SqueezePlay for Joggler (Native, Ubuntu & SQPOS)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Post Reply
User avatar
roobarb!
Posts: 1472
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:30 pm
Location: Manchester, UK
Contact:

Re: SqueezePlay for Joggler (Standalone Native and Ubuntu)

Post by roobarb! » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:40 pm

JonTheNiceGuy wrote:The dark one comes up with the O2 logo. The light one comes up with OpenPeak. The one which doesn't have any issues comes up with the OpenPeak logo. The backlight control with the Joggler OS is fine on the dark one. I bought the other two specifically to run the Squeezeplay software, so I've not really left them to run in the native UI... I'll try that asap... but it might be a few days before I can confirm that specifically.
Well, I've tried it out on all of my Jogglers now and I can't replicate the issue. What OS are you using on each of your Jogglers? It may well be that the method of backlight control I am using isn't compatible with certain releases. I've only tested the native OS and Ubuntu 10.10.
birdslikewires.net - home of the Reflash System, SqueezePlay (OS) and various tools for the Joggler!

skyworld
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:13 am

Re: SqueezePlay for Joggler (Standalone Native and Ubuntu)

Post by skyworld » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:44 pm

This one works perfect on my Joggler which running on original OS. The P'n'P one dont have any change after i click install.
Thanks, Man.

Paul Webster
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:56 am

Re: SqueezePlay for Joggler (Standalone Native and Ubuntu)

Post by Paul Webster » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:06 am

Restoring the original /etc/asound.conf fixes the sound distortion (verified by playing Live365 via my squeezebox.com) - another way to verify it is to use the original Radio app and play BBC Five Live (with the SQP asound.conf this station has fault sound - but restoring original astound and rebooting gets it working again).
This might result in sound failing after few hours of continued use (reported by others) but may well be preferred since it increases the number of stations / services that work properly.
If all use is via home SqueezeCenter then this might not matter since it can transcode.

JonTheNiceGuy
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:14 pm

Re: SqueezePlay for Joggler (Standalone Native and Ubuntu)

Post by JonTheNiceGuy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:03 am

roobarb! wrote:
JonTheNiceGuy wrote:The dark one comes up with the O2 logo. The light one comes up with OpenPeak. The one which doesn't have any issues comes up with the OpenPeak logo. The backlight control with the Joggler OS is fine on the dark one. I bought the other two specifically to run the Squeezeplay software, so I've not really left them to run in the native UI... I'll try that asap... but it might be a few days before I can confirm that specifically.
Well, I've tried it out on all of my Jogglers now and I can't replicate the issue. What OS are you using on each of your Jogglers? It may well be that the method of backlight control I am using isn't compatible with certain releases. I've only tested the native OS and Ubuntu 10.10.
I made sure I was running the latest version on them all, and it seems to have sorted it out. Looks like I was chasing a red herring all along. Sorry, and thanks again for checking into it for me.

Is there an RSS feed I can follow to make sure I've got the latest version?

User avatar
roobarb!
Posts: 1472
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:30 pm
Location: Manchester, UK
Contact:

Re: SqueezePlay for Joggler (Standalone Native and Ubuntu)

Post by roobarb! » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:01 pm

JonTheNiceGuy wrote:I made sure I was running the latest version on them all, and it seems to have sorted it out. Looks like I was chasing a red herring all along. Sorry, and thanks again for checking into it for me.
No problem - glad it's not something I stuffed up!
JonTheNiceGuy wrote:Is there an RSS feed I can follow to make sure I've got the latest version?
There's no RSS feed, but I always update the version on the first post of this thread and on my SqueezePlay for Joggler page.

On that note, it's probably about time I got around to checking the latest changes in the latest official development release to see what's new!
birdslikewires.net - home of the Reflash System, SqueezePlay (OS) and various tools for the Joggler!

User avatar
roobarb!
Posts: 1472
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:30 pm
Location: Manchester, UK
Contact:

Re: SqueezePlay for Joggler (Standalone Native and Ubuntu)

Post by roobarb! » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:24 pm

Just compiled a new version of SqueezePlay, freshly created from svn 9455 and r1071 of PortAudio.

