new custom Android 2.2.1 Build

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
psionguy

Re: new custom Android 2.2.1 Build

Post by psionguy »

lestar wrote:Hi Asantaga, I am having trouble writing this new Android image to my 4 Gb pen drive. The unpacked size of 'android_joggler1.1_Angel.img' is 4.19Gb on my PC. Would it be possible to do a *slightly* more bare bones version? Or am I doing something wrong?

As an example, I am able to write 'android-joggler-empty-partitions-4Gb.img' to my pendrive, and the size of this is 3.91Gb on my PC. Cheers.

(P.S. I am very excited by these developments. The ZTE Blade was my first foray into Android, I follow the Modaco website, and I think Android on the Joggler is going to be a winner for me).
I am also having problems writing this image to my 4 gb drive, get the message that there is not enough room on my drive. File size is 4.19 and my drive after format is 3.70, win32 image writer will just not let me continue, any help would be appresiated.
asantaga

Post by asantaga »

guys not sure..

I've just loaded the image in ubuntu, and shrunk the SD partition to 1.1Gb (instead of 1.7gb) and when I use w32image it still creates a file of 4.19Gb.... unfortunatly I dont want to get people to just copy over the files into the android/sd partition because there is some data in the DATA (ext2) partition...

Is there another image tool out there? Alternatively use a 8gb stick...
Angelo
cloudwarrior

Post by cloudwarrior »

I was having problems writing the image - tried all sorts of drives and no luck.
Went to the win32 disk writing site and downloaded the latest version (0.3) and hey presto it worked.
I had been using the win32 writer i got when i first started trying alternative OS.

May be useful to someone!

regards
stephen m

Post by stephen m »

Thanks asantaga for this excellent verion. Installed just as described - albeit a little slow to react to things though. When I hit the home button I get the error message 'activity android system (in progress) not responding. Any ideas why this is and how to resolve it. Also, it states it's connected via wifi, but it's not - ok hard wired though - but a fix would be good.

Just spotted another error message '.....android.process.acore......'
stephen m

Post by stephen m »

Asantaga, rewrote the image to the flash card and all seems ok now. Could still do with a wi-fi fix and updated Market
stuey

Post by stuey »

WiFi working fine - when I turn off wpa /wep.
I'm now trying to mount an extra SD card in my hacked usb port - may have to go the hub root ?

Great effort - thank you
asantaga

Post by asantaga »

ive emailed Mijuu , the original porter, to ask what can be done...
Angelo
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

Hi guys

Thanks for this amazing image.

I mainly use my joggler fr music and since lastfm is working (I am a subscriber) I am thrilled! It was working on Jolicloud but the love/ban feature on squeezeplay did not feed back to last fm.

A few issues:

Google Maps Force Closes instantly
Tried to install Vevo and Tune in Radio and although it downloads OK the installation is unsuccessful. The market seems to be working OK, but i cannot seem to find Spotify. I am in Glasgow by the way. Any ideas?

I am still working my way through some other apps. If I find anything that does not work I will let you know.

Thanks

Michael

Update: I just did a reboot and although the market is working, I cannot get BBC New or Sky News or any other app really. This time it just says Unsuccessful without even downloading it.
asantaga

Post by asantaga »

Tty repeating the titanium trick
Angelo
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

Hi

Did that and some of the functionality returned.

I can run google maps but i still cannot install tune in radio and spotify. Not the end of the world for me but other may be affected.

Additionally, I can run BBC News app but i have 2 issues with it. It only comes in portrait...and it will not download/show any news.

There are a few apps that have only come out in portrait. Any workarounds on these?

Michael
stephen m

Post by stephen m »

stuey wrote:WiFi working fine - when I turn off wpa /wep.
I'm now trying to mount an extra SD card in my hacked usb port - may have to go the hub root ?

Great effort - thank you
Tried this but as soon as the Joggler reboots with the Ethernet cable remove it FCs. Reinsert cable reboot and all's ok again :?:
photize

Post by photize »

Hi can anyone advise whether Flash or web embeded wmv is working on this version of android, (for watching tv in bed :D
asantaga

Post by asantaga »

guys, Im travelling at the moment, but ive just some some googling and apparently dolphin HD browser supports flash.. now not sure if it will work on x86, or if it simply uses the standard flash, but can someone give it a go?
Angelo
stephen m

Post by stephen m »

asantaga, just downloaded and installed Doplhin HD. Seems to be working ok. Will test somewhat more later as off to the gym
stuey

Post by stuey »

With Dolphin HD - I'm playing h.264 'for android' animation are playing okay - but anything HD eg. 720 lines I get the <blue ? brick> - so must be 'old Flash'.

The gesture control is great - so will definitely persevere with Dolphin.

I'm also getting hit or miss downloads with App store - "unable to load latest data' -( Kindle OK - angry bird Not?)
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

Hi guys

I tried Dolphin HD yesterday as well but once again it come out in portrait mode and it is unusable unless I flip the entire joggler vertically.

What I mean with portrait mode is whereas the home screen come out in landscape and the menu bar is on the top horizontal side of the screen, apps like Dolphin HD and BBC News they seem to switch orientation and put the menu bar to the right vertical of the screen. They still fill the whole screen but they are not very user friendly in that mode.

Has anybody else seen this?

Beyond that, I am still getting a lot of successful app downloads but with 'installation unsuccessful' messages. I have done the titanium backup trick a couple of times but this does not seem to help in any way. Do i need to go through the market enabler? If so, what are the steps?

As an aside, the clock seems to unsync when left on idle for a few hours.

Thank you all for your help.

Michael
asantaga

Post by asantaga »

@michaelm for the market enabler steps, look at my first post in this thread
Angelo
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

Thanks asantaga

The market does work and I have been able to download quite a few apps. The reason why I asked is why some are failing to install? For example, LastFM installed and works perfect but TuneIn Radio does not. Similarly, Weather Channel works very well but the WeatherBug does not. BBC News installs but not displaying any news (and it sits with the menu bar to the right - what is that all about?)

I did go though all the steps on post #1 and the market is activated and working so no issues there. I am just surprised at the number of failures in installation.

Michael
stuey

Post by stuey »

In all fairness - I've had similar problems with two other android devices - it usually a 'connectivity issue' - which eventually rights itself in a few days /left on over night with a fresh 'google talk'
asantaga

Post by asantaga »

@MICHAELM With the apps, I think its because most of these apps are built for mobile phones and thus assume , a) Portrait mode and b) ARM CPUs which means they use the Native Dev Kit. Now our Joggler android build is x86 based so the NDK doesnt work and ... well isnt as mature as the ARM 2.2.1 build.. Some people on the web actually call it a "toy" version of android..

That said I think this will change, Intel recently anounced it would be launching some new x86 Android tablets (!), so when that appears they''l amost certainly work on stabilizing the x86 build. and Adobe will port flash (another thing missing) etc etc etc... They are also working really hard on Maemo.. Now The nice think about maemo is that its true linux but BUILT for tablets etc.. so flash already works etc etc etc.. I havent tried it yet, but its certainly worth keeping an eye on..

Ive got an idea, shall I create a seperate thread on what apps work/dont work on the android x86 build? or better still create a wiki page on the main page with this info??? Happy to start it off, if everyone please PMs me what apps work/dont work, I'll collate these over a couple of days and get an inital page up..
Angelo