Reflashing Tool for the O2 Joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
roobarb!

Re: Reflashing Tool for the O2 Joggler

Post by roobarb! »

rjdavies47 wrote:Is there going to be a reflasher issued by O2? I thought that yours is the only one available for us to use. I will certainly report back if I ever manage to get my Joggler working again.
There was one available on here for a short while, but because there were problems with the software O2 asked us to remove it. We've been told that a new version should be available soon, as OpenPeak had a newer version of their OS. I'm assuming that this is undergoing the appropriate tweaks to make it release-ready at the moment.

I do plan on making another reflashing tool at some point in the future, but with everything uncertain at the moment there's just no point in investing any time right now. The current reflash tool should be able to take any Joggler back to the 26635 software, from which it should update to 30291 (or whatever release follows).

Why some Joggler refuse to boot even after a successful reflash is still a bit of a mystery. So far as I can tell, the internal flash memory is not ready when the EFI software checks for it (it never appears as a device). I could be wrong, though!
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
rjdavies47

Post by rjdavies47 »

roobarb! wrote:
rjdavies47 wrote:Is there going to be a reflasher issued by O2? I thought that yours is the only one available for us to use. I will certainly report back if I ever manage to get my Joggler working again.
There was one available on here for a short while, but because there were problems with the software O2 asked us to remove it. We've been told that a new version should be available soon, as OpenPeak had a newer version of their OS. I'm assuming that this is undergoing the appropriate tweaks to make it release-ready at the moment.

I do plan on making another reflashing tool at some point in the future, but with everything uncertain at the moment there's just no point in investing any time right now. The current reflash tool should be able to take any Joggler back to the 26635 software, from which it should update to 30291 (or whatever release follows).

Why some Joggler refuse to boot even after a successful reflash is still a bit of a mystery. So far as I can tell, the internal flash memory is not ready when the EFI software checks for it (it never appears as a device). I could be wrong, though!
Thanks for the information. I had seen that O2 had asked for their software to be removed but I did not realise that it was a complete reflashing tool. Many thanks for all your good work, it is much appreciated.

Richard
rjdavies47

Post by rjdavies47 »

roobarb!

As a number of us have Jogglers that stick on the O2 screen after reflashing would it be possible to run the Joggler O2 system from a USB as a tempory measure. This would at least get us going again.

I have been reading a bit more about the EFI etc but setting up a USB based system is completely beyond me. Presumably it would be along the lines of the Android and Joli OS implementations.

Richard
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Am going mad. Have been unable to reflash - as I can't get the right info onto a usb - despite the kind step by step guides. Have used a couple of the methods kindly posted on here but I just can't seem to get it right. Have gone back to the birdslikewire method BUT I cannot copy the reflashing script onto the stick as I cannot see the files on the usb once the reflashing system has been written to it as windows says the usb is no longer formatted and won't let me into the files. How can I see the files on the usb? Clearly there is something else I need to do - but I have no idea what that is. All I have managed to do so far is write the reflashing system onto the usb. That's it.....

Have been at it for hours and it's driving me crazy. Darrenkellum very kindly posted a different longer way of reflashing - I couldn't get that to work either (I know that it's me and not the method)! Please help.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

ilovemyjoggler wrote: Have gone back to the birdslikewire method BUT I cannot copy the reflashing script onto the stick as I cannot see the files on the usb once the reflashing system has been written to it as windows says the usb is no longer formatted and won't let me into the files. How can I see the files on the usb?
did you make sure you also unpacked the .img.gz file to a .img file first before writing it ? (using 7-zip)
after writing the image to the disk did you unplug and plug the usb stick back in ?
roobarb!

Reflashing Tool for the O2 Joggler

Post by roobarb! »

rjdavies47 wrote:As a number of us have Jogglers that stick on the O2 screen after reflashing would it be possible to run the Joggler O2 system from a USB as a tempory measure. This would at least get us going again.
Unfortunately not - the O2/OP systems don't have the necessary drivers to allow them to boot from USB. This has been tried in the past, I'm afraid.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

BuZz wrote:
ilovemyjoggler wrote: Have gone back to the birdslikewire method BUT I cannot copy the reflashing script onto the stick as I cannot see the files on the usb once the reflashing system has been written to it as windows says the usb is no longer formatted and won't let me into the files. How can I see the files on the usb?
did you make sure you also unpacked the .img.gz file to a .img file first before writing it ? (using 7-zip)
after writing the image to the disk did you unplug and plug the usb stick back in ?
I have deleted everything, formatted the usb, and started from scratch. Baby steps. Maybe my glaring mistakes can be identified.

Working with windows xp - from the links I have downloaded the win32diskimager and source zip folders onto desktop. I have run and saved the 7-zip.exe file but the 7-zip.msi file will not install (on download attempt it says its not supported by my processor type). Then right click on each win32disk zipped folder, select 7zip and select extract to... Creates a new folder with no zip but same name. The source file now shows files which cannot be opened. The other file has the win32 disk imager in it. Nowhere can I see the .img.gz file (do I need to do some kind of search?).

