SqueezePlay for Joggler (Native, Ubuntu & SQPOS)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Man in a van

Re: SqueezePlay for Joggler (Native, Ubuntu & SQPOS)

Post by Man in a van »

This is now a stable release but unlikely to receive updates, replacing v7.9.2 and v7.7.7

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/Logite ... er_v7.9.3/

This is the new nightly, which will receive occasional updates

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?ver=7.9

This is the development branch which is beta and requires updating on a regular basis

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?ver=8.0
gegs

Post by gegs »

I'm running 8 on a raspberry Pi. I have to make sure that the Pi is connected to 2.4 GHz wi-fi or LMS won't recognise the Joggler.

Once both are on 2.4 GHz, if you choose the player drop-down on LMS, you should see the player, but probably connected to Squeezebox.com. Select the player and it will ask if you want to connect to this server. Say yes and your Joggler should be connected to LMS.

I discovered this solution today. I had the LMS problem after changing to Amazon Eero mesh wi-fi, which was painless, other than losing LMS connectivity to my Joggler. Devices choose their own connection frequency (2.4 GHz or 5 GHz) but they all appear as the same network, and it's not easily distinguishable which band is being used. The Eero app on my phone allows me to turn off 5 GHz for 10 mins. My Pi was on 5 GHz but once I'd deactivated that frequency and connected the Pi to the network again, now only broadcasting in 2.4 GHz, I followed the steps in the previous paragraph.

Now sorted and very happy.
gegs

Post by gegs »

BTW, my Raspberry Pi and Joggler only need to be on 2.4 GHz for discovery and initial connection. My Pi is now on 5 GHz and LMS still recognises the Joggler.
gegs wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:23 am I'm running 8 on a raspberry Pi. I have to make sure that the Pi is connected to 2.4 GHz wi-fi or LMS won't recognise the Joggler.

Once both are on 2.4 GHz, if you choose the player drop-down on LMS, you should see the player, but probably connected to Squeezebox.com. Select the player and it will ask if you want to connect to this server. Say yes and your Joggler should be connected to LMS.

I discovered this solution today. I had the LMS problem after changing to Amazon Eero mesh wi-fi, which was painless, other than losing LMS connectivity to my Joggler. Devices choose their own connection frequency (2.4 GHz or 5 GHz) but they all appear as the same network, and it's not easily distinguishable which band is being used. The Eero app on my phone allows me to turn off 5 GHz for 10 mins. My Pi was on 5 GHz but once I'd deactivated that frequency and connected the Pi to the network again, now only broadcasting in 2.4 GHz, I followed the steps in the previous paragraph.

Now sorted and very happy.
gegs

Post by gegs »

The new BBC Sounds plugin on LMS works well with the Joggler and a USB soundcard, but not before editing /etc/asound.conf - if you don't, you'll get an unsupported sample rate error. BBC Sounds broadcasts at 320kbps and 48kHz.

Change the sample rate in /etc/asound.conf from 44100 to 48000 (44.1kHz to 48kHz) and it works wonderfully.
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

Thanks for the tip gegs ;)

and here is another

viewtopic.php?p=32469#p32469
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

Should this still be working.
wget https://birdslikewires.net/download/ope ... install.sh
chmod +x ./sqpinstall.sh
sudo ./sqpinstall.sh

I get
PS C:\Users\mickc> ssh joggler@192.168.1.246
joggler@192.168.1.246's password:
Linux joggletop 2.6.31-20-generic #58 SMP Wed Apr 14 02:29:59 CEST 2010 i686

To access official Ubuntu documentation, please visit:
http://help.ubuntu.com/

Last login: Tue May 4 01:18:09 2010 from ascs-computer.config
joggler@joggletop:~$ wget http://birdslikewires.net/download/open ... install.sh
--2020-11-28 12:04:59-- http://birdslikewires.net/download/open ... install.sh
Resolving birdslikewires.net... 5.135.163.72, 2001:41d0:8:e648::1
Connecting to birdslikewires.net|5.135.163.72|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 301 Moved Permanently
Location: https://birdslikewires.net/download/ope ... install.sh [following]
--2020-11-28 12:04:59-- https://birdslikewires.net/download/ope ... install.sh
Connecting to birdslikewires.net|5.135.163.72|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
2020-11-28 12:05:02 ERROR 404: Not Found.

joggler@joggletop:~$
Jogglermaniac
gxb1011

Post by gxb1011 »

roobarb! wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:34 pm -------------------------------------------
LATEST VERSION - CHANGELOG
Version 1.60 (7.7.2-9710) - 11th December 2014
-------------------------------------------

This is the thread for SqueezePlay for Joggler from birdslikewires.net

Highlights:
  • Works on both Native and Ubuntu-based operating systems.
  • Can be installed from a USB stick on the native Joggler OS (v26635).
  • Update applet for simple and quick software upgrades.
  • Settings applet for backlight level and display standby.
  • Settings applet for internal or external (USB) audio interface.
  • Fully compatible with remote control apps, eg. Squeezebox Remote.

