
Using default settings Fip radio played back from the internal speaker

BBC Radio 6 displayed the same Error (Problem: can't open file for...)

I enabled the option to hide the bit rate in the BBC Sounds Plugin (LMS v 8.3.2)

Restarted the LMS and BBC Sounds plays fine

There is this message in the LMS Server Log (safe to ignore)

[23-06-05 09:30:46.1783] Slim::Networking::Discovery::getFakeVersion (131) 
You're using a SB SqueezePlay with a buggy firmware not recognizing this version of Logitech Media Server.
Please consider patching it. Until then we'll try to play nice and return a fake version number...

See https://github.com/Logitech/slimserver/blob/public/8.0/README.md#sb-radio-and-logitech-media-server-8.

If the problem occured after rebooting the NAS, perhaps check the LMS  (or maybe install an alternative LMS on a computer for testing version, either v8.3.2 or v8.4.0)
ronnie

PS If you have EDO and 192kHZ patch installed, make a copy of them as they might not be now easily available

Selection of any BBC programme appears slightly slow.

If I use a Joggler nowadays I use the Bullesye image, and install/build Jivelite and Squeezelite (External on a USB stick)
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

@jkn

I just changed the output to "external", connected a ToneBoard Dac via usb, rebooted the joggler and music plays through the dac.

I guess it's at 96kHz ma

I'll try another dac which reports the input bit rate

ronnie