Reflashing Tool for the O2 Joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
rjdavies47

Re: Reflashing Tool for the O2 Joggler

Post by rjdavies47 »

I need to reflash my Joggler after things went wrong running PnP III. I have completed the first stage in the steps described in http://birdslikewires.co.uk/articles/jogglerflash, following the instructions given for OS X. But I have no idea how to access the USB stick to copy the files into the "reflash" directory on it.

How do I mount the USB stick to copy the files to it? I will be extremely grateful for any help.

Richard
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

rjdavies47 wrote:How do I mount the USB stick to copy the files to it? I will be extremely grateful for any help.
All you need to do is write the image to the stick as per the instructions. Then, unplug the stick and plug it back in again. If you have written the image to the stick correctly, the boot partition will mount automatically and you'll be able to see the 'reflash' directory.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
alanchev70

Post by alanchev70 »

HELP!!!!
I have tried to reflash my joggler but just sticks on o2 screen. Reflash says all done and powers off but when i go to power back on it just hangs at o2 sign. Been flashed before with no problems as been running Pnp2. Unit will only boot reflash while attached to USB keyboard and hub now and every time says all complete and powers off etc.

Can i install any other OS still ? Joli etc...... anything is better than nothing.
Last edited by alanchev70 on Sun May 13, 2012 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
rjdavies47

Post by rjdavies47 »

roobarb! wrote:
rjdavies47 wrote:How do I mount the USB stick to copy the files to it? I will be extremely grateful for any help.
All you need to do is write the image to the stick as per the instructions. Then, unplug the stick and plug it back in again. If you have written the image to the stick correctly, the boot partition will mount automatically and you'll be able to see the 'reflash' directory.
Thanks for the reply. It seems that my problem was associated with the writing to the USB stick on my Mac. The file system was screwed up in some way. In the end I did the first stage in Windows XP and then when I plugged the stick back in OS X offered up jog-boot and I was able to write to it.

The USB stick then appeared to reflash the joggler but it stuck on the O2 screen when restarted :( So as per instructions I put a file named "repart" in the "reflash" directory and restarted the joggler but nothing happened.

So I am stuck on the O2 screen again.

Richard
Positivity

Post by Positivity »

Hello,

This may have been asked before, but I have searched and cannot find the answer...

Is there a way to backup the Joggler? I am thinking it would be good if once I have it fully working and customised with the apps I want I could insert a USB key, reboot and the internal memory is written out as an image to the USB key. I could then transfer this image to the reflashing tool and use it to restore the Joggler to a known good point at any time. This would totally future proof it against unwanted updates.

Is this easy to do? Any thoughts?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Positivity wrote:Hello,

This may have been asked before, but I have searched and cannot find the answer...

Is there a way to backup the Joggler? I am thinking it would be good if once I have it fully working and customised with the apps I want I could insert a USB key, reboot and the internal memory is written out as an image to the USB key. I could then transfer this image to the reflashing tool and use it to restore the Joggler to a known good point at any time. This would totally future proof it against unwanted updates.

Is this easy to do? Any thoughts?
You would have to considerably modify the reflash tool to do this - it's not designed as a 'flash anything to the internal memory' stick. In fact, it's very specific about what it will flash and checks first!

Easiest way - download Ubuntu from BuZz, write it to a stick, boot it and type this in a terminal.

Code: Select all

sudo dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=backup.img bs=1M
That will write the flash contents out to a file. Reverse the input and output to restore, ie.

Code: Select all

sudo dd if=backup.img of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=1M
Should do the trick.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
rjdavies47

Post by rjdavies47 »

Having attached a powered USB hub and keyboard I have been able to reflash my Joggler but I am unable to get past the O2 screen when I restart it. I have notice the message "EFI: ioremap failed" on the screen before the reflash starts. Does that mean that my Joggler is trashed?

I have also reflashed with the "repart" file in the "reflash" folder and I could see the message saying that the partitions had been created but on rebooting it still sticks on the O2 screen.

