Reflashing Tool for the O2 Joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
gegs

Re: Reflashing Tool for the O2 Joggler

Post by gegs »

NickC wrote:Currently I have one joggler that still does what I want it to do and have managed to add 2 more by reflashing birdslikewires-stylee back to the 6-25-11 S3 build. However I cannot telnet to any of these devices...
A reflashed O2 build Joggler does not have telnet/SSH installed by default. Reflash and add PnPIII as per offbeatdave's instructions for the original O2 build, not the telnet/SSH instructions for the Openpeak build.

If you install PnPIII by burning the image to a USB stick [EDIT -- the previous statement is nonsense, just copy the uncompressed files to a formatted USB stick], it will install automatically when you boot with the stick inserted. Be patient though; it can take 20 mins or so and you will be stuck with O2 against black and no visual confirmation that the install is actually working until it boots into the new OS at the end of the process.

PnPIII has SSH by default. If you want to telnet to the original O2 software without PnPIII, you can use the SSH/SCP enabler from http://birdslikewires.co.uk/. This won't install on the Openpeak software I believe, only the O2 build.
Last edited by gegs on Wed May 30, 2012 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NickC

Post by NickC »

Thanks very much for the quick reply - I am so thick its depressing, I've just downloaded PnP3 3.034 and uncompressed it - but there is no IMG file and the instructions say to copy it to USB rather than as you say burning the image to a stick with win32diskimager for example....
gegs

Post by gegs »

Apologies for the inaccuracy. My previous post written while tired and under the influence of a couple of glasses of wine (it was my daughter's birthday). Yes, you're correct, just copy the files over to a formatted USB stick and use it to boot from. If you uncompress the archive to a folder, copy the contents of that folder to the stick.

The rest of the stuff is valid (i.e. be patient and wait until the new OS boots).
NickC

Post by NickC »

Cheers (literally)! I did that before but will do it again now and make sure I am very very patient! Will report back but thanks for your help
NickC

Post by NickC »

Cheers (literally)! I did that before but will do it again now and make sure I am very very patient! Will report back but thanks for your help

UPDATE: Yessss! My joggler has just booted up in glorious PnP3 techicolour. Thanks so much Gegs - I don't know why the earlier set of files on my stick didn't boot (yes I made sure all hidden files were copied) but copying the latest set to the same stick and success first time :D
NickC

Post by NickC »

hmm. having succeeded with one, the next two are doing what I had before which is seemingly ignoring the stick and booting into 8686.S3 with no PnPIII. One is O2 the other is Openpeak. About to try #4.

Doh! Would that be the file now on my stick saying 'remove for new installs'.... :oops: trying again

edit: Yes it would... :)
gegs

Post by gegs »

Congratulations! roobarb and offbeatdave have done us a great service providing these tools. I know offbeatdave insists he is repackaging the work of others (who also deserve our thanks) but it is very handy to have things packaged so neatly without having to SSH into our Jogglers and run squillions of commands ourselves.
NickC

Post by NickC »

seconded and thirded. Now have 5 happy jogglers and am extremely grateful to all the brains behind this forum - it was especially enjoyable to watch iPlayer on one whilst waiting on the others.. (having missed the start of the second series of Silk)

Now I just have to figure out the right joggler approach to xAP vs FHEM for my home heating / cctv automation....
verg0

Post by verg0 »

@roobarb! The new flashing tool won't work on my joggler with the openpeak efi btw, the older version works tho?...

any ideas?
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

verg0 wrote:@roobarb! The new flashing tool won't work on my joggler with the openpeak efi btw, the older version works tho?...

any ideas?

That must have been the problem with my joggler , no matter what i tried the best i could get was the ability to boot off a USB stick ; tried several times but still i was stuck on O2 logo at the end of it .
I managed in the end to get my sickly Joggler back working by doing the following ;
Reflash using the Openpeak tool which was available on here for a while .
Then flash again using Roobarbs reflashing tool , then finally ,
Flash the PnP III on top of that .
I now have a very happy Joggler with the PnP III running on it ( excellent stuff )

Many thanks to all concerned who have put in countless hours of good work so that we have the tools to be able to rescue our little gadgets .
Cheers
Happy Joggling
verg0

Post by verg0 »

I deleated the old version of the reflashing tool that worked (i think it wa called ubuntulucid or something???) anyway, i just loaded buzzes ubuntu up and mounted a ciffs share to ./mnt then:

dd if=/mnt/backup_02os_hacked_17-05-11.img of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=10M

of the o2 software (rooted version) i made ages ago! :)
gadget_hunter

Post by gadget_hunter »

hawsey wrote:
verg0 wrote:@roobarb! The new flashing tool won't work on my joggler with the openpeak efi btw, the older version works tho?...

any ideas?