Going to run it myself for a bit before releasing it generally, but if you'd like to test it now just download sqp-test.sh instead of sqp.sh from my server (see the installation instructions), rename it to sqp.sh and use the 'reinstall' option.
birdslikewires.net - home of the Reflash System, SqueezePlay (OS) and various tools for the Joggler!

ARJunior
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:28 pm

Re: SqueezePlay for Joggler (Standalone Native and Ubuntu)

Post by ARJunior » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:52 pm

Hi Roobarb,

Just received a Joggler and test your SqueezePlay installation on stock firmware.
It's amazing and works like a charm !
Hope I will find more time next days to delve more deeply into that...

Thank you for your great job ;)

PS : Executing your latest version (sqp-test.sh) will delete previous installation of SqueezePlay or do I have to use "sgp.sh remove" command before ?

User avatar
offbeatdave
Posts: 1034
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:43 pm

Re: SqueezePlay for Joggler (Standalone Native and Ubuntu)

Post by offbeatdave » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:23 am

Just want to say thanks for everybody's work on this. I've just switched to this install from the PnP version which broke periodically on my stock OS. Having installed and then reinstalled SqueezeServer from PnP, this is working smoothly. Many thanks!
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!

eduponesarris
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: SqueezePlay for Joggler (Standalone Native and Ubuntu)

Post by eduponesarris » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:12 pm

Video Jukebox software... interestingly this is available for Windows and Linux...

http://www.skgsoft.net/downloads

Anyone reckon the Linux version work on the Joggler for example using a USB stick as the music source?? A possible rival/accompaniment to Squeezeplay..

Had a look at it and it's not that pretty, but it's open source so I suppose it could be addapted?

Ed

User avatar
roobarb!
Posts: 1472
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:30 pm
Location: Manchester, UK
Contact:

Re: SqueezePlay for Joggler (Standalone Native and Ubuntu)

Post by roobarb! » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:57 pm

ARJunior wrote:Hi Roobarb,

Just received a Joggler and test your SqueezePlay installation on stock firmware.
It's amazing and works like a charm !
Hope I will find more time next days to delve more deeply into that...

Thank you for your great job ;)

PS : Executing your latest version (sqp-test.sh) will delete previous installation of SqueezePlay or do I have to use "sgp.sh remove" command before ?
No problem, glad it's working for you!

I'd use the 'remove' option to be on the safe side, but you'll likely be fine either way. The next thing I intend to add is a proper updater script instead of messing about downloading these shell scripts every time.
birdslikewires.net - home of the Reflash System, SqueezePlay (OS) and various tools for the Joggler!

User avatar
roobarb!
Posts: 1472
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:30 pm
Location: Manchester, UK
Contact:

Re: SqueezePlay for Joggler (Standalone Native and Ubuntu)

Post by roobarb! » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:59 pm

eduponesarris wrote:Video Jukebox software... interestingly this is available for Windows and Linux...

http://www.skgsoft.net/downloads

Anyone reckon the Linux version work on the Joggler for example using a USB stick as the music source?? A possible rival/accompaniment to Squeezeplay..

Had a look at it and it's not that pretty, but it's open source so I suppose it could be addapted?

Ed
Anything's possible given time, knowledge and enthusiasm. ;)
birdslikewires.net - home of the Reflash System, SqueezePlay (OS) and various tools for the Joggler!

