new custom Android 2.2.1 Build

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
asantaga

Re: new custom Android 2.2.1 Build

Post by asantaga »

I've checked out some of the websites on custom roms for the archos 7 and they look ok.. http://wiki.archosfans.com/index.php?ti ... ome_Tablet
that said apparently the hacked roms also lack market support, not showing all apps, and wifi is flakey.. sounds familiar?????? but for a small (and its much smaller than the joggler) android device, to play music etc.. it actually looks cool.... i might get one.. anyway we should probably move this off topic to another forum.,, :-)
now back to work :-)
Angelo
nikbeed

Post by nikbeed »

asantaga wrote:that said apparently the hacked roms also lack market support, not showing all apps, and wifi is flakey.. sounds familiar?????? but for a small (and its much smaller than the joggler) android device, to play music etc.. it actually looks cool.... i might get one.. anyway we should probably move this off topic to another forum.,, :-)
now back to work :-)
Apologies for the off-topic. I actually bought one of these last week as it was so cheap. I've tried both 2.2 and 2.1 roms on the Archos, and they all have full market access. If you can put up with the resistive screen (ugh) it's actually a decent device for the price. I found the 2.1 roms are pretty snappy and responsive, whereas the 2.2 roms are a bit sluggish for my tastes.

I mainly use it for reading (kindle) and video playback, which it excels at due to it's additional hardware DPS (yes it plays 720p mkv's). Will make a fantastic headrest mounted video player for the kids to boot :D
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

More apologies for being OT - I think the way ahead for me at least is to get a cheapo Chinese 7 or 8" Android tablet & install Squeeze Player from the Market. Then it would do everything my Joggler does except for XBMC.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Hi Asantaga ,
it looks like the link is up for that 2.2.2 build you mentioned , any chance of you doing the business with it ?It would be great if you could , thanks .
I got my flash drive working again after sorting it with run , cmd , diskpart e.t.c , i had to build the drive again first as a 8gb stick was only showing as 792mb after a previous attempt !! It might be worth us putting a tutorial on how to do this as it seems quite a few people have had this issue or maybee most people on this forum would know how to do this anyway .

I think we are missing the point here , hacking something you got for next to nothing despite being loads of fun is extremely satisfying to boot ; if i wasn't intrested in messing about with my joggler i think the ipad would be "The Daddy" lol ;)
Happy Joggling
jp_hero

Post by jp_hero »

Just saw the 1.2 version on the chinese website. Once translated it sounds very interesting. Looking forward to see what Asantaga can do with it.
I'm from http://www.coolsmartphone.com For all your Android news and reviews.
Also if Twitter is your thing you can follow me http://twitter.com/#!/jp_hero
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

I had a go with the new version from the Chinese website. Wifi connection is still very buggy & Market doesn't work even after applying the fix. Close, but no cigar!
jp_hero

Post by jp_hero »

dwl99 wrote:I had a go with the new version from the Chinese website. Wifi connection is still very buggy & Market doesn't work even after applying the fix. Close, but no cigar!
sad face
asantaga

Post by asantaga »

Guys,

FYI, I've started a Wiki with list of "working" apps, for the joggler.. Its not meant to be a comprehensive list but more of a "we've tested" and use it list..
Would be nice if the community start adding to it, I'll do more tonight when I get home,...

The url is http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/Status_ ... plications

Oh on a second point anyone tried the 2.2.2 release? Is it better than the 2.2.1? I havent had time to try it out yet..
Angelo
jp_hero

Post by jp_hero »

I will add some working apps to the wiki tonight. Do I sign up for seperate account there?
Winterhasarrived

Post by Winterhasarrived »

Struggling with new Chinese rom. Is there an easy way to install it which correctly partitions the SD card?
I think I am ending up installing it on just one partition, hence nothing can be saved to the SD.
asantaga

Post by asantaga »

@winterhasarrived I'll try out the 2.2.2 release tomorrow.

All regarding list of apps, there are obviously LOTS of apps which work, shall we rename it to list of "useful" apps and perhaps apps which dont work?

oh also I posted an entry on the general/software forum as a poll curious to see who uses what OS. please update :-)
Angelo
Jander

Post by Jander »

This build is superb. So much more capable than using Ubuntu :-)

I have one question tho'. Is it possible to turn the back light off completely within Android ? My intention (like many others) is to use this as a media player in my bedroom (2Player works a treat), but even with the clock app dimming the screen it is still too bright for comfort.

Thanks,
Jerry.
stephen m

Post by stephen m »

Now using this via wi-fi and working a treat :D
moka

Post by moka »

Damn, i have a 4GB stick that i have used for Ubuntu / older Android builds in the past for the joggler but attempting to write this image gives me 'Not enough space on disk' error.

Anyway to get round this? I know there was for Ubuntu as the last bit of space is just an empty partition of something?
moka

Post by moka »

Its ok, DD sorted it :mrgreen:
asantaga

Post by asantaga »

:-)
Angelo
gegs

Post by gegs »

Jander wrote:This build is superb. So much more capable than using Ubuntu :-)
I feel this is only true if you are trying to use Ubuntu with your fingers only. Ubuntu is much more powerful than Android if you use a bluetooth mouse and keyboard (sorry Android fanboys but it's true.) I never use touch with Ubuntu unless I'm using Squeezeplay.
asantaga

Post by asantaga »

gegs wrote:
I feel this is only true if you are trying to use Ubuntu with your fingers only. Ubuntu is much more powerful than Android if you use a bluetooth mouse and keyboard (sorry Android fanboys but it's true.) I never use touch with Ubuntu unless I'm using Squeezeplay.
--- mmm true, but Ive tried ubunti on the joggler and it seams to get stuck regularly.. ie go slooooooow... im not sure if its because of the themals kicking in (although I have set the value in the grub line) or its swapping but bottom line its less than satisfactory.. that said people are using it...
Angelo
nigelh

Post by nigelh »

Hi. I am new to this forum and I have just bought a Joggler and having fun installing pnp, android, etc. I have installed this excellent customer build 2.2.1. (I tried 2.2.2 but had issues with wifi). The wifi on 2.2.1 is rock solid. I am having an issue with clock sync though. The joggler is obviously trying to sync the time before the wifi kicks in so is therefore failing. I have to run the clocksync manually. Is there a way to delay the clock sync until the wifi is working?
Jander

Post by Jander »

gegs wrote:
I only use the Joggler with the touch screen - as it's by the side of my bed I don't want a keyboard etc hanging around. I agree that Ubuntu is more 'powerful' (I use Ubuntu exclusively at work), but I've found it too heavyweight for the Joggler. Android just behaves so much better, for me anyway.