When I open the win32 disk imager I get error 8 (an error occured when attempting to get the device information) which I close and then the box for the writer appears.

Can someone please tell me what I've done wrong so far? Have managed to give myself a blinding headache...
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Has anyone actually filmed downloading and getting this stuff on a usb (step by step for thickos like me) and stuck it on youtube... It would be like one on one training - can't tell you how helpful it would be... :?
johnnygal

Post by johnnygal »

ilovemyjoggler wrote: When I open the win32 disk imager I get error 8 (an error occured when attempting to get the device information) which I close and then the box for the writer appears.
If you are getting this error message, I would try another usb stick.

Another windows based USB image writing tool is:
USB Image Tool http://www.alexpage.de/usb-image-tool/
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

johnnygal wrote:
ilovemyjoggler wrote: When I open the win32 disk imager I get error 8 (an error occured when attempting to get the device information) which I close and then the box for the writer appears.

The error message is while working on the pc - haven't got the files on the usb stick at this point. Thanks for the other link though. Will give that a go too!
andy

Post by andy »

Hi, I have just managed to reflash my joggler and got the old operating system working fully, including the connect and play, radio and text messaging service. I did try the pnp 111 software but that lost all the internet connections wired and wireless. So I have reflashed again. (using Birdslikewires, huge thanks to those guys for the excellent tool).
Telnet now works, but I do not know the login name and password. Can anyone please help. I have tried the ones posted. (root, letmein etc)

Thanks

Andy
roger l

Post by roger l »

Thanks for the guidance Richard (sixedup ). I think I understand what you say. Will check Fileroller and try again. Yes I did pipe it with the results previously posted.
rjdavies47

Post by rjdavies47 »

roobarb! wrote:
rjdavies47 wrote:As a number of us have Jogglers that stick on the O2 screen after reflashing would it be possible to run the Joggler O2 system from a USB as a tempory measure. This would at least get us going again.
Unfortunately not - the O2/OP systems don't have the necessary drivers to allow them to boot from USB. This has been tried in the past, I'm afraid.
roobarb! - thanks for the reply. I will just have to wait for O2 to do their best.

Richard
johnnygal

Post by johnnygal »

ilovemyjoggler wrote:
johnnygal wrote:

The error message is while working on the pc - haven't got the files on the usb stick at this point. Thanks for the other link though. Will give that a go too!
Yep, I know you meant the error was on the PC. My thinking was that the Win32DiskImager tool was reporting difficulty in obtaining information from the USB stick (assume it's plugged in at this point?), as Win32DiskImager is trying to establish what USB devices are available on the PC.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

At that point usb was not plugged in. Have tried to do it all to usb since then still get an error message but no matter how many times I download the Win32DiskImager tool I can't see a file with img.gz. Right now usb is in. Downloaded (for nth time the diskimager) and theoretically unpacked it. Still getting that error message which I ignore although will enable me write - just can'f find what I need to write. Have tried another usb stick no difference.
Now I'm even questioning whether I have got the correct Win32DiskImager.
johnnygal

Post by johnnygal »

ilovemyjoggler wrote:At that point usb was not plugged in. Have tried to do it all to usb since then still get an error message but no matter how many times I download the Win32DiskImager tool I can't see a file with img.gz. Right now usb is in. Downloaded (for nth time the diskimager) and theoretically unpacked it. Still getting that error message which I ignore although will enable me write - just can'f find what I need to write. Have tried another usb stick no difference.
Now I'm even questioning whether I have got the correct Win32DiskImager.
It's the .img file you need to write to the USB. The file downloads as .img.gz but it needs unpacking to obtain the .img file.
The img.gz file is here:
http://birdslikewires.co.uk/download/jo ... 107.img.gz
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Thank you, thank you. I have now followed successfully most of the steps!! However next snag is I can't copy the flashing script in the reflash directory to the usb as windows won't let me see the files on the stick - the same problem I had last night at 2am!!! It's saying that the usb isn't formatted (it's a working stick - I tested it with other files and cleaned it before writing to it)
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Hold that - I may have developments!! Will let you know in a few mins...
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Am almost there! My joggler has powered to life for the first time since the upgrade but one last bit (I hope) seems to be wrong with flashing. It is not connecting the the o2 firmware server at openpeak. I am doing this wirelessly and have downloaded and copied the openpeak link. to the reflash directory. Windows changed it to .gz and I renamed .tgz by right clicking on it and adding that to the end. It does still show it as a GZ file type. What else should I have done or is it best to connect it to my modem?
andy

Post by andy »

by ilovemyjoggler » Sun May 20, 2012 12:51 pm

Am almost there! My joggler has powered to life for the first time since the upgrade but one last bit (I hope) seems to be wrong with flashing. It is not connecting the the o2 firmware server at openpeak. I am doing this wirelessly and have downloaded and copied the openpeak link. to the reflash directory. Windows changed it to .gz and I renamed .tgz by right clicking on it and adding that to the end. It does still show it as a GZ file type. What else should I have done or is it best to connect it to my modem?
Having the Joggler wired to the network, worked straight forward for me. I think that would be the best option.

Andy