new custom Android 2.2.1 Build

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
asantaga

new custom Android 2.2.1 Build

Post by asantaga »

Hi all,

I've tried to put together a release of Android with Market working for the Joggler. This release is based on the release from our chinese friend (mijuu @ mporting) s but with some tweaks to make it work better/easier with our jogglers..

That said you still need to some some tweaking to get the market working as I couldnt find a way of wiping/replacing my google account once configured without removing the market app.. which defeats the purpose..

This current release features :

- English menus
- Google Apps Installed (Maps, StreetView etc)
- Google Market Partially installed
- AndAppStore installed
- AppBrain Store installed
- Astro File Manager installed
- Drop Box install
- Market Enabler Installed (not sure its needed though...)
- Launchpad Pro install and configured with some effects
- Checkout the Hidden Apps option in general settings, allows u you hide camera, chinese app store etc..
- WinAmp Installed
- YouTube Installed (but slightly jerky in its usage)
- Titanium Backup installed (used for Market enablement)
- Clock Sync configured to execute on boot
- Clock Widget Installed onto Main Screen with Weather
- Volume Widget Installed onto Main Screen
- Google Finance Widget available
- Subsonic Music Streamer

To install.

1. Download my image from http://italianknows.com/joggler/android ... _Angel.rar
2. unrar file to a directory, will create a android_joggler1.1_angel.img , you will need to download winrar (http://www.rarlab.com) for this
3. Use https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer to write the image to a memory stick of at least 4Gb
edit 4-Jun-2011 : Make sure you use the latest, 0.3 currently, of the software.
4. Boot in joggler
5. Connect to network, if possible use cable not wireless .. Wifi should work but I havent tried it....
6. Click on 4x4 grid to get to Apps Draw (note the cool graphics :-) ) and run market
7. Sign In/Create account
8. Accept Market Terms of use etc..
9. Market should then work, but with limited Apps.. no uk apps etc..
10. In a minute or so you'll see a alert in the bar (triangle) asking you to accept permissions, you need to do this.. Continue the following steps whilst this filters through... (drag the notify bar down, select it and accept)

11. Go to Settings/Applications/Manage Applications and force stop both Market and Google Framework Apps
12. Go to Titanium Backup, Backup/Store tab/ Select ONLY Google Framework Apps and Wipe Data
13. Back to Home screen, and run Market. At this point you should get an error (good!), press OK
14. Reboot joggler, you can either pull the plug or use the Chinese Power App and use the first option (prefered less wear+tear on plug)
15. Once the joggler reboots wait 1 minute and retry market app, accept T&C and hopefully smile :-)

If it gives an error when you run market again, then maybe you didnt wait 1min :-), try the following
1. Reboot
2. Repeat steps 11 onwards

Current Wish List
- A way of exiting full screen apps (use button savior below)
- Something like lastfm.. damm they want cash$$ now.. although not too much
- Decent music streamer for radio stations...

Anyone tried squeezeplay?

Hope this works out for all..
Please let me, and others, know how it works out for you guys.
Angelo

edit : 27-May-2011 : Button Saviour (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.smart.swkey) gives you softbuttons which are useful for exiting full screen apps
Last edited by asantaga on Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:29 am, edited 5 times in total.
Angelo
dwl99

Re: new custom Android 2.2.1 Build

Post by dwl99 »

Try Button Savior from the Market to exit full screen apps. And Jango (web based) for a last.fm-like experience. Looking forward to giving this a go!

EDIT - woo hoo, it works! Thank you so much for doing this. I have a gut feeling that all my attempts failed because I tried it via wifi rather than ethernet - I remember some of my ZTE Blade ROMs wouldn't initially connect to the market if wifi was used first rather than 3G.

EDIT AGAIN - Okay, the problem lies with wifi. My Joggler worked perfectly with an ethernet connection but when I changed to wifi it could browse the web & connect to Market but refused to download anything from Market. It would also refuse to connect to my Dropbox account. So it must be something to do with permissions. Does anyone have any ideas? It's the only thing spoiling a really useful Joggler add-on.

EDTE AGAIN AGAIN - nah, it's all going pear-shaped again. Market keeps reporting network errors even when connected via ethernet. Dropbox won't connect either.
asantaga

Post by asantaga »

Weird and weirder!!!! , ur in glasgow.. could it be the ash hehehehe ;-)
Ok, I have noticed ONE weird thing.,. sometimes the market wont download apps, network works fine etc. It keeps either hanging, OR saying "Download Unsuccessfull"... The workaround is to repeat steps 11-15 a couple of times..

Also I included Market Enabler, you could try running it, selecting <settings list>, go down to [ie] Meteor hold-select and fake that provider..

once you've done it a couple of times, it just works consistently...

try that? if it works I'll add it to the todo above
Angelo
Angelo
samjam

Post by samjam »

Since moving to this release instead of the chinese release I find that google marketplace is constantly "Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server" and so I can't setup market.

Internet access works, clock is sync'd. Maybe I just need to wait a few hours?

Also, I unpack the system.sfs on the ANDROID partition and replace it with system.img - then it is possible to mount the root read/rw.

The initrd is able to cope with seeing a system.img instead of a system.sfs (squashfs containing system.img)
asantaga

Post by asantaga »

yeah i get that too sometimes, usually if it persists I redo the googleframework wipe trick and it goes away.. . oh btw I also got this with original chinese build
Angelo
samjam

Post by samjam »

it worked for me a few hours later.

This beats ubuntu on the jogger - so thanks!
samjam

no calendar?

