Reflashing Tool for the O2 Joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
roobarb!

Re: Reflashing Tool for the O2 Joggler

Post by roobarb! »

jnix wrote:Any ideas much appreciated
Try more USB sticks. Everything looks fine up until 'EXT2-fs (sda2): error ...', which is definitely a filesystem problem.

Basically, if you look back through the thread, most of the recent posts are the result of errors which all stem from USB stick problems! ;)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
jnix

Post by jnix »

Thanks for the quick reply - I'd seen different sticks could cause problems but after you confirmed I tried several more. It worked with the 5th -just goes to show, you can never have too many USB sticks :D

Thanks again
Beaker

Post by Beaker »

Finally!
After around 100 attempts, visits to the shops for more USB sticks and many expletives I have finally done it.
I was getting the error message "ALERT! /dev/disk/by-label/rfl-root does not exist. Dropping to a shell" every time. :cry:

Re-downloaded the reflashing tool and squeezebox files and it worked first time. :D

PS I have lots of USB sticks or sale!
jkn

Post by jkn »

Hi there (roobarb? ;-)
this is a bit of a half-question, until I get a bit more info...

I have been doing a bit of H/W hacking on one of my Jogglers - connecting to two of the otherwise unused internal USB ports, as described eg. here:

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/Additional_USB_Ports

I've added one USB socket to the first set of points mentioned on that page, and hard-wired a small DAC (hot-glued to the back of the Joggler) to the second set of points. Prior to this work I had put the last Openpeak firmware on this Joggler.

The HW work seems to have gone OK and when I powered up the joggler the openpeak firmware started up. My next task was to put PNP III back on, and as part of that I used the birdslikewires reflashing tool, as successfully used several times. I have a 'known good' ;-) USB drive which has the 'reflash/repart' file present etc.

This booted up on this Joggler fine, and went through doing its good work. I had troulbe installing PNP III for some reason, an ended up going through the reflashing again, leaving the Joggler on its own for an hour or so. When I came back the joggler screen was blank; I powered it down, and rebooted it. It came back up to the OpenPeak logo, but got no further.

Since then, the reflashing pendrive seems not to work at all. I'm now seem to be at the point where I have the OpenPeak logo coming up, but cannot get any further, even with my 'known good' pendrive and the reflashing SW. I was starting to suspect the pendrive but the MD5sums all seem to be fine. I remade the pendrive and tried another one, all without success.

I appreciate that the fact I have been doing some hacking means that there may be a HW problem here which is causing what I'm seeing ... but I doubt it, to be honest. I do have half an idea what I'm doing on the HW and can see no evidence of any actual problems with these mods.

So ... the point of this posting is to wonder whether I have to resort to the USB hub/keyboard angle. This will be annoying as I don't own either of these (although I can probably borrow them). I can understand (say) that having the DAC hard-wired might screw up the boot drive assignation - but in that case why did the reflash tool work OK at least once, and then fail to operate?

If it's of any use, I notice that when I power up the Joggler, the activity LED on the reflashing pendrive flashes briefly a couple of times, then after a few tens of seconds flashes again slowly, and then ... nothing.

Thanks for any pointers - and for the tool in the first place!

Cheers
J^n
dan_h

Post by dan_h »

Hi Roobarb

I am a complete beginner at this re-flashing business although had a Joggler (supplied by Dave) for about 18 months and love it! Glad I bit the bullet as now have a second and now successfully reflashed Joggler - (preparing for a friend). Phew! Next step PNP III...

Thanks for the handy instructions and guidance v much appreciated!!

:D
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

dan_h wrote:Thanks for the handy instructions and guidance v much appreciated!!

:D
No problem! Must update some stuff soon, but it'll be a few weeks before I'm back in Jogglerland. This OpenFrame 2 keeps looking at me accusingly! :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
atinwi

stuck in this; initramfs

Post by atinwi »

Hello peeps.. Anyone can help me please?
I am not really very good at this, I have created 3 USB sticks all 3 with this result.. initramfs
Any clever people out there? thanks !!
Attachments
IMG_20130421_141815.jpg
HooterMan

Post by HooterMan »

Hi there,
I have exactly the same issue, although mine is exacerbated by the many, many tiny lines running vertically through my screen (see my thread on display issues!). I thought the reflash might reset any display issues but can get no further than atinwi's brick wall. I've a feeling it might be down to incompatible USB sticks but I'll wait for someone more knowledgable to confirm!
pete

Post by pete »

Looks like something is missing to me.

Here is a thread which is a bit related and unrelated but may help:

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... &start=120

I don't utilize a USB hub when I am using the reflashing tool (that is me though). Works great with the USB stick stuck into the side of the Joggler. Don't really need a keyboard or mouse when reflashing.

It is nice to see roobarb!'s status "in vivo" verbiage as the reflashing progresses.

