new custom Android 2.2.1 Build

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Jander

Re: new custom Android 2.2.1 Build

Post by Jander »

nigelh wrote:Hi. I am new to this forum and I have just bought a Joggler and having fun installing pnp, android, etc. I have installed this excellent customer build 2.2.1. (I tried 2.2.2 but had issues with wifi). The wifi on 2.2.1 is rock solid. I am having an issue with clock sync though. The joggler is obviously trying to sync the time before the wifi kicks in so is therefore failing. I have to run the clocksync manually. Is there a way to delay the clock sync until the wifi is working?
I've found the same. Wifi on 2.2.1, for me, is solid once it's connected, but it never connects first time. I have to switch it off and then back on, almost as though it doesn't initialise the wifi correctly at boot. This then means that the clock can't sync at boot. I've also found that the wifi doesn't seem to want to automatically reconnect if the access point reboots - my DSL router/wifi is a bit flaky so reboots from time to time leaving the Joggler stranded.
nigelh

Post by nigelh »

Jander wrote:
nigelh wrote:Hi. I am new to this forum and I have just bought a Joggler and having fun installing pnp, android, etc. I have installed this excellent customer build 2.2.1. (I tried 2.2.2 but had issues with wifi). The wifi on 2.2.1 is rock solid. I am having an issue with clock sync though. The joggler is obviously trying to sync the time before the wifi kicks in so is therefore failing. I have to run the clocksync manually. Is there a way to delay the clock sync until the wifi is working?
I've found the same. Wifi on 2.2.1, for me, is solid once it's connected, but it never connects first time. I have to switch it off and then back on, almost as though it doesn't initialise the wifi correctly at boot. This then means that the clock can't sync at boot. I've also found that the wifi doesn't seem to want to automatically reconnect if the access point reboots - my DSL router/wifi is a bit flaky so reboots from time to time leaving the Joggler stranded.

I have worked a way to get the wi-fi to start automatically. All you need to do is go to settings-ethernet configuration and turn off Ethernet. It connects the wifi more or less straight away on boot. I have changed the settings in clocksync to resync every 15mins so it then syncs then. I could set it to every 30secs but i think that is only for debugging purposes.
asantaga

Post by asantaga »

Im currently in an airport in europe but from memory the clock sync app can sync every 'n' hours.. you could try getting it to sync every couple of hours.. not terribly internet friendly but not really massive overhead...
Angelo
nigelh

Post by nigelh »

I am trying to set up the market. I followed the instructions on the top of the post but even though I can access UK apps now, every time i try to download any, I get a download unsuccessful message.
I did not get a message to accept any permissions which may be the reason.

EDIT. Ignore this - I tired the procedure again and it is now downloading from the market fine now.
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Thanks asantaga for a great image :O) was just wondering if anyone has loaded it on the internal flash? If so are there any benefits???
jdubya

Post by jdubya »

moka wrote:Damn, i have a 4GB stick that i have used for Ubuntu / older Android builds in the past for the joggler but attempting to write this image gives me 'Not enough space on disk' error.

Anyway to get round this? I know there was for Ubuntu as the last bit of space is just an empty partition of something?
moka wrote:Its ok, DD sorted it :mrgreen:
How'd you sort this moka?
gegs

Post by gegs »

Jander wrote:
I only use the Joggler with the touch screen - as it's by the side of my bed I don't want a keyboard etc hanging around. I agree that Ubuntu is more 'powerful' (I use Ubuntu exclusively at work), but I've found it too heavyweight for the Joggler. Android just behaves so much better, for me anyway.
This goes to prove that there is no definitive distro for the Joggler; it all depends on how you use the device. I find Ubuntu better because I've got it running from a portable hard drive (which negates asantaga's 'slooooooow' criticism because it is very fast when it's not run from a USB stick). I also have the drive set up as a Samba share to stream video and music to my Apple TV2.

I have to agree with Jander that the above mentioned setup would be overkill if I was using it as a bedside device - I'd probably want Android or JoliOS in that instance too.
mmoalem

Post by mmoalem »

gegs wrote:
Jander wrote:
I only use the Joggler with the touch screen - as it's by the side of my bed I don't want a keyboard etc hanging around. I agree that Ubuntu is more 'powerful' (I use Ubuntu exclusively at work), but I've found it too heavyweight for the Joggler. Android just behaves so much better, for me anyway.
This goes to prove that there is no definitive distro for the Joggler; it all depends on how you use the device. I find Ubuntu better because I've got it running from a portable hard drive (which negates asantaga's 'slooooooow' criticism because it is very fast when it's not run from a USB stick). I also have the drive set up as a Samba share to stream video and music to my Apple TV2.

I have to agree with Jander that the above mentioned setup would be overkill if I was using it as a bedside device - I'd probably want Android or JoliOS in that instance too.
i have been going around between ubuntu and android - while none is working well enough for me yet i find that android is a much better fit for a 7inch screen, with or without mouse
mildenhall

Post by mildenhall »

What a great Andriod version this is!! 8-)

Has anyone got the iplayer webpage working on the stock browser or Dolphin?

