My cunning plan with Squeezeplay OS

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Commodore.White

Re: My cunning plan with Squeezeplay OS

Post by Commodore.White »

Probably not for this thread, but I did say I'd report how I got on with picoreplayers. I've built two, each consists of a raspberry pi model a, wifi dongle and a 256mb sd card. They work a treat as slave players for my joggler squeezeplay Os. One is connected to my hifi stereo, the other to an old set of computer speakers in the shed. Not hifi but WTF. Just need to rip the rest of my cd collection now.

I puzzelled why others needed gparted to format their media partitions. I need to check out streaming movies so I'll try a different reproduce what I did but on a bigger hdd. I'll report progress but perhaps I was just lucky the first time I tried - we'll see.
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

The standard SqPOS IMG file when written to a USB stick only uses part of the stick (about 2 GB I think)

Personally I use gparted to extend the main partition to provide a little headroom for the DB files and also because NY default there's not enough space to download the Debian installer if you want to upgrade LMS. I'm actually using a network share on a NAS for my music so I don't have any files at all on the Joggler so a 4GB stick is more than adequate in my Jogglers.
mikeywilliams

Post by mikeywilliams »

wcndave wrote:ok, i found that adding static lines to /etc/network/interfaces seems to work, and it persists on boot which is good!

I tried an external drive just for laughs, cos it has all my music on it and I wanted to see if internal memory would get full.
It is one of those portable wallet disks, and the USB cable is 10cm, there is no power source.

The light on the HDD comes on, however it does not appear under /media/usb like the stick. Is there something else i need to do?
Does "adding static lines" mean that it works without internet access for your local files?
If so would you please explain (for a numpty) how you added the lines?
TIA
wcndave

Post by wcndave »

I edited the file /etc/network/interfaces (once you've ssh'd in)
it said somthing like:

eth0 auto dhcp

I changed this and put

eth0 auto static (forget the full line now, but just replace dhcp with static)
address 192.168.1.74
gateway 192.168.1.1
netmask 255.255.255.0

see: https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfigur ... e_manually

These values were chosen so it works when I am offline and when i bring it into house to put it online (for updates)

if you ever switch to wireless mode, it rewrites the file, so i made a copy to interfaces.static

of course when it's "offline" like this, you cannot ssh in, or access the settings via web interface or anything else, so online is far better, but in my case i have a workshop about 400m from my house and therefore i am forced offline.

a university student "might" be in same position in halls.
mikeywilliams

Post by mikeywilliams »

wcndave wrote:I edited the file /etc/network/interfaces (once you've ssh'd in)
it said somthing like:

eth0 auto dhcp

I changed this and put

eth0 auto static (forget the full line now, but just replace dhcp with static)
address 192.168.1.74
gateway 192.168.1.1
netmask 255.255.255.0

see: https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfigur ... e_manually

These values were chosen so it works when I am offline and when i bring it into house to put it online (for updates)

if you ever switch to wireless mode, it rewrites the file, so i made a copy to interfaces.static

of course when it's "offline" like this, you cannot ssh in, or access the settings via web interface or anything else, so online is far better, but in my case i have a workshop about 400m from my house and therefore i am forced offline.

a university student "might" be in same position in halls.
Many thanks for the info. Will file it away in case I need it.