Just to see if I could get something to work I wrote the Joli OS to a USB. The startup screen shows OK and the message
"keys: Continue to wait; or Press S to skip or M for manual recovery" appears on the screen. Nothing else happens if I wait. Is this also due to the EFI: ioremap failure?

I have now exhausted all the online help that you guys have posted so is there anything else I can do to bring my Joggler back to life.

Richard
samk

Post by samk »

I can confirm that the reflash tool works on jogglers that have been updated with the software that disables telnet (F/W 8964 and S/W 30291)
Positivity

Post by Positivity »

thank you Roobarb! for the sudo dd commands - will make use of them once I get my joggler working again
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Positivity wrote:thank you Roobarb! for the sudo dd commands - will make use of them once I get my joggler working again
Cheers, hope it all goes to plan!
roger l

Post by roger l »

Sorry if this is not posted in the correct place. I think I have tried reflashing about 12 times now (over 6 months) without any luck. Feels like I am missing something very basic.

I have followed the quick instructions and the full version. I am using a 8GB Sandisk USB stick (previously unused) in an Ubuntu 10.04 LTS machine (32bit). The USB stick is Fat 32 formatted.
When it says "write the image" I have copied and extracted the Reflashing image and have never seen the "jog-boot" appear. I have put the image on the stick and removed it as it advised in one post and it did not come up as "jog-boot" at all. It came up with some numbers which refer to the Sandisk stick. I am so far away from reflashing that I feel I have not learned something very basic it seems.
My out of action Joggler does not go past a Faded O2 start up. I may have to go back to Gaga Linux basics to distinguish writing copying and extracting because I have tried all of them. I have seen the image on the stick, but it never comes up with code when it is put in the ill Joggler. I need some basic definitions. I have been with Ubuntu for a while, but maybe have to go back to school on this one.
My woking Joggler has updated and my success or failure with the ill one will determine whether I do anything to that one or just give up altogether.
Please help.
ColinO

Post by ColinO »

I hope you can help.
I've followed the reflashing instructions (for Windows) and insert the imaged USB stick into the joggler and switched it on.
It runs through the scripts with a series of errors and then bails out and switches off.
If I paste the annotations below can you tell me if there's anything further I can try or am I doing something wrong?
Thank you very much for any help! :)

PS The joggler is with OpenPeak logo

Booting 'Ubuntu Lucid - 3.1.9joggler1'

[Linux-bzImage, setup=0x3600, size=0x3585d0
Video mode: 800x400-32
Frame buffer base: 0x1fc00000
Video line length: 3200
{Initrd, addres0x178a1000, size=0x49349c]

ACPI: no DMI BIOS year, force is required to enable ACPI
EFI: ioremap of 0x1FAF0000failed!
i8042: No controller found
sd 2:0:0:0: Asking for cache data failed
sd 2:0:0:0: Assuming drive cache : write through

Setting eth0 MAC address to 00:5a:e0:41:49:3c

mmc2: unrecognised EXT_CSD structure version 238
mmc2: error -22 whilst initialising MMC card
waiting for things to settle...mmc2: unrecognised EXT_CSD structure version 238

ready.

*Asking all remaining processes to terminate ...
*All processes ended within 1 seconds...
*Deconfiguring network interfaces...
*Deactivating swap...
*Unmounting weak filesystems...
*Unmounting local filesystems...

mount: / is busy
*will now halt
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

ColinO wrote:mmc2: unrecognised EXT_CSD structure version 238
waiting for things to settle...mmc2: unrecognised EXT_CSD structure version 238
I have a Joggler which does that and I believe that the internal flash memory is completely hosed.

Unless someone can correct me, I don't think you're going to be able to put anything on that internal memory chip. My advice would be to find a nice, small memory stick to go in the side and run one of the Ubuntu operating systems on it instead. Joli OS is my favourite. :)
ColinO

Post by ColinO »

roobarb! wrote: I have a Joggler which does that and I believe that the internal flash memory is completely hosed.

