Reflashing Tool for the O2 Joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
roobarb!

Re: Reflashing Tool for the O2 Joggler

Post by roobarb! »

sixedup wrote:
rjdavies47 wrote: I had the same problem when trying to write a USB stick using the instructions for Mac OS X. When I used the procedure given for Windows I was able to mount the USB stick and copy the other files onto it. I used Windows XP running under Fusion on my Mac.
Interesting. I just tried again using Windows XP SP3 running under VirtualBox, and get exactly the same problem. The resulting USB key looks like it's had rubbish written to it rather than a populated file system. Normally I'd suspect a problem with the downloaded image, except that it passes the MD5 check. I'm mightily confused.
Richard
Are you sure you're decompressing the image before you write it?
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
sixedup

Post by sixedup »

It seems not.

I've been using gzip to pipe the image into dd as per your webpage, but this time I extracted the .img file with FileRoller. Running "file lucid-3.1.9joggler1-r107.img" results in:

lucid-3.1.9joggler1-r107.img: x86 boot sector; partition 1: ID=0xe, active, starthead 0, startsector 2048, 180224 sectors; partition 2: ID=0x83, starthead 3, startsector 182272, 792576 sectors, code offset 0xb8

... which looks sensible. DD'ing that to the USB key works perfectly.

So it looks like something odd was going on in gzip/dd/sudo or the pipes between them.
IanL

Post by IanL »

Hi chaps.

I got my joggler up and running last night using this tool - many thanks for the efforts but then when I powered it on after leaving it off overnight to prevent another O2 update it would not boot, even though I got it working last night. It just sticks at the O2 logo.

I then tried my reflashing USB stick again but it stops after some video size message (only about four messages in to the booting). If anyone has any ideas then I would love to hear them, also can anyone advise if the reflashing USB is only good for one reflash attempt and do you then need to rebuild it or should it work time and time again?

Thanks,

Ian
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Nope, should work repeatedly. In fact, it should work quicker the second time as it will already have downloaded the image and stored it. Unless, of course, you did that manually in the first place.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
roger l

Post by roger l »

Can I just ask a shorter question then? Do i create a directory entry called jog-boot?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

roger l wrote:Can I just ask a shorter question then? Do i create a directory entry called jog-boot?
No, jog-boot is the name of the partition.
roger l

Post by roger l »

I have never seen any partition named jog-boot yet, so I am guessing that I have to manually create it. I s that correct?
johnnygal

Post by johnnygal »

roger l wrote:Sorry if this is not posted in the correct place. I think I have tried reflashing about 12 times now (over 6 months) without any luck. Feels like I am missing something very basic.

I have followed the quick instructions and the full version. I am using a 8GB Sandisk USB stick (previously unused) in an Ubuntu 10.04 LTS machine (32bit). The USB stick is Fat 32 formatted.
When it says "write the image" I have copied and extracted the Reflashing image and have never seen the "jog-boot" appear. I have put the image on the stick and removed it as it advised in one post and it did not come up as "jog-boot" at all. It came up with some numbers which refer to the Sandisk stick. I am so far away from reflashing that I feel I have not learned something very basic it seems.
My out of action Joggler does not go past a Faded O2 start up. I may have to go back to Gaga Linux basics to distinguish writing copying and extracting because I have tried all of them. I have seen the image on the stick, but it never comes up with code when it is put in the ill Joggler. I need some basic definitions. I have been with Ubuntu for a while, but maybe have to go back to school on this one.
My woking Joggler has updated and my success or failure with the ill one will determine whether I do anything to that one or just give up altogether.
Please help.
A couple of questions to try and help you..
You state you are using Ubuntu to write the image to the usb stick. What command are you using to write the image?
If you're piping the output of gzip into dd, I suggest you try unzipping first to a new file and then writing that file with dd to the stick.
I have seen the image on the stick
?? You aren't just copying the file over are you? Maybe post a screenshot of the contents of the usb stick after your process.

One possibility is that the joggler is not looking at the external usb port for booting. You may have to connect a USB hub so you can use a keyboard to interrupt the efi boot process:
See cbredfred first post on this page http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... =fs0#p8024 for how to tell the joggler to boot from external usb stick.
roger l

Post by roger l »

Thanks Johnnygal for the reply. I copied the line of script into terminal using my USB stick identifier sdd1 and I think that it was still in the download folder on Ubuntu so it wasn't found. Will post an image of what is on the stick. I have got a little further and have now got a samll output on screen of the joggler.
to summarise haven't got a photo yet;
starts
acpi: no DMI Bios year acpi force is req
efi io remap of 0xI FAF0000failed
i80421: no controller found
uncompression error
kernel panic-netsyncing:vfs unable to mount root fs unknown block (0,0)
call trace
lots of addresses down the left hand side and on the right: panic
mount block root
sys mknod
mount root
prepare namespace
?sys access
kernel_ init
?parse_early options
kernel thread helper

at that point it has stopped.

It is plugged in to a wired ethernet.
rjdavies47

Post by rjdavies47 »

roobarb! wrote:
David11 wrote:I'm in the same position, including the " EFI: ioremap failed" message at the ebginning of the reflash...does this mean the internal memory is hosed and I should stop trying....any ideas...
That message doesn't have anything to do with your internal flash memory; it's normal, don't worry about it.
Thanks for the info rhoobarb! I had given up on my Joggler but perhaps I should keep trying. However, I have already tried various alternative OS and I have not got past the the splash screens. The latest one that I have tried is Android and again it sticks: the android shows together with a rotating message and a flashing black box cursor but nothing more.

Any ideas?

