Reflashing Tool for the O2 Joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
roobarb!

Re: Reflashing Tool for the O2 Joggler

Post by roobarb! »

Utakos wrote:Joggler still will not update clock, turned auto on/off/on and saved servers but still defaults back to Monday, 21 September 12:00 any idea?
If you've got SSH access to the Joggler, log in and type the following two lines:

Code: Select all

nvram -w net.ntpenabled=YES
nvram -w net.firsttime=No
Reboot and you should be fine.

The last release of the reflash tool fixes this (v1.04) and a slightly reworked version will be available tomorrow.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

And now v1.05 is ready. Hopefully this should iron out all of the known issues.

There's an extra file to copy to the USB stick after the system has been copied to it, so please re-read the instructions if you need to use it.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
psionguy

Post by psionguy »

I have just tried the new reflash image vs 1.5, but still having problems. The joggler boots and gets as far as (Joggler logon:) and that is where it stays.

To confirm I have downloaded the new reflash image and have loaded onto my USB using win32diskmanager, no problem there. Then added the app-02flash file into my reflash folder, and lastly the joggler flash also into the reflash folder which is shown as a txt file ie: jogglerflash.txt.

Have tried 3 different usb sticks but still getting the same problem, what am I doing wrong?
Utakos

Post by Utakos »

+1 having the same problem as psionguy
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

The file must be called jogglerflash - not jogglerflash.txt. Remove that .txt extension and you're good to go.
psionguy

Post by psionguy »

roobarb! wrote:The file must be called jogglerflash - not jogglerflash.txt. Remove that .txt extension and you're good to go.
Many thanks will give it another go.
psionguy

Post by psionguy »

psionguy wrote:I have just tried the new reflash image vs 1.5, but still having problems. The joggler boots and gets as far as (Joggler logon:) and that is where it stays.

To confirm I have downloaded the new reflash image and have loaded onto my USB using win32diskmanager, no problem there. Then added the app-02flash file into my reflash folder, and lastly the joggler flash also into the reflash folder which is shown as a txt file ie: jogglerflash.txt.

Have tried 3 different usb sticks but still getting the same problem, what am I doing wrong?

Ok I have now renamed jogglerflash.txt to jogglerflash, and still no joy. Boot starts OK, and then it hangs on stalling for network, I then get the message unable to connect to the 02 firmware server at openpeak, and then a countdown from 10 and powers off.

To confirm:
1) Both the app-02flash file and jogglerflash are in the flash folder.
2) Have also connected it to a wired internet.
3) app-02flash is inserted as the original zipped file and not uncompressed.
It seems not to recognise the app-02flash file, or see internet connection.

Just for interest I have been using this unit with joli boot disk which works perfectly.

Any suggestions would be very welcomed.
Mozza

Post by Mozza »

Hi all,

I'm having the same issue as danjog2, where by my joggler is stuck in a reboot loop, stating that it'll restart now that it has updated.

Also, when trying to reflash it gives me the error that it can't connect to server, even though i've followed the instructions and copied and renamed batch file and have o2 openpeak image in correct folder and tried with several mem sticks.

It's driving me nuts!!

Any solution as I can't even telnet in, though it will let me boot to ubuntu.

TIA,

Mozza
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

psionguy wrote:Ok I have now renamed jogglerflash.txt to jogglerflash, and still no joy. Boot starts OK, and then it hangs on stalling for network, I then get the message unable to connect to the 02 firmware server at openpeak, and then a countdown from 10 and powers off.

To confirm:
If the script is trying to connect to the OpenPeak server then we know two things; the script is running fine, but it hasn't found your reimage file. Could you check that the reimage file is named app-o2flash-26635.8686-S3-f1-reimage.tgz and that this name hasn't been mangled by your browser for some reason when you downloaded it.

Even if the file is faulty, so long as it has that name the script will check it's integrity and let you know whether it can be used or not. If it's faulty it will be deleted and an attempt will be made to download a new copy. If it's intact, the reflash will continue.

I've just downloaded everything once more and tried it - it's working fine for me. Just double-check that file name.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Mozza wrote:I'm having the same issue as danjog2, where by my joggler is stuck in a reboot loop, stating that it'll restart now that it has updated.
This is a separate issue that I think deserves it's own thread. I think there might actually be one that was started recently - I'll check and we can move discussion of the rebooting problem to there.
Mozza wrote:Also, when trying to reflash it gives me the error that it can't connect to server, even though i've followed the instructions and copied and renamed batch file and have o2 openpeak image in correct folder and tried with several mem sticks.
Please check my reply to psionguy above - the naming of the files is the only thing that should give you that kind of problem.

I have managed to work out why people aren't getting a network connection. I'll fix that tomorrow, but it's a problem with the system image, so it'll require a chunky download again.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Updates!

The system image has been altered with a couple of important changes. Firstly, everyone should now get a working network connection, so your Joggler should be able to fetch the reimage file from OpenPeak automatically if you've got wired ethernet attached.

Secondly, the system now doesn't care whether the script is called jogglerflash, jogglerflash.txt, jogglerflash.sh... So long as 'jogglerflash' is in there somewhere and there's only one instance, it'll run it as the reflashing program. So just one file with 'jogglerflash' in the name, please.