Unless someone can correct me, I don't think you're going to be able to put anything on that internal memory chip. My advice would be to find a nice, small memory stick to go in the side and run one of the Ubuntu operating systems on it instead. Joli OS is my favourite. :)
Thanks for your quick reply! :D I'll give the Joli OS a try.
photor

Post by photor »

haha
sixedup

Post by sixedup »

I seem to be having real problems creating the bootable USB key. I downloaded the Reflash image from http://birdslikewires.co.uk/download/jo ... 107.img.gz and checked the MD5, which was OK. I then downloaded the latest reflash script, and the Open Peak image from http://o2.openpeak.co.uk/firmware/app-o ... eimage.tgz.

I then tried to follow the instructions to create the USB, using:
gzip -dc lucid-3.1.9joggler1-r107.img.gz | sudo dd of=/dev/sdX bs=1M
but unfortunately I get a USB key that cannot be mounted afterwards - the filesystem is not recognised. I've tried this with several USB keys, both onto a partion on the key (ie /dev/sdb1) and onto an unpartitioned key (ie, /dev/sdb) and nothing is working.

Clearly I'm missing something very obvious here! Any help much appreciated. I'm running Ubuntu 11.10 if that matters.
rjdavies47

Post by rjdavies47 »

sixedup wrote:I seem to be having real problems creating the bootable USB key. I downloaded the Reflash image from http://birdslikewires.co.uk/download/jo ... 107.img.gz and checked the MD5, which was OK. I then downloaded the latest reflash script, and the Open Peak image from http://o2.openpeak.co.uk/firmware/app-o ... eimage.tgz.

I then tried to follow the instructions to create the USB, using:
gzip -dc lucid-3.1.9joggler1-r107.img.gz | sudo dd of=/dev/sdX bs=1M
but unfortunately I get a USB key that cannot be mounted afterwards - the filesystem is not recognised. I've tried this with several USB keys, both onto a partion on the key (ie /dev/sdb1) and onto an unpartitioned key (ie, /dev/sdb) and nothing is working.

Clearly I'm missing something very obvious here! Any help much appreciated. I'm running Ubuntu 11.10 if that matters.
I had the same problem when trying to write a USB stick using the instructions for Mac OS X. When I used the procedure given for Windows I was able to mount the USB stick and copy the other files onto it. I used Windows XP running under Fusion on my Mac.

Richard
David11

Post by David11 »

rjdavies47 wrote:Having attached a powered USB hub and keyboard I have been able to reflash my Joggler but I am unable to get past the O2 screen when I restart it. I have notice the message "EFI: ioremap failed" on the screen before the reflash starts. Does that mean that my Joggler is trashed?

I have also reflashed with the "repart" file in the "reflash" folder and I could see the message saying that the partitions had been created but on rebooting it still sticks on the O2 screen.

Just to see if I could get something to work I wrote the Joli OS to a USB. The startup screen shows OK and the message
"keys: Continue to wait; or Press S to skip or M for manual recovery" appears on the screen. Nothing else happens if I wait. Is this also due to the EFI: ioremap failure?

I have now exhausted all the online help that you guys have posted so is there anything else I can do to bring my Joggler back to life.

Richard
I'm in the same position, including the " EFI: ioremap failed" message at the ebginning of the reflash...does this mean the internal memory is hosed and I should stop trying....any ideas...
sixedup

Post by sixedup »

rjdavies47 wrote: I had the same problem when trying to write a USB stick using the instructions for Mac OS X. When I used the procedure given for Windows I was able to mount the USB stick and copy the other files onto it. I used Windows XP running under Fusion on my Mac.
Interesting. I just tried again using Windows XP SP3 running under VirtualBox, and get exactly the same problem. The resulting USB key looks like it's had rubbish written to it rather than a populated file system. Normally I'd suspect a problem with the downloaded image, except that it passes the MD5 check. I'm mightily confused.
Richard
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

David11 wrote:I'm in the same position, including the " EFI: ioremap failed" message at the ebginning of the reflash...does this mean the internal memory is hosed and I should stop trying....any ideas...
That message doesn't have anything to do with your internal flash memory; it's normal, don't worry about it.