Richard
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

roger l wrote:I copied the line of script into terminal using my USB stick identifier sdd1
Don't write the image to sdd1 (if that is where the stick is appearing) - write to sdd. For example:

Code: Select all

gzip -dc lucid-3.1.9joggler1-r107.img.gz | dd of=/dev/sdd bs=1M
Or if you decompress the image file manually beforehand:

Code: Select all

dd if=lucid-3.1.9joggler1-r107.img of=/dev/sdd bs=1M
That should work.
sixedup

Post by sixedup »

roger l wrote:Thanks Johnnygal for the reply. I copied the line of script into terminal using my USB stick identifier sdd1 and I think that it was still in the download folder on Ubuntu so it wasn't found. Will post an image of what is on the stick. I have got a little further and have now got a samll output on screen of the joggler.
I think there are problems with piping the output from gzip into dd (under Ubuntu). I was eventually successful in creating a working USB key (see http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... =180#p9955) when I did it all as separate operations.

To repeat what I did under Ubuntu:
Download the lucid-3.1.9joggler1-r107.img.gz
Open a terminal and cd to Downloads & check its MD5 using md5sum.
If Ok, then extract the image using fileroller (ie, from the GUI just double click on lucid-3.1.9joggler1-r107.img.gz, it will open in file-roller, and then you can extract lucid-3.1.9joggler1-r107.img
Back in the terminal do "file lucid-3.1.9joggler1-r107.img" and check you get something similar to what I reported in my referenced post.
If so, then do "sudo dd if=lucid-3.1.9joggler1-r107.img of=/dev/sdX bs=1M" NOTE that you are writing to the device, NOT the partition on it, so in your case, /dev/sdd, NOT /dev/sdd1.
Then issue "sync", and then remove and replug the USB key. You should have a working bootable key.

Hope that helps
Richard
David11

Post by David11 »

rjdavies47 wrote:
roobarb! wrote:
David11 wrote:I'm in the same position, including the " EFI: ioremap failed" message at the ebginning of the reflash...does this mean the internal memory is hosed and I should stop trying....any ideas...
That message doesn't have anything to do with your internal flash memory; it's normal, don't worry about it.
Thanks for the info rhoobarb! I had given up on my Joggler but perhaps I should keep trying. However, I have already tried various alternative OS and I have not got past the the splash screens. The latest one that I have tried is Android and again it sticks: the android shows together with a rotating message and a flashing black box cursor but nothing more.

Any ideas?

Richard

I still can't get past the O2 image when booting after reflash. Have previously done this without problems so not sure what the problem is now. Anyhow, SqueezeplayOS works perfectly from USB...

David
rjdavies47

Post by rjdavies47 »

David11 wrote: I still can't get past the O2 image when booting after reflash. Have previously done this without problems so not sure what the problem is now. Anyhow, SqueezeplayOS works perfectly from USB...

David
Squeezeplay works for me too but reflashing the Joggler still sticks on the O2 screen. I am thinking of buying a new USB stick so details of any sticks that are known to work when reflashing would be a big help.

Richard
David11

Post by David11 »

rjdavies47 wrote:
David11 wrote: I still can't get past the O2 image when booting after reflash. Have previously done this without problems so not sure what the problem is now. Anyhow, SqueezeplayOS works perfectly from USB...

David
Squeezeplay works for me too but reflashing the Joggler still sticks on the O2 screen. I am thinking of buying a new USB stick so details of any sticks that are known to work when reflashing would be a big help.

Richard
I'm not so sure it's a USB problem, for me at least. I have tried many different types- some new, some old, some borrowed....etc. Even those that were good to go before don't work now. I suspect that, instead, the O2 / Openpeak update process has somehow messed up my joggler. I'm waiting on a new update image from O2 to see if that will fix things....

David
IanL

Post by IanL »

David11 - have you been in touch with O2? - mine was working perfectly until the update and now they have knackered it. I tryied the reflash and while I got it to work once, after a reboot it stopped working again. Im pretty annoyed with O2 for destroying something I have paid for so I am interested to know if you have made a complaint and what the outcome was.

Thanks,

Ian
rjdavies47

Post by rjdavies47 »

David11

I have just tried a new SanDisk Cruzer Edge 4GB USB and it behaves exactly the same as my original Kingston USBs. The reflashing process finishes but on reboot I get the O2 screen and nothing more.

I will wait to see if O2 release a new version.

Richard
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

rjdavies47 wrote:I have just tried a new SanDisk Cruzer Edge 4GB USB and it behaves exactly the same as my original Kingston USBs. The reflashing process finishes but on reboot I get the O2 screen and nothing more.
Let me know if the official reflasher improves matters. I have Jogglers that will complete a reflash, but never boot - never been able to discover why.
stepoon

Post by stepoon »

After my joggler updated to the latest software then crashed I had to reflash it with original o2 using birds like wires reflasher. It booted etc and went back to original software. But when I switched it off it refuses to boot and now just hangs, any ideas? The only way I can get it to boot is by reflashing it from a USB Stick!
rjdavies47

Post by rjdavies47 »

roobarb! wrote:
rjdavies47 wrote:I have just tried a new SanDisk Cruzer Edge 4GB USB and it behaves exactly the same as my original Kingston USBs. The reflashing process finishes but on reboot I get the O2 screen and nothing more.
Let me know if the official reflasher improves matters. I have Jogglers that will complete a reflash, but never boot - never been able to discover why.
roobarb! Is there going to be a reflasher issued by O2? I thought that yours is the only one available for us to use. I will certainly report back if I ever manage to get my Joggler working again.

Richard