Attached are pictures of the directory that I can see in MS Windows of the updating stick named rfl-boot.

I did have an issue a while back with one of the versions of win32 image writer writing trash to a stick. I couldn't get to seeing the stick afterwards though. Not sure why. I did then go back to writing the USB stick with USB Image tool (Windows).

I do have this wierd self induced regimented process (stuck in my head these days) which I:

In MS Windows: (if you are using windows to write the image to the stick)
1 - Format the stick with HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool first.
2 - Write the reflashing tool for the O2 Joggler to the stick using USB Image tool.
3 - Open the directory and copy over my two flashing files (attached is my SB stuff)

In Linux: (if you want to use linux to check the stick)
1 - check the USB stick with GParted (for good measure)

I did have a bad stick a bit ago that had some sector errors when I tested it and they wouldn't away.
Attachments
rfl-boot-2.jpg
rfl-boot-1.jpg
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
atinwi

Post by atinwi »

Thanks... I use a mac... Maybe this is the problem?
HooterMan

Post by HooterMan »

I use a mac too but the guide has instructions for mac (which I followed pretty closely!) so maybe the computer's not the problem....?

Any other suggestions?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

I wrote the reflasher on a Mac, so it shouldn't be that! ;)

The Joggler is booting fine, but it's then not finding the root partition which actually contains the operating system. It searches for it by name, so there's no chance that you're somehow changing this, is there?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

The USB stick is appearing to the system as /dev/sda (from the screenshot). You could try editing the grub.conf file on rfl-boot and set the part of the line with 'root=' to 'root=/dev/sda2'. Jut substitute the 'by label' stuff.

Sorry if that doesn't make too much sense, but I'm posting from my phone so can't give a proper example!
atinwi

Post by atinwi »

Maybe it is the name!

At this stage:

"Open a Terminal window and run sudo diskutil list to find your device name. Then:

sudo umount -f /dev/diskX*
gzip -dc joggler_reflash_<version>.img.gz | sudo dd of=/dev/rdiskX bs=1m
Where diskX is your USB device."

do i need to replace <version> with'109'

or keep it as
<version>?
If I am using joggler_reflash_109.img.gz ??

Thanks for your help.
atinwi

Post by atinwi »

roobarb! wrote:The USB stick is appearing to the system as /dev/sda (from the screenshot). You could try editing the grub.conf file on rfl-boot and set the part of the line with 'root=' to 'root=/dev/sda2'. Jut substitute the 'by label' stuff.

Sorry if that doesn't make too much sense, but I'm posting from my phone so can't give a proper example!
Sorry. I am not up to speed enough to understand this too well!
I set to grub.cfg file to this:

set timeout=0
menuentry "O2 Joggler Reflashing Tool v1.09" {
linux /vmlinuz-3.2.21jog1 root=root=/dev/sda2 ro quiet
initrd /initrd.img-3.2.21jog1
}
and I got this:
2.jpg
HooterMan

Post by HooterMan »

I altered the grub.cfg and ended up with the same initramfs problem that atinwi first posted. Sorry if these are dead basic issues. I'm not terribly well versed in all this kinda stuff!!

Cheers,

HooterMan
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

atinwi wrote:
I set to grub.cfg file to this:

set timeout=0
menuentry "O2 Joggler Reflashing Tool v1.09" {
linux /vmlinuz-3.2.21jog1 root=root=/dev/sda2 ro quiet
initrd /initrd.img-3.2.21jog1
}
root=/dev/sda2

not root=root=/dev/sda2
HooterMan

Post by HooterMan »

I set mine as root=/dev/sda2 and had no luck. Any other suggestions?

Thanks all

H-Man
pete

Post by pete »

I have had the issue where for whatever reason the write of the image leaves a little do what do nothing extra partiton before the first one on the USB stick which doesn't ever make any sense to me when it happens. This though is where I have taken to "scrubbing" the USB stick with GParted.

Way back too I had the issue of a non matching MD5 file (extra period or some change there; forgot now).

Personally; my opinion; boot up with Linux on your laptop; use a "rescue" ISO and have a good look at the USB stick as formatted and configured; tell us what you see.

Here I have one "free" USB stick that I got from some vendor a few years back. It has a "boot" partition on it that I never did get rid of no matter what I did to it. Its just an advertisement for the vendor cleverly installed on the stick with some only read only access; I never did take it apart though to see if there was a physical switch on the circuit board of the USB stick.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
HooterMan

Post by HooterMan »

Brilliant! Have finally managed to reflash. It was all down to the (probably very rudimentary) matter of partitions on the USB stick I was using. In disk utility I erased all partitions on it by clicking the - button in the Partition section. The disk was then unmounted so I didn't need the sudo umount -f /dev/diskX* in Terminal.

It hasn't remedied the display issues I have, but I'm going to carry on playing.

Thanks for everyone's help!

H-Man