Post by samjam »

But... I have no calendars... I was hoping it would sync my google calendar, but it does not. There seems to even be no sync engine for google calendar - I cannot seem to create any kind of calendar at all!
lestar

Post by lestar »

Hi Asantaga, I am having trouble writing this new Android image to my 4 Gb pen drive. The unpacked size of 'android_joggler1.1_Angel.img' is 4.19Gb on my PC. Would it be possible to do a *slightly* more bare bones version? Or am I doing something wrong?

As an example, I am able to write 'android-joggler-empty-partitions-4Gb.img' to my pendrive, and the size of this is 3.91Gb on my PC. Cheers.

(P.S. I am very excited by these developments. The ZTE Blade was my first foray into Android, I follow the Modaco website, and I think Android on the Joggler is going to be a winner for me).
samjam

Post by samjam »

lestar wrote:Hi Asantaga, I am having trouble writing this new Android image to my 4 Gb pen drive. The unpacked size of 'android_joggler1.1_Angel.img' is 4.19Gb on my PC. Would it be possible to do a *slightly* more bare bones version? Or am I doing something wrong?

As an example, I am able to write 'android-joggler-empty-partitions-4Gb.img' to my pendrive, and the size of this is 3.91Gb on my PC. Cheers.

(P.S. I am very excited by these developments. The ZTE Blade was my first foray into Android, I follow the Modaco website, and I think Android on the Joggler is going to be a winner for me).
The last 300MB of Anastaga's image are not used and are not part of the partitioned space. I think you just go ahead and use it and you will be fine.

if you are not sure, do a scandisk with surface scan of the SD partition and if that is all fine, then it means the "used" part of the image is not too big for your memory stick.
asantaga

Post by asantaga »

@lestar, yeah your right I didnt notice..... unfortunatly I dont have a 4Gb stick to do the image from... but will try and "shrink" it...
I'll give it a go over the weekend, unfortunatly work is ... busy..
Angelo
samjam

Post by samjam »

I was able to sync contacts and my main calendar by following these instructions:
http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bi ... wer=147951

My secondary google calendars did not show up
profet

Post by profet »

This is truly wonderful - thank you SO SO much for putting this up!

I'm having a few little issues (getting the market to let me access iPlayer and Flash to start with, and getting out of full screen apps), but overall it works really well.

I'm thinking of getting a little two port hub - 1 port for the USB key and the other for a USB keyboard. Can I then plug in the keyboard whenever I need to get out of a full screen app? Has anyone tried this?

Also, the market enabler app - can it spoof any UK networks?
asantaga

Post by asantaga »

Hi all,

some answers
- Market enabler.. not sure, to be honest Im not even sure its needed..
- I couldnt get flash working either, I think its because flash/iplayer need the NDK (Native Dev Kit) which the joggler x86 Android release wont support..
- For getting out of full screen apps, its easy, install "Button Saviour", it installs as root and adds softButtons for back/home/etc.. When installed you'll see a little tab thingy on the right hand side, click on it and the buttons will appear.. What you really need to do is run the app in the app draw and move the button bar to the left handside.. works better.

Not tried a usb keyboard...
Angelo
nikbeed

Post by nikbeed »

I've been playing with this build today; much improved over the original 2 builds, great job :D

I found like others I kept getting 'unable to download' errors in the Market, I had to go through the 'Market enabling' process a few times before it finally stick.

Currently trying a bunch of apps to see what does/doesn't work, will update later with some results.
asantaga

Post by asantaga »

@nikibeed - Cool, glad everyone likes it..
is it worth creating a seperate thread with programs that work/don't?? Also would be interesting to hear what people consider vital programs.. I think button saviour is vital.. it gives you soft-back buttons which work in full screen..
Angelo
profet

Post by profet »

Button Saviour is working perfectly, so thanks for the tip!

The one thing that I really miss is iPlayer. A quick search on google has dashed any hope of this for the time being as there is no flash support on x86-Android. Unlikely to ever happen.

Once again, great work and thanks!
profet

Post by profet »

Another question - I'd love to play my video from my NAS - can anyone recommend a DLNA player that works well? The stock Joggler OS was pretty good at this tbh, so I might just be booting into that from time to time for iPlayer and streaming, but there has to be an app for Android
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

I'm pretty sure the "old" version of myplayer works with iPlayer, you can find it on Rapidshare etc. Do NOT update it though as the new version is broken for iPlayer.
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

This is fantastic, however tried airplane mode and now can't get out of it ? any suggestions as I can't enable bluetooth for my gps which I did have working
Jogglermaniac
Andy Mark

Post by Andy Mark »

Hi Asantaga.

Very nice job, thanks.

Marked works OK now - your trick did it.

A mutch needed app is the free Pandora app. It is not in "your version" of Market ? How do I change my marked location ? (new to android) So I can see it in Market......

Then I tried to find the free Pandora app in the Applanet.net market app - it is installed - but no app lists shows up ? Its loading and writing: "A network error has occurred....." - try it out - why is Applanet.net not working ?

Hope you can help me get this great music streaming app to my Joggler.

(Looking for a iPhone app to control Pandora on Joggler with Android 2.2.1 ?? Any one ?)

Kind Regards

Andy :geek:

(( No Pandora ? : Use http://www.unblock-us.com if you are outsite US - easy to setup and faster than VPN. Works with Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer too. I use it my self, and it rocks big time. Just give them your mail address, and you can test the service one week - free. No strings attached. .....and give pandora.com a spin ! ))