Youtube etc works fine, however iplayer still doesn't work in either browser. I just get told to install flash each time.

I've tried installing Flash 10.1 and 10.3 apks and they just refuse to install. I love Andriod but my daughter won't cope without being able to watch CBeebies on the Joggler, so I'll have to reinstall Ubuntu 09.04 Netbook edition again.

I'd recommend the original 09.04 Ubuntu Netbook edition for the Joggler as it more speedy and easier to control than 11.04.
ando

Post by ando »

mildenhall wrote:What a great Andriod version this is!! 8-)

Has anyone got the iplayer webpage working on the stock browser or Dolphin?

Youtube etc works fine, however iplayer still doesn't work in either browser. I just get told to install flash each time.

I've tried installing Flash 10.1 and 10.3 apks and they just refuse to install. I love Andriod but my daughter won't cope without being able to watch CBeebies on the Joggler, so I'll have to reinstall Ubuntu 09.04 Netbook edition again.

I'd recommend the original 09.04 Ubuntu Netbook edition for the Joggler as it more speedy and easier to control than 11.04.
got a link to 09.04
nigelh

Post by nigelh »

Is it just my set up or is Youtube really slow for everyone else?
noggin-the-nog

Post by noggin-the-nog »

Hi there... just a few questions? what squeeze player are people running? is it the "paid for" on the market? does it work
well? also any idea why Alarm clock apps can't see the alarm sounds in /system/media/audio etc etc? does anyone know of a working alarm clock app, I'd be happy with "Clock" but I get no sounds!!!! cheers
asantaga

Post by asantaga »

Stuart wrote:Thanks asantaga for a great image :O) was just wondering if anyone has loaded it on the internal flash? If so are there any benefits???
Guys thanks for the praise, but seriously 90% of the work was done by Mijuu @ mporting.com, all I did was download it, workout how to get market working, install some toys etc etc.. :-)
Angelo
asantaga

Post by asantaga »

nigelh wrote:

Is it just my set up or is Youtube really slow for everyone else?
yes its slow for me too, I think its because its not using he hardware right...
Angelo
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Hi all,
Where would i post working apps?to add to the wiki ? Am liking the Gaurdian news app and also jpl space images app is very good
Gary
Happy Joggling
asantaga

Post by asantaga »

Add it to the recommended apps, at the top
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/Status_ ... plications

Also guys not sure if you know once the joggler is activated to the android market you can use the website http://market.android.com to add the apps to the device, they simply get downloaded automagically.. however sometimes it takes a while for the device to get the "nod" to download apps.. On mobiles this usually occurs within 30s-1minute.

Angelo
Angelo
jp_hero

Post by jp_hero »

Does anyone know of any mirrors for the chinese 2.2.2 build. The mporting site has terrible download speeds.
I'm from http://www.coolsmartphone.com For all your Android news and reviews.
Also if Twitter is your thing you can follow me http://twitter.com/#!/jp_hero
asantaga

Post by asantaga »

all,

I've downloaded the image and mirrored it at http://italianknows.com/joggler/Froyo_J ... v1.2.2.zip ,

For this version you need to follow the original instructions.. (not mine)
namely
1. Download http://www.flattermann.net/files/joggle ... mg.tar.bz2
2. write this image to a memory stick
3. Then extract the contents into the first FAT32 partition of the stick and away it goes..

NB : I havent tested this build yet as mine (2.2.1) works for me, ie it aint broke not gonna fix it.. but I will try it out soon and create a "prebuilt image"... later
Angelo
jp_hero

Post by jp_hero »

asantaga wrote:all,

I've downloaded the image and mirrored it at http://italianknows.com/joggler/Froyo_J ... v1.2.2.zip ,

For this version you need to follow the original instructions.. (not mine)
namely
1. Download http://www.flattermann.net/files/joggle ... mg.tar.bz2
2. write this image to a memory stick
3. Then extract the contents into the first FAT32 partition of the stick and away it goes..

NB : I havent tested this build yet as mine (2.2.1) works for me, ie it aint broke not gonna fix it.. but I will try it out soon and create a "prebuilt image"... later
Cheers for that. It seemed to be a really slow download the other day. I'm doing a little mini review of the o2 Joggler for coolsmartphone. I just wanted to see if the update addressed any of the bugs. Great work btw. You and the forum will be mentioned.
I'm from http://www.coolsmartphone.com For all your Android news and reviews.
Also if Twitter is your thing you can follow me http://twitter.com/#!/jp_hero
asantaga

Post by asantaga »

awesome, just remember its a community effort :-) I've blogged a screenshot of mine, at http://italianknows.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... d-and.html but I cant get "proper" colour screenshots.. both of mine have a blue/purple tint.. cool.. but wrong..
Angelo