Installation:

Native OS

Download the USB Installer and copy the contents to a FAT formatted USB stick. Connect it to a powered-off Joggler, power on and wait. You should hear two beeps and a blue SqueezePlay icon will appear on one of your launcher screens.

For full details and instructions, visit the SqueezePlay for Joggler page.

Ubuntu
Either using the Terminal app on the Joggler itself, or via SSH, issue the following commands:

Code: Select all

wget http://birdslikewires.net/download/openframe/squeezeplay/sqpinstall.sh
chmod +x ./sqpinstall.sh
sudo ./sqpinstall.sh
You should find a new SqueezePlay entry under the Sound & Video menu, or under Local Applications on Joli OS.

SqueezePlay OS
If you only want to run SqueezePlay, then SqueezePlay OS is probably for you. It boots straight into the client and replaces any other OS on your device. Or you can run it from a USB device, leaving the original software intact.

Visit my SqueezePlay OS page for full details.

More details on installation, removal and operation are on my SqueezePlay for Joggler page.

This has been in use by quite a lot of people for some time now, so things are pretty stable.
Hi Roobarb,

I followed your instructions on birdslikewires (birds like wires, I like your web's name).

Two ways both, one is use Putty with try command lines, got below.

"# cd /media
# wget https://birdslikewires.net/download/ope ... install.sh
wget: not an http or ftp url: https://birdslikewires.net/download/ope ... install.sh"

I guess the link was changed maybe.

The other is use USB stick, I pretty sure I copied all files including the .sum file. Reboot with USB stick, and got nothing changed. Didn't see the blue SqueezePlay icon on the launcher panel.

I reflashed my joggler with your reflash tool and its firmware: 8686.S3 (boardrev:2) and software: 26635.S3 (Jun 25 2010:14:30:20).

Could you pls adivse me what's wrong here? Many tks!
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

gxb1011 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:58 pm Could you pls adivse me what's wrong here? Many tks!
Sorry, I've just realised this is the old SqueezePlay for Joggler thread! I really wouldn't advise you use this these days.

Try downloading the base operating system instead and running

sudo of-install squeezeplay
instead. That should get things up and running.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
florca

Post by florca »

Hi - I've avoided updating my two Squeezeplay-only Jogglers to the later base OS due to comments that the "backlight fully off" screensaver wasn't working properly. Is this now resolved (along with the ALSA resolution)? Keen to update if so, but the backlight glow in a dark bedroom was a bit of a show-stopper for me. Thanks as ever for keeping the boxes working...
Phil
gxb1011

Post by gxb1011 »

roobarb! wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:14 pm
gxb1011 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:58 pm Could you pls adivse me what's wrong here? Many tks!
Sorry, I've just realised this is the old SqueezePlay for Joggler thread! I really wouldn't advise you use this these days.

Hi Roobarb,

Thanks for help. I used your reflash tool and installed the above OS. Also installed squeezeplay through above command line. Succeed. And I got into squeezeplay screen to set up.

Then I also run command line below to install .

"cd ~
wget http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/downlo ... php?id=329 -O EnhancedDigitalOutput.tar.gz --no-check-certificate
sudo tar -xvf EnhancedDigitalOutput.tar.gz -C /opt/squeezeplay/share/jive/applets/ --overwrite"

You can see deatils on viewtopic.php?f=2&t=740&start=40

Then after a reboot, I saw a black screen with a line word: ioremap of 0x1FAF0000 failed! and then fainally go to black screen with command line: squeezeplay@openframe:/$

Any advise?
gxb1011

Post by gxb1011 »

CODE: SELECT ALL

Also I am wondering with above instruction, actually a linux OS is installed and squeezeplay as an application is installed as well. Right?

what's the difference between this and a squeezeplayOS installed on joggler?
gxb1011

Post by gxb1011 »

"/usr/local/sbin/of-install: line 146: 1667 Bus error wget -P /tmp $SQPSERVER/$LATESTSQP
/usr/local/sbin/of-install: line 146: 1668 Bus error wget -P /tmp $SQPSERVER/$LATESTSQP.md5
cat: /tmp/.md5: No such file or directory
md5sum: /tmp/: Is a directory

No checksums! Looks like the download failed."

I tried to install the Download Ubuntu Bionic (Kernel 5.10) for OpenFrame again, succeed. And then install squeezeplay by sudo of-install squeezeplay, after a series installation finally get above. Anything wrong?
gxb1011

Post by gxb1011 »

gxb1011 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:51 pm "/usr/local/sbin/of-install: line 146: 1667 Bus error wget -P /tmp $SQPSERVER/$LATESTSQP
/usr/local/sbin/of-install: line 146: 1668 Bus error wget -P /tmp $SQPSERVER/$LATESTSQP.md5
cat: /tmp/.md5: No such file or directory
md5sum: /tmp/: Is a directory

No checksums! Looks like the download failed."