If you still get a failure, please read the error message and let me know on this thread what it said. You can tell if you're running the new system image or not because if it doesn't have a 'jogglerflash' file to run it will show v1.03.
psionguy

Post by psionguy »

roobarb! wrote:
psionguy wrote:Ok I have now renamed jogglerflash.txt to jogglerflash, and still no joy. Boot starts OK, and then it hangs on stalling for network, I then get the message unable to connect to the 02 firmware server at openpeak, and then a countdown from 10 and powers off.

To confirm:
If the script is trying to connect to the OpenPeak server then we know two things; the script is running fine, but it hasn't found your reimage file. Could you check that the reimage file is named app-o2flash-26635.8686-S3-f1-reimage.tgz and that this name hasn't been mangled by your browser for some reason when you downloaded it.

Even if the file is faulty, so long as it has that name the script will check it's integrity and let you know whether it can be used or not. If it's faulty it will be deleted and an attempt will be made to download a new copy. If it's intact, the reflash will continue.

I've just downloaded everything once more and tried it - it's working fine for me. Just double-check that file name.
Hi, and many thanks for your help. I have checked the name and yes it has been changed there was a (1) added at the end of the name. Amended and now showing detail request on logon, appears to be working 100%, you are a star. :D
bejeezus

Post by bejeezus »

Hi

I managed to brick my Joggler while installing the OpenPeak skin option in PnP. When turned on the Joggler now cycles between the O2 logo and a black screen.

I have tried the reflasher but I'm struggling a little with this..

I've written the image to the stick using your instructions for OS X then downloaded and copied the reflash.sh and app-o2flash-26635.8686-S3-f1-reimage.tgz to the reflash folder from the OS X finder and rebooted with a network cable attached.

So far I've used 3 different memory sticks - with little success..

One which is unbranded didnt even mount.

The other two (a 1gb Kingston DataTraveller and a micro usb stick) both start to mount but only ever seem to get this far..

I have a feel its probably something I've misunderstood so any advice greatly appreciated!..
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

bejeezus wrote:The other two (a 1gb Kingston DataTraveller and a micro usb stick) both start to mount but only ever seem to get this far..

I have a feel its probably something I've misunderstood so any advice greatly appreciated!..
Okay, well that stick is definitely booting. If you leave it sat at that screen for a while do you receive any other messages? If it fails at that point and gives you no other messages, I would blame the memory stick as this is the first point at which it is needing to load a decent amount of data. If it sits there for a while and then gives you another error message, post back and let me know what the message is. You're not booting using a USB hub are you?

Also, do you have any hardware modifications to your Joggler?
bejeezus

Post by bejeezus »

roobarb! wrote:
bejeezus wrote:The other two (a 1gb Kingston DataTraveller and a micro usb stick) both start to mount but only ever seem to get this far..

Okay, well that stick is definitely booting. If you leave it sat at that screen for a while do you receive any other messages? If it fails at that point and gives you no other messages, I would blame the memory stick as this is the first point at which it is needing to load a decent amount of data. If it sits there for a while and then gives you another error message, post back and let me know what the message is. You're not booting using a USB hub are you?

Also, do you have any hardware modifications to your Joggler?
Thanks for the reply!

I've left it at that point for 2-3 hours with no errors and no activity from the memory stick after this point - should I be leaving it for longer?

I have now got to exactly this same point using three different memory sticks and I'm not using a USB hub or hardware mods.

The annoying thing is its 2 weeks out of warranty otherwise I would have just taken it back to O2.
bejeezus

Post by bejeezus »

Strange thing was that this morning when I turned on I got a wierd bootscreen similar to this pic (I just nicked off ebay)..

It did this a few times but seems to be starting up ok now - never had this before - Any ideas?
AshleyGiles

Post by AshleyGiles »

roobarb! wrote:
AshleyGiles wrote:My Joggler said that the reflashing process was complete so I powered off, removed the flash drive and powered on and its still just freezes on the 02 boot screen. Does this mean it hasn't/won't work or do I just need to use a better flash drive?
Did the reflash sections complete successfully? There will be three rounds where it should count up to 100%, plus rebuilding the boot partition. This should take a good few minutes. Afterwards an initial boot can take up to five minutes.

If things happened as described, I'm not sure what else may be wrong with your Joggler, unless it's NVRAM or EFI related.
Yeah it got to the end and said 'Reflashing Complete' or something...I used an LG memory stick so I don't think there would be any issue of quality of flashdrive....out of ideas really. Might sell it as faulty on eBay.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

bejeezus wrote:Strange thing was that this morning when I turned on I got a wierd bootscreen similar to this pic (I just nicked off ebay)..

It did this a few times but seems to be starting up ok now - never had this before - Any ideas?
Hardware issue? EFI problem? They're my best guesses for something that early in the boot. Very odd.

Well, let us know if it keeps running!
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

AshleyGiles wrote:Yeah it got to the end and said 'Reflashing Complete' or something...I used an LG memory stick so I don't think there would be any issue of quality of flashdrive....out of ideas really. Might sell it as faulty on eBay.
Have you tried a more recent version of the reflashing system? The one up on my site clears NVRAM settings as well, so it might be worth another shot. There aren't any hardware mods that have been done to the device, are there? If it'll boot a USB stick and the internal memory checks out as okay there shouldn't be a whole lot stopping it from working...
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

getting stuff after loading the initramfs as said is very likely to be the usb stick. joggler is a little fussy about sticks. could also be a hardware issue of course. edit the grub.cfg in the first partition from windows/linux and remove the "quiet" keyword, and you should get a more verbose output