Wonky Win Woes

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Algo

Wonky Win Woes

Post by Algo »

Hi all!
(And yes, I have read the windows threads!)
Months ago, I tried building my own XP following the Wiki.
After about 10 attempts I still could not get a bootable image.
Trying to download any available pre-built images was frustrating, as they seemed incomplete and would not unzip properly.
I simply gave up!

Today I burnt foshiz-mini.img, popped it into the same joggler used previously!
Bingo! Touchscreen the lot! Brilliant!

Interest revived. I then re-read the wiki, and I hit a point where I lose the plot!
All goes well up to : Part 4: Patching XP & EFI Bootloader
The EFI bit is OK, and I've even got the patch ... Yeah, I know I'm probably missing the dead obvious .... but
Q: how and where do I apply it??

Any help appreciated.
Cheers!
pete

Re: Wonky Win Woes

Post by pete »

I ended up patching xp with bits and pieces that made up the original boot everything ISO (I looked and couldn't find it).....but then I also drifted over to not using the EFI bootloader and using the PATA ZIF SSD thing....removing USB boot thing in the process. The thinning out of XP is well documented and you can create your own "tiny XP" iso...Personally I thinned mine out and used the tablet patching stuff which turned the base xp into a kind of xp pro hybrid tablet OS ....adding my own stuff though relating to speech touchscreen stuff...am testing / playing with a few wintel applications on the devices as I drive my wife nuts ...sometimes they do talk when they shouldn't....here I have used nLite for my stuff....its free and it works well....at cooking your own base OS...with just the right ingredients (chief like)

....that said though you can stick with the original stuff to work with the image you have booting....keep making a backup of it as you tweak it for your own purpose...

You really can't break it with a bootable flash in a socket chip.....it is well built inside and really easy to make changes to it with the documentation here on the forum and wiki ....
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
Algo

Post by Algo »

Hi Pete,
Thanks for the quick response.
Way above my skill level ...sorry :-)

I got an Install ISO: XP08-TinyXP-Rev11-IE8-WMP11-Unattended-Install.iso
I get through the WVM installation process http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
as far as part 4.
I just need to know: where and how to apply the patch (and what it does).
...sometimes they do talk when they shouldn't
Had to think about that for a moment!
Do you mean that background noise that always goes on when you REALLY need to concentrate? :-)
pete

Post by pete »

The "patching" takes you to a go or no go to the Joggler booting stuff.
Once patched, XP will not run on either a virtual or physical machine.
Once you have patched it you cannot play until you are booting the image on the Joggler. You are making hard changes customized for the Joggler. Test it out and watch what happens...personally I always do that when playing with this or that computer stuff...(deliberating breaking "things")...you can't really break anything but your time...

Mevi practiced and tested this out many times in vivo before, during and after he wrote the wiki.... and so did Dan and many other folks on the forum (great bunch of guys you know)..

Yup sometimes the Jogglers have a mind of their own....or its just me forgetting the why, what and if pieces of whatever (age thing....)
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
Algo

Post by Algo »

Hi Pete,
Sounds like good advice, thanks.
Though doing that, I usually end up
1) completely ignoring things outside of my field of vision/thought
2) in the doghouse

Thanks again.

Alistair
pete

Post by pete »

Yes; me too sometimes...just now as a break somewhat....doing this and just finishing right before I started to write again....

...realigning a door this morning shimming the hinges with some plastic (raided my wife's tupperware).

Real pita because door is a bit heavy and only shifted it maybe 1-2mm enough to cause some issues with the door latch ...house is settling some...and I did it without removing the door off of its hinges....and its a high WAF priority thing right now (even though I said I would fix it a month or two ago)
- Pete

Auto mater
Algo

Post by Algo »

Hi Pete,
Off topic I know, but....
With door catch misalignment, I have had good results from:
a) loosen the hinge screws a turn,
b) put a wedge under the door, lifting it a touch.
c) then, simply use longer screws (or beefier thread) on the hinges.
Shimms always slip unless you drill/screw through them.

Hah! DIY heaven!
pete

Post by pete »

Thank-you Alistair.

Yup; only removed one of three hinges. Pin first then both plates. I put toothpicks in the holes anyways jamming them in there. I then cut out a strip from a plastic container I found to use as shims (took it really from the wife's cache) (2 strips a little bit smaller than the hinge). I then used a little bit of double stick tape to keep the plastic in place while I drilled holes through the plastic. I did too use two of four longer screws .

Looking at it after being done; I don't think I raised it too much. That said I will be taking your advice on raising the door a bit with a wedge and redoing it. Its an all glass door with a heavy wood frame around it. Think its been sinking a bit on one side for years now. The issue now though is the lock doesn't catch correction; mostly because of the droopy side of the door.
- Pete

Auto mater
ProfX_OpenFrame7

Post by ProfX_OpenFrame7 »

Dear Pete_C, and all users,

i'm from Brazil. I and my friends from Forum HardMob started in OpenFrame7 (Orby in Brazil).
I buy 4units form Orby and I like use the DECT Voip chip, voip and calling function of the Orby.

like too install other OS like Android in the Orby.

the company of Telephone Services discontinate the device and no support.

I've read several posts on the forums international Joggler.
I ask your help with information and tips to succeed using Voip DECT and update the OS and upgrade the hardware of this device so cool.

I have several ideas that I would like to share with you.

I do not speak English. Forgive my English wrong.
grateful hug, ProfX
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

I always check back now and again, and to see a fellow kent person using foshiz mini is amazing lol, have not played with the joggler in a while, have a couple of new hobbies keeping me busy, but will help out how I can dude, if can remember lol :)
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
Algo

Post by Algo »

@ Donfoshizzle:
Many thanks for the kind offer, but I got there in the end! It was embarrasingly simple ...just use the patches! :roll:
I'm down in Canterbury and am still playing happily with a few jogglers. If I'm up your way I'll buy you a coffee (or pint!).
Next, I want to try USB out to the new Naim DAC-V1 via Triodes EDO.

My thanks to all the guys who's software hacks have made all this fun possible!

Alistair