Reflashing Tool for the O2 Joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
roobarb!

Reflashing Tool for the O2 Joggler

Post by roobarb! »

-------------------------
Reflash System
New Version Available Here!
-------------------------

The Reflashing Tool is designed to be a reliable method of reflashing the O2 Joggler, even in the event that the internal flash memory has had it’s partitions destroyed. The Joggler is remarkably robust and will continue to boot from external USB devices even when the internal memory has given up, so unless you have a hardware failure or EFI problem this should get things working again.

In addition, this system can also be used to write a completely different operating system to the internal memory, such as SqueezePlay OS. Please note that the alternative OS should have been designed to run from the internal memory. You could potentially flash anything, but not everything will work.

Full instructions are on the site, but briefly:

1. Download the Reflashing System from the link above and write it to a USB device of at least 2GB capacity.

- If you wish to restore the original (O2) operating system:
2. Download the latest Reflash Script and (optionally) the original OpenPeak O2 image, then copy them both to the reflash directory on rfl-boot.

- If you wish to write an alternative image file, such as SqueezePlay OS:
2. Simply copy both the .img.gz and .img.gz.md5 files to the reflash directory on rfl-boot.

3. Power off your Joggler and insert the USB stick into the side socket.

4. Power on your Joggler and watch.

The reflashing system talks you through what's happening on screen, so even if something goes wrong you should be able to post the output here and we can help you out.

The Reflashing Tool has now been extensively tested on many Jogglers, with a high degree of success. However, this software is used entirely at your own risk and will not repair a Joggler where the internal flash memory has become worn or damaged. If the internal memory has failed, you will no longer be able to run the default operating system, but there are many alternatives available that work extremely well from a USB storage device.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
BuZz
Site Admin

Re: Reflashing Tool for the O2 Joggler

Post by BuZz »

Cool stuff! I added a link to this to the sticky thread also.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

What a star!
danjog2

Post by danjog2 »

Just done this using the Windows instructions all recovered, except the bleeping joggler still goes into the "Updates have finished, will now reboot" loop.
So infuriating...

Thanks for making this tool, I feel like I'm closer, just not quite close enough.
AshleyGiles

Post by AshleyGiles »

I have followed all of the instructions and my Joggler is displaying 'Stalling for network..' and has been for some time. Is this normal?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

AshleyGiles wrote:I have followed all of the instructions and my Joggler is displaying 'Stalling for network..' and has been for some time. Is this normal?
That's normal if you've got no wired internet connection to your Joggler or it has not received an address by DHCP. You'll need to add the reimage file to the USB stick by hand. The instructions describe how to do this.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

danjog2 wrote:Just done this using the Windows instructions all recovered, except the bleeping joggler still goes into the "Updates have finished, will now reboot" loop.
So infuriating...

Thanks for making this tool, I feel like I'm closer, just not quite close enough.
That is very interesting. Could you post a picture of the message? It must be something held in the Joggler's NVRAM, because if the reflash has completed then the internal memory has been completely wiped.
danjog2

Post by danjog2 »

I'll do that
AshleyGiles

Post by AshleyGiles »

My Joggler said that the reflashing process was complete so I powered off, removed the flash drive and powered on and its still just freezes on the 02 boot screen. Does this mean it hasn't/won't work or do I just need to use a better flash drive?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

AshleyGiles wrote:My Joggler said that the reflashing process was complete so I powered off, removed the flash drive and powered on and its still just freezes on the 02 boot screen. Does this mean it hasn't/won't work or do I just need to use a better flash drive?
Did the reflash sections complete successfully? There will be three rounds where it should count up to 100%, plus rebuilding the boot partition. This should take a good few minutes. Afterwards an initial boot can take up to five minutes.

If things happened as described, I'm not sure what else may be wrong with your Joggler, unless it's NVRAM or EFI related.
danjog2

Post by danjog2 »

roobarb! wrote:
danjog2 wrote:Just done this using the Windows instructions all recovered, except the bleeping joggler still goes into the "Updates have finished, will now reboot" loop.
So infuriating...

That is very interesting. Could you post a picture of the message? It must be something held in the Joggler's NVRAM, because if the reflash has completed then the internal memory has been completely wiped.
Here it is:

https://sites.google.com/site/placetodu ... Screen.jpg

This comes up after I ran the reflasher, and was in the process of giving the Joggler my name, phone number and email.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

This comes up after I ran the reflasher, and was in the process of giving the Joggler my name, phone number and email.
It has to be reading that from somewhere else other than the flash memory. Perhaps there's something running that checks the NVRAM for a marker for a 'successful update', then triggers a reboot in the process of which the NVRAM flag should be removed, but never is.

I'm the in the process of putting together another release of the reimaging tool that also zaps the NVRAM. It'll be another couple of hundred meg to download I'm afraid, but I've made this version easier to update in the future. I'll post back when it's online.
danjog2

Post by danjog2 »

roobarb! wrote:

It has to be reading that from somewhere else other than the flash memory. Perhaps there's something running that checks the NVRAM for a marker for a 'successful update', then triggers a reboot in the process of which the NVRAM flag should be removed, but never is.

I'm the in the process of putting together another release of the reimaging tool that also zaps the NVRAM. It'll be another couple of hundred meg to download I'm afraid, but I've made this version easier to update in the future. I'll post back when it's online.
Thanks roobarb! ! It will be nice to get my joggle back - pretty sure it was pmj doing something unexpected...
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Version 1.03 should be up now. Not had chance to checksum it on the server tho, so fingers crossed it's okay.

This version brings NVRAM zapping and moves the flashing script to make upgrades easier in the future.
Utakos

Post by Utakos »

Reflashing tool link give "404" error is there a problem with the new flash tool?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Utakos wrote:Reflashing tool link give "404" error is there a problem with the new flash tool?
Nope, just a problem with the link you're using. If you reload http://birdslikewires.co.uk/articles/jogglerflash you should find that it works.
danjog2

Post by danjog2 »

Just downloaded the new version roobarb! Gonna give it a go soon.
danjog2

Post by danjog2 »

ok - all went well, after it reflashed successfully with 1.03 I got a brand new joggler screen. Entered my name, mobile & email. Everything still ok, so I connect wirelessly to my network. As soon as the internet connection is made, the flaming joggler brings up the familiar "updates have finished joggler will now reboot" and it just reboots over and over again. Bizarrely there seems to be some flag that survives the flashing process...
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

danjog2 wrote:ok - all went well, after it reflashed successfully with 1.03 I got a brand new joggler screen. Entered my name, mobile & email. Everything still ok, so I connect wirelessly to my network. As soon as the internet connection is made, the flaming joggler brings up the familiar "updates have finished joggler will now reboot" and it just reboots over and over again. Bizarrely there seems to be some flag that survives the flashing process...
Now that is bizarre. I'm not sure anything is surviving the reflash process, as it's at the point at which you regained a network connection that it went wrong.

Something you could try is downloading the SSH tool I've posted about before and then reflashing your Joggler again, but not reconnecting to the network until you have disconnected that network from the internet. Then, use the SSH tool to gain access, log in to the Joggler with a Terminal app and run:

Code: Select all

nvram -a
And post the output here. While you're there there's also some code in /etc/init (I think, this is all from memory) that governs whether an update is fetched. You could comment that out. Then reconnect to the 'net and see what happens...

Very strange predicament this one!
danjog2

Post by danjog2 »

that sounds daunting! I'll pluck up my courage and try at the weekend, best do it without a "work head" on.