Avman
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:57 pm

Re: SqueezePlay for Joggler (Standalone Native and Ubuntu)

Post by Avman » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:15 pm

Hi,

Firstly thank you, thank you, thank you for all your hard work on this. My joggler arrived this morning and within 10 mins had ubuntu and squeezeplay running. Unfortunately Napster still not working (I know there is an issue) and the BBC iplayer app is listing 404 errors so I'm stuck with my useless and often only purchased when intoxicated music library.
Anyway, I do have a quick question. If I want to run squeezeplayer on both the native and ubuntu do I need to un-install the program first before loading the alternative or can i install both version and just switch between by booting with and without the USB (loaded with Ubuntu).
If anyone could let me know it would be appreciated as I know I will go home and tinker, no doubt buggering up my joggler in the process.

thanks

J

User avatar
BuZz
Site Admin
Posts: 1444
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:15 am

Re: SqueezePlay for Joggler (Standalone Native and Ubuntu)

Post by BuZz » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:30 pm

Avman wrote: Firstly thank you, thank you, thank you for all your hard work on this. My joggler arrived this morning and within 10 mins had ubuntu and squeezeplay running. Unfortunately Napster still not working (I know there is an issue) and the BBC iplayer app is listing 404 errors so I'm stuck with my useless and often only purchased when intoxicated music library.
you can use xbmc with iplayer plugin for radio/video on ubuntu.

Avman
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:57 pm

Re: SqueezePlay for Joggler (Standalone Native and Ubuntu)

Post by Avman » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:40 pm

thanks,

just getting to grips with all this so not sure how to get xmbc onto the joggler but I'm sure enough searching around here and I will find out :-).
Luckily there are no 404 errors with the iplayer app on squeezeplayer now so it must have been a BBC issue.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the question of running squeezeplayer on both native and ubuntu, will it require a complete re-install each time i change platform?.

gegs
Posts: 1142
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:22 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Re: SqueezePlay for Joggler (Standalone Native and Ubuntu)

Post by gegs » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:02 pm

The USB stick is a different operating system from the internal flash memory; Squeezeplayer on native and USB are therefore unique installations. If you have Squeezeserver running on native you will also need to install it on the USB distro and set up the plugins for each one. Changes on one OS will not affect the other.

Avman
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:57 pm

Re: SqueezePlay for Joggler (Standalone Native and Ubuntu)

Post by Avman » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:14 am

thanks,

minor crisis on my hands now, loaded the ubuntu fine so tried with the stock OS. Install procedure seemed to process fine but when the joggler re-booted I have a blank screen except the home button. This seems to happen from time to time so I tried re-installing the xml which didn't work as no file was found. I then tried booting from my ubuntu stick and it doesn't load because its hanging on the terminal loading screen with the line joggletop login:___ of course asking for a password which I can't enter.

so now I have a native OS without applications and it won't load into Ubuntu

any ideas?????

Avman
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:57 pm

Re: SqueezePlay for Joggler (Standalone Native and Ubuntu)

Post by Avman » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:30 am

somehow I managed to get the joggler to boot with the applications showing. still does not load in ubuntu and I of course tried to load squeezeplayer on and it gave me a blank screen again (with just the home button and wifi)

yugo
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:43 am
Location: N Ireland

Re: SqueezePlay for Joggler (Standalone Native and Ubuntu)

Post by yugo » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:56 am

The blank screen on stock os usually occurs when there is an error in the applications.xml file. I use WinSCP for any edits.
Not sure about the ubuntu problem, perhaps you could write the image to the stick again or else try entering a password if you have usb hub available and can connect a keyboard. The password should just be joggler.

Avman
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:57 pm

Re: SqueezePlay for Joggler (Standalone Native and Ubuntu)

Post by Avman » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:37 pm

thanks, your correct . The applications .xml was missing the <applications> part at the beginning so that is now solved. I'll try a USB hub and keyboard. It might have something to do with initialising the SSH access to stock os from usb using the birdslikewires info.

User avatar
BuZz
Site Admin
Posts: 1444
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:15 am

Re: SqueezePlay for Joggler (Standalone Native and Ubuntu)

Post by BuZz » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:19 pm

Avman wrote:thanks,

just getting to grips with all this so not sure how to get xmbc onto the joggler but I'm sure enough searching around here and I will find out :-).
Luckily there are no 404 errors with the iplayer app on squeezeplayer now so it must have been a BBC issue.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the question of running squeezeplayer on both native and ubuntu, will it require a complete re-install each time i change platform?.
ubuntu from http://joggler.exotica.org.uk comes with xbmc, although i have an update pending to work around a few issues.

Post Reply