I tried to install the Download Ubuntu Bionic (Kernel 5.10) for OpenFrame again, succeed. And then install squeezeplay by sudo of-install squeezeplay, after a series installation finally get above. Anything wrong?
it has been sloved.
sijones

Post by sijones »

gegs wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:27 am The new BBC Sounds plugin on LMS works well with the Joggler and a USB soundcard, but not before editing /etc/asound.conf - if you don't, you'll get an unsupported sample rate error. BBC Sounds broadcasts at 320kbps and 48kHz.

Change the sample rate in /etc/asound.conf from 44100 to 48000 (44.1kHz to 48kHz) and it works wonderfully.
I found the post quoted above, which I hope might be the answer to my problem, but unfortunately I'm not bright enough to work out how to do it...

I've started experimenting with the BBC Sounds plugin (my current BBC favourites are getting a recorded message saying how the streams will stop working next year). But I can't play anything from BBC Sounds, as I get an 'unsupported bit rate' error. So I assume I need to make the tweak in geg's post - but where do I actually do that? In LMS or do I do it on each Joggler in the house?

If it's on the Joggler - how is it done? I can connect to them by PuTTY, but my knowledge ends there... Could anyone help me out with how to get to that setting & change it? Many thanks in advance...

EDIT: after some more blundering around I realised there's a setting in the BBC Sounds plugin that 'hides' the Joggler's preferred bitrate from LMS - now I can hear something! Would still be interested to know how that would've been done on the Joggler though (if indeed that's what you have to do in geg's post).
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

@sijones

Are you in the UK ?

Which version of LMS are you using and on which OS is it installed ?

ronnie
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

sijones wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:31 pm
gegs wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:27 am The new BBC Sounds plugin on LMS works well with the Joggler and a USB soundcard, but not before editing /etc/asound.conf - if you don't, you'll get an unsupported sample rate error. BBC Sounds broadcasts at 320kbps and 48kHz.

I found the post quoted above, which I hope might be the answer to my problem, but unfortunately I'm not bright enough to work out how to do it...

I've started experimenting with the BBC Sounds plugin (my current BBC favourites are getting a recorded message saying how the streams will stop working next year). But I can't play anything from BBC Sounds, as I get an 'unsupported bit rate' error. So I assume I need to make the tweak in geg's post - but where do I actually do that? In LMS or do I do it on each Joggler in the house?

If it's on the Joggler - how is it done? I can connect to them by PuTTY, but my knowledge ends there... Could anyone help me out with how to get to that setting & change it? Many thanks in advance...

EDIT: after some more blundering around I realised there's a setting in the BBC Sounds plugin that 'hides' the Joggler's preferred bitrate from LMS - now I can hear something! Would still be interested to know how that would've been done on the Joggler though (if indeed that's what you have to do in geg's post).
I would imagine

sudo nano /etc/asound.conf
find and edit the line

save (and exit) the file by pressing CTRL + X, followed by Y, then the ENTER key.

sudo reboot

But see this post by roobarb!

viewtopic.php?p=33093#p33093
sijones

Post by sijones »

Man in a van wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:29 pm @sijones

Are you in the UK ?

Which version of LMS are you using and on which OS is it installed ?

ronnie
Sorry, should have said: I'm in the UK, running LMS 8.3.0 on piCorePlayer. Running well after some teething troubles cured with the help of this forum.

Thanks for those step by step instructions, will give it a go & report back. From roobarb's thread that you linked, looks like there's a whole new Joggler Squeezeplay software these days? I didn't realise that. I'll install it on one of my spare Jogglers and have a look...

cheers, S
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

sijones wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:01 pm

Sorry, should have said: I'm in the UK, running LMS 8.3.0 on piCorePlayer. Running well after some teething troubles cured with the help of this forum.

Thanks for those step by step instructions, will give it a go & report back. From roobarb's thread that you linked, looks like there's a whole new Joggler Squeezeplay software these days? I didn't realise that. I'll install it on one of my spare Jogglers and have a look...

cheers, S

After updating, run

sudo useradd squeezeplay -m 
This will stop the install failing

and then

I can't find the link to credit the user who posted this tip :roll:

ronnie

Mr Webster also has a tip but I don't know how to do it (hint, hint) I don't know where the file to edit resides :?
Paul Webster

Post by Paul Webster »

Remind me ... what is the issue that I had a solution for?
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

Paul Webster wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:09 am Remind me ... what is the issue that I had a solution for?

Morning Paul

It was this one

viewtopic.php?p=33195#p33195

I don't know where the file is located so that I can edit . Sorry :?

ronnie