new custom Android 2.2.1 Build

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
asantaga

Re: new custom Android 2.2.1 Build

Post by asantaga »

@MICHAELM With the apps, I think its because most of these apps are built for mobile phones and thus assume , a) Portrait mode and b) ARM CPUs which means they use the Native Dev Kit. Now our Joggler android build is x86 based so the NDK doesnt work and ... well isnt as mature as the ARM 2.2.1 build.. Some people on the web actually call it a "toy" version of android..

That said I think this will change, Intel recently anounced it would be launching some new x86 Android tablets (!), so when that appears they''l amost certainly work on stabilizing the x86 build. and Adobe will port flash (another thing missing) etc etc etc... They are also working really hard on Maemo.. Now The nice think about maemo is that its true linux but BUILT for tablets etc.. so flash already works etc etc etc.. I havent tried it yet, but its certainly worth keeping an eye on..

Ive got an idea, shall I create a seperate thread on what apps work/dont work on the android x86 build? or better still create a wiki page on the main page with this info??? Happy to start it off, if everyone please PMs me what apps work/dont work, I'll collate these over a couple of days and get an inital page up..
Angelo
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

Thanks asantaga

Much appreciated. I figured that some of the apps simply are not compatible with the version of android we have.

Some initial app notes:

Apps that work: Last FM, Pocket Auctions for Ebay, Weather Channel, Sky News, Pulse, Google Reader (but not full screen) - use Pulse instead, Facebook for Android, Guardian Anywhere,Telegraph (works in portrait mode only), Evernote.

Apps that DO NOT Work for me: TuneIn Radio, BBC News (installs but no data and no landscape mode),WhatsApp, Official Ebay App,Spotify.

If i come across any more, will let you all know (or update the wiki if it is set up)

M
mildenhall

Post by mildenhall »

I've come late to this thread so please bear with me... :-)

I'd love to use Andriod on my Joggler as it is lightning fast but sadly doesn't handle Flash. The latest Andriod build works great, but I watch a lot of live TV feeds on my Ubuntu 9.10 Joggler and won't move over to andriod until I can watch the feeds. Does the new Dolphin release with flash built in work?

My wife's Galaxy S is linked to Google calendar. I'd like the joggler calendar linked too. I could just use the web page however does the google calendar app work?

TIA
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Thank you kindly Sir, Asantaga you are a star.

I finally managed to get a bootable A
Android stick made after many failed attempts , make sure you use the latest version 0.3 of the suggested software .
First impressions , very impressive.

I was messing about with the apps and clicked on the off button type one and was greeted with four chinese symbols , i think i chose the first thinking it may close down my joggler .
Guess what, i broke my bootable stick he he he ,i just love messing about with this gadget.
Happy Joggling
asantaga

Post by asantaga »

mmm on the reboot widget, the first widget is the right one for reboot...

Maybe as it was your first boot, perhaps android was still writing/sorting itself out??
I'll update the first post to indicate use the 0.3 software
Angelo
Reffy

Post by Reffy »

@asantaga

I think you're referring to MeeGo. Due to the number of closed components in Maemo, it likely won't be ported. Several ports of MeeGo have been made to the Joggler by Vgrade and are mostly running ok. I have managed to port WeTab OS to the Joggler (with working flash) but the interface is limited due to resolution (among other issues). If I ever get round to fixing these issues, I'll release an image. I don't know when that'll be (have lost interest in the Joggler after purchasing a Vega) but I'll post here when/if it happens.
asantaga

Post by asantaga »

thanks @reffy, i'll admit im quite happy with the current android build on the joggler.. works fine.. just wifi is a little finicly...
Angelo
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

So I built a new image on my 8gb HP stick after crashing the last one as per my previous post it starts to boot up but then hangs on a line something like @jogglerr :/ #
I tried several reeboots
Do you think building the stick again might work?
Ubuntu boots no probably of another stick

Any ideas peeps
Happy Joggling
asantaga

Post by asantaga »

yeah ive seen this, at this point i think android is setting itself up etc.. some sticks take about 20seconds, and some take longer.. give that a go..
Angelo
stephen m

Post by stephen m »

stephen m wrote:asantaga, just downloaded and installed Doplhin HD. Seems to be working ok. Will test somewhat more later as off to the gym
Ooops, meant to get back re Dophin before now - no I've not been at the gym all this time :D I agree with the findings above. And thanks again asantaga for this - makes android more usable on the Joggler. Just need the wi-fi issue sorted though ;)
doojit

Post by doojit »

Great work on android I think this is the best operating system for the joggler, few points I have found sync the time this will allow the market to download and other bits. If you dont you make get certificate error. WIFI is a little finicky but switch off and on and it seems to work fine apps I have that work

greader
smoothcalendar
scanner radio
squeezebox
xbmc remote
pulse

Keep up the good work cheers
asantaga

Post by asantaga »

guys

just noticed on Mijuu's website but hes working on a new version of android 2.2.2 (http://www.mporting.com/category/android/) no download link yet, but he's just posted it sooo whoo knows it might solve the wifi issues!
Angelo
Winterhasarrived

Post by Winterhasarrived »

I can't get squeezeplayer working. Either from the market or sideloading through dropbox. Any tips?
asantaga

Post by asantaga »

i dont have it to try.. but jango wouldnt work without a wireless connection...try using wifi, or cable?
Angelo
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

If it's Android you're after, carphonewarehouse are selling an Archos 7" Android tablet for 75.00GBP but you can get 15.00 back via Quidco. It has a resistive screen (like the Joggler) and runs 2.1 but there are custom 2.2 ROMs out there. It sounds like a whole lot less hassle than trying to get Android to run properly on a Joggler. And it's portable! http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobile ... OME-TABLET
Winterhasarrived

Post by Winterhasarrived »

Wireless or ethernet, still no joy with squeezeplayer.

The Archos CPW are selling has a resistive screen and has very poor reviews, but then again it is only £60.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

I reckon if you can live with the Joggler's resistive screen then you can live with the Archos's! The reviews are generally good apart from the resistive screen.
bigbob

Post by bigbob »

Hey all,
Great work on this, got it installed and setup easily enough, just the downloads from the market which was a little random.
To get it to work, I powered off using the chinese app rather than reboot (after the wipe data step). This was after going through several reboot attempts. Frustrating.

The one thing I really need is the calendar working and syncing. I saw the link previously but that was talking about MfE. Has anyone got the calendar syncing onto the joggler?

Thanks again.
asantaga

Post by asantaga »

dwl99 wrote:I reckon if you can live with the Joggler's resistive screen then you can live with the Archos's! The reviews are generally good apart from the resistive screen.
Actually the joggler's screen is Capacitive.. (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O2_Joggler) and others
Oh and the Archos is £60 for a reason, the screen isnt very good.. but heck £60!
Angelo
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

I stand corrected :-)