BBC iPlayer/Live/Podcast/Categories Player - UPDATED June 15

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
bloggsey

Re: BBC iPlayer/Live/Podcast/Categories Player - UPDATED Jun

Post by bloggsey »

Nice try, found apps, in appshop but I think this is not the original but the corrupted file from the early script, anyway it is no go.
spoyser

Post by spoyser »

@bloggsey

Can you post the output of cat /media/appshop/applications.xml and we can see what is wrong, the file should be of this form:

<applications>
<app id = etc />
<app id = etc />
<app id = etc />
<app id = etc />
<app id = etc />
<app id = etc />
<app id = etc />
</applications>
bloggsey

Post by bloggsey »

Spoyser, can't connect to joggler now I guess IP has changed, I am new to all this sorry for misunderstanding, do I check router for IP?
bloggsey

Post by bloggsey »

Ok managed to get in, is this ok? .original and .xml are the same, don't know how to copy exact list

applications>
<app id = 250 />
<app id = 267 />
<app id = 268 />
<app id = 271 />
<app id = 252/>

<app id = 250/>
<app id+"iPlayer
</applications
spoyser

Post by spoyser »

@bloggsey

I've pm'ed you
Paul Webster

Post by Paul Webster »

Suggestion - since BBC (currently at least) blocks access to TV content via iPlayer for viewers outside of UK, but does allow access to radio - how about having a separate tab/link/install for TV & radio - then those without TV access can get to the radio parts more easily (no scroll down) and if hidden completely they would not be continually reminded of what they cannot get to.
BBC does have plans to make access to TV content for non-UK users - by subscription (and a small amount of content without subscription - as teasers) - so would be good to take another look at it then.
Ben

Post by Ben »

I wasn't able to open any TV streams on the iplayer app this morning? Anyone else having issues? I rebooted tge Joggler and router, plus the 'net was working for browsing - so doesn't appear to be a localised gremlin. Wonder if it's associated with the BBC having released/announced a new version of iplayer. Or too coincidental?
gegs

Post by gegs »

Ben wrote:I wasn't able to open any TV streams on the iplayer app this morning? Anyone else having issues? I rebooted tge Joggler and router, plus the 'net was working for browsing - so doesn't appear to be a localised gremlin. Wonder if it's associated with the BBC having released/announced a new version of iplayer. Or too coincidental?
I'm watching iPlayer on the Joggler as I type. I've tried live and on demand streams and they've all worked so far. Perhaps iPlayer servers were unavailable for a while - it has been known.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thanks. I'll try it again tonight. For what it's worth it was between about 6:15/7:45 that it wasn't working for us.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Back to normal tonight :-)
Avman

Post by Avman »

The app shows fine and loads on my stock OS, when it loads I get the preview page and can choose "top 10" however anything I choose just presents a white screen with a power/close button in the top right. I tried waiting a while just in case its a loading phase but nothing every happens.
Any ideas?
spoyser

Post by spoyser »

Sounds like your internet connection.

What do you mean by "top 10" I was unaware of anything like that?

Does this link work from your PC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/emp/10player.swf?c ... one_london

This is the exact same live BBC One (and settings) stream used by the app.
Avman

Post by Avman »

sorry my not be a top 10, I'm not near the joggler at the moment. I'll post some pics,

internet was fine but the joggler was acting a little slow after recent changes so it possible but I have tried it over a couple of days with the same result.

Is there anyway I can make the changes I read about to raise the throttling temp and stop the general audio crackle in the stock OS?. I have found how to do this in Ubuntu but the string doesn't work when connected via SSH to the native OS.
I get the error message Sudo not found when trying

sudo nano -w /boot/grub.cfg
Avman

Post by Avman »

spoyser wrote:

yes it does, the iplayer seems a little more stable on the joggler as I can listen to radio podcasts but when I try to watch something live like BBC 1 i get 'bbc 1 is not available at this time' on a splash screen. This is the same for all live streams.
Avman

Post by Avman »

Avman wrote:
Is there anyway I can make the changes I read about to raise the throttling temp and stop the general audio crackle in the stock OS?. I have found how to do this in Ubuntu but the string doesn't work when connected via SSH to the native OS.

has anyone got any ideas on how to do this?
gegs

Post by gegs »

The easiest way to edit files on the stock OS is to use WinSCP on your PC. You need SCP installed on the Joggler, which I think is installed by default with Plug'n'Pimp. P'n'P gets a lot of unnecessarily bad press on this forum but I've never had any problems with it.

I've already written about WinSCP on this thread: http://bit.ly/n50W2t

Once you've installed WinSCP, you can access the Joggler files using its two-pane file manager. If you want to edit a file, browse to it, double click on it, the file will open, make the changes and then save. You might need to enter your password when you try to save the file, but that's it! Easier than all that command line stuff.

As you've noticed, although the Joggler is linux based, it isn't a full linux distribution and not all of the usual tools will be available on the stock OS.
Avman

Post by Avman »

thanks,

I can't find the relevant files in the directory, assuming the files are different because the OS is different but non of the config files have a 'splash' section in where you would normally alter the line.
has anyone done this with the stock os?, I don't want to start messing around with config files unless I know what I'm doing :-).
Avman

Post by Avman »

spoyser wrote:

This link works but I have tried the iPlayer on 2 different jogglers in 2 different properties with 2 different ISP's with the same results. All the live streams just display "xxxx is not available at the moment" with xxx being the channel you have selected.

stored iPLayer stuff does seem to work fine.

The connection speed is measuring 2mb and 4mb to different machines. Is it likely to be the available download speed ?, us country folk don't have fiber or anything faster than 4mb :-(.
gegs

Post by gegs »

Avman wrote:
Avman wrote:

has anyone got any ideas on how to do this?
I'm pretty sure the temperature throttling only works on linux based distros that have a grub bootloader. I don't think there's a way to do it on the stock OS (and I personally wouldn't) but one of the clever people on the forum might prove me wrong.

There is an asound.conf file on the stock OS which, if memory serves me well, is in /etc/asound.conf - edit it using WinSCP if you can; it's the easiest way.

spoyser gives the asound.conf audio crackle fix on this thread http://bit.ly/oONwPJ
Avman

Post by Avman »

thanks gregs,

really apprecaite the comments.

in regards to the iplayer app. If I install the Iplayer version through PnP which only seems to install the live streaming version the live streams ork fine but of course I then don't have acces to the stored iPlayer streams.

Any ideas?