That must have been the problem with my joggler , no matter what i tried the best i could get was the ability to boot off a USB stick ; tried several times but still i was stuck on O2 logo at the end of it .
I managed in the end to get my sickly Joggler back working by doing the following ;
Reflash using the Openpeak tool which was available on here for a while .
Then flash again using Roobarbs reflashing tool , then finally ,
Flash the PnP III on top of that .
I now have a very happy Joggler with the PnP III running on it ( excellent stuff )

Many thanks to all concerned who have put in countless hours of good work so that we have the tools to be able to rescue our little gadgets .
Cheers
Last night, I tried Hawsey's method and flashed my two jogglers, which I though would never get their internal memory back to life ( tried before in several ways including keyboard trick when required, cold warm, sun or rain only with Roobarb's reflashing tool with no success. As mentioned by Roobarb there are a few joggler out there which won't boot after reflash) First try and voila, both booted again from their internal memory. One I flashed as well with Offbeatdave's PnP III; perfect. The other one failed to flash PnP III. Unfortunately the same flashing method I used before won't work again. It is one with an Openpeak boot logo which seems a bit of a stuborn kind. Only wondering what made it boot at the first time?
Flashing method:
1. Flashing with Openpeak flash image from 30.04.12 ( will not boot after reflashing- tried it)
2. Flashing with Roobarb's reflashing tool ( will boot strait into the old openpeak OS)
3. Flashing with Offbeatdave's PnP III
Question to all our hard working programmer of this fantastic forum :) : What kicks in while using the Openpeak flashing tool which results in a successful reflash at the end?
gegs

Post by gegs »

Did you delete the "remove_for_new_install" file that's created when you use PnP III?
This should be deleted before running again on another Joggler. It might explain why it worked on one Joggler but not another.
gadget_hunter

Post by gadget_hunter »

gegs wrote:Did you delete the "remove_for_new_install" file that's created when you use PnP III?
This should be deleted before running again on another Joggler. It might explain why it worked on one Joggler but not another.
Yes, I deleted this file before using it for a new reflash. The question is: what makes it now not reboot again after step 2? A simple reflash with roobarb's reflashing tool never worked on this joggler on it's own before. Only the method step 1 and 2 brought it back for one time :( Still trying it all over again, but currently without success.
gegs

Post by gegs »

Weird!
Are you reflashing with a local copy of the old O2 image or is your reflash tool attempting to download it each time?
I've only ever reflashed with a local image.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

I've had massively variable experiences with the internal flash memory, it has to be said. Currently I'm fighting with the install method for sqpOS and there's not much rhyme or reason to what works - and what works once, doesn't always work twice. Very annoying.

I have found the 'just dd a whole image onto the thing' approach pretty good, but not wanting to redistribute OpenPeak's software without their say-so led to the approach that the reflashing tool takes (ie. grabbing the software from them separately). When the completed update is available I'd like to have a dig through it's reflash method (if it works more successfully than mine).
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
gadget_hunter

Post by gadget_hunter »

gegs wrote:Weird!
Are you reflashing with a local copy of the old O2 image or is your reflash tool attempting to download it each time?
I've only ever reflashed with a local image.
Yes, with a local image. Have three joggler, which I bought as a bulk defective on ebay. All the usual faults as we know here on the forum.(ie. white start screen when cold, no boot from internal memory). One I got back to life straight away with a standard reflash. The other came back with the method described above. Unfortunately this was a one off recovery for one of them. Anyway, it still has the usb boot option.
Will wait until the openpeak update will be released next week or so and will give it a new try again.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

It's update time!

The Reflashing Tool has gone through some changes, which leave it with more functionality than it had previously. It can still reflash a Joggler back to the original (O2) operating system, but now it can write any image file at all onto the internal storage.

Now that doesn't mean you should write any image at all to the internal storage. The image file should be specifically created to run from internal memory, otherwise you are likely to run in to all sorts of problems. It was primarily done to provide an easy way to put the soon-to-be-released SqueezePlay OS v1.05 onto the internal flash, but I can see it being handy for anybody's image in the future.

To write an image file, it simply has to be gzip compressed (ie. <name_of_image>.img.gz) and be accompanied by a checksum file which contains the output of md5sum (ie. <name_of_image>.img.gz.md5). The Joggler's internal flash is exactly 1028128768 bytes in size, which should be the uncompressed size of your image file.

There's been quite a bit of work put into these updates, so if you find them useful I hope it's not too cheeky to ask that you take a look at my contributions page. Even a pat on the back in a thread would go down a treat. ;)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
eduponesarris

Post by eduponesarris »

Roobarb, I have successfully flashed one of my jogglers, the other one appears goosed, following the instructions to put the squeezeplayer OS on it instead of the Open Peak image. However, all it is doing is installing the stock OS. I have copied the internal memory gz file and md5 file, tried it with the openpeak image, then deleted it and tried again, still getting the stock OS.. I had a look at the flash script and it references the original image gz file and apparently not the sqpos105mmc file. I assume I am not following instructions clearly enough to get Squeezeplay OS on the internal..
J
roobarb!

Reflashing Tool for the O2 Joggler

Post by roobarb! »

Delete the jogglerflash.sh script. If you want to put sqpOS on your internal storage, you should not have the jogglerflash.sh script in the reflash directory - just the .img.gz and .img.gz.md5 files.

Maybe I should consider renaming the script, as it's only used for the O2 OS.