SqueezePlay for Joggler (Native, Ubuntu & SQPOS)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
roobarb!

Re: SqueezePlay for Joggler (Native, Ubuntu & sqpOS)

Post by roobarb! »

castalla wrote:Sorry, but I'm confused by this release. I have the SqpOS (the earlier version) running from a usb stick.

How do I update to this version of Squeezeplay?
In SqueezePlay, just go to:

Settings > Update

That's all you need to do to update SqueezePlay itself. It's only when a new OS is released (like I'm going to do in the next hour) that you would need to write a whole new image to a USB stick. If you're using SQPOS then I would hold out for SqueezePlay OS v2.06 - it'll have SqueezePlay v1.55 already installed, but also with a whole bunch of operating system fixes and working AirPlay support.

There's been a reasonably rapid turnover of OS releases recently, but I'm expecting this to slow a lot once v2.06 is out.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
castalla

Post by castalla »

Okay - thanks a bunch!
Commodore.White

Post by Commodore.White »

Looking forward to the new release though the current version is serving me well. I'm pleased I resurrected my joggler and installed SQPOS as it achieved one of the highest WAF scores of many of my recent projects. Thanks so much.

I realise I'll have to reload the OS from scratch but concerned I'll over write the settings - what should I backup.

Peter
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

Not sure where to put this.
Just upgraded my Squeezeplay (on SqPOS 1.09) and trying out the new word clock screensaver.

It's quarter past 3 ish and I noticed the attached.
Its not highlighting the hour of three. I'd not actually noticed a problem for earlier hours but hadn't looked that closely.
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1393428072972.jpg
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

Just checked on PNP 3 and the same thing. Its just clicked over to 4 and that is displaying correctly so it just appears to be the 3 at the moment.
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

After some more testing I've confirmed it was just the three not displaying and I've also found and fixed the issue. 8-)

This is on SqPOS so the file locations for other operating systems might be different.

In the file

Code: Select all

/opt/squeezeplay/share/jive/applets/WordClock/WordClockApplet.lua
there is a mis typed function where three is spelled with 3 e's

To amend the file type the following at the command prompt

nano /opt/squeezeplay/share/jive/applets/WordClock/WordClockApplet.lua
the press CTRL + W to bring up the search function (AKA where is)
type threee
press enter

delete the extra e and then press CTRL + X to quit
type y and enter

You may need to restart SqueezePlay for the changes to work you may not I'm not sure. I ran the command

killall jive
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

JimbobVFR400 wrote:After some more testing I've confirmed it was just the three not displaying and I've also found and fixed the issue. 8-)
Thanks for this - I'll tweak the applet in the next SqueezePlay release! :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
Andi

Post by Andi »

Loving your latest release - thank you.
Have it installed on the internal memory on my OF1, and love how fast it is.
In fact, I'm going to replace my Raspberry Pi home server with this instead - might as well put it to work!

I'm going to attach a 1.5TB HDD to the USB port (once I've decommissioned my Pi server) and use that for storage.
Is there any particular folder(s) I should symlink from the root filesystem onto the HDD, in order to avoid running out of space? I currently have 480MB free on the Joggler, but haven't installed the apps my server will run yet..

I'll be running lighttpd, sickbeard, sabnzdb, deluge, couchpotato, LMS and Dropbox (sync'd to a folder on the HDD, of course!).
Should I just make a note of these applications install folders then symlink them to the HDD?
Not sure what's best!
The HDD will always be attached. It's currently NTFS (as on the Pi I have more space, so haven't needed apps to install to it, only use it for file storage), but I'm going to convert it to ext4 so will have full permission support, etc.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Andi wrote:Is there any particular folder(s) I should symlink from the root filesystem onto the HDD, in order to avoid running out of space?
The system is set up to not run out of space in 'normal operation' - so log files and the like are all held in memory (tmpfs) and then compressed and stored at shutdown. The compressed file is overwritten at the next shutdown. Of course you can run out of space if you're installing additional software, but for what is on there from me, it shouldn't.

Take a look in the /etc/fstab file and see what has been set up to go to tmpfs - you could use /etc/fstab to move those to other storage - IF that storage is ready soon enough. A USB device not used as the root filesystem may not be.

If you're planning to install extra software on your Joggler, I would advise just running the external version from your big USB storage device with a third partition set up for all of your content. That way you can use GPartEd to make the system partition as big as you like, then use all the remainder for your files.
Andi

Post by Andi »

Thanks for the response, Andy.

Well, I've installed most of the services I'll need and still have 275MB free (if I ignore /home/joggler) so might be ok...
Agreed, probably better to run it all from an external HDD, but that would mean the HDD has to be dedicated to the machine, whereas at the moment I can disconnect it from the server and plug it in elsewhere (handy for large file transfers).

I'll see what's in fstab and tweak accordingly.
I might partition the external HDD with a ext4 for 'overflow' from the Joggler and keep my files in an NTFS partition for easy Windows hook-up.

