SqueezePlay for Joggler (Native, Ubuntu & SQPOS)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
BuZz
Site Admin

Re: SqueezePlay for Joggler (Standalone Native and Ubuntu)

Post by BuZz »

you could try a newer ubuntu (9.10 is pretty old and the drivers are better now etc), or jolios if you prefer a more touch friendly interface?
no1knows

Post by no1knows »

I only use it for squeezeplay and it has been rock solid. Would like to get it working rather than reinstalling a new OS.

Also - the one in the bathroom wall has the USB disk soldered to the mainboard so it's not quite so easy to reinstall the OS!
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

You could try just moving your settings folder (~/.squeezeplay) and starting SqP up - see if it identifies the correct MAC?
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
no1knows

Post by no1knows »

Thanks roobarb, the /home/joggler/.squeezeplay/userpath/settings/DesktopJive.lua files now show the correct mac addresses and both players are connecting fine.

Very strange - I only installed squeezeplay on the bedroom joggler about a week ago. It has since discovered the ability to correctly detect the joggler's mac address! The bathroom joggler has been running for over a year with the wrong mac address but now has the correct one!

I am using Disca's ubuntu image - it seems to be the only one that runs squeezeplayer really well (incl. properly turning the screen off when you turn off the squeezeplayer client). The website is here: http://www.fuzzylogic.co.uk/ although the download link no longer works.

Thanks for the help!
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

no1knows wrote:Thanks roobarb, the /home/joggler/.squeezeplay/userpath/settings/DesktopJive.lua files now show the correct mac addresses and both players are connecting fine.

Very strange - I only installed squeezeplay on the bedroom joggler about a week ago. It has since discovered the ability to correctly detect the joggler's mac address! The bathroom joggler has been running for over a year with the wrong mac address but now has the correct one!
It's most likely that the MAC hadn't been written to a file and the system rebooted when you installed SqueezePlay, but at some point afterwards it was. I stopped using the image quite some time ago, so I don't remember how it dealt with MAC addresses.
no1knows wrote:I am using Disca's ubuntu image - it seems to be the only one that runs squeezeplayer really well (incl. properly turning the screen off when you turn off the squeezeplayer client). The website is here: http://www.fuzzylogic.co.uk/ although the download link no longer works.
Just so you know, I don't test on that release - and the screen on/off controls have changed in recent releases. The issue with recent Ubuntu images would have been improper handling (on SqueezePlay's part) of the fact that BuZz's versions manage their power saving settings properly. The OS screen power management control is now turned off when SqueezePlay launches, so that issue should be gone.
no1knows wrote:Thanks for the help!
Not a problem! ;)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
marra

Post by marra »

Hi, i finally got around to trying joli os after using my joggler native os for the last year or two, ive followed the steps for ubuntu and installed squeezeplay with out any problems but i cant find a icon to boot it afterwards ive been goggling all day and i cant see any mention of anyone having the same problem i installed it over ssh after installing openssh to joli os but im at a total loss i currently have it installed on the native os but would really like to keep joli on due to spotify working were i couldnt get it to work using native am i totally off the mark and im not expected to find it joli os or am i missing something any help would be great, thanks.

I should add i cant see any Sound & Video menu.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

marra wrote:Hi, i finally got around to trying joli os after using my joggler native os for the last year or two, ive followed the steps for ubuntu and installed squeezeplay with out any problems but i cant find a icon to boot it afterwards ive been goggling all day and i cant see any mention of anyone having the same problem i installed it over ssh after installing openssh to joli os but im at a total loss i currently have it installed on the native os but would really like to keep joli on due to spotify working were i couldnt get it to work using native am i totally off the mark and im not expected to find it joli os or am i missing something any help would be great, thanks.

I should add i cant see any Sound & Video menu.
go to "local apps" and then do "add a local app" and choose squeezeplay and press add. it will then be under the local apps screen with an icon.
marra

Post by marra »

thanks for the really quick reply mate, ive just checked and its defiantly not there and i am sure it installed right i followed the steps in the 1st post for ubuntu the only thing i was unsure about was the question at the end i think it was about auto boot i said no to that due to not knowing what to do. would you suggest reinstalling it or should i just leave it alone before it blows up lol, thanks again mate.

under local apps i only have 7 apps 6 of which i think are pre-installed the other being xbmc also add more apps is there.