So far I'm loving the 'Joggler Server'. Well done with the latest build! :)

Edit: After installing LMS, I'm down to 113M free, so will definitely do some moving.
I think I'll create a ext4 partition on the external HDD of about 4gb and then use fstab to mount /usr there (after rsync'ing the files). Then do the bind trick to delete the original usr files once rebooted http://askubuntu.com/questions/656/how- ... -partition
I'll also move /home too.
Should keep the internal memory nice and free! Assuming fstab can mount it quick enough and the system doesn't fall over if /usr isn't available immediately... We'll see!
Else I will heed to your advice and just do the straight install onto the harddrive. Just seems a shame to not use the internal memory, as it seems pretty quick and might mean my external HDD could spin down during quiet times. (Though would it ever if it held /usr ?)
gegs

Post by gegs »

Andi - is you Joggler somewhere where appearance matters? I know some people don't like to have too much dangling from the side of their Joggler but if that doesn't concern you, you could use a hub and run SqpOS from a stick and have a hard drive formatted with NTFS or FAT32 with all your media on. Before I had a real NAS I used a Joggler as a NAS with BuZz's Ubuntu distro running from a stick with my media on a hard drive, both connected to the Joggler with an unpowered USB hub. Some portable drives can't be powered by the Joggler but I've only encountered this once with a very old portable; modern ones seem to be fine.

I'm suggesting running SqpOS from a stick because it is still pretty slick and quick, it's easily resized with Gparted to use all available space and you can also backup your setup easily; create an image on a linux box or using Win32diskimager in case your stick fails or you tweak it beyond fixing ;-)
Andi

Post by Andi »

Hmm, maybe. I guess it would make things simpler from the off!
Wouldn't sharing the USB bus make the system slower overall, though?

I do have a spare 16gb stick which I had a use for but no longer need.. Would be ideal...
*ponders*
;)
Andi

Post by Andi »

That's a bit better ;)

joggler@openframe:~$ df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda2        15G  803M   14G   6% /
udev            245M  4.0K  245M   1% /dev
none            192M   20K  192M   1% /tmp
tmpfs            99M  352K   99M   1% /run
none            5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
none            248M     0  248M   0% /run/shm
none            256M   56M  201M  22% /var/cache/apt
none            256M   97M  160M  38% /var/lib/apt/lists
none             16M  444K   16M   3% /var/log
/dev/sda1        31M   10M   21M  33% /boot
/dev/sda2        15G  803M   14G   6% /media/usb0
/dev/sda1        31M   10M   21M  33% /media/usb1
Andi

Post by Andi »

Turns out I don't have a USB2 hub in the house.. d'oh!
The ones I've tried changed the boot time from 52 seconds to over 3 1/2 minutes.. Too slow!

Decided I don't need WiFi, so took apart my 16gb memory stick, whipped open the Joggler, and swapped the Network card for the stick. Et voila! Boots nicely with my 16gb "internal" memory, and a USB port free on the side for the external hard drive.
Perfect.

gegs

Post by gegs »

Andi wrote:Turns out I don't have a USB2 hub in the house.. d'oh!
The ones I've tried changed the boot time from 52 seconds to over 3 1/2 minutes.. Too slow!

Decided I don't need WiFi, so took apart my 16gb memory stick, whipped open the Joggler, and swapped the Network card for the stick. Et voila! Boots nicely with my 16gb "internal" memory, and a USB port free on the side for the external hard drive.
Perfect.
Glad you've got it working as you like. Slow boot is a bit strange though - mine boots up from a hub in a minute.
Andi

Post by Andi »

The hubs I found were cheap and nasty. I can only presume although labeled USB2, they actually weren't.
Happy with my result anyhow! :)
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

I've just resurrected my Joggler - it's been bricked in its box for a couple of years

I've installed the squeezebox server on my readynas and the player on my Joggler but can't get it working.

I also can't shut the player down without turning the joggler off and on which is annoying!

I just get a "connecting to" "mysquuezebox.com" - twirls around for a bit and then says "Problem Connecting"

How do I point it at my Readynas?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
castalla

Post by castalla »

Try to escape from the error connecting page - get the home screen which should have the player basic menu. Select My Music - if your NAS is on the network it should display as a connect choice.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

gremlin wrote:I just get a "connecting to" "mysquuezebox.com" - twirls around for a bit and then says "Problem Connecting"
You'd get that if SqueezePlay was unable to see the server - it would assume that you've not got it installed anywhere and automatically try to connect to mysqueezebox.com, which I've found rather hit-and-miss.

I'd have a check back on the NAS to make sure the server is running correctly (can you access its web page?) and then double-check that the network configuration on the Joggler was correct. Head back to the Network Settings screen and just make sure that everything is connected properly.
Aquitaine

Post by Aquitaine »

Hi,
I just installed squeezeplay on my joggler that also runs pnp3.

I have the lms runnig on a nas.

I have been having hibernation issues of my nas due to lms also running on the joggler.

Can someone confirm that now that i have installed squeezeplay i got rid of the lms running on the Joggler ?

EDIT: disregard the post above