EDIT: Sorry mate, thanks for that sometimes i think i shouldnt be let out of the house on my own. I found the apps button top right in the local apps which also had the install script/option too, im up and running now and its connected and playing, i think i may need to do the sound settings it seems louder than the native os version i have installed it seems to have a bit of background static may just be my connection though can i ask is there anyway of getting the icon onto my dashboard sry if its a crap question but today is the 1st time ive even heard of joli os, thanks again mate.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

you can't put local apps on the main jolicloud interface (as of yet).
marra

Post by marra »

thanks for that mate, im more than happy all the same. ive just managed to crash it trying xbmc tbh im running it for squeezeplay and im not sure if its common knowledge but if anyone is with virgin media they are giving a 12 mth free sub to spotify which i got last week i think it maybe 50mb customers only but its worth a try i was on the 50mb service but they let me downgrade from 50mb to 30 and i kept the sub so its worth a try if anyone is with vm, cheers.
dan the man

Post by dan the man »

Any idea when/if we're going to get a 7.61 version?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

dan the man wrote:Any idea when/if we're going to get a 7.61 version?
I'm afraid the Joggler will never see v7.6.1. :cry:

That's because it was current in the development SVN for about five minutes. All hail v7.6.2, available now! :)
fraserm

Post by fraserm »

Hi Guys

Just got hold of my third Joggler, and have tried a new install of Squeezeplay but on rebooting I have no icons at all on my home screen!

I noticed an error during installation to do with applications.xml - see my install log below. Any suggestions?

--
# cd media
# wget http://birdslikewires.co.uk/download/jo ... lay/sqp.sh
Connecting to birdslikewires.co.uk (75.119.196.104:80)
sqp.sh 100% |*******************************| 15037 00:00:00 ETA
# chmod +x ./sqp.sh
# ./sqp.sh install

SqueezePlay for Joggler (Native) v1.28 (7.6.2-9510)
=====================================================================
birdslikewires.co.uk

This script installs or removes SqueezePlay for Joggler.

WARNING! It is entirely possible that this script could cause your
Joggler to stop working, as it modifies essential system
files. Every care has been taken to avoid this happening,
but you must only continue if you accept this risk.

No responsibility will be accepted for any damage and this
software is provided without warranty.

Press <ENTER> to install, or CTRL-C to exit.

If you find SqueezePlay for Joggler useful, you might like to make
a contribution towards it's hosting. If you would like some info,
please visit http://birdslikewires.co.uk/about/donate
Thanks!

Installing the Little App Launcher v1.07...

launcher.tgz 100% |*******************************| 42642 00:00:00 ETA

Checking that server will launch on boot...cat: can't open '/media/appshop/applications.xml': No such file or directory
done.
Installation of Little App Launcher is complete.

Installing SqueezePlay...

Fetching SqueezePlay 7.6.2-9510...
squeezeplay-7.6.2-95 100% |*******************************| 6205k 00:00:00 ETA

Fetching SqueezePlay for Joggler (800x480) v102...
squeezeplay-joggler- 100% |*******************************| 5996k 00:00:00 ETA

Fetching the launcher component...
squeezeplay-launcher 100% |*******************************| 5974 --:--:-- ETA

Decompressing... done.
Adding launcher... this takes a few moments... done.

SqueezePlay installation is complete.
--
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Try:

Code: Select all

mv /media/appshop/applications.xml /media/appshop/applications.xml_backup
echo -e "<applications>\n</applications>" > /media/appshop/applications.xml
And then re-run the installation. I really must find time to make that XML file check more robust.

BTW, if the applications.xml file really is missing, that first line will give you an error. Just ignore it.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

roobarb! wrote:I really must find time to make that XML file check more robust.
Done. I've added an integrity check for the applications.xml file, which will rebuild the layout if it's mushed up for some reason.

If you're reinstalling SqueezePlay, when you follow the normal instructions an updated version of the Little App Launcher will be installed. This is the tiny bit of software that deals with adding and removing entries from applications.xml. If you're interested, I wrote Little App Launcher with the idea of having a unified method of launching apps and scripts on the Joggler that anyone could use - I've just never got around to talking about it. It also provides a little web interface that mimics the Joggler's UI, so you can launch apps remotely if you want.

Should probably start a thread on it, really. :)
darrenkellum

Post by darrenkellum »

Yes please do! I've always thought it would be cool to have an app on my android that could view the joggler while im on wifi, then lauch apps from the phone. That way I could start Squeezeplayer or Youtube without getting out my chair... lazy but cool!
fraserm

Post by fraserm »

Nice, thanks Roobarb. I was wondering what the Little App Launcher was :-) Anyway, happy to report my latest Joggler is up and running. I really should bring my others up to the latest too now :-)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

fraserm wrote:I really should bring my others up to the latest too now :-)
Yes, me too! ;)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Updated to v1.29. Found myself with the VM system I used for compiling switched on next to me, so took the opportunity.

Plus I don't like this thread languishing on page 2. ;)
FyodorNinian

Post by FyodorNinian »

Good news. Many thanks for the great work on this.

Quick question... I can't get Napster to work on it. I get an error message - I'll upload the details if that would be helpful. Everything else works perfectly. Napster works on my duet when controlled with the Logitech controller but not when controlled with joggler squeezplay on Mint, Ubuntu or 02 OS. It does work with a joggler running